Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,565 members, 7,816,382 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Compare 3 Xiaomi temperature sensors - Video Games And Gadgets For Sale - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Video Games And Gadgets For Sale / Compare 3 Xiaomi temperature sensors (2394 Views)

Motion Detection With PIR Sensors And Arduino / Monitor Temperature And Humidity Using DHT11 Temp Sensor And Arduino (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Compare 3 Xiaomi temperature sensors by rfremote: 12:10pm On Oct 16, 2018
The manufacturer Xiaomi offers a very wide range of products, and for several years now there have been a good number of connected objects on the market dedicated to home automation in order to create a connected house easily. As usual, Xiaomi offers products with a very attractive price/quality ratio.

In this article, I will introduce you to the different Xiaomi temperature sensors, it should be noted that they also include moisture measurement (hygrometry). The article will be limited to essential information.

The Xiaomi Aqara sensor
Let's start with the Aqara temperature humidity sensor, a member of the Xiaomi Aqara family, this is the most compact model offered by Aqara (3.60 x 3.60 x 0.90 cm). It is a pure probe that has no interest alone since it does not have a display unlike the other models.

To retrieve the values (temperature and humidity) you will need to use the Xiaomi application after associating the sensor with your account. Afterwards, you can easily include this sensor in your home automation solution, like Jeedom.

The connection is of course wireless and is based on the ZigBee protocol, perfectly managed by the Xiaomi gateway, which I will tell you about in the conclusion. The back of the sensor has an adhesive part so that the sensor can be glued where you want it.

Concerning the measurement, here is the information about the supported range and accuracy:

- Temperature detection range: -20 - 60 °C (+/- 0.3 °C)
- Humidity detection range: 0 - 100% (+/- 0.3%)
- Atmospheric pressure detection range: 30 - 110 KPa (+/- 120 Pa)

Reading the above information, you will notice that the probe also measures atmospheric pressure. It is the only Xiaomi probe to retrieve this information. The resistance offered by this sensor and its format offers an interesting resistance, so that we can consider installing one outdoors (a minimum sheltered despite everything in relation to the lifetime).

Finally, given the fineness and size of the probe, it is powered by a CR2032 button cell battery (supplied), the duration of which is estimated at 1 year (standard estimated duration for Xiaomi probes).

The Xiaomi Mijia sensor (YWSDCGQ/01ZM)
Let's now move on to the Xiaomi Mijia sensor (ref. YWSDCGQ/01ZM): equipped with a display, I must admit that I like its design because beyond the fact that it is a connected sensor, we can also know the temperature and humidity level by looking at the sensor. On a daily basis, it's a big plus.

The sensor comes in two parts: a base that you can stick to the wall, and the probe that can be detached from the base, especially to change the battery, and which is positioned there with a magnet. I find it design and pretty enough, pretty enough to highlight it on a wall or piece of furniture.

In terms of dimensions, we are on a probe twice as large as the model seen above: 6.08 x 6.08 x 6.08 x 2.25 cm - including the thickness. It should be noted that the sensor is powered by an AAA battery that can be easily changed and has the advantage of being inexpensive.

Here is the information about the supported range and accuracy:

- Temperature detection range: -9.9 - 60 °C (+/- 0.1 °C)
- Humidity detection range: 0 - 99.9% (+/- 0.1%)

The accuracy is better than the first sensor but the range is smaller at the maximum negative temperature.

This probe does not communicate with the Zigbee protocol, its communication mode is BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) which implies having a Bluetooth gateway. Either from Xiaomi, or with your Jeedom box equipped with a Bluetooth chip and the BLEA plug-in, or know that some Xiaomi products like the Xiaomi Philips Zhirui lamp play this role of BLE gateway. By combining Bluetooth antennas, they can act as relays and thus provide a very interesting range.

The Xiaomi Mijia sensor (MHO-C201)
Finally, I will talk to you about a third sensor: the Xiaomi Mijia (MHO-C201), which I have never had the opportunity to test but which is similar to the other sensor in the Mijia range. In the same price range as the BLE probe, it does not offer any connectivity according to its technical data sheet on the different sites. This is surprising and above all trivializes it as an autonomous probe.

In terms of dimensions, the probe has the size of the other Mijia probe but with the thickness of the Aqara probe, which implies the use of a CR2032 button cell and gives the following dimensions: 6.45 x 6.45 x 0.90 cm.

At the installation level, either you can glue it or put it on its base where it will be held in a vertical position, it is good news if you want to put it on a piece of furniture. You can also place it on your refrigerator because there is a sticker with a magnetic surface provided in the box.

Here is the information about the supported range and accuracy:

- Temperature detection range: 0 - 60 °C (+/- 0.3 °C)
- Humidity detection range: 0 - 100% (+/- 3%)

This model offers the narrowest ranges and there is a lack of accuracy on the humidity level: 3%, compared to 0.1% and 0.3% for the other two sensors.

