Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

If Love Was Enough - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / If Love Was Enough (766 Views)

If Love Were Perilous. A Story Of Compromise And Needs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 10:12am On Oct 18, 2018
What do you think about this story?

I am alone. Seated staring at the worn out poster of Adam Levine singing in front of a raving crowd and crawled on the bed right in front of me is my fuzzy little Tibetan spaniel, Chastity. Still I am alone. I am an introvert at least that's what they all say, and being alone is our comfort zone right? Right? A few days ago, I wouldn't even be pondering that question. But all of a sudden, the fact of my loneliness hit me squarely on the head like a trailer loaded with a truck load of garbage. I lie there on the single bed with rumpled pocked mark bed sheets covering everywhere but my skinny frame. I gaze at the ceiling and count the tiles. I wish my life would end. Just anything to rid me of this feeling of self loathe and shame.
It all started with a birthday party in a typical university setting. I was busy playing Naruto ultimate Ninja impact on my laptop when my best friend and roommate barged into the room. The door swung open, rattling its hinges and banged against the wall. The sound caused me to jump a foot off the bed from fear.
"Jeesus, Jerry!" I screamed.
"Chillax, what're you doing?" Jerry was skinny like me but his fashionable dressing and savoir fair expressions made him an absolute babe magnet.
"I was chilling until you came and made me piss myself," I grunted, though I didn't as much as break eye contact from the computer screen.
"You know, one day you're going to get stuck on that bed and then mosses and green algae would grow over you like one of those...em... What's it sef?" my friend closed his eye in concentration.
Of course I knew the word. Someone's got to have the brains in this our ill-fated relationship.
"Garden gnome. The word is garden gnome," I said dourly.
Jerry snapped his fingers. "Exactly!" he got the wardrobe open and threw a bunch of clothes on my legs, on the floor, on my computer screen. I almost saw red.
"Jerry, watch it!" I grabbed the clothes hanging on my laptop screen and flung it at him. I quickly went back to my game but I was just in time to watch my Avatar's head get ripped off from his shoulders. The words Game Over flashed on the screen. "Great," I said.
I tore my face off the screen and flashed him my devil face. I immediately noticed him wearing his party shirt. It was always the same shirt. A black T-shirt with the words, 'Hoes before bros' printed boldly in the front and something else printed on the back. I refuse to mention what it was because of its sheer indecency. I've no idea where my friend finds his shirts.
"Where are you up to?" I asked.
"Party. You coming?" Jerry replied.
"Of course!" I jumped off the bed and donned on a pair of jeans. Then we were both out the door.
The party was thrown in the celebrant's hostel. We all gathered in a circle in the celebrant's room, an empty beer bottle in the middle spinning round and round in a wild game of truth or dare. The room was located on the first floor of a two storey apartment building. The room was big enough to accommodate a PSP garbage truck. It didn't have a door, just a doorway. The walls were nothing but yellow paints, slowly peeling and dropping to the floor. I had a million questions running through my mind. How do you live without a door to your room? Something eerily mysterious was going on with the room’s atmosphere. It was hot as a furnace while the walls were cold. Is that even safe? Can the crazy guy without the trousers stop jumping up and down on the floor? It could literally bring the house down and our lives with it.
Instead, I just shut up and watched each player make a complete fool of themselves. That is until the devil's bottle spun around and at last pointed directly at me.
"Hey! Kingsley, get up bro!" one drunk guy with a tray full of folded paper in a basket said. He was probably the MC for the evening.
I grudgingly got up. "Really guys. You can just skip me and-"
"Skip? Hey are you shy?" he roared.
Everyone thundered unanimously, “Why shall I shy?”
I sighed. “Okay, what does it say?”
Being ever the dramatist, the MC staggered over to me and draped an arm over my shoulder. He unfolded the paper and read it aloud.
“You are to pick a girl of your choice and kiss her in front of everyone.”
“Whoa! Oh my God,” one girl giggled to another.
“No way am I kissing that weirdo,” one girl whispered to another.
Who to pick? Who to pick? Who to pick? If I didn’t pick anyone, I’d be labelled a loser for the rest of my life. Plus I’d really let down my friend.
“Hey you got this, bro. there’s scores of hot chicks here. Just pick one,” Jerry said.
“Yeah. Pick one!” another boy said.
Who to pick!
“Not me. Ugnh,” a girl said. She clung to the guy seated next to her and hugged him close. The guy stared at me and winked.
Who to pick!
“The clock is ticking,” the MC said impatiently.
