Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Can My Siena Be Salvaged? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can My Siena Be Salvaged? (5106 Views)

How Do I Import Salvaged Cars, Fix Them And Sell / Siena's ex Wife Speaks / These Amazing Art Pieces Were Created From Salvaged Vintage Car Parts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 10:14am On Sep 24, 2018
Gazzuz, oluwaseunla, radautoworks, AutoElectNG, Autologic, obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, dancock, nurey, captainking... Please come to my rescue. I feel like i've ruined my siena. This vehicle has always been too low to the ground dat my bumper is in a sorry state. On friday i felt i've had enough of it. Took vehicle to my kazeem who advised me to change to bigger tyres or raise the vehicle spring. I opted for the latter. The front spring was raised one inch while d rear was one and half inch. My siena looks horrible now, not only dat, the drive terrain is no longer smooth. The steering appears so loose, always moving vehicle to d left. The steering vibrates non stop while i'm driving. I took d vehicle for wheel alignment and they told me my wheels r ok. I also percieve some burnt smell whenever i'm driving. I'm in tears at d moment. This vehicle was bought american used barely a year ago. Please how do i return vehicle to factory spec? cry
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AutoElectNG: 10:38am On Sep 24, 2018
Suspension Geometry altered.

Reverse all the alterations and you should be good

6 Likes

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by nurey(m): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:
Please come to my rescue. I feel like i've ruined my siena. This vehicle has always been too low to the ground dat my bumper is in a sorry state. On friday i felt i've had enough of it. Took vehicle to my kazeem who advised me to change to bigger tyres or raise the vehicle spring. I opted for the latter. The front spring was raised one inch while d rear was one and half inch. My siena looks horrible now, not only dat, the drive terrain is no longer smooth. The steering appears so loose, always moving vehicle to d left. The steering vibrates non stop while i'm driving. I took d vehicle for wheel alignment and they told me my wheels r ok. I also percieve some burnt smell whenever i'm driving. I'm in tears at d moment. This vehicle was bought american used barely a year ago. Please how do i return vehicle to factory spec? cry

They didn't raise any spring ooo, where kazeem wan get machine to do that. Its either they swapped the springs to a bigger cars own probably one from a 4runner or they padded the spring (I doubt if it can be done for the sienna due to suspension type).

The issue of bumper scrapping ground is due to tyre type or shock absorbers worn out.

As for your predicament let the mechanic reverse engineer what he did.

4 Likes

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by Inception(m): 10:59am On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:
Gazzuz, oluwaseunla, radautoworks, AutoElectNG, Autologic, obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, dancock, nurey, captainking... Please come to my rescue. I feel like i've ruined my siena. This vehicle has always been too low to the ground dat my bumper is in a sorry state. On friday i felt i've had enough of it. Took vehicle to my kazeem who advised me to change to bigger tyres or raise the vehicle spring. I opted for the latter. The front spring was raised one inch while d rear was one and half inch. My siena looks horrible now, not only dat, the drive terrain is no longer smooth. The steering appears so loose, always moving vehicle to d left. The steering vibrates non stop while i'm driving. I took d vehicle for wheel alignment and they told me my wheels r ok. I also percieve some burnt smell whenever i'm driving. I'm in tears at d moment. This vehicle was bought american used barely a year ago. Please how do i return vehicle to factory spec? cry

You need to reverse the work done on that car back to factory spec.Then you would be fine.

BTW, i really admire your interest and the way you look after your vehicle. Only if my girl had half the interest as you.

6 Likes

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by Readonee35L(m): 11:17am On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:
Take a pictire of your car and post it

1 Like

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 11:33am On Sep 24, 2018
nurey:

They didn't raise any spring ooo, where kazeem wan get machine to do that. Its either they swapped the springs to a bigger cars own probably one from a 4runner or they padded the spring (I doubt if it can be done for the sienna due to suspension type).

The issue of bumper scrapping ground is due to tyre type or shock absorbers worn out.

As for your predicament let the mechanic reverse engineer what he did.
I saw the shock absorber. I think what they did was they cut off d spring where it originally was to d shock and raised it up an inch and welded the spring back to the shock.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 11:38am On Sep 24, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Suspension Geometry altered.

Reverse all the alterations and you should be good
U've always bn of help when in need. Plz does it mean i should buy new shock? The old one has been distorted by cutting off and welding.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 11:43am On Sep 24, 2018
Inception:

You need to reverse the work done on that car back to factory spec.Then you would be fine.

BTW, i really admire your interest and the way you look after your vehicle. Only if my girl had half the interest as you.
Thenk you.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by nurey(m): 12:15pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:
I saw the shock absorber. I think what they did was they cut off d spring where it originally was to d shock and raised it up an inch and welded the spring back to the shock.

