Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience (2489 Views)

How To Start Pig Farming In Nigeria And Grow To Giant Piggery / Piggery Business Plan / Pig Farmers Demand For Piggery Colonies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 10:48am On Sep 27, 2018
Following over eight months online extensive research on animal husbandry; with a special bias for pigs, I have taken the utmost decision to go into piggery, with every available logistics.
Do find below, pics of my makeshift pig house as well as my first investment on piggery

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 11:06am On Sep 27, 2018
In choosing breed for starting, the Combourough specie was sourced.

In order to ensure a considerable amount of feed is ready before the arrival of the first pig(Alpha1), I had gone round cassava farm owners here(2 weeks before), to gather cassava peelings for baggings and to serve as additional meal/feedstock.

1 Share

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 11:16am On Sep 27, 2018
My initial projection was to go into this project with two(2) sows and a boar. But I had a change of mind considering my relative limited experience of pig farming.
So I settled for a sow that has already shown signs of pregnancy, with fourteen (14) teats so that a large litter can be easily nursed

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 11:42am On Sep 27, 2018
To make up for my limited onground knowledge on piggery, I'm partnering with a lady (Ma Hannah Ejoke), who has got a comparatively better know-how; though from the traditional/subsistence angle. With an agreed benefit of 5% of profit-per-unit gain from every sales made on resulting products

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by marshalldgreat(m): 11:50am On Sep 27, 2018
Okay following
Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 12:25pm On Sep 27, 2018
After purchasing the pregnant sow at #48,000,it became necessary to begin proper planning and construction in anticipation of the oncoming piglets. Thankfully, residue cash from my initial plan of purchasing more than one sow, is still intact.
Maybe I should get a land around this environ for needed expansion.

I'm currently using maize byproducts from pap (akamu) producers, cassava kanda (left over after washing Akpu), cassava peelings (bagged after 10 days), ripe pawpaw, grinded head of bonga fish/cray fish meal,water leaves and two other leaves(maybe I will get the botanical names/common names as we progresses) as current feeding routine

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by Thegreatman(m): 1:56pm On Sep 27, 2018
What does it take to start up a pig farm?

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by selfwife(f): 2:46pm On Sep 27, 2018
I no know say sow cost like that oo.I con dey complain for goat of 6k.please I am following. I will purchase my first goat before Saturday and show you too

3 Likes

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by pdf90(m): 5:47pm On Sep 27, 2018
I dont think buying a pregnant sow @ 48k is a wise move . Its like buying non tested electronics from ladipo ...

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 7:32pm On Sep 27, 2018
pdf90:
I dont think buying a pregnant sow @ 48k is a wise move . Its like buying non tested electronics from ladipo ...

I did consider your point above before opting for the purchase.
Here are my reasons for taking this route:
1) it will cost me more to purchase additional boar for mating sake.
2) additional feeding cost will be incured from point of purchase to whenever a successful crossing is done.
3) I also considered the option of leasing/renting a boar to facilitate impregnation. But na this one kon get as e be self. Where I want for see extra cash for continuous servicing and other sundry cost

No vex bros, I had to just start this time. I don too postpone this project. If I keep the money, na flexing go still rush am

2 Likes

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 7:37pm On Sep 27, 2018
selfwife:
I no know say sow cost like that oo.I con dey complain for goat of 6k.please I am following. I will purchase my first goat before Saturday and show you too

mr(s),just make up your mind run am as e dey hot oo. Last last self, if you calculate subscriptions when you Don do this year, you no see say na full goat farm you don use

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 7:39pm On Sep 27, 2018
Thegreatman:
What does it take to start up a pig farm?