I almost screamed, SHUT UP! That was when I saw her. She was seated at the edge of the crowd staring blankly out the window. I don’t think she was even aware where she was. The crowd went dead in silence as they noticed I was pointing at someone. All eyes spurned towards her direction. She must have sensed everyone staring at her because her head whirled to face the crowd. Slowly, her eyes rose, and I was frozen. She was prettier than a dream. Her hair was a jet black fringe that tumbled down her shoulder and partially obscured her fair face. Her eyes were a pool of honey and her red lips were parted in astute wonder. I wondered.
“Chiefo, I think he’s pointing at you,” a girl said. She prodded Chiefo by the shoulder and slowly pushed her up. Chiefo got up and walked towards me, her eyes never leaving mine. I could feel beads of sweat snake down the arc of my back all the way into my firm buttocks. I hoped she didn’t notice. I suddenly became aware what we were expected to do. She stood before me, her body so close to mine that I could feel the tiny wisp of air she exhaled out of her lungs. And she stared. I had to do something but my vocal chords ceased to function.
“Err…” I stammered.
“Close your eyes. Don’t make it weird,” she said with a voice, smokey and smooth, like honeyed whisky. A voice like a late morning in bed.
I closed my eyes. My breathing stopped. Could this be it? Could I be getting my first kiss?
Then I felt her. Her soft hands held my neck, caressing it. Something soft pressed against my lips. It felt fresh, moist and hot. Her teeth bit against my bottom lip. Her tongue prodded my teeth. I was about to open them and give in to her but she slid back. I flipped my eyes open, watching as she made her way back to her chair, taking a seat. In the deadening silence, my heart stopped beating. She smiled at me. I blushed.
Suddenly, the crowd lauded our kiss with a shout that almost literally brought the roof down, like it was the only thing they were there to see. . And I could breathe again.
“That’s how a kiss is done!” the MC boomed. He patted me on the shoulder and I slowly went to my seat.
What just happened?
Jerry looked at me and gave me a sly wink. The other guys looked at me with a kind of new found respect. Like kissing a girl had somehow elevated me to a higher point in their social ladder. Even the girl who had whispered and called me weirdo was now staring at me seductively. Hell, she was licking her lips. I threw my head away from her lingering gaze and stared at the girl I’d just shared a kiss with. Chiefo, I loved the name. She was back to staring out the window, not paying me or anyone in the party any mind.
The party went downhill from there. There was drinking and drugs. Both of which I took part of. Afterwards, my head felt heavy and I dropped on the bed amidst other pile of bodies.
I woke up and quickly checked the time on my wristwatch. 3:50 am. Wowie! I got up. Perhaps I could offer Chiefo a walk to her hostel. I looked around but she was nowhere to be found. Buzzkill.
I spotted the girl who’d been seated next to Chiefo and gave her a slight tap. She rose abruptly, like a zombie in a horror movie. Her hair was rough and she appeared to be in a state of dishabille. It didn’t help that she stank of alcohol and sweat. She must have kissed a guy because her lipstick had partially been rubbed off and her lips looked swollen. Staring at me somewhat strangely, like I was a creature she’d never quite seen before, she reached to the side of the bed and brought up a little cup still half filled with rum.
“What are you looking at Kingsley?” her face brightened. “Kingsley! You kissed my friend, Chiefo! Woah, that was really unexpected, don’t you think?” she gulped down some more rum from the cup and gasped with pleasure. Lost in a lucid euphoria.
”Hey, want some?” she offered.
“No thanks. Have you seen Chiefo?”
“Why not? Why don’t you want some?” she drawled.
“I need to go and I need to be—you know…sober to do that,” I said.
“R-r-r-right. You definitely need to be—you know…” she sipped on her rum.
“So have you seen her?” I asked.
“Who?”
I was slowly losing it with this girl. If I wasn’t distracted by the nice firm breasts on her that was totally being revealed by her crop top and leaning posture, I probably would have given her some slaps to jar her out of her daze.
“Chiefo? Your friend?” I said.
“Oh…that. Hey, wanna hook up?” she said and started easing towards me. she reached out in an attempt to draw me towards her on the bed with the pile of bodies. I backed away from her and recoiled like she was the devil.
“No. Man’s not hot,” I said.
“Urgnh. Your loss.” She shrugged. “Chiefo left a while back. She’s probably long gone by now.”
I realized I must have hurt her pride, but talk about wasted time. I turned to leave. I looked instinctively for Jerry but he was half buried under the throng of bodies that were piled up on the bed. I decided to leave him there.
As I was halfway out the door, I heard the girl say, “I could have kissed a lot better than Chiefo, you know?”
Something must have changed about me. How on earth do you refuse an offer like that? But I had to find Chiefo. Perhaps it was because she was likable, or lovable. Perhaps it was just that darn kiss.
You can click the link to get the full story or follow the thread to the bitter end.