The spring and shock of the sienna is an entire entity individually. The spring can be separated from the shock and they are both bound together by a bolt. You actually have to apply pressure on the spring for it to shrink enough to bolt it on the absorber for the front. The rear would be easier since both are separated entirely side by side.

The rear springs looks a bit smaller compared to the front springs. This one that you said welding is involved I think if the springs had been cut it has already been compromised and useless to revert it back to stock (don't let them weld the cut away part the welding will never stand the force and pressure it was originally assigned to).

your solution is to buy new stock springs and fit then upgrade your tyre or rim which ever works best for you
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AutoElectNG: 12:18pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:
U've always bn of help when in need. Plz does it mean i should buy new shock? The old one has been distorted by cutting off and welding.

Yes please....the current ones are death traps
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:29pm On Sep 24, 2018
first of all, u will need to reverse everything........ from where u drove out of the shop to where u called the mechanic...

unfortunately u cannot reverse the payment

so sorry, I prefer bigger wheels when I want higher ground clearance.

although this is not really advisable, it might be practical... some of these Lagos roads ain't got chill. plus in traffic u will need to go from extra crisp roads to gulleys and traps to get to ur destination in estimated time.

all will be well

2 Likes

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 12:46pm On Sep 24, 2018
nurey:

The spring and shock of the sienna is an entire entity individually. The spring can be separated from the shock and they are both bound together by a bolt. You actually have to apply pressure on the spring for it to shrink enough to bolt it on the absorber for the front. The rear would be easier since both are separated entirely side by side.

The rear springs looks a bit smaller compared to the front springs. This one that you said welding is involved I think if the springs had been cut it has already been compromised and useless to revert it back to stock (don't let them weld the cut away part the welding will never stand the force and pressure it was originally assigned to).

your solution is to buy new stock springs and fit then upgrade your tyre or rim which ever works best for you
you are right sir. I dnt knw hw to describe it but when u look into my shock frm d tyre u'll c d welded part above where it originally was. And plz sir do u hav an idea of price of siena shock front and rear? Between belgium shock and new one(china) which is advisable?
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by nurey(m): 12:57pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:
you are right sir. I dnt knw hw to describe it but when u look into my shock frm d tyre u'll c d welded part above where it originally was. And plz sir do u hav an idea of price of siena shock front and rear? Between belgium shock and new one(china) which is advisable?

In November last year my mechanic bought for front both sides at 20k brandnew Chinese knockoff and I am still using till date the rear he says was 15k for brandnew but haven't changed it yet.

He gave me tokunbo for both front at 30k or so and I rejected it outright. I have been using the new one and so far no wahala.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by wane01(m): 1:24pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:

shocked
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 2:48pm On Sep 24, 2018
nurey:

In November last year my mechanic bought for front both sides at 20k brandnew Chinese knockoff and I am still using till date the rear he says was 15k for brandnew but haven't changed it yet.

He gave me tokunbo for both front at 30k or so and I rejected it outright. I have been using the new one and so far no wahala.
Thenk u somuch. I have to settle for new one. Plz one more thing. Can d adjustment made on d shock in any way distort d spring? I intend to just get d shock alone.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by nurey(m): 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:
Thenk u somuch. I have to settle for new one. Plz one more thing. Can d adjustment made on d shock in any way distort d spring? I intend to just get d shock alone.

As long as the spring was cut, welded or changed to that of another vehicle then you should be fine. But only a physical inspection can tell the true state. if you can snap a clear view of the car and the front setup and rear setup we can pinpoint what the mechanic actually did
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by nurey(m): 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:

As long as the spring wasn't cut, welded or changed to that of another vehicle then you should be fine. But only a physical inspection can tell the true state. if you can snap a clear view of the car and the front setup and rear setup we can pinpoint what the mechanic actually did

1 Like

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by oweniwe(m): 4:46pm On Sep 24, 2018
nurey:

AmandaLuv
As long as the spring was cut, welded or changed to that of another vehicle then you should be fine. But only a physical inspection can tell the true state. if you can snap a clear view of the car and the front setup and rear setup we can pinpoint what the mechanic actually did

Agreed with nurey.

Your phone has camera nah. Just take a few snaps and upload.

Shouldn't take you more than few minutes.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by TRYGO(m): 9:29pm On Sep 24, 2018
...and a + to the comments here.

One thing more for unsuspecting car owners.

1. If you want more ground clearance, you either upgrade your tyre size, or rim.

2. A higher spring could be fitted, if you intend maintaining your existing tyre and rim sizes.

But remember, fuel economy, and driveability might be affected.

