Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,083 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 (3960 Views)

Engine Ringing! Please Help / Updated .....Hyundia Elantra 07, (2.0 limited)Vs Honda Civic 07(1.8) / Final Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 4:51pm On Oct 11, 2018
This has been a very expensive week for me ..... Most of the parts that I bought were very much needed for the "ringing". Of 07 elantra engine, such parts has rings, pistons, seals ,timing engine and alternator belt. The timing belt and alternator belt were not really needed.. But through research those belts do have a life span, so it is better to change them now than later.

So when these items were given to the mechanic, he was highly impressed.. He stated that those items I bought were original parts ,and that it will hard to get them in Ladipo .after taken down the engine apart, you can tell that the pistons will need to replace, the 16valves that looks like a huge needle, will be properly wash with soap and water or kersone . So no need to replace them. The only items the mechanic needed was gaskets and some minor things that cost 10k naira
I spoke to the mechanic on the coz of the oil shortage, he stated that the rings were worn out ,and also poor maintenance and bad oil will coz the oil to short.. He stated that even after rebuilt ,the car can last up to eight months. This will depend on how the car is taken care of after the " ringing" . We both concluded that once it gets to the point you are ringing engine it is time to sell the car or buy new engine. But the point here is even if you buy tokunbo engine, you don't really know the exact milage that engine has done. You taking a gamble here.
The cost of ringing the engine is 50k and the cost of the parts that I bought is about $200 . Now once the ringing is done ,the car has to driven slowly for two days ,so that the new parts can adjust properly..

MY LESSON LEARNED... Now from this experience, what I learn is that a lot of people on uber thread have no clue on car maintenance. If you have a car and you continue to rebuilt the engine, you are wasting your time.. Sell the car and move on even if you are using the car for uber. Most of the tokunbo cars that are been sold all over at least 100k miles... so with proper care, which of coz it will not happen in Nigeria. Those cars should last a good three years.. The reason is that a car engine has roughly about 300k miles life span ,if it is taken care of Anything after that, you start to rebuilt engine and waste money . With good oil change coolant etc you can push it up few more years or miles. My experience with elantra has also been very good. Those cars are rugged and are has good has a corolla. I will reccomend elantra 07 to 10 to anyone with confidence.. Just make sure you use proper oil ,coolant etc ..now the importance of full synthetic oil for these cars ,is due to high milage.. Most of the cars on uber are high milage cars . The only wish I had knew was to have taken care of the car from day one. Now am spending 100k to fix it . At the same time the car really tried .the milage on that car is 194k miles and I bought it
tokunbo when the car was 147k miles .. At that high milage timing belt and alternator belt will need to changed... so people out there take care of your cars. So that you can avoid bleeding your wallet red .if you like continue to rebuilt engine ,the engine is 90k and body of car is 200k plus.. The engine is new, but the body is old smh ...rebuilt don't last forever.. This is my hands on experience... #team elantra for uber # I have a new level of respect for the car . Thank

2 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by Almaiga: 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
Make i park my Keke dey observe here.

1 Like

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dannywest: 7:40pm On Oct 11, 2018
I'm lost
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 7:45pm On Oct 11, 2018
dannywest:
I'm lost

Please how are you lost ? The cause of the oil shorten was due to bad maintenance and worn out rings.. In the past oil the quality of oil was bad ,and water was used instead of coolant.. And the car had high milage.. All these contributed to oil shorten.

Engine rebuilt : even if you "ring" the engine it will not last too long , if you are lucky six months time .. And after buying tokunbo engine, which is 50/50 chance that the engine will last another how many miles? You will now ring the engine again ? Now if you know the milage of the new engine, let's say 60k miles, than for sure with good care the engine is worth it ..

My experience so far, take care of the car from the very start. And you spend less in the long run. Before the ringing of the engine, I checked the coolant level of the engine. There was no coolant whats do ever.. The engine has been running on hot boiling water ..so for the elantra to last that long ,the engine really tried and it shows the engine was built to high degree. Car bought with 147k miles to last 194k miles with bad oil for a year plus ..the car try now . My brother if you don't understand, I don't know what to tell you...

