Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,120 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final (22355 Views)

Poll: Who Will Be Crowned The World Champions For 2010

Netherlands: 37% (34 votes)
Spain: 62% (56 votes)
This poll has ended

Brazil Vs Netherlands 3rd Place Match In Pictures / Brazil Vs Netherlands: World Cup 3rd Place (0 - 3) On 12th July 2014 / Spain Vs Italy - Confederations Cup (7 - 6) On Pens On 27th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by mukina2: 11:33am On Jul 09, 2010
Venue: Soccer City, Johannesburg

Date: Sunday, 11 July 2010

Kick-off: 1930

Coverage: Live on BBC1 and BBC Radio 5 live | Highlights on BBC red button | Full repeat on BBC3 (0020 BST). Plus watch live, listen live, watch in-game highlights (UK only) and follow live text commentary and on this website
TEAM NEWS

Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk is expected to recall Gregory van der Wiel at right back and defensive midfielder Nigel de Jong after both missed the semi-final win over Uruguay through suspension. Demy de Zeeuw did not break his jaw after receiving a kick in the face against Uruguay as was first feared, but his teeth were damaged and it is unclear if he will play any role.

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has to decide whether or not to recall Fernando Torres to the starting line-up, or stick with Barcelona forward Pedro. Cesc Fabregas is thought to have overcome a training-ground injury to his right leg, but played no part in the semi-final win over Germany.
MATCH PREVIEW

The first World Cup in Africa will produce a new winner when the two greatest footballing nations never to have won the game's biggest prize meet at Soccer City on Sunday. Will the Spanish finally find El Dorado, or is the future Oranje?

Spain's previous best finish at the World Cup was fourth place in 1950, but football's great underachievers now have the opportunity to win their second major title in as many years to confirm their status as the greatest current team in international football. Vicente del Bosque's side have won 50 of their last 54 games playing a mesmeric passing game, demoralising and eventually exhausting their opponents with one-touch possession football.

The Netherlands reached the 1974 and 1978 finals playing their own brand of the beautiful game, but while Total Football may have been consigned to history, Bert van Marwijk's class of 2010 have discovered a winning formula just as effective. The Dutch are on a 25-match unbeaten streak and are hoping to emulate the Brazilian side of 1970 as the only team to have a 100% record in both qualifying and the tournament itself.

For Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben, Klass-Jan Huntelaar and Rafael van der Vaart, Sunday's final provides the perfect occasion to remind Spain of their talents. The first three were deemed surplus to requirements at Real Madrid, while the latter's future there is in doubt. In a further subplot, Sneijder will go head-to-head with David Villa for the golden shoe, with both players on five goals.

Spain are at their 13th World Cup, the Netherlands their ninth, but remarkably they have never played each other in a major championship. Their biggest clash was their first when they met in Antwerp for the 1920 Olympic silver medal. On Sunday, for one of football's 'nearly men', the prize will finally be gold.
MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

- Spain and the Netherlands have never met at the World Cup or European Championship before.

- In over 90 years of competition, they have met just nine times: they have won four encounters apiece, and drawn once.

- This will be the first World Cup final that does not involve one of Brazil, Argentina, Italy or (West) Germany.

- Their most recent meeting was a 1-0 friendly win for the Dutch in Rotterdam in 2002.
Netherlands

- The Netherlands are playing in their third World Cup final. They lost the 1974 and 1978 finals, to hosts West Germany and Argentina respectively.

- The Dutch are bidding to become only the second team to qualify for the World Cup with a 100% record and win every match at the tournament itself (matching Brazil in 1970).

- The Netherlands have won six World Cup matches at a single tournament for the first time. This beats their previous best of five in 1974, when they lost in the final.

- Van Marwijk's side are on a 25-match unbeaten streak, a record for the Dutch. Their last defeat was in September 2008 (a 2-1 loss to Australia in Eindhoven).

- They have scored 12 goals in South Africa - only Germany have scored more (13).

- Wesley Sneijder has scored 7 goals in his last 8 internationals. He was credited with Holland's first goal against Brazil, despite Felipe Melo appearing to get the last touch.
Spain

- Spain have lost only two of their last 54 games (to USA and Switzerland). Defeat to the Swiss was a bad omen - no side has ever won the World Cup after losing their opening game.