Cutting, and welding of shocks, and/or springs (coils), is bad practice.

Doing that, you have already succeeded in shortening the lifespans of the shocks(that would cause you what you are currently facing now: buying a new one.

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos
www.dxta.net.ng

1 Like

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by Lexusgs430: 10:36pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:

Calling all Demeanours, we have a damsel in distress ......
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by radautoworks: 11:15pm On Sep 24, 2018
AmandaLuv:

Please take to shop to diagnose for recommendation.

Kewtt, I think it was you I was having a discussion where I recommended against raising cars? This is why.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by Kewtt: 10:27pm On Oct 05, 2018
my car is perfectly RAISED KAKARAKA

radautoworks:

Please take to shop to diagnose for recommendation.

Kewtt, I think it was you I was having a discussion where I recommended against raising cars? This is why.

1 Like

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by radautoworks: 10:43pm On Oct 05, 2018
Kewtt:
my car is perfectly RAISED KAKARAKA

What type though and by how much?
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 5:26pm On Oct 06, 2018
I wish to thank everyone for ur assistance so far. AutoElectNg, nurey and all. My vehicle is back to normal, noiseless engine/movement grin
I had to remove all four shocks that was raised, bought a new replacement, changed the camber, installed new brake pad and viola, problem went away.
Now i know that all the while i've been hating on my vehicle for being too low to the ground and damaging my bumper was a shock problem.
I've never enjoyed this ride before like now, tires r solid to d ground i hardly feel potholes anymore.
Tnx alot esp to nurey, u r the best.
@nurey, i got the shocks at 16k for the two front(belgium) and 15k for the rear(new ones/china)

2 Likes

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AutoElectNG: 5:46pm On Oct 06, 2018
AmandaLuv:
I wish to thank everyone for ur assistance so far. AutoElectNg, nurey and all. My vehicle is back to normal, noiseless engine/movement grin
I had to remove all four shocks that was raised, bought a new replacement, changed the camber, installed new brake pad and viola, problem went away.
Now i know that all the while i've been hating on my vehicle for being too low to the ground and damaging my bumper was a shock problem.
I've never enjoyed this ride before like now, tires r solid to d ground i hardly feel potholes anymore.
@nurey, i got the shocks at 16k for the two front(belgium) and 15k for the rear(new ones/china)

Glad you are sorted
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by nurey(m): 7:59pm On Oct 06, 2018
AmandaLuv:

you are welcome. congratulations. Though you would have been safer with brandnew shocks even if it would last a year, two or even more. Those so called belgium can fail in a month but you tried. Easy easy on potholes.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2018
nurey:

you are welcome. congratulations. Though you would have been safer with brandnew shocks even if it would last a year, two or even more. Those so called belgium can fail in a month but you tried. Easy easy on potholes.
Yes u r right. I actually paid for new ones for front and rear but my mech advised against installing new ones in front, dat belgium is best. I had to heed to his counsel.
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by nurey(m): 9:50pm On Oct 06, 2018
AmandaLuv:
Yes u r right. I actually paid for new ones for front and rear but my mech advised against installing new ones in front, dat belgium is best. I had to heed to his counsel.

my new ones will be a year this November and they are still serving me.

1 Like

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by radautoworks: 8:27pm On Oct 08, 2018
So happy to see a woman proactive about Auto Care

1 Like

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 6:52pm On Oct 10, 2018
radautoworks:
So happy to see a woman proactive about Auto Care
Tnx dear, please my siena was scanned today and i got
P0420: catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)

Plz wat does this mean?

Anyone to help me with a picture?
Cc: Gazzuz, AutoElectNg, mayor2013
Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by mayor2013: 7:17pm On Oct 10, 2018
AmandaLuv:
Tnx dear, please my siena was scanned today and i got p0420 catalytic bank 1? Plz wat does this mean?
Anyone to help me with a picture?
Cc: Gazzuz, AutoElectNg, mayor2013

Catalytic converter is missing or has been yanked off. Have it replaced. Found along exhaust behind fire wall. What you have inside the first pix looks like this in the second picture

Re: Can My Siena Be Salvaged? by AmandaLuv(f): 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2018
mayor2013:

Catalytic converter is missing or has been yanked off. Have it replaced. Found along exhaust behind fire wall
i have replaced this b4. B4 i did d first replacement it was discovered dat d catalyst melted inside. That net-like stuff. It wasnt yanked off. So i really do not know d condition of d one i replaced sometime ago.
Plz i googled and found p0420 was referring me to 02 sensor dat stays close to d manifold. I rlly dnt knw.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On / How Reliable Is Audi A4 in Nigeria? / 10 Cheapest Private Jets You Can Buy With Your School Fees!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.