Baba,no body sabi pass. Na determination and grace ooo. Above all, pray for Grace my gee

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by pdf90(m): 10:35pm On Sep 27, 2018
I dey feel you .. No time ..
EhiGid:

I did consider your point above before opting for the purchase.
Here are my reasons for taking this route:
1) it will cost me more to purchase additional boar for mating sake.
2) additional feeding cost will be incured from point of purchase to whenever a successful crossing is done.
3) I also considered the option of leasing/renting a boar to facilitate impregnation. But na this one kon get as e be self. Where I want for see extra cash for continuous servicing and other sundry cost

No vex bros, I had to just start this time. I don too postpone this project. If I keep the money, na flexing go still rush am

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 8:24am On Sep 28, 2018
Checking out the free space close to our current location.
Hopefully, we could make a good bargain.
Even got it from olofofo people around here, that the owner is in dare need of some cash. Is God saying something �

Make I quick arrange my squad go visit am

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 8:28am On Sep 28, 2018
Dynamix101
Jessam
Maxipharo
Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 11:17am On Sep 28, 2018
Just finished from the meeting with the landowner. The price tag is #150,000 for a 50x50 land space.
Got a week to raise the cash.
Oluwa, your grace still sure

2 Likes

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by benzion72(m): 5:32pm On Sep 28, 2018
Which of Nigeria are you

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 6:35am On Sep 29, 2018
benzion72:
Which of Nigeria are you

i am in Edo state
Esan Central to be precise

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by Ayoolu(m): 8:02pm On Sep 29, 2018
Bros, sorry to disappoint you. This is not Camborough. At best, it is a poor large white. Camborough is almost hairless

2 Likes

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by Waffarianman(m): 9:33am On Sep 30, 2018
EhiGid:
Just finished from the meeting with the landowner. The price tag is #150,000 for a 50x50 land space.
Got a week to raise the cash.
Oluwa, your grace still sure

Bro ur body dey hot oo. Lol

Carri go no shakin Oghene God gat ur back

2 Likes

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by Waffarianman(m): 9:39am On Sep 30, 2018
We need more update about your piggery farm, Following you bumper to bumper. More pics to garnish it up will be better too

Me. Have cassava, plantain and palm tree farm too but need to add Animals husbandry to finish

2 Likes

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2018
Ayoolu:
Bros, sorry to disappoint you. This is not Camborough. At best, it is a poor large white. Camborough is almost hairless

Okay,maybe you are right. Me self no first sabi the nature of their skin.
Following distinctive features, as posted on consulted materials and trainings, I had opted for the camborough as a choice variety to start with. However if your point is true, then the owner of the farm I bought from just lost a sincere and modest customer.

But is using LARGE WHITE a step in the right direction?

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2018
I spent much of the weekend visiting other homestead around here, to source young and experienced hands on building pigpen.
A master design to accommodate Nineteen(19) pigs per time is proposed for the 50x50 landspace.
Works are still ongoing and ALPHA is doing wonderfully well

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by anienge001: 2:29am On Oct 02, 2018
EhiGid:
After purchasing the pregnant sow at #48,000,it became necessary to begin proper planning and construction in anticipation of the oncoming piglets. Thankfully, residue cash from my initial plan of purchasing more than one sow, is still intact.
Maybe I should get a land around this environ for needed expansion.

I'm currently using maize byproducts from pap (akamu) producers, cassava kanda (left over after washing Akpu), cassava peelings (bagged after 10 days), ripe pawpaw, grinded head of bonga fish/cray fish meal,water leaves and two other leaves(maybe I will get the botanical names/common names as we progresses) as current feeding routine

It maybe due to transportation stress or new environment, this pig doesn't look healthy enough. If is is pregnant, the piglets won't command any price when born.

The feed items you mentioned can be used as supplements, but not as your main meal. Get growers usually feed to pullets, get wheat offal. Mix in the ratio of 1:2 and soak for about 20mins before feeding to this pig. Or at least get PKC and substitute for the grower. In that case, soak the PKC for about 30mins before mixing with equal amount of wheat offal. Be sure there is always enough clean water for it to drink and bask in.

You can source for costus spp (some call it bush cane), and feed it in the day, few days in a week. Compare result after 2-4 weeks. The feed regime you are using is for local breed which are on free range. Their productivity is lowest. If you need great healthy litter, abandon such regime ASAP.

