Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,335 members, 7,815,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. (1385 Views)

Court Stops Multichoice From Increasing Dstv Subscription Rates / Multichoice, DSTV/GOTV To Shut Down June 2019 / Multichoice Nigeria Loses In Court, To Pay N5.9 Billion ‘Damages’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 12:30pm On Oct 03, 2018
There are reasons why DSTV is the best there is anywhere in Africa, a feat unachievable by any Nigerian provider even in the next fifty years.
The funny part is most of these points are commonsensical but as we know, the simplest of solutions is mostly the one overlooked.
First of all, all of the content they broadcast is purchased straight from their original content creators. This means for football watchers the company has a deal with FIFA to broadcast whatever is the rage at the moment, the World Cup, Olympic football matches and whatever have you.
The company follows the same pattern when it comes to movies and series acquisitions. Nothing is aired on the service if its rights are not first purchased. They follow this stringent policy to a T, even if it means buying content late or when already stale.
Do you know what this means? It means they have the right to air content to African audiences exactly at the set time of broadcast — coinciding with international schedules and keeping viewers here as updated as their western counterparts.
It also means anytime an upgrade is done to the content, movies for example getting a visual update from Standard Definition to High Definition, 4K and the likes, DStv automatically gets their copy at little to no cost. Most Nigerians are ignorant of copyright laws as they only concern domestic artistic products and do not cover foreign created-works. We are safe to broadcast unlicensed and illegally obtained media within the country but leave ourselves open to international lawsuits and branded with ill reputation from content providers.

I’m here watching TV at the moment, staying awed at the fact everything I watch on every channel is fully owned by Multichoice South Africa. They can not get sued and have the legal right to broadcast their content at the highest possible video quality available.

See another benefit the company has capitalized on, every Africa Magic original movie they create is covered legally by them. I swear to God I have searched up and down online for some of their offerings — hoping to download them illegally and watch at my own free time. The only places I see them available are DStv sourced outlets. They are unavailable to download elsewhere. Do a check if you doubt me.
If any Nigerian marketer or satellite service tries to broadcast these movies posing as part of their offering na lawsuit things dem go face, a very good deterrent against copy cats.
Nigerians do not know this but goodwill is an important business tool when aiming for continuous success. Movie studios around the world, when considering African centric-sales, are familiar with Multichoice’s DStv and a handful of East African Arab-formed content providers. I can swear on my life they do not know and do not trust any Nigerian service provider. The reason is repeated business with the company since its inception in 1993 till date and the enforced copyright laws either the company follows or is available in South Africa.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 12:41pm On Oct 03, 2018
I am really surprised at how I wanted to make more points but kept hammering on this one. It is so important I had to highlight it in detail.
I guess it’s off to the drawing board to draw more points then.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 3:18am On Nov 17, 2018
Growing industries, talents and pop up channels.

The Nollywood industry has seen tremendous growth not from any government in power but from the South African company.
In their Corporate Social Responsibility they financially and intellectually aid in the creation of home made movies. They then purchase these movies for a premium, allowing them the rights to air the content on their Africa Magic and streaming services only.
Many Nigerian made-movies not intended for international audiences enjoy the now provided priviledge from the opportunity Multichoice South Africa presents.
The company continuously repeats this success in other African movie industries, building a catalog of sorts catering to niche markets: a Nigerian aimed entertainment package for Nigerians, Kenyan themed ones for Kenyans, Ghanaian ones for Ghanaians and South African-centric ones for their home market.

Who said African music artists were exempt from the fun? To get a high quality broadcast release of an artist’s music video one has to buy it straight from the source. Musicians now enjoy the option of selling a video, which they will otherwise give out free in return for promotion purposes, to the organization for broadcast on select channels.

The Big Brother Africa reality show and its many spin offs have seen the creation of homegrown talent.
Starting from the first edition in 2001 to the latest, which ended April 2018, a slew of youths hoping to realize their potential receive the chance to familiarize themselves to a continent wide audience. At the end of every edition a handful or more are selected who eventually secure jobs in the entertainment or any industry of their choosing.
The company airs adverts from time to time highlighting the lucky of these few.

