Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,126 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

The First And Greatest Commandment - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First And Greatest Commandment (260 Views)

Two Greatest Commandment / The Fourth Commandment: The Sabbath. / This Is The Commandment For Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The First And Greatest Commandment by xproducer: 3:30am On Oct 17, 2018
One of the primary purposes of this brief message is to highlight Almighty God’s wonderfully magnanimous approach in relating to his creation, (and how we relate to one another; Matthew 22:39, Luke 6:30-32). In essence, love for/obedience to God are fundamental parts of the “first and great commandment.”

Matthew 22:34-40 - The Scribes: Which Is the First Commandment of All?
But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

What is Love for the Lord GOD?

The Lord tells us Himself:
John 14:15 - “If you love Me, keep My commandments. (God’s commandments are contained throughout the entire holy Bible, but codified, are generally in Exodus 20:1-27, Mark 10:19)

John 14:21 - He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

John 15:10 - If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

So again, love for God is obedience to Him by keeping/obeying what He has said.

Note: Keeping of the commandments/law is not a method of salvation because none can keep all perfectly – “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” - Ephesians 2:8-9; however, it is important to know that good truly comes to us by keeping God’s commandments, which are for life. Matthew 19:17

Peace and Blessings!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward.
" - Psalm 19:9-11

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Flesh Must Die 3 / Coptic Christian Attack: Funerals In Egypt For Seven Murdered Pilgrims / The Lifestyle Of Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.