Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,035 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? (11883 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by kellysopy(m): 2:10pm On Jul 07, 2010
I got married 2 years ago and my son is almost one. Recently, it stroke my mind that I should make my son next of kin, which used to be my wife. I must state that we are perfectly compatible and have a happy home. I do not intend to discuss this with her.

Do you think this would be a good decision?
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by kanayo74(m): 2:31pm On Jul 07, 2010
there is nothing wrong in your wife being your next of kin.

Since you now have a son, I think your next of kin should be your son.

naturally your next of kin should be someone that is close to you who will

be of a great disadvantage by "your demise" or someone that can be in your stead.

No matter how cordial or good your relationship with your wife is, your baby should be the

proper next of kin.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Iceugwa(m): 2:55pm On Jul 07, 2010
it is very proper. who else will you use. may be ur son. but ur wife is the proper choice never you use ur brother oh
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by cantell(m): 2:55pm On Jul 07, 2010
Kanayo,
Igbo man sense too plenty for ya body.
Next of kin should be the wife, not the son.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Remii(m): 3:02pm On Jul 07, 2010
Wife, of course, unless you have cogent reason against her, at least she should be able to take care of her own children, that way their life standard continuity may be guaranteed if you leave unexpectedly.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by segzicres(m): 3:21pm On Jul 07, 2010
don't even allow the thought to simmer!!!!
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by symbian03(m): 3:37pm On Jul 07, 2010
I'm sorry to say this, use your parents if you don't trust your wife to that extent. Sometimes, 9ja babes could be very dangerous especially if she ever gets to know she's your next of kin. She might even be in love with other dude who would destroy you to be in charge.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by kellysopy(m): 3:52pm On Jul 07, 2010
The reason I am beginning to have a second thought is that I have come to realise that the African culture does not favour women after the demise of a man, in most cases, they are seen as strangers and not part of the family hence, the torture and deprivation they are made to face. They assume she would spend the wealth their son has built over the years on another man.

on the other hand, if it is a son is seen as part of the family, he would enjoy the support of the family in the demise of the father. To crown it all, my wife is from the west while am from south-south.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by kanayo74(m): 4:03pm On Jul 07, 2010
centell
nothing like igbo man sense ooh.

experience has thought me that the best person to use is your child.

A wife is not supposed to benefit from he husbands demise if u will ask me.

the best next of kin to use is your child, no matter how young or old S/he may be.

the fear of women is the beginning of wisdom.

Remii

Remii:

Wife, of course, unless you have cogent reason against her, at least she should be able to take care of her own children, that way their life standard continuity may be guaranteed if you leave unexpectedly.

your arguement is not correct, your child should be your next of kkin no matter what.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by amyliajane(f): 5:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
@ topoic,
and what if he doesnt have a child yet, who becomes the next of kin, isn't it the wife. But since he has a child, there are some things he should put the child's name while some the wife's name. My take
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by chiozor: 5:22pm On Jul 07, 2010
may sound odd, but women are extremely dangerous! if you have a child, use him as Next of Kin. if you don't leave it to your aged parents.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jul 07, 2010
IMHO
your wife should be your next of kin(and vice versa) and if you dont trust her with your wealth then you probably shouldnt have married her at the first place.

your CHILDREN (not only son) should be the next of kin in the event that both parent died and they are of age (21 or older for me)

what husband in his right mind would make a 2yr old child a next of kin over his adult wife?! isnt the wife the legal guardian of that child therefore legally in control of that wealth ANYWAY?! duh!
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by bigfather(m): 10:15pm On Jul 07, 2010
For now you can make your wife your next of kin until your son comes of age !
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by MrsSiena1(f): 10:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
Yes it is proper to make your wife next of kin. Your wife came first before your son and besides if you didn't trust her enough you wouldn't have married to her in the first place. Make your wife next of kin and then your wife makes your son next of kin that way everybody is next of kin to each other.

That way the next of kin doesnt leave the family its all there. wink
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Remii(m): 11:07pm On Jul 07, 2010
kanayo74:

Remii
your arguement is not correct, your child should be your next of kkin no matter what.

if your child is a minor, whatever you write he would just be conduit for those who would use the wealth anyway, however if you put your wife in charge at least she would take care of her own children. On cogent reasons not to put her, if she is the type that would buy gold instead of paying school fees or unfaithful one that your are just keeping because of children or family ties or one that has very weak decision strength or any other reasons you consider congent.