2 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:45pm On Oct 11, 2018
Waiting for the inevitable "buy my coconut oil" plugin. I shall not be disappointed. grin

2 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 9:00pm On Oct 11, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Waiting for the inevitable "buy my coconut oil" plugin. I shall not be disappointed. grin

Ha , not really my brother.. My point is take care of the car from the start, that is my point... so that no mechanic can rob you of your hard earn money .. .also when a mechanic tells you that ringing will only last certain amount of time . My experience tday was an eye opening ..looking at the engine bay of the elantra, it gives the mechanic enough room to work around.. Looking at the coolant storage, with no coolant inside .I just shook my head.. If people can just do the basic maintenance, what is the point in rebuild? I asked the mechanic to buy coolant, he said there is 2k naira.. And to find original is very tough ,in these hot Nigeria water .smh ..
Now I don't want to beat my own drum ..whether people buy oil from me or not , am still laughing to the bank.. For a guy that has not much of experience on cars at all, for a guy that can't even change car tire ..and for me to just do a little research. and buy 95% of parts for so call ringing.. I try small
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:28pm On Oct 11, 2018
dru23:

Ha , not really my brother.. My point is take care of the car from the start, that is my point... so that no mechanic can rob you of your hard earn money .. .also when a mechanic tells you that ringing will only last certain amount of time . My experience tday was an eye opening ..looking at the engine bay of the elantra, it gives the mechanic enough room to work around.. Looking at the coolant storage, with no coolant inside .I just shook my head.. If people can just do the basic maintenance, what is the point in rebuild? I asked the mechanic to buy coolant, he said there is 2k naira.. And to find original is very tough ,in these hot Nigeria water .smh ..
Now I don't want to beat my own drum ..whether people buy oil from me or not , am still laughing to the bank.. For a guy that has not much of experience on cars at all, for a guy that can't even change car tire ..and for me to just do a little research. and buy 95% of parts for so call ringing.. I try small

Haha, true, bro. Goodluck with your rebuild and keep us updated. smiley
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 10:15pm On Oct 11, 2018
Almaiga:
Make i park my Keke dey observe here.

Lol
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 12:34am On Oct 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

"Ringing " is basically done ...with the parts that I bought from autozone /eBay, am hoping I can get another 18months out of it. Once the engine was taken down .whatever issue the car had was right in front of the mechanic... end of update, only concern I have now is coolant.. There is no point going through "ringing" and not have proper coolant or original coolant .
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by mcevans1(m): 1:50am On Oct 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Following grin
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by mcevans1(m): 1:50am On Oct 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Following
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:45pm On Oct 12, 2018
dru23:

Lol

BRO please what state did this take place?
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 2:44pm On Oct 12, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Bro you forget... this is Ogun state ,right in front of your living room
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 2:46pm On Oct 12, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

Bro you forget... this is Ogun state ,right in front of your living room . Silly boy ,make I start with you
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:29pm On Oct 12, 2018
dru23:

Bro you forget... this is Ogun state ,right in front of your living room . Silly boy ,make I start with you

I tot u r my MAN? are u not my main nigga again?
remember how I offered to buy drink for u thinking u were in the states? ogun and Lagos, then u said its the United States......

and I offered wen everyone else couldn't understand ur syndrome..... and they were just bashing u anyhow thinking its an attitude thing!

remember oh

2 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:58pm On Oct 12, 2018
Is it OK to make mistakes sometimes? Yes, to improve and establish known routes /events/ actions that are likely to fail.

Is it OK to NOT make mistakes at all? Yes and No!

Yes, it is OK depending on the context. One can also learn from other people's mistakes and avoid making similar mistakes in that related field.

No, to make up one's mind that he/she will not make mistakes at all in life means he is unwilling to partake in just about anything. This answer deals with the mindset and not the actual outcome.

We should constantly be improving and anyone who decides that it's time to stop learning is already half dead. In the journey of knowledge, one can make calculated mistakes that do not significantly impact sensitive areas of one's life Negatively .....

Is it OK to make mistakes all the time? I leave this one for you to answer!

Dru33, this ur original post does not only defy the laws of grammar and structure but it also defies the law of reason! I read it again and again and I'm still trying to decipher the person /algorithm/ program that marked your IELTS/TOEFL exam and certified you.

please try to make ur future posts meaningful at the least, it doesn't cost much now..... does it? let us tackle the spelling and structure with our conscious mind, but the reason/purpose has to be germane ....

please I'm begging, I make mistakes too but I try as much as possible to reduce it, u r not even trying at all..... No purpose, no rationale, no reasonable target, no aim, scalar....... Bros haba please, I can even beg autoelect to probably school u a little in these things.....

please

3 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:04pm On Oct 12, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
Is it OK to make mistakes sometimes? Yes, to improve and establish known routes /events/ actions that are likely to fail.

Yes, it is OK depending on the context. One can also learn from other people's mistakes and avoid making similar mistakes in that related field.

No, to make up one's mind that he/she will not make mistakes at all in life means he is unwilling to partake in just about anything. This answer deals with the mindset and not the actual outcome.

We should constantly be improving and anyone who decides that it's time to stop learning is already half dead. In the journey of knowledge, one can make calculated mistakes that do not significantly impact sensitive areas of one's life Negatively .....

Dru33, this ur original post does not only defy the laws of grammar and structure but it also defies the law of reason! I read it again and again and I'm still trying to decipher the person /algorithm/ program that marked your IELTS/TOEFL exam and certified you.

please try to make ur future posts meaningful at the least, it doesn't cost much now..... does it? let us tackle the spelling and structure with our conscious mind, but the reason/purpose has to be germane ....

please I'm begging, I make mistakes too but I try as much as possible to reduce it, u r not even trying at all..... No purpose, no rationale, no reasonable target, no aim, scalar....... Bros haba please, I can even beg autoelect to probably school u a little in these things.....

please

Shots fired. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:21am On Oct 13, 2018
most african people, dont understand the art of car maintanance and with misuse of a car for the wrong job shortens the life of the engine or the body

was reading here, one serviced his car by washing the plugs, there are certain parts on cars that need regular change with new parts, not scavaging the same old

1 Like

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 1:04am On Oct 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

I tot u r my MAN
? are u not my main nigga again?
remember how I offered to buy drink for u thinking u were in the states? ogun and Lagos, then u said its the United States......

and I offered wen everyone else couldn't understand ur syndrome..... and they were just bashing u anyhow thinking its an attitude thing!

remember oh
Are you trying to toast me ?
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 1:12am On Oct 13, 2018
ZIMDRILL:
most african people, dont understand the art of car maintanance and with misuse of a car for the wrong job shortens the life of the engine or the body

was reading here, one serviced his car by washing the plugs, there are certain parts on cars that need regular change with new parts, not scavaging the same old

You shall live long my brother.. Can you imagine I was trying to explain the importance of coolant.. And I was bash up and down. The car I was rebuilding had zero coolant, I try to explain to the mechanic that I must buy coolant. The mechanic seems pretty good, but I felt that he should be the one pushing me to buy coolant.. Long story I tire, I will now import my own coolant from now on.. My conclusion is that most people have zero clue on car maintenance.
And upon all the car thread. Nobody talks the importance of changing your timing belt and alternator belt.. A lot of cars or let say tokunbo cars are due for all these things to be change. Most of the cars that come in are high milage. One person stated that, he or she don't understand why people use full synthetic oil . And people should use more of conventional oil. On a car that is mostly at least over 100k miles. Omo I shake my head. Can you imagine conventional oil on a car that people use on uber?
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 1:13am On Oct 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

please

2 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 1:15am On Oct 13, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Shots fired. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 1:27am On Oct 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

please

Omo we talking about cars here. You are talking about mistake yes you are correct.. We make mistakes, when we don't do the basic maintenance on our cars.. This mistake will now cost us more money on the long run.. That is the mistake you should be focusing on.. You are now focus on my grammar na that you want chop. Or am I taking an online English exam?

1 Like

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by dru23(m): 2:02am On Oct 13, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

You forget the most common one ..people wash the engine of their cars.. Am not a car expert o. But common sense will tell you that washing a car engine ,might not be a good idea ..this applies especially in the Nigerian environment.. The right tools are not readily avaliable.. I had a similar experience, the car engine of my uber car was wash.. Few minutes later, the car was jerking.. So they had to drain the plugs and dry up the plugs .I said to myself who washes car engine, was the car playing in the mud?
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:00am On Oct 13, 2018
dru23:

You forget the most common one ..people wash the engine of their cars.. Am not a car expert o. But common sense will tell you that washing a car engine ,might not be a good idea ..this applies especially in the Nigerian environment.. The right tools are not readily avaliable.. I had a similar experience, the car engine of my uber car was wash.. Few minutes later, the car was jerking.. So they had to drain the plugs and dry up the plugs .I said to myself who washes car engine, was the car playing in the mud?

true

i am non nigerian

and have nigerian guy who does buying from
auctions and brings car to us to fix to it can be roadworth

so far he has created problem for himself on 3 cars always cleaning the engine and cars not starting

i told cleaning an engine needs someone who knows parts to avoid and also as buyer i wouldnt want a car with shinning engine unless if the car is for motor shows

cleaning an engine on car you want to resale sort of makes it as if you are hiding something eg oil leak

you know a non leaking oil or grease engine will never attract dust, the engine should be in its dry looking nothing dusty or shinny
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:14am On Oct 13, 2018
dru23:

You shall live long my brother.. Can you imagine I was trying to explain the importance of coolant.. And I was bash up and down. The car I was rebuilding had zero coolant, I try to explain to the mechanic that I must buy coolant. The mechanic seems pretty good, but I felt that he should be the one pushing me to buy coolant.. Long story I tire, I will now import my own coolant from now on.. My conclusion is that most people have zero clue on car maintenance.
And upon all the car thread. Nobody talks the importance of changing your timing belt and alternator belt.. A lot of cars or let say tokunbo cars are due for all these things to be change. Most of the cars that come in are high milage. One person stated that, he or she don't understand why people use full synthetic oil . And people should use more of conventional oil. On a car that is mostly at least over 100k miles. Omo I shake my head. Can you imagine conventional oil on a car that people use on uber?

99% of all imports to africa are high mileage hence there are cheap to the man on street, thats reason they also breakdown quickly if you dont do your own maintainance

in africa people get attracted to the body than the engine, here in the west main thing is mileage which also sort of say the age of the car based on the theory that an average family car does 10000miles per year, so any car which is 10 year old based on the manufuctures date should have atleast 90000 and above

so all imports which low mileage are rolled back and the engine would need good maintainance etc unfortunately for africa the engine is choked to its death by overloading and poor regular maintainance

1 Like

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by ironheart(m): 7:15am On Oct 13, 2018
This is a technician hangout not a class room. Some teachers need to learn the difference. I hope mode of this forum can do something abouth the class teacher derailing OPs thread

Cc gazzuzz
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:54am On Oct 13, 2018
dru23:

Omo we talking about cars here. You are talking about mistake yes you are correct.. We make mistakes, when we don't do the basic maintenance on our cars.. This mistake will now cost us more money on the long run.. That is the mistake you should be focusing on.. You are now focus on my grammar na that you want chop. Or am I taking an online English exam?

if it is about cars and maintenance then I really don't understand why the excess digressions here and there....
the topic alone is misleading if the purpose is car maintenance..... ur topic feels and looks like ** steps or perfected steps in ringing an engine.

you started with the buying of expensive parts so the reader starts thinking .... OK ringing a vehicle with oem parts from "the states"; OK.

you digressed to how ringing an engine is only a temporary and short lived solution to a bad engine and even buying a tokunbo engine is not also advisable and we should sell cars when they short oil...... negates the purpose of the first!

you then digressed significantly to mileage and expiration mileage of cars.

then u digressed to your main purpose even though u didnt want to be truthful and elaborate.
...... AFS oils..................
then u ended with "rebuilt" don't last forever.... and I am SMH.....

what is the true purpose of this thread.... if it is about cars maintenance then let it be about just that and digressions; which should be minimal, should be related and not in pure contrast..... if u used oem parts from the states and ur mechanic was praising u upandan then y should the vehicle only have 8 months in it or thereabout? even common sense will not entertain such thoughts..... talk more of critical reasoning!

I had to call u out because the rate at which u post these ur kaya is becoming alarming, caution urself as someone from the states, justify that certificate BRO ..... we shouldn't be bashing u, we should be advising u to help u and those around u.

OK how much is your oil, lemme see if I will recommend someone to buy, so u can rest small

3 Likes

Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:56am On Oct 13, 2018
ironheart:
This is a technician hangout not a class room. Some teachers need to learn the difference. I hope mode of this forum can do something abouth the class teacher derailing OPs thread

Cc gazzuzz
abeg OH no be teacher issue oh, on the contrary, I am trying to rail him sef.... it's not technical if his every post defeats purpose..... so if I use oem parts to fix an engine it is still not OK? I buy tokunbo.... still not OK, I should sell the car off? did u read his post?
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:00am On Oct 13, 2018
dru23:

not English, common reason! who English epp, that why u r tested for reading and comprehension during your TOEFL and ielts ...... capiche?

emphasis on comprehension.... even though u might wanna still look tough I'm sure u know what I'm talking about......

and I hope u improve soon, this particular post is the height of it..... abeg..... let them have purpose please
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:02am On Oct 13, 2018
ironheart:

Cc gazzuzz

who did u even cc? hahahahahahaha hahahahahahahah

I will still

hahahahahahahahahahaha
bros no make me laugh abeg

if my oga that u cc comments here, I will park.... promise....
the guy in question is a serial offender when it comes to derailing threads.

BTW, this thread is in response to one of my recommendations and that is why it is a case study to me. dru, u would have just posted pics of the afs u have in stock and prices.... shikena....... and keep the URL handy as well.... topic should have also been strategic to catch attention as well..... don't worry I can still fix this for u!
Re: Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 by ironheart(m): 8:31am On Oct 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
abeg OH no be teacher issue oh, on the contrary, I am trying to rail him sef.... it's not technical if his every post defeats purpose..... so if I use oem parts to fix an engine it is still not OK? I buy tokunbo.... still not OK, I should sell the car off? did u read his post?
i did bro. Lets allow everyone have there say. In every rubbish, there is a message. There are people out there with Elantra. He can be a case study to them. With the way he is being grammar shamed. He may not update the thread in future. Most of us including i for one. Translate our mother tongue to English word for word

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Sell My Infiniti G35 2008 Model Asap / What Makes Mercedes Benz Different From Others? / Photo: World's First Car Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.