- Italy (1994), Argentina (1990) and West Germany (1982) all reached the final despite beginning their campaign with a loss. Argentina (1978) were the last team to win the tournament despite losing a game in the group stage.

- This is the fourth time the reigning European champions have reached a World Cup final. The only side to have lifted Fifa's trophy, West Germany, beat the Dutch in the 1974 final.

- The Germans failed to double up against Italy in 1982, while the Azzurri lost to Brazil in 1970 two years after winning Euro '68. France also held both titles concurrently, though they were crowned world champions first (in 1998).

- The Spanish are through to their first ever World Cup final. They did reach the final four in 1950 under a different format, when the remaining teams played out a group stage. The Spanish finished bottom, behind winners Uruguay plus Brazil and Sweden.

- David Villa is one goal away from equalling Raul's record of 44 goals for Spain. He has already equalled the Spanish record for most goals at a single World Cup (five), set by Emilio Butragueno in 1986.

- Spain have completed 3,387 passes at the World Cup, more than any other side. The Netherlands have managed 2,434. Prior to the third-place play-off, Spain had the tournament's top four passers: Xavi (464 completed passes), Busquets (420), Alonso (399) and Pique (378).

Match
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by snowdrops(m): 12:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
potentially cracking final. spain on top of their game are unstoppable.

as per predictions, lets wait for the outcome of the octopus` pick
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by jaybee3(m): 12:17pm On Jul 09, 2010
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by otum4: 12:20pm On Jul 09, 2010
FIFA RANKS TEAMS AT THE 2010 WORLD CUP

5. Argentina

6. Brazil

7. Ghana

8. Paraguay

9. Japan

10. Chile

11. Portugal

12. USA

13. England

14. Mexico

15. Korea Republic

16. Slovakia

17. Cote d’Ivoire

18. Slovenia

19. Switzerland

20. South Africa

21. Australia

22. New Zealand

23. Serbia

24. Denmark

25. Greece

26. Italy

27. Nigeria

28. Algeria

29. France

30. Honduras

31. Cameroon

32. Korea DPR

HOLLAND, GERMANY, SPAIN AND URUGUAY WILL BE ADDED AFTER THE FINALS
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by mykali(m): 12:32pm On Jul 09, 2010
Won't be missing this
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by wizsultan: 12:33pm On Jul 09, 2010
jay bee:

World Cup 2010 - Octopus Paul backs Spain to lift trophy

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09072010/58/world-cup-2010-octopus-paul-backs-spain-lift-trophy.html

snowdrops:

potentially cracking final. spain on top of their game are unstoppable.

as per predictions, lets wait for the outcome of the octopus` pick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya85knuDzp8
above is a video of paul d octopus confirming spain will lift the trophy!!!
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by snowdrops(m): 12:36pm On Jul 09, 2010
Hooray. Spain should start popping the champagnes then.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by olabukola: 12:47pm On Jul 09, 2010
snowdrops:

Hooray. Spain should start popping the champagnes then.
As predicted by paul the octopus. Spain is winning the WC
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by trusted(m): 12:51pm On Jul 09, 2010
Go Spain, Go boys, You can do it. UP Spain!!! Up Barca!!
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Redman44(m): 12:57pm On Jul 09, 2010
This Paul the Octopus sef

I hope this psychic Octopus will fail this time around. I'm still feeling the pain of Germany's defeat. Some Germans gangs have sent death threats to the Octopus sad sad. Jokes apart, I'll be rooting for the Netherlands. I don't want Spain to win for personal reasons. And I'm not happy that an African team did not make the Semi-Finals. Anyway, I'm behind the Orange boys!!!

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by TheBuilder: 1:03pm On Jul 09, 2010
Good gist.
Be financially empowered.
Join manaconnect today.
www.manaconnect.com
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by mystikal(m): 1:06pm On Jul 09, 2010
I'm completely neutral on this one. May the best team win.