On the E-ink screen, above the humidity level, a smiley screen with 6 different expressions will appear to indicate whether the room atmosphere is comfortable or not. The goal being of course to make him smile!

Conclusion
To use these different sensors (except the last one), it will be necessary to acquire the basic equipment: the Xiaomi gateway. The classic Xiaomi gateway will be compatible with both Aqara and Mijia sensors, while the Aqara gateway will have a unique compatibility with connected Aqara objects and offers Homekit compatibility.

You can bypass the use of the Xiaomi gateway, but this implies having a home automation box equipped with the right antennas, for example being able to communicate in Zigbee to drive the Xiaomi Aqara sensor.

As for prices, they vary according to the promotions of the moment, count less than 15 euros each (regardless of the model). A price that can drop below 10 euros from time to time for the Xiaomi Aqara sensor.

In fact, depending on the uses and rooms where you want to put Xiaomi probes, I think it is necessary to mix between the Xiaomi Aqara probe (Zigbee) and the Xiaomi Mijia probe (ref. YWSDCGQ/01ZM - Bluetooth). It may be relevant to have a probe with a screen in the kitchen and have a single probe in the garage, for example.

What is home automation?

At a time when the market for connected objects is exploding, the world of home automation and electronics is made up of regular innovations

Derived from the Latin Domus (home) this innovative technology is a contraction of the terms "domus" and "computer"

Home automation includes all the electronic, computer and telecommunications techniques and technologies used to automate and improve tasks in a home, thus providing considerable comfort gains in lighting, energy, heating, water, openings and closures (blinds, garage doors, etc.)

We can talk about connected objects, in the service of the passenger compartment.

What is home automation for?

A specific project corresponds to each need

Indeed, it can be programmed according to the installations for which it wishes to have a simplified management

Home automation has no real limits, everything can become automated thanks to this innovation.

These tasks can be related to comfort (lighting, automation of household tasks, etc.), energy savings (heating management, consumption analysis, etc.) or safety (smoke detectors, alarms, video surveillance, etc.).

Thanks to sensors integrated into the heart of the house, it becomes communicating

Every action, expenditure, consumption can be monitored: - the lights that are on - the temperature in each room - the state of openings (doors, windows...) - the rooms occupied - etc....

From these observations, it is possible to act on control modules: - on/off of a light - on/off of heating - on/off of an electrical appliance - etc....

Each action can also be controlled automatically, for example at fixed times, or with control radio modules (remote controls, touch screens, Smartphone...) Home automation improves daily life by facilitating certain tasks and by integrating today's technologies directly into the center of the house.

How does home automation work?

There are several technologies used in home automation. The principle of each of them is to have the equipment communicate with each other. For example: a sensor indicates that the living room window is open. The radiator in the living room is then automatically switched off after 30 seconds to avoid unnecessary heating.

Among all these technologies, we can distinguish three main types: - Powerline technology (this technology uses the existing EDF network, and thus makes it possible to do the minimum work in the house.) e.g.: CPL

Technology by radio wave (the elements communicate with each other by radio waves: wifi, bluetooth, 433Mhz...) - Proprietary wired technology (CAN bus, 1-wire bus...)

Although home automation is in full development, it remains very expensive today and requires a certain confidence on the part of the user

Nevertheless, the sales arguments remain convincing: significant energy savings, total control of the cabin and a real deterrent for thieves

Program your lights to turn on at night, when there is no one there: guaranteed deterrence.

Re: Compare 3 Xiaomi temperature sensors by EvanMacLeod: 1:50pm On Nov 30, 2020
This is interesting, thank you for sharing. With this sensor you can therefore measure the temperature and humidity. Handy for in your bathroom to control the ventilation. The temperature meter is of course easy to combine with your heating so that you know the exact temperature in every room. It works via the Zigbee protocol and is powered by a CR-2032 button cell battery. This is a fairly standard battery and can be purchased almost everywhere.
Re: Compare 3 Xiaomi temperature sensors by JaCobPaterss: 1:52pm On Nov 30, 2020
Hi, thanks for the helpful post. I just want to buy a water temperature sensor and I'm looking for information about it. So, during my research, I learned that it is necessary to measure the temperature of water in order to prevent the appearance of various bacteria in it. As you probably know, water quality is very important for people and it affects their life and health. Therefore, I think everyone should monitor the water condition to avoid various health troubles. If you also want to learn more about this, I recommend reading about water temperature sensors on this blog. I hope you find my post useful.

(1) (Reply)

Bonanza Prize Of Ps2 P3 Psp Games Consoles / Brand New / Used Slim Ps3 For Sale / PES 2017 Option File ( Full Kits, Logos, Epl, Laliga, Bundesliga)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.