https://okadabooks.com/search?term=If+love+was+enough
Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 8:01am On Oct 19, 2018
Chastity barked, jolting me out of my reverie and into my sad reality. I need to find Chiefo again. As if by some miracle, I heard my phone beep. I unlocked it and scrolled. It was a message from an unknown person.
Hey, it said. It's me Chiefo.
My heart thundered against my chest. How could this be? Has the universe finally smiled on me? I had to give a witty response. I could not afford to scare her off by my social awkwardness.
"Yo, you texting a chic?" Jerry said from his side of the bed. He was grinning from ear to ear.
"Yeah. So?" I said and dared him to make fun of me.
He grinned. "Little boy's all grown up. Who's the lucky she?"
"Chiefo," I said. I almost beat my chest and howl like Tarzan while saying it.
"Wow! I don't believe it! So you really got that girl wrapped around your finger. Good thing you didn't suck at kissing Eh player player." he whistled.
Chastity barked. I shushed the dog, afraid it'd tell Jerry that Chiefo had to steal my number in order to get to me. Ridiculous. Chastity can't talk.
"Errm...yeah," I said and buried my head in my phone. To hell with it. I typed two letters.
Hi.
Bleep, I'm no stalker. I was just curious as to how amazingly well you kissed. I had to know who you are.
Whoa, I beamed and typed, Kissing is my middle name.
Bleep, ( really?
Yeah. I grew some balls. What are you up to?
Bleep, I had to travel home
Wow! Why? It's the middle of a school year.
Bleep, I know. My home really isn't far. Like 50 naira bus fare.
Wow! *.*
Bleep, Harr! I know right? My parents are always in my face. They always send my elder brother to check up on me.
That's kinda strict, don't you think?
Bleep, that's an understatement of the century, but yeah. They'd cook me up and eat me if they notice I have a boyfriend.
Have you, you know... Had one before?
Bleep, sure. But I always keep it on a low. I wouldn't dare let them get wind of it.
I'm Muslim. My parents are kinda strict too.
Bleep, oh... I'm Christian. Lol. You're already on my parent's black book.
Why?
Bleep, they don't like me associating with people who's not of the same "faith."
Oh...
Silence. What to say? I had to keep the conversation going. Jerry was looking at me and making passionate love to his pillow. I blushed.
Bleep, have you ever seen a rainbow in the desert?
No. That's practically impossible.
Bleep, I sometimes see the impossible. My parents think I'm schizo.
Schizophrenic? Why would they think that?
Bleep, I'll show you.
She sent a picture file. I clicked on it.
It showed her room, which was a typical girl’s room except that the walls were painted black and the floor had white marble tiles. It was the walls that really caught my attention. On it were several of the most bizarre paintings I’ve ever seen.
One was a volcano that erupted snow in the middle of what appeared to be Zuma rock in Abuja. Another was a roman officer complete with a toga, racing his wheeled chariots frantically through a tropical rain forest and chased by a herd of baboons. One which caught my eye the most was a painting of the Sahara with gigantic sand dunes and swirling desert winds, menacing and a contrast with the brilliant rainbow that cut a clear path in the sky. It was beautiful.
You are one loopy bird, Chiefo. But I once heard a saying that once you’re crazy, bonkers, a complete nut case, just know that only the best people have that quality.
Bleep, I think you’d make an amazing writer.
I think I need to see you tonight. I hit send.
Bleep, really? My brother is really big and strong. He could pulverize you. Plus he knows Muay thai.
Don’t you believe in the powers of imagination? I could simply imagine him out of existence and he’d disappear.
Bleep, I’d like to see you try(. When do you want to meet?
It’s a surprise. I’ll pick you up in a bike.
Bleep, are you sure? Bikes are dangerous. I’d rather just take a taxi.
Taxis are for wussies.
Bleep, foreign words. I love that. I’ll try it this one time.
Are you busy now?
Bleep, no, I’m free, Kingsley.
Get ready for the most dangerous ride of your life.
Bleep, I’ll be waiting.
I got out of bed and bumped a fist with Jerry. Then I grabbed a shirt and wore it to accompany my jeans.
“Hey, give the girl a good time, alright?” Jerry said.
I paused at the entrance.
“Her name’s Chiefo.”
I rushed out of the house and hailed a bike to a stop. The weather was getting cloudy and the wind whipped against my face in a frenzy. It was going to be a storm alright.
“Sabo Street,” I said to the biker man.
“Eh,” he said by means of acquiescence. He stepped on the foot lever, kick starting the transmission and causing the bike to rumble to life.
“30 naira,” I said.
He hissed. ”Egbon, na 100 naira be from here to Sabo.” He said in pidgin.
“Oya. I’ll give you 70.”
“No. Shey you no see the rain?” he pressed his hands on the throttle and was about to drive off but I stopped him and got on the bike. There’s no argument when you’re a victim of circumstance.
Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 8:19am On Oct 19, 2018
The wind was even worse on the bike. The rain drizzled and slammed into me like little bullets. It was a relief when I finally got off the bike. I met Chiefo standing beneath the shade of an empty shop. The rain had begun to intensify. I quickly rushed towards her and took shade in the shop. The biker man sped off and was swallowed up in the storm.
“Hey,” I said.
She smiled up at me. “I think God hates me.”
I laughed and moved close to her. “Why would you say that?”
“Because you wanna take me out and he’s messing everything up.”