On 2nd thought, I might just b supporting the Dutch, Firstly because I want a jubilant van Persie back at Arsenal and maybe, just maybe, Spain losing will show Cesc that even great teams don't win all the time.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by sayso: 1:16pm On Jul 09, 2010
Redman44:

I hope this psychic Octopus will fail this time around. I'm still feeling the pain of Germany's defeat. Some Germans gangs have sent death threats to the Octopus sad sad. Jokes apart, I'll be rooting for the Netherlands. I don't want Spain to win for personal reasons. And I'm not happy that an African team did not make the Semi-Finals. Anyway, I'm behind the Orange boys!!!

you are not alone on this,the Singapore Parrot picked Holland,now the world will know which Psychic knows it all.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2010
The Netherlands will win this one no doubt
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by jamace(m): 1:32pm On Jul 09, 2010
This Octopus sef wetin de worry am? Wetin concern a spineless animal with football?   That was how he weakened my almighty German machine against Spain and Germany lost. If I have my way, this Octopus should  be used for pepper soup immediately angry  grin  grin
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by mojounited(m): 1:44pm On Jul 09, 2010
The Oranje' boys all the way!, the spanish team is full of cry babies (i.e busquets) when the game does not swing their way; always diving and faking injury - trying to get an opponent sent off. If memory serves me right, I think the Dutch team once had the best team not to win a world cup (can't really recall the w/c years though) and if they manage to put this one in the hat, it will enable Welsey Sneijder to pick up the ballon d'or and/or FWFTY award(s).

Go Oranje',
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 09, 2010
Spain all the way. I think the dutch defence can be a bit vulnerable and holland can't win the midfield battle against spain which is where the spaniards are likely to have an upper hand and ultimately beat the dutch.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by wizsultan: 4:26pm On Jul 09, 2010
a team with posession always win,
Spain all d way
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Salzy001: 4:27pm On Jul 09, 2010
Gud team deserve the world cup steady! GO spanish!!!!
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by fredoooooo: 4:41pm On Jul 09, 2010
after spain victory over the germans in the semifinal, a cheff in spain took octopus off his menu untill further notice cheesy cheesy, am sure if spain win this worldcup , he will definately take it off completely grin ;Dlkkk,my money still on spain from the begining ot the tournament , i hope this come through , XAVI+INIESTA = SOCCER
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Zero2(m): 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2010
Can netherland defeat a Barcelona team that has extra real madrid service? if yes, then netherland will win else they will be ripped apart.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by trusted(m): 5:11pm On Jul 09, 2010
Redman44:

www.vibes-extra..com

Which Kind Personal Reason?. You be Anti_Barcelona? or Spain Refuse you Visa?, The better Team Will Win. SPAIN
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Tolulop001(f): 5:13pm On Jul 09, 2010
at least after Sunday all these front page threads on WC will be over grin grin grin
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by dyabman(m): 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2010
Holland not winning the world cup this time around , i'll be god-damned!
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Redman44(m): 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2010
@trusted

I live somewhere better than Spain. I can go to Spain anytime I like but I can never live there. Think before you post on Nairaland. I want the Netherlands to win. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by dyabman(m): 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2010
ok thanks for that
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 09, 2010
Strongman Nigel De Jong will be a handfull for Xavi

Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by mecussey(m): 8:05pm On Jul 09, 2010
Octopus, predicted the Netherlands!
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by dayokanu(m): 8:54pm On Jul 09, 2010
Redman44:

www.vibes-extra..com

The people sending death threats to the octopus are agents of the betting websites, You can imagine how much they would have lost if everyone follows the prediction of the Octopus, They make money from the unpredictability.

If 2million people should follow the Octopus prediction for Sunday and Spain ends up winning, Can you imagine how much the betting sites would lose?

Thats more than enough motive.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by snowdrops(m): 8:56pm On Jul 09, 2010
football is played on the pitch and not in an octopus` aquarium.

11 against 11.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by otokx(m): 9:23pm On Jul 09, 2010
I want the Netherlands to win and my vote went to them but in the end let the better side win.
Re: Spain Vs Netherlands: 1 - 0 @ World Cup 2010 Final by naso2(m): 9:33pm On Jul 09, 2010
It will be unfair for spain to touch that cup before holland.

SPAIN ---- 12 Appearances ----- best outing 4th place (almost 50 years ago)
Netherland -----9 Appearances------ 2nd place finish(twice) and several good outings.

As for this octopus i think it has overstepped its bounds. It predicts only the matches involving germany, I no know wetin concern am for this final. I still support HOLLAND ALL THE WAY.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Yekini Never Neglected His Mother – Lawyer / Osimhen Named In Ligue 1 Team Of The Week / Lothar Matthaus Acquires Accra Lions FC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.