For the movie and series lovers among us the company caters to our needs. Periodically pop up channels are broadcast depending on the season or theme. The now-running theme of DC movies has me able to catch up to Superman movies I enjoyed from juvenile years, all presented in High Definition – a far cry in quality from videotapes available at the time.
I can’t wait for Christmas, the company always has an end of year themed pop up channel – a convenient way to engage the little ones around the house.
The binge channel is a full weekend running event. Here series aficionados can watch whatever show the company chooses to air, running full season packages in a matter of days. All I do is press record and view what was captured later, NEPA is not friendly to long sit-down-and-watch activities so I scrape through whatever was collected from the experience at my convenience.

Catch Up
This function, I always claim, is enough to turn any average TV viewer into a couch potato.
Here, DStv [Multichoice] offers the opportunity for viewers to re-watch most shows missed during the week.
This is a first in Africa. Anyone who doubts can freely research and correct my assumption.
DStv caches select shows on the viewer’s decoder hard drive, enabling them choose favourites within the period of two to three weeks and enjoy in High Definition. I find this more rewarding than downloading the same shows online, which may come at a lower quality.

That’s it for now. If I come up with more reasons this thread is always open to continue. For now I can’t think of any more.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by Setnigeria: 7:27pm On Dec 18, 2018
meobizy:
Growing industries, talents and pop up channels.

The Nollywood industry has seen tremendous growth not from any government in power but from the South African company.
In their Corporate Social Responsibility they financially and intellectually aid in the creation of home made movies. They then purchase these movies for a premium, allowing them the rights to air the content on their Africa Magic and streaming services only.
Many Nigerian made-movies not intended for international audiences enjoy the now provided priviledge from the opportunity Multichoice South Africa presents.
The company continuously repeats this success in other African movie industries, building a catalog of sorts catering to niche markets: a Nigerian aimed entertainment package for Nigerians, Kenyan themed ones for Kenyans, Ghanaian ones for Ghanaians and South African-centric ones for their home market.

Who said African music artists were exempt from the fun? To get a high quality broadcast release of an artist’s music video one has to buy it straight from the source. Musicians now enjoy the option of selling a video, which they will otherwise give out free in return for promotion purposes, to the organization for broadcast on select channels.

The Big Brother Africa reality show and its many spin offs have seen the creation of homegrown talent.
Starting from the first edition in 2001 to the latest, which ended April 2018, a slew of youths hoping to realize their potential receive the chance to familiarize themselves to a continent wide audience. At the end of every edition a handful or more are selected who eventually secure jobs in the entertainment or any industry of their choosing.
The company airs adverts from time to time highlighting the lucky of these few.

For the movie and series lovers among us the company caters to our needs. Periodically pop up channels are broadcast depending on the season or theme. The now-running theme of DC movies has me able to catch up to Superman movies I enjoyed from juvenile years, all presented in High Definition – a far cry in quality from videotapes available at the time.
I can’t wait for Christmas, the company always has an end of year themed pop up channel – a convenient way to engage the little ones around the house.
The binge channel is a full weekend running event. Here series aficionados can watch whatever show the company chooses to air, running full season packages in a matter of days. All I do is press record and view what was captured later, NEPA is not friendly to long sit-down-and-watch activities so I scrape through whatever was collected from the experience at my convenience.

Catch Up
This function, I always claim, is enough to turn any average TV viewer into a couch potato.
Here, DStv [Multichoice] offers the opportunity for viewers to re-watch most shows missed during the week.
This is a first in Africa. Anyone who doubts can freely research and correct my assumption.
DStv caches select shows on the viewer’s decoder hard drive, enabling them choose favourites within the period of two to three weeks and enjoy in High Definition. I find this more rewarding than downloading the same shows online, which may come at a lower quality.

That’s it for now. If I come up with more reasons this thread is always open to continue. For now I can’t think of any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk55COUkLb4
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 3:44pm On Dec 28, 2018
Setnigeria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk55COUkLb4
If you get more than forty views from this forum I’ll start my New Year on a bad note.
Go and look for better ways to promote your videos. Spamming this place is not a good strategy.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 1:42am On Mar 08, 2020
Now, if only DStv could provide a bouquet for watching only programs recorded on decoders as well as accessing the Catch Up function. My decoder is so full with movies I recorded three years ago that I had to delete some without watching to make space for new programming.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by edoairways: 8:28pm On Mar 10, 2020
meobizy I noticed that Africa magic air more of Nigerian movies or is exclusive to Nigerian market?
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 8:43pm On Mar 10, 2020
edoairways:
meobizy I noticed that Africa magic air more of Nigerian movies or is exclusive to Nigerian market?
Africa Magic is geared more towards the Nigerian market. There was a time Multichoice experimented with Ghanaian movies on the platform but it seemed those didn’t match the story telling or quality of our movies. Other regions have their own Africa Magic stations e.g. Maisha Magic for East Africans and Mzansi Magic for South African audiences.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 8:02pm On Oct 05, 2020
4K is now a thing.
The company is soon to release their first 4K capable decoder into the African market: The Explora Ultra. Although they don’t promise much in terms of providing Ultra High Definition content, they assure users of the function through third party applications available on the device. This means Netflix, Hulu, HBO and what-have-you which provide UHD content directly on their different platforms can now broadcast them straight to the African market via a subsidized DStv subscription.