I looked deep into her eyes. Her hair was half covering her eyes and was matted against her face.
“Let’s not cast blame on anyone alright? Every challenge gives rise to an opportunity, a wise man once said.”
She shivered. “I’m guessing the wise man is you.”
“The wise man is me.” I held her hands. It felt cold. Her clothes were soaked and clung to her body. But I was crazy. I just had to do it.
“Come on.”
We ran into the rain. The thunder rumbled, taunting us to be afraid of it. But we ran into the street and kept on running.
“Where are you taking me?” she said.
“Shhhh… you’ll love it there.” I sprinted even faster, holding her hands so she could keep up.
“But it’s raining,” she complained.
As if in agreement to that, forks of lightening flashed across the sky, illuminating the darkened heavens in angry sparks.
“Oh my God!” Chiefo screamed.
I knew what was to come and used my hands to shield her ears. And then it came. Like a blast from a shot gun and the roar of a lion all rolled into one, its mighty roar silenced our breathing for a few seconds. We were afraid that if we so much as breathed, it would strike us dead.
And then it was over.
I removed my hands from Chiefo’s ears.
“Wow. How was it? I could barely hear it. Thanks.” She said.
“It was a breeze. Are you scared of thunder?”
“Yeah. Who isn’t?”
The universe must have been happy with us because we found a biker man in the storm. We got on the bike and zoomed off. Chiefo sat in front of me and leaned against my chest.
I whispered into her ear. “Hey, wanna do something stupid?”
She giggled. “Running in the rain is probably the most stupid thing I’ve done today.”
I held her waist. “Lean to the side and I’ll hang you over like a flag.”
“Are you serious? No way,” she shook her head. The rain hammered into us in such torrents that even our screams sounded like whispers.
“I’m going to do it.”
I leaned to the side and held out my hands like I was flying. I just let the rain rush into my face like hails of bullets. I opened my eyes and looked at Chiefo. She was smiling.
The rain had subsided by the time we had got to our destination. It was a road that led to nowhere. A mud trail filled with overgrown bushes. The sky had begun to clear and a cool wind blew against our faces, congratulating us for surviving the storm.
I took her hands. “We’re getting close.”
We trudged through the muddy paths and skipped over little rivulets of water. I looked to my side and noticed Chiefo staring at me with a puzzled expression.
“You’re not taking me to some ritual killer, are you?” she asked as she struggled to find proper footing on the slippery rock. She stumbled. I held her hands so she didn’t fall.
“Of course not,” I said.
Finally, we got to a clearing. The sun had begun to rise, a glowing medallion amongst a sky the colour of cotton candy. We ambled through the meadow, enjoying its peaceful air and the way it seemed to stretch into eternity. The sun illuminated a grass so green, it seemed almost like one from a fairy land. Leaf blades switching gently. Swaying to and fro like a hypnotic pendulum. It was the perfect dreamscape. Chiefo stared at it in wonder. The landscape terminated into a little cliff that overlooked the entire expanse of land. You could even see the perfect arc of the earth as the rolls of vegetation disappeared into the horizon.
“It’s beautiful,” she said. “Like…like…God it’s indescribable.”
“Like a dream,” I said.
I squatted on the grass and motioned for her to do the same. She squatted in front of me, cross-legged and with her knees grazing mine. I reached into my bag and brought out a flask. Its contents were hot, mouthwatering, and a perfect reminder of home. It hit my nose with the ambrosiac aroma of fried dough infused with spicy meat.
"Pancakes?" I offered.
She grabbed one and took a bite. "Hmmm... Tastes like heaven on a hill."
"Err...it’s a little assemblage I cooked together in my free time."
She looked up from munching on a pancake. "Assemblage? What does that mean?"
I shrugged. "I don't know. I saw it in a movie. It felt right."
"It always feels right with you." she laughed. A funny one. Giggling through her nose, a sound quite similar to the brook flowing merrily through the well-lit forest. I know it's strange and absolutely unusual but her awkward laugh drew me instantly close to her. I feared I was falling in love.
"You know what else feels right?" I said.
"What?" she stared at me with a twinkle in her eyes, partially hidden by her hair. I reached out and brushed the hair aside to reveal more of the brilliant orbs she was hiding. She blushed when I did this.
"Me and you here tonight," I whispered. Our knees were now leaning on each other. Hers on top of mine. I think she didn't even notice.
"Yeah?" she said and wet her lips. That little action caused a stirring in my turgid shaft. I felt I must act. Yes, I must do something about this new found love.
"Yes." I leaned forward and slowly kissed her lips. She didn't resist but she didn't accept me either. I broke the kiss and looked away, embarrassed.
"I'm sorry...I—" I stuttered out an apology. But she placed a finger on my lips.
She grabbed my face and kissed me softly at first, and then with a swift gradation of intensity. I clung to her, totally unaware of where I was and who we were. We were lost to ourselves. Her hot tongue parted my lips, sending wild tremors along my nerves, evoking from me sensations I never knew I was capable of feeling. And as the last drop of rain splattered against our faces and flowed through our bodies, I was kissing her back and we made love there and then on the grass in the dawn.

Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 8:22am On Oct 19, 2018
Today the stars were shining in the sky. There was no moon but I've never seen a brighter night. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I remembered someone telling me that for every twinkle of every star, a prayer is answered. From my vantage point, all the stars were in full twinkle. I do not believe in answered prayers being that most of mine are still unanswered. But I could live with the fact that each tiny twinkle represented a different planet or another earth in another multiverse in another galaxy and out there as I stared, there was someone at that very moment staring back at me and wondering the same thing I'm wondering.
But I cannot wonder anymore. I am in love. I can only wish, but wishes are not horses. I am well aware of that. I called Chiefo and told her I was lying spread eagle on a table tennis table in the middle of the night and gazing up at the stars. I told her that I wondered if she did the same thing. She told me yes. In fact she told me she spends her nights gazing up at the stars and falling asleep there. She's on the balcony of her room and the sky is really easy to spot. I told her that the stars are probably more beautiful in Africa than anywhere else in the world. She scoffed. A barely audible sound. But I heard it and joked at her, telling her how pleasantly awful her laughter was. She laughed even more then became quiet.
"What’s wrong? Are you there?" I said into the phone.
"I'm going to tell my parents about us. I don't think I can hide it any longer."
"Are you sure?"
There was a lengthy silence. "Yes. We're star crossed, you and I."
She didn't need to say she loved me but I knew she did. And I was happiest at the very moment in my life. It’s a good thing to be happy, but I hope not. Good things in my life always ends up getting taken away from me.
Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 8:25am On Oct 19, 2018
The best part about everything is the moment before it starts. The worst part on the other hand is the moment it starts.
Have you ever felt so useless in all your life, you feel that even the birds have a much greater purpose for existence than you. That's how I felt when Chiefo called me to tell me that her brother beat her up and her mother threw her phone against a wall where it got spoilt. That was because she told them about us. About me. I've never felt so useless in all my life. I wished I could do something to ease all the pain I’d inadvertently put her through. I could hear her weeping as she spoke to me over the phone. She tried severally to stifle the sobs but I could still hear them and it just made it worse. I told her that things would be okay and I love her.
"You'll have to tell them," Chiefo said, her voice still wracked in pain.
"Tell them what? I love you?"
"Yes," Chiefo said. "They need to hear you say it. They need to know you mean it, Kingsley."
"Alright. I'll tell them for you. But I'm not happy with what they did to you."
She laughed a bit. "It was partly my fault. I could have just told them the truth. My mum knew I was seeing someone but she thought you were Igbo and you know..."
"Christian?" I said. I was wrapping my little head around the sad reality.
"Christian." She repeated. And I indeed felt sorry for her. My parents wouldn't care if I dated Nicki Minaj or Lady Gaga. We have that freedom in my house. Chiefo on the other hand had a whole battle to fight and she was doing it on her own. There was nothing much I could do to her to help ease the hurt and pain.
"Hey, it's gonna be okay. One day it will. You have my word." I knew I shouldn't have said that, but Chiefo needed to hear it. She had to believe in the possibilities of miracles even though I did not believe in them.
There was silence on the phone and I could hear that she'd stopped crying.
"Hey," I said. My voice was calm.
"Hey," She said. I pictured her seated cross-legged in front of me, her knees were on mine and we shared the same blanket. I reached out and stroked her cheeks and she blushed, her cheeks Now a scarlet red. I loved Chiefo. I loved her a lot. And I told her. She laughed and shyly said the word I've always hoped she'd say, "I love you too."
"Where would you love to be in the world?"
"I've always dreamt of living in the Maldives. The sun, the sea, and the people. It is paradise and I'd be free."
"Really?" I said into the phone. "Nice dream."
"Yeah, perhaps we could dream it together."
God, she was beautiful, with Gothic fringe, pale face and rosy cheeks. She stared back at me in my mind’s eye, an epitome of perfection. I knew we were thinking the same thing.
