Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Dating/marrying A Hiv Person - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dating/marrying A Hiv Person (11498 Views)

Is It Possible For A Hiv Positive Man Not To Pass It To His Wife? / If You See These 13 Symptoms, Do A HIV Test Immediately. / If You See These 13 Symptoms- Do A HIV Test Immediately (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by tega78(f): 1:09pm On Apr 08, 2007
Would any of you date or marry a person you knew was HIV positive.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 11:28am On Jul 05, 2007
There shld always be a motive for a date/marriage.What is ur motive dating someone with HIV?AIDS?.Y take such life threatening risk!
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 05, 2007
You could if you take precautionary measures.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by hannydarl(f): 1:23pm On Jul 05, 2007
Its not advisable to marry a person with HIV or AIDS except it was passed to them from you if not I think its stupidity to involve ones self in such a relationship.I mean whats the point in taking such a risk?
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by engee2(f): 2:46pm On Jul 05, 2007
[color=#006600][/color]i think u can marry/date some1 with it, if de both of u are of de same statue. u dnt go ending ur life becos of love, wat if a miracle happens and de only is ok wat would be of u.

again wat if u dnt know cos manyof us have it but we dnt know wat happen if a baby comeand u need 2 married de people with checkin it out,

so u c u can marry 1 with it.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by engee2(f): 2:49pm On Jul 05, 2007
[color=#006600][/color]i think u can marry/date some1 with it, if de both of u are of de same statue. u dnt go ending ur life becos of love, wat if a miracle happens and de only is ok wat would be of u.

again wat if u dnt know cos manyof us have it but we dnt know wat happen if a baby comeand u need 2 married de people with checkin it out,

so u c u can marry 1 with it.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 06, 2007
It is possible to date a person living with HIV and AIDS without getting infected. There are a lot of precautionary measures you can take if you are married to or dating an infected person.
That is why it is important to go for voluntary councelling and testing so that you can have information on Pregnancy and prevention of mother to child tranmission.
If a couple are married and one is positive while the other is not, they could have protected sexual intercourse and if they plan to have a baby, they could consult their Doctor who would test the put the partner on some drugs that will lower the load of the virus and at that point they be able to make a baby without the other partner getting infected and the baby will be prevented from getting infected. We call it prevention of Parent to Child infection, I guess we have to work harder in informing and enlighteening people on issues of HIV and AIDS and sexuality.
Seriously i will talk to my Bosses so we could start an online helpline for questions like this.

1 Like

Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2007
Thanks Aisha.Ur postings are very educative but in practice,premarital HIV testing is advisable and even the churches will advise against marriage if a partner is positive. undecided undecided undecided!Will lowering the viral load prevent sexual transmission?Lowering the probability is not the same as prevention.We preach prevention,period! cool cool
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by hannydarl(f): 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2007
There is no such thing as lowering viral load to enable the healthy partner have unprotected sex without catching the virus. once a person has HIV it is risky to have unprotected sex witjh him or her wether viral load is high or low the only difference is that with high viral load in the system its much easier to catch it but with low viral load its a bit lower chances of a healthy person catching it the viral level does not stop one from catching HIV from an infected sexual partner so I dont buy Aisha's theory at all the only right thing she said is the prevention of transfer of the HIV virus from mother to child and even that is not 100% effective as the baby might contact HIV during child birth and the mother should also avoid breast feeding as the virus can also be transfered through breast milk.
Also, Its a different thing to be married before finding out one's partner is infected in which case the healthy patner may still want to remain in the marriage but why risk ones life if one finds out before marriage that the intended partner is HIV positive.
I know verry well that practicising safe sex reduces HIV infection thats why they encourage people who are sexsually active to use the condom but what joy is there when a husband has to make love with his wife always with a condom on and also considering the fact that condom is not 100% safe? Come on lets face the fact it is totaly foolish for a healthy person who enjoys living to marry a person who is HIV positive.
Those wanting to marry HIV positive persons are
1) HIV positive themselves
2) Are tired of life
3) Are love blind( They may wake up to reality when they catch it from the infected partner and start wondering if the sacrifice was worth it in the first place)
4)Marry out of pity for the infected partner
5) Are ignorant about HIV and AIDS.
I am not saying that HIV+ people should not marry I am just considering the facts from the angle of a HIV- person marrying an HIV+ person as long as the healthy person knows the risks involved I dont see anything wrong in it but I dont buy the Idea of some ignorant people saying there is no risk involved and so its okay and safe for a healthy person to marry and relate sexually with an infected partner.No mater how sophisticated the treatment is there are stil risks involved.Poison is poison and there is no use telling one that poison does not kill and its ok to eat it. Better for anyone handling it to know the dangers involved so they can take precautioneven if they decide to go ahead with handling it.

1 Like

Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 06, 2007
Its not a theory, it is being practiced.
You can actually be married to a person living positive without getting infected . If you are on Anti retroviral drugs, it get to a point when the HIV virus will not be seen in your blood. At this time when tested you will be found negative, this is usually the period Couples have unprotected sex if they want to have children.
I am not advicing people to marry HIV infected people, I do not advice people, i just give information so that they can have the right information to make their choices. Some of the comments made were a bit incomplete information thus the need to let people know the facts about HIV.
Some couples could decide to go ahead and get married despite the positive status of one of the partners. I have seen a lot of them, infact my first contact with a HIV positive person was at a wedding i attended. The bride was positive while the groom was negative, He decided to go ahead with the wedding and today, 8 years later, they are blessed with two negative children and the husband still remains negative
Please note that even though sexual transmission accounts for 75% of transmission, HIV is not transmitted through sexual intercourse alone.
I realized that We really need to do more about enlightening people about HIV and AIDS
HIV is transmitted from mother to child through the following ways
:1: during pregnancy
2During Child birth
: during breast feedin

During Pregnancy a woman is put on drugs which filters any blood connection between mother and child, and during child birth positive mothers are advised to have Casein section, and the child is given ART immediately after birth. All these work to wards producing a negative baby.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by doctorb1(f): 12:10am On Jul 07, 2007
@Aisha ART(Anti Retroviral Theraphy) only lowers the viral load, it never gets to a point where the virus is not present in the blood, as far as I know very sensitive methods like PCR(polymerase chain reaction) can always pick it up; meaning it's present and can always potentially infect.
personally i would not marry/date an HIV + person coz true true prevention is beta dan cure.
truth hurts cry
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 12:29pm On Jul 07, 2007
Aisha!am at loggerheads with you on this threadooh!What is the source of your information.You are reasoning concretely on this matter.There is to practicable nor medical reason to encourage a negative to marry a positive person.
doctor b:

@Aisha ART(Anti Retroviral Theraphy) only lowers the viral load, it never gets to a point where the virus is not present in the blood, as far as I know very sensitive methods like PCR(polymerase chain reaction) can always pick it up; meaning it's present and can always potentially infect.
personally i would not marry/date an HIV + person because true true prevention is beta dan cure.
truth hurts cry
cool cool.Truth hurts occassionally my brother.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 8:04pm On Jul 07, 2007
@karl ken
You are definitely going to the wrong church preaching to people about not marrying an HIV person. God's real preacher will teach you to open your arms to your fellow men/women no matter what the situation is. Yes you can live and love an HIