Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,631 members, 7,827,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Buhari Government Abandon Nigeria Pressid First Class Scholars Abroad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Buhari Government Abandon Nigeria Pressid First Class Scholars Abroad (396 Views)

Should I Abandon My Masters In Nigeria And Start Afresh Abroad? / Zamfara Students In Cyprus Cry Out After Government Abandon Them / Buhari Government Worst In Education Funding – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Government Abandon Nigeria Pressid First Class Scholars Abroad by on4a: 5:54am On Oct 19, 2018
The failure of the Federal Government to pay tuition and allowances of Nigerian students on its overseas scholarships has forced the academically-gifted beneficiaries into the worst phase of their lives, writes TOLUWANI ENIOLA

Ugwu Chinedu grew up reading about Oxford and Cambridge universities in textbooks. Though he aspired to study in either of the two world-class varsities, he didn’t imagine it would be possible.

But fate smiled on him in 2012. It was the year the Goodluck Jonathan-led administration launched the Presidential Scholarship for Innovation and Development to sponsor students, who earned first-class grades in their undergraduate studies in Nigerian universities, to pursue master’s degrees and PhD in any top 25 universities in the world.

When Chinedu saw the call for application for the PRESSID scheme, he did not waste time to apply. Two years before the inauguration of the scholarship, he graduated with a first-class in veterinary medicine from the University of Ibadan.

He said, “I got the PRESSID scholarship in 2012 after my application and successful participation in an aptitude test in Abuja. I remember vividly the then Executive Secretary of the National University Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie, told us at the inauguration to drop every other scholarship we had or aspire to have because we had been chosen to lead innovation in Nigeria. I was elated and privileged.

“I started the master’s programme in Integrated Immunology at the University of Oxford in 2013. My tuition, living expenses and flight tickets were borne by the Federal Government. I completed MSc in September 2014 and a month after, I resumed for PhD in Veterinary Science at the University of Cambridge. I am currently in final year and should complete the programme by September 2018.”

Chinedu’s story is different now because rather than be happy that he is near completion of his PhD programme, he is uncertain of his fate.

https://punchng.com/from-best-brain-scholarship-beneficiaries-to-traumatised-students-nigerias-first-class-graduates-recall-tale-of-woe/

Re: Buhari Government Abandon Nigeria Pressid First Class Scholars Abroad by Shookonekilla: 5:58am On Oct 19, 2018
Hahahahahahaahaa hahahahahahaahaa hahahahahahaahaa hahahahahahaahaa

Buhari , illiterate, incompetent, useless cow whisperer

Wow

What a stupid.president we have ... He has made it so easy for any opposition to defeat him..

Infact Atiku has Hashim as more of a threat than buhari

Re: Buhari Government Abandon Nigeria Pressid First Class Scholars Abroad by cooldipo(m): 5:58am On Oct 19, 2018
It's another one cry
Re: Buhari Government Abandon Nigeria Pressid First Class Scholars Abroad by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 19, 2018
Keyamo hope you know about this

The list of abandoned and aborted projects is longer than River Nile.

(1) (Reply)

UNIPORT STUDENTS: WAUG 2019 Correspondents Needed / "Dont Make The ASUU Strike A Sit Home Strike" - ERC Task Nigerian Students. / E

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.