"I love you, Chiefo. I love you to a million multiverse and back," I said.
"Yes," she said. "Ditto."
I kissed her deeply and used my hands to caress her face, her neck, her hands, her back, until we were groping and touching each other. And for the briefest moment, nothing else mattered. Not the pain or the sadness, or the dismal looking future of our love affair. In that moment when I stared deeply into her crystal eyes and my lips and hers were locked together, I knew then that we could live forever. We were infinite.
"I love you too," she said into the phone and I smiled. I knew we really must have been thinking the same thing.
Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2018
I was wrong. VERY WRONG.
I had been trying to reach her cell phone for days but she didn’t pick up.it got to a point that I felt I was slowly reaching a point of madness. I felt bad for Jerry having to bear the weight of living with someone like me.
“Hey bro, chin up,” Jerry said when he got in and caught me staring out the window into space. He walked up to me and squeezed my shoulder. For a while he stared into space alongside me but then his face contorted in a frown once he realized the futility of the exercise.
“Alright, talk to me. Come on.” He pushed and prodded me till I sat on the bed across from him.
“I don’t know what’s wrong. We were really—you know…close. All of a sudden, she stopped replying my chat and my calls just goes unanswered.”
Jerry shook his head and muttered, “Girls.”
I could not contain my anxiety any longer. I stood up and began pacing the length of the room.
“I mean, why would she do this to me? Why?”
“Perhaps, the person you need to ask is her,” Jerry said.
I froze. “You’re right.”
I rushed out of the room, not even caring to have my bathe. I must have looked quite mad. The ride to her house seemed like it’d lasted for ages.
When I got to her house, I bolted towards the door and banged against it. A moment later, a wiry thin woman with tears in her eyes opened the door.
"Please is Chiefo here?" I asked.
Her shoulder trembled and she covered her face. "You must be Kingsley." she croaked.
"Where's Chiefo?" I asked again.
"She doesn't want to see anyone...especially you. She's in the hospital."
The words hit me like a truck. I could barely make out the words, accident, coma, cannot walk again.
I stumbled out of the house and ran into the street screaming like a mad man.
Chiefo woke up from the coma. Her first words were Kingsley. But I wasn't there. She still didn't want to see me.
I couldn't take it anymore. I sat in front of her house bottling up the courage to face her front door. Then I knocked. Something within me screamed that I should run away. And I almost did. Then I heard the sound of wheels slowly being dragged towards the door.
The door opened.
She sat on a wheel chair. Her hair in shambles, her skin as pail as always, and her eyes were red from crying. But even in her sadness she was beautiful.
"Hey," I said.
"Hi," She whispered.
I don't know why I did it, but I reached out to wipe the tears off her cheeks. She took my hands and held it.
"Don't...please," she said.
I crouched and placed my hands on her legs.
"I missed you. All the time I couldn't stop the memories. Why did you push me away?"
She pushed my arm off her legs and rolled her chair away from me.
"You can't do this to me. You can't...this can't work anymore." tears raced down her cheeks. She pushed herself out of the wheel chair and fell to the floor in a disheveled heap. "This is who I am now."
"I rushed up to her and tried helping her up but she struggled against me, her body wracked with an onslaught of sobs and tears. But I held on to her. I dared not let her go. She'd drift away.
"Stop fighting me," I whispered into her ear.
She pushed me.
"I hate you!" Chiefo screeched.
She reached out with her clawed fingers and scratched my face. Searing pain erupted from the point of impact all the way to my brain. And I felt something ooze out and mix with the tears cascading down my cheeks. Blood.
"I love you," I said, amidst the hammering of fists. I took some hard punches to the head, but I held her tight and crushed her in a hug. "I love you."
She tired from hitting me and we remained there frozen, the both of us burned and broken soul. But that was enough. Love should always be enough.
Finally, she whispered into my ear, "I love you too."
"I love you," I said.
Re: If Love Was Enough by fattprince(m): 10:33am On Oct 19, 2018
pls don't tell me that the end. I wonder y am not seeing comments here. I love this story . you the best