It maybe a bit expensive, but you will be happy you did.
#my2cents

3 Likes

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 11:28pm On Oct 03, 2018
anienge001:

It maybe due to transportation stress or new environment, this pig doesn't look healthy enough. If is is pregnant, the piglets won't command any price when born.

The feed items you mentioned can be used as supplements, but not as your main meal. Get growers usually feed to pullets, get wheat offal. Mix in the ratio of 1:2 and soak for about 20mins before feeding to this pig. Or at least get PKC and substitute for the grower. In that case, soak the PKC for about 30mins before mixing with equal amount of wheat offal. Be sure there is always enough clean water for it to drink and bask in.

You can source for costus spp (some call it bush cane), and feed it in the day, few days in a week. Compare result after 2-4 weeks. The feed regime you are using is for local breed which are on free range. Their productivity is lowest. If you need great healthy litter, abandon such regime ASAP.

It maybe a bit expensive, but you will be happy you did.
#my2cents

Thanks for this contribution.
I will run with this ASAP.
I'm grateful
Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by anienge001: 6:07am On Oct 04, 2018
EhiGid:

Thanks for this contribution.
I will run with this ASAP.
I'm grateful

All the best! !

Pig rearing can be very lucrative when properly managed. It needs minimal supervision, highly prolific and very minimal mortality. If you can source for steady market, then stay focus and the money will start flowing.

1 Like

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 12:55am On Oct 13, 2018
This pig rearing MATA no be moimoi oo.
I no even know where to start update una self
Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by anienge001: 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2018
EhiGid:
This pig rearing MATA no be moimoi oo.
I no even know where to start update una self

Just tell us something.

Did you try the PKC or grower feed? How about the pen, started it
Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by EhiGid(m): 11:54am On Nov 06, 2018
Events after unforseen events lured me away from updating you,i hope subsequent discuss can make up for the happenings whilest I was away.

Firstly, I made an attempt at investing in an idea I came across here on nairaland (Transberg.com); a transportation/logistic company that promised prompt returns on investment (ROI) of 8.3% monthly. I did an initial invest of #0.2million. The plan was to initiated a frontier for meaningful, guaranteed upkeep for my farm for the next 24 months. I have gotten ROI crediting on my account for only two months(out of supposed 8months).
All attempts at reaching out to the guy that referred the idea as well as customer care representatives, have proven ineffective. I am not discouraged. My hope no fit die!

Remember the additional plot that we purchased earlier to expand our pen? Yeah! Oluwa don answer e pikin prayer✌ We made a deposit of #100,000 na to balance #50,000 last last! ☺

On the feeding ration, we are on our way to achieving idea diet for the hugs. For four days,we have started incorporating PKC into feeding regime. We can still do better
Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by hothead(m): 4:12pm On Dec 15, 2018
Pig Farm For Sale
A farmer wants to relocate and dispose of his pig Farm. Infrastructure is very good and there’s Water Facility on ground as well
With Feeds supply for another two months in storage ,45 mins drive from Lagos
* Current selling price for each pig is N450-550 per kg, Minimum Kg to sell is 60kg
* Land value is now N400k per plot in the area (there is over 24 plots)
* Hogs Nipple drinker installed in every pen for drinking water
* 0.5 acres of Moringa plants also included
* Solid flooring in each of the pen
* Free Maize Peel in the Area for feeding
* 2008 Toyota Tundra Truck
Livestock: 105 pigs
Pen Capacity : 500 pigs
Land Size: 14,400sqm
Location: Owode Egba afterEgba Mowe, Ogun State 45mins drive from Lagos mainland
Document: Survey & receipt
Price : N20 million
Call 0807-040-7340

Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by tonee1: 12:20am On Dec 16, 2018
any updates from your pig farm?
Re: Startup Piggery; The Mustard Experience by Yodexy: 10:27am On May 09, 2019
Any update from your farm?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Catfish Fingerlings Available For Sale / Supply Chin Chin Making Machine With Factory Price / Plantain Peel,tiger Nut Chaff,mixed Guinea Corn,millet And Corn Chaff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.