With the advent of HEVC being the preferable mode for content distribution, the Explora 2 was actually the first device from the company to support 4K video, though in H.265 format. The idea of making it the flagship 4K media decoder was likely phased out in favour of this new device — which obviously sports beefed up hardware.

Cons.
This is an opinion piece and thus will come from my own point of view. People complain about other demerits of the company’s service. To me most of them are unnecessary noise from people testing their writing prowess and debate skills.

i. Censorship.
The company has now gone overboard with this. I wish to complain, but on sitting to think, discovered the reasons why: the average Nigerian parent and the Nigerian government.

The Nigerian parent mostly has no idea what their children indulge in entertainment-wise and is quick to shift blame to content providers for what their children learn at odd hours of the night from R18 content.

The Nigerian government doesn’t make things easy for the company as they are quick to pick the complaints of these parents and use them to sanction the organization; collecting fines to fill already overflowing pockets.

All is fine and dandy with me. However, I don’t see why content is still rated 18 and over when it’s obvious that quality control butchered said movie, show, song or news down to PG status. They should know that single adults still subscribe to the service. If an adult-only show is watered to kiddy-level then the least the provider can do is not insult my intelligence with an 18+ tag. They should replace it with something more representative so I know not to waste my time. I have lost interest quickly in majorly movies when I detect the deletion of a scene or two.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 4:48pm On Feb 16, 2021
The pandemic brought forth a decline in cinema goers worldwide. The most ardent of them were forced to stay home when due to surging infection rates, movie theaters were forced to close for months on end. This turned a blessing to service providers as their contracts with film studios now mean a straight-to-broadcast release of recent blockbusters. It was a joyous moment to see on Multichoice's Box Office selection, a movie which was released worldwide only a day ago. Studios have realized that slow income is better than no income and have since adjusted expectations to meet reality. My dream of watching current cinema lineups comfortably at home has become the norm. It was only a matter of Multichoice eventually joining the bandwagon. I still prefer cinemas for the big picture and sound but will settle for a lesser offering if comfort is included.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by edoairways: 1:20pm On Feb 19, 2021
meobizy:
The pandemic brought forth a decline in cinema goers worldwide. The most ardent of them were forced to stay home when due to surging infection rates, movie theaters were forced to close for months on end. This turned a blessing to service providers as their contracts with film studios now mean a straight-to-broadcast release of recent blockbusters. It was a joyous moment to see on Multichoice's Box Office selection, a movie which was released worldwide only a day ago. Studios have realized that slow income is better than no income and have since adjusted expectations to meet reality. My dream of watching current cinema line ups comfortably at home has become the norm. It was only a matter of Multichoice eventually joining the bandwagon. I still prefer cinemas for the big picture and sound but will settle for a lesser offering if comfort is included.
Box office Vs cinemas, which shows current movies?
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by meobizy(f): 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2021
edoairways:

Box office Vs cinemas, which shows current movies?
For now it’s still cinemas. The whole new-movies-on-demand thing started recently so I’m expecting cinema releases to appear on Box Office anytime from the end of February and onwards.
Re: Multichoice’s Winning Strategy — An Opinion. by edoairways: 6:21pm On Feb 19, 2021
meobizy:

For now it’s still cinemas. The whole new-movies-on-demand thing started recently so I’m expecting cinema releases to appear on Box Office anytime from the end of February and onwards.
Ok thanks

(1) (Reply)

Dead Of Micheal Scorfield. / Where Have The Classic Nigerian Movies Gone? / Whatever Happened To Coca Cola's Award Winning Adverts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.