1 Like

Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 10:48am On Oct 19, 2018
Thanks matey, I never thought it'd get read. I have a horror I'll be posting soon.
Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2018
fattprince:
pls don't tell me that the end. I wonder y am not seeing comments here. I love this story . you the best

Gratias mate
Re: If Love Was Enough by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 19, 2018
Nice one dear
Following
Re: If Love Was Enough by tobstarizhia(m): 11:15am On Oct 19, 2018
LightQueen:
Nice one dear

Following

Thanks for reading. unfortunately that's where the story ends. but I'll be posting a short horror story later today.
Re: If Love Was Enough by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 19, 2018
tobstarizhia:

Thanks for reading. unfortunately that's where the story ends. but I'll be posting a short horror story later today.
Alright. Please do give me a mention

1 Like

Re: If Love Was Enough by fattprince(m): 8:27pm On Oct 23, 2018
LightQueen:
Alright. Please do give me a mention
pls always mention me ooo
Re: If Love Was Enough by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 25, 2018
fattprince:
pls always mention me ooo
Fattprince shocked
Re: If Love Was Enough by fattprince(m): 6:46pm On Oct 25, 2018
LightQueen:
Fattprince shocked
yes beauty queen anything the matter
Re: If Love Was Enough by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2018
fattprince:
yes beauty queen anything the matter
Nothing dear wink

(1) (Reply)

2020 UTME SABOTAGERS, STRICTLY FOR MEDICAL ASPIRANTS ONLY / The First Female President Of Nigeria / Grab This Prolific Writer Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.