Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? (1672 Views)

This Is The Biggest Cat Fish I've Ever Seen / Snail Farmers Call For Increased Youth Participation / The Biggest Rice Pyramids In Africa, Built With 1M Bags Of Rice (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 11:32am On Sep 30, 2018
In your opinion, what issue is the biggest hindrance to youth participation in agriculture in Nigeria??

1. Access to Land

2. Funding

3. Seeds and Fertilizers

4. Training

5. Security

6. Access to Market

7. Low Irrigation Penetration

8. Lack of Mentors in this business

9. No Proper Re-orientation for Success in Agriculture

1 Share

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Shelumiel: 11:33am On Sep 30, 2018
All of the above
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Angelparadise: 11:59am On Sep 30, 2018
The highest hindrance to youths in agriculture are funding ,government and youth commitments to agriculture as a factor for national development.
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by uboma(m): 1:08pm On Sep 30, 2018
For me, security is my main challenge.
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by benzion72(m): 2:16pm On Sep 30, 2018
Theft
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 30, 2018
benzion72:
Theft
Theft? Surprisingly ahead of security and capital!
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Grupo(m): 6:04pm On Sep 30, 2018
I feel young people want something more glamorous. No one snaps a picture on a farm and uploads on Instagram. But you can snap in an air conditioned office and show your friends that you have "made it".

6 Likes

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by CodeTemplar: 7:08pm On Sep 30, 2018
I think land should be it.
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by aquila3: 8:30pm On Sep 30, 2018
hmmn, this is a very good question, the only issue here is basic knowlegde despite the fact that i participated in the training usually organised by nairalander i stl lost over 150k bt as a result of tenacity and constistency i discovered that with basic knowlegde one can start with as low as 10k i mean in vegetable production either leafy or fruity veggies to start especially during raining season

1 Like

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 11:16pm On Sep 30, 2018
benzion72:
Theft
Did this made or twart the agric journey?
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by abdullkabar(m): 12:18am On Oct 01, 2018
I will say exposure to agriculture as a means to an end
And also the availability of funds
And a probable future in it
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Willie2015: 8:50am On Oct 01, 2018
No guaranteed market price for farm produce and wicked middlemen in the value chain are major problems.

If I have a guaranteed price per kilo for my product even before planting, then I can work around all other production costs.

Eliminate these middlemen, farmers and youth will breathe.

2 Likes

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 9:25am On Oct 01, 2018
Willie2015:
No guaranteed market price for farm produce and wicked middlemen in the value chain are major problems.

If I have a guaranteed price per kilo for my product even before planting, then I can work around all other production costs.

Create this market yourself...open an outlet for your distribution close to you. Once your customers appreciate your produce, the sky is the limit. The possibility again is that you aggregate other farmer's produce while selling to your network.

1 Like

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 9:28am On Oct 01, 2018
abdullkabar:
I will say exposure to agriculture as a means to an end
And also the availability of funds
And a probable future in it
true, do you mean being a producer by accident? when other avenues seems bleak
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by abdullkabar(m): 11:56am On Oct 01, 2018
saliubello:
true, do you mean being a producer by accident? when other avenues seems bleak
I don't understand pls
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by SKINDOGGY: 12:22pm On Oct 01, 2018
Willie2015:

Eliminate these middlemen, farmers and youth will breathe.yeah bro especially in chicken marketing stage..dy feel like god as if u can't market it without dia help always quoting annoying price

1 Like

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by benzion72(m): 1:15pm On Oct 02, 2018
saliubello:
Did this made or twart the agric journey?

What is the point farming for tother to reap, the other day I read in a post where honey were harvested by thief
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 1:17pm On Oct 02, 2018
saliubello:
In your opinion, what issue is the biggest hindrance to youth participation in agriculture in Nigeria??