Some companies allow you to apportion percentages to your prospective heirs, if you have that option you could give each member in percentages you want, so not only one next of kin.  You could leave a note that some portion be kept in annuity until your children are up to certain age or education level.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 08, 2010
kellysopy:

The reason I am beginning to have a second thought is that I have come to realise that the African culture does not favour women after the demise of a man, in most cases, they are seen as strangers and not part of the family hence, the torture and deprivation they are made to face. They assume she would spend the wealth their son has built over the years on another man.

on the other hand, if it is a son is seen as part of the family, he would enjoy the support of the family in the demise of the father. To crown it all, my wife is from the west while am from south-south.
You knew your wife was from the west when you married her so that is a non-issue.
If you love and trust her like you said, i see no reason why you shouldn't make her your next of kin.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 08, 2010
It's proper to make your wife next of kin, yes.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Outstrip(f): 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2010
Your wife should be your beneficiary but everyone in addition should have a will. If anything were to happen to you and she remarries then the money can go into a trust for your son.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 09, 2010
Outstrip:

Your wife should be your beneficiary but everyone in addition should have a will. If anything were to happen to you and she remarries then the money can go into a trust for your son.
or daughter
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Outstrip(f): 9:08pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

or daughter

He has a son not a daughter
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Mimicole(f): 12:21am On Jul 10, 2010
kanayo74:

centell
nothing like igbo man sense ooh.

experience has thought me that the best person to use is your child.

A wife is not supposed to benefit from he husbands demise if u will ask me.

the best next of kin to use is your child, no matter how young or old S/he may be.

the fear of women is the beginning of wisdom.

Remii

symbian03 link=topic=475040.msg6345016#msg6345016 date=1278513478:

I'm sorry to say this, use your parents if you don't trust your wife to that extent. Sometimes, 9ja babes could be very dangerous especially if she ever gets to know she's your next of kin. She might even be in love with other dude who would destroy you to be in charge.
chiozor:

may sound odd, but women are extremely dangerous! if you have a child, use him as Next of Kin. if you don't leave it to your aged parents.
it's a shame to know that we still have men who just marry to reproduce and not because they understand or value the institution called marriage.It seems to have escaped your notice but the poster and his wife have a happy home and he loves her. @post there's absolutely nothing wrong with your wife being ur next of kin, cos apart from u, she's the only legal guardian your children have,and stands a better chance to cater for them in your absence.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by tunnytox(m): 1:14am On Jul 10, 2010
No other person can be my next of kin other than my wife. She is the love of my life.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by IbrahimB: 9:30am On Jul 10, 2010
tunnytox:

She is the love of my life.

Okay.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Theblessed(f): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2010
By law, husbands and wives are first of all, each others next of kin and rightly so. Others are secondary.  However, depending on your relationship with all including your wife, you can choose who should get that honour but, the rightful person is your wife then, any of your children and not necessarily the first son/daughter.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Pennywise(m): 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2010
Of course your wife should be your next of kin. If anything happens to you she will know how to take care of her own.

The issue of family interlopers comes in when you were not properly married. In any case today's Nigerian woman is ready to take full advantage even if the marriage was contracted in half.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by chiozor: 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2010
@poster
can you read meaning into the response from the females folk sweet voices, evil mind undecided be wise
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by reindeer: 12:24pm On Jul 10, 2010
NO!
Make me your next of kin, if you are rich that is grin
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by kpofkpof: 12:35pm On Jul 10, 2010
The mistake we make at times is that we do not know the difference between Next of kin and Beneficiary of funds. I work in a bank and i have seen a whole lot of people coming to claim their spouses account balance just because they were next of kin.

Next of kin simply is the person the organisation needs to contact immediately should the need arise.

Beneficiary of funds is the person you have categorically stated that in your demise(esp without a will) that person should have full title of your funds or whatever you have entitiled him with

For instance, my next of kin is my husband, but beneficaiary of funds is our son.

So next time when you are filling a form especially when it has to do with a bank, look carefully, there is always a column for next of kin and beneficiary of funds
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by zinaLPF: 1:03pm On Jul 10, 2010
kellysopy:

I got married 2 years ago and my son is almost one. Recently, it stroke my mind that I should make my son next of kin, which used to be my wife. I must state that we are perfectly compatible and have a happy home. I do not intend to discuss this with her.

Do you think this would be a good decision?

Assume that there is an earthquake and your employer for some reason needs to get in contact with your family. Who would you want contacted in case of an emergency? Your 2 year old son or your wife? That person should be your next of kin.

The role of a "Next of kin" is not legally the same as "Beneficiary" for estate planning purposes.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by Asimmy(f): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2010
Your next of Kin should be your wife. She is to be contacted in the case of any emergency, that your 2year old son cannot stand in for. Your beneficiary of fund can also be your wife because she is to take care of you or son when the situation arise (ill health or death), your 2 year old son cannot also do that. Where you make your son the beneficiary of fund, your wife will still be the one to act as his trustee till he is of age and whereby, she is not allowed to do so what happens to your son's upbringing before he comes of age to lay claims? Be wise bro, your wife is the best of the options.
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by kabukabu(m): 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2010
Why the hell is this news?? Of course your wife IS your next of kin,if you don't trust your wife,have you ever heard of the word"Divorce"Cmon be a damn man and stop waffling, probably have been watching too many nollywood dramas.SMh
Re: Is It Proper To Make My Wife Next Of Kin? by TheBuilder: 1:56pm On Jul 10, 2010
Great jist.
But be financially empowered.
Join manaconnect.
www.manaconnect.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Perfection - The Wonderful Life of A Good (naija) Wife / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? / They Need An Urhobo Name - Female (without The Usual Oghene)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.