Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

Citizenship - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Citizenship (2304 Views)

Nigerian Man Used Me For Money And Citizenship / Illegal Immigrants In The US Will Be Entitled Citizenship / Dual Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Citizenship by pslm23(f): 8:39pm On Jul 08, 2010
Hi,
Maybe someone can help me out with the right answer. I recently got my US citizenship and up until then i was excited at the prospect of having dual citizenship. After the ceremony, we were told that we cannot use our former passports to travel anymore and it had to be the US passport because the US does not recognize dual citizenship embarassed.

My question is even though the US doesn't recognize it, does Nigeria recognize dual citizenship? Also, can I use my US passport to leave the US and upon getting to Nigeria, use my Nigerian passport to enter my land of birth? the same applies for when I'm returning to the states?

Thxs to all who respond
Re: Citizenship by fotolord: 8:41pm On Jul 08, 2010
Nigeria support dual citizenship. Congrats
Re: Citizenship by pslm23(f): 8:46pm On Jul 08, 2010
I know, but does it matter that the US does not? Can I use my Nigerian ppt to enter Nigeria so I won't have to worry about Visa and Custom officers that will most like give me a tough time for "abandoning" my motherland?
Re: Citizenship by jonyjay(m): 10:31pm On Jul 08, 2010
@poster US support dual citizenship. once your other country allow you dual citizenship it does not matter to US. but you cannot enter yankee with another passport since you are a US citizen now. you will need to travel to nija with nija passport and enter with your yankee passport.
Re: Citizenship by BOUNTYDOG(m): 10:55pm On Jul 08, 2010
yes you can,as long as u can leave the us with both passports without query as they do not support dual citi
Re: Citizenship by johnkent(m): 6:28am On Jul 09, 2010
pslm23:

Hi,
Maybe someone can help me out with the right answer. I recently got my US citizenship and up until then i was excited at the prospect of having dual citizenship. After the ceremony, we were told that we cannot use our former passports to travel anymore and it had to be the US passport because the US does not recognize dual citizenship embarassed.

My question is even though the US doesn't recognize it, does Nigeria recognize dual citizenship? Also, can I use my US passport to leave the US and upon getting to Nigeria, use my Nigerian passport to enter my land of birth? the same applies for when I'm returning to the states?

Thxs to all who respond

lol. u must have heard them wrong. US does allows dual citizenship. U just have to Use your Nigerian passport to fly into nigeria and when leaving Nigeria, u show your US passport. U should be just fine.
Re: Citizenship by frankkky: 8:16am On Jul 09, 2010
@poster congrats on getting your us passport,congrats!!!!
Re: Citizenship by pslm23(f): 12:42pm On Jul 09, 2010
Thxs guys! So in other words, when I'm leaving the US, I shld use my US passport and when i get to Nigeria, I will present my Nigerian ppt? When I'm leaving Nigeria, I shld use my US ppt and not the Nigerian one?
Re: Citizenship by Fhemmmy: 1:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
If i were you, i would call the Nigerian Immigration and not depend on only information from here.
Could be a big crime caught with 2 passport at same time, if you are not well informed, especially with the post Sept 11 still hot and will always be hot.

Good luck
Re: Citizenship by OmoAlata(f): 3:34pm On Jul 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Could be a big crime caught with 2 passport at same time

It'll only be a crime if you are caught with 2 passports, same nationality, but different details e.g. 2 british passports, both belonging to you, but different details wink
Re: Citizenship by johnkent(m): 4:44pm On Jul 09, 2010
Alot of people have 2 Valid passports from the same country ( I myself do). I travel alot and sometimes it takes months to get a visa from an embassy and if i have to travel to some other country, then i use my other passport.
Just make sure the passport u used in entering a count is the same passport u show to immigrations when you depart.

90% of Nigerian american citizens hold passports from both countries and there isnt anything wrong with it. Nigeria allows dual citizenship and so does the US.

To answer your question again, u do not show ur US passport here in the US because no one cares. U have to show u have a valid visa to Nigeria before you are let on the plane and that would be ur Nigerian passport.
When u're coming back to the states, use ur US passport. no problems at all
Re: Citizenship by switchmax8: 10:51am On Jul 10, 2010
poster,
where did you get the info from that usa had stopped dual citizenship?well,i will get more info from my bros in silver spring,maryland he has been using his dual citizenship for about 7yrs now and he had not said anything to me i will confirm from him today and get back to you.
Re: Citizenship by chelseabmw(m): 1:18am On Jul 12, 2010
Re: Citizenship by pslm23(f): 8:30pm On Jul 26, 2010
@ Switchmax8, on the day I took my oath, the Immigration Officer that officated told us that the US no longer recognizes dual citizenship and we should not attempt to leave the country using any other passport other than the American passport or there will be consequences!
Re: Citizenship by johnkent(m): 9:15pm On Jul 26, 2010
pslm23:

@ Switchmax8, on the day I took my oath, the Immigration Officer that officated told us that the US no longer recognizes dual citizenship and we should not attempt to leave the country using any other passport other than the American passport or there will be consequences!

NOT!!!!!!
wat will be the consequences?? Please!!!
Re: Citizenship by dancewith: 7:11am On Jul 27, 2010
@poster,

You are wrong. US still allows dual nationality. the person that told you otherwise is telling you bulls! The only country that presently does not allow dual nationality is China
Re: Citizenship by pslm23(f): 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2010
Ok guys! thanks to everybody that tried to answer my question. I appreciate it.
I've done a lot of research and you guys are right, that IO sold us a bunch of crap! I guess she used the fear tactics to make us want to throw away our birth countries. I went to the website of the US Department of State and found this information: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Ok, now that's settled, from the responses I received, is this what I'm supposed to do?

1. When travelling to Nigeria, I should use my US ppt to exit.
2. When I get to Nigeria, use my Nigerian ppt to enter.
3. When leaving Nigeria, use my Nigerian ppt to exit
4. When I get back to the US, use my American ppt to enter.

Does this pretty much sum up the answers I got here on how it is done?
Re: Citizenship by dapsycool(m): 2:13pm On Jul 27, 2010
dancewith:

@poster,

You are wrong. US still allows dual nationality. the person that told you otherwise is telling you bulls! The only country that presently does not allow dual nationality is China

You are wrong,
Kenya, Austria and many other countries does not allow dual nationality tongue tongue tongue
Re: Citizenship by tpiah: 8:09pm On Jul 27, 2010
the US does not recognize dual citizenship

must be a new thing.
Re: Citizenship by chika98: 9:13pm On Jul 27, 2010
Present your Nigerian passport when you are in Nigeria and then your US passport when you are about to enter the US.
That is how people have been doing it for a long time

(1) (Reply)

Us Embassy, I'm Gay Grant Me Assylum. / The 10 Smallest Countries In The World / Can I Leave This Country With 2m? If Yes Where Advice I Need To Bash Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.