1. Access to Land

2. Funding

3. Seeds and Fertilizers

4. Training

5. Security

6. Access to Market

7. Low Irrigation Penetration

8. Lack of Mentors in this business

9. No Proper Re-orientation for Success in Agriculture

Farming is not exclusively LAND CULTIVATION & REARING OF ANIMALS. But they both exert so much influence on our being and nationhood..

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 9:32pm On Oct 02, 2018
The youths are the future. The future of agriculture. The future of food. The future of food surplus. A future without hunger. A future without Poverty ⠀

Investing in them is investing in our future.

Embrace Mechanization!!

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 11:06am On Oct 06, 2018
Add yours

Irrigation for vegetables and trees!

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by vroom(m): 8:14am On Oct 07, 2018
Agric pays....access to fund is the major issue

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 10:30pm On Oct 09, 2018
vroom:
Agric pays....access to fund is the major issue
but do you know a lot of people are loosing money this period in the name of venturing into agriculture? An enterprise into aquaculture or poultry can access funds via commercial banks IF THEY REALLY NEED IT, but not a cassava or maize or soybean farmers.

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by vroom(m): 11:34am On Oct 10, 2018
saliubello:
but do you know a lot of people are loosing money this period in the name of venturing into agriculture? An enterprise into aquaculture or poultry can access funds via commercial banks IF THEY REALLY NEED IT, but not a cassava or maize or soybean farmers.

The requirements is much
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 4:37pm On Oct 10, 2018
vroom:

The requirements is much
That's why I stated that "if they really need it". What I mean is that as a fish farmer or poultry farmer, I could decide to take any of the commercial bank's loan at "any Interest rate" knowing fully well that I have the market already to mop up my eggs and fishes but more importantly, the loan is for expansion activities and not to initiate or start a new farm. Perhaps, I needed to stock up the warehouse for feeding the birds or fishes when the price of the Soyabean, maize or wheat offal is cheap, and my birds are relatively young in lay.. they will be willing to loan me and I can pay back comfortably, the initial set up and stocking cost barrier has been broken.

Why not?? It must be option of last resort!

Short term financings ONLY.
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 21, 2018
Willie2015:

this is the major problem. Everyone knows farm work is not easy, but after all that work and you are not assured that your produce will fetch you a fair price to cover cost of production and still keep your pocket healthy, then its discouraging.Be it animal husbandry or cash crops ,the farmers are at the bottom chain of cash flow.
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 9:13pm On Nov 26, 2018
Inconsistent government policies
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by fakati(m): 10:47pm On Nov 26, 2018
Funding is the main determinant you need fund to acquire land which is the bedrock of farming be it crops and animal husbandry.
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 11:06pm On Nov 26, 2018
fakati:
Funding is the main determinant you need fund to acquire land which is the bedrock of farming be it crops and animal husbandry.
I defer here, lots of those who have challenges in their agribusiness ventures that I know, money is not their problems. Dearth of knowledge or ignorance about the day to day operations, or lack of knowledge behind the science that translates to high productivity is their main problems.. they have money..

Let's reason it together
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by saliubello(m): 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2020
Agribusiness. Agribusiness. Agribusiness

Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Ycube: 2:37pm On Jun 06, 2020
saliubello:
1. Inadequate funding.
2. Lack of security. (a) Fulani heards men.(b) kidnapping.
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Ycube: 2:39pm On Jun 06, 2020
saliubello:
1. Inadequate funding.
2. Lack of security. (a) Fulani heards men.(b) kidnapping
Re: What Issue Is The Biggest Hindrance To Youth Participation In Agriculture?? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:11am On Jun 08, 2020
saliubello:

For me? I'll say market. If there is a "reliable market selling at profitable prices", farmers won't mind even overcoming the other challenges. Their eyes will be set on the final goal.

Visit Benue and see the amount of food crops and fruits that waste away there

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pig Farmers In The House / 35hecters Of Farm Land For Sale aiong abuja-kaduna express / Garri Processing Machine Needed!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.