Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos (1073 Views)

Ogun Organises 5-Aside Football Competition, Puts Up One Million Naira Prize / Cristiano Ronaldo Issues Cryptic Instagram Post In Hint He Is Leaving Juventus / Francis Uzoho: LA Liga Facebook Makes A Post In Pidgin English, Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by Realboygenius(m): 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2018
5-a-side football, more popularly known as “Monkey Post” in some parts of Lagos, has become one of the state’s most popular sports. Its popularity is largely due to the ease of organisation and its use of a smaller pitch size when compared with standard football pitches.
Played with a team of four outfield players and one goalkeeper, the sport can be played both indoors and outdoors on grass, Astroturf, or even concrete.

With the recent kick off of Betways 5s League, Nigeria’s first ever organised 5-a-side competition, we’ve put together a list of the top seven regions in Lagos with the largest and most passionate fan base for 5-a-side football.
1. Oshodi
Regarded as one of the earliest adopters of the 5-a-side football format in Nigeria, Oshodi, is well known for its active role in grassroots football. Bolade and Mafoluku play host to most 5-a-side football games played in the Oshodi area. Young boys are usually seen at Apata Memorial High School or Oshodi High School on Saturdays.

2. Isolo
For many residents of Isolo, especially within the Aswani area, playing football during the weekends is a very old tradition. Saturday games in Isolo are such a well-established event that it is almost guaranteed the Isolo 5s team will have a huge fan base during the 5s League. Popular locations within Isolo where games are played include: Farombi primary school and LSDPC Estate field.

3. Surulere
Surulere, home to the National Stadium and Teslim Balogun Stadium is well known and respected for its football culture and history. On Saturdays, streets in Aguda, Akerele and Bode Thomas are blocked by boys playing football. One can only wonder if their love and passion for the game will reflect during the 5s League.

4. Ajegunle
Ajegunle, a neighbourhood located in the heart of Lagos is one of the major hubs for 5-a-side football. Boundary, Ogbowankwo, Olayinka and Arumo play host to grassroots football all year around. Notable Nigerian footballers like Samson Siasia, Odion Ighalo, Taribo West and Emmanuel Amunike all played on the dusty streets of Ajegunle. Will the 5s league provide a platform the next star from Ajegunle?

5. Mushin
For decades now, there has been endless debate between Mushin and Oshodi residents about the neighbourhood with the best 5-a-side football team. Thankfully, the 5s League is set to provide an opportunity for these 2 rivals to once again put their skills to test. With games attracting hundreds of spectators every weekend at Ilupeju and Idi Akala locations, we can only hope for the same level of support for their teams during the league.

6. Ikeja
Ikeja, the capital of Lagos, is also one of the region’s most popular locations for 5-a-side football. With young men from Opebi, Oregun, Ogba and Allen playing weekly, the game’s has never been more popular. In Ikeja, most 5-a-side football players are young professionals who are passionate about the beautiful game. Ikeja is also one of the venues for the 5s league, so we expect folks in the area to come out in mass to support their teams.

7. Lekki
Lekki is one of the locations of the 5s League. It will play host to a number of fixtures and with a passionate base of players and supporters, the region is likely to be a hive of activity during the tournament. The vast majority of players from Lekki are young professionals who play football engage in as a means to keep fit.

The 5s league kicked off on 1 September and will run for 9 weeks. Teams all over Lagos, will be playing in two locationsteams and player on the 5s official website. You’ll also be able to find match schedules, video highlights and league standings.
https://www.pulse.ng/gist/metro/here-are-7-lagos-5-a-side-football-hotbeds-id8880647.html#0

Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by Ennyholar: 12:46pm On Sep 21, 2018
Playing monkey post football is huge part of my childhood memories I'll never forget easily. Kudos to Betway for bringing back the memories.
Cc Lalasticlala
Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by Corroro: 2:48pm On Sep 21, 2018
My love for 5-aside football knows no bounds, full field soccer has never really been my thing. Nice one from betway, if to say I dey lagos I must partake. cool

1 Like

Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by thatkindthing: 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2018
Very good idea I must say, but I wonder why it's mostly in Lagos things like this happen, 5-aside soccer is played every where in this country and many talents involved.
Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by shiftback: 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2018
A Nationwide 5 aside league won’t be a bad idea. If they can sponsor WestHam and AS Roma den they can do it grin
Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by Freelancerx: 9:24pm On Sep 21, 2018
Interesting to see companies like betway take interest in street football. A lot of young people partake in these games
Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by tafat: 1:35pm On Sep 24, 2018
I really love this idea from betway, good from them. this will help a lot in improving soccer as a whole in Nigeria.
Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by tafat: 1:37pm On Sep 24, 2018
Corroro:
My love for 5-aside football knows no bounds, full field soccer has never really been my thing. Nice one from betway, if to say I dey lagos I must partake. cool
yeah me too, I prefer 5-aside football to full field, it's just that full field is where the real money is grin
Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by saxby(f): 2:08pm On Sep 24, 2018
tafat:
I really love this idea from betway, good from them. this will help a lot in improving soccer as a whole in Nigeria.
this will really help football in Nigeria, this is good. And I hear the price money is 1 million naira, hmm. Interesting. grin cheesy
Re: 7 Communities Promoting Five Aside Football(monkey Post) In Lagos by saxby(f): 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2018
tafat:
yeah me too, I prefer 5-aside football to full field, it's just that full field is where the real money is grin
yeah money might be in full field soccer but people also bet on 5-aside soccer too, I just hope betway has odds on this 5-aside league.

(1) (Reply)

Today 13 Odds Sure Bet9ja Booking Code | Tues December 11th 2018 / Arsenal Unveil New Signing Denis Suarez From Barcelona (Photos & Video) / Ighalo Reason For Snubbing Barca Poses Potential Problem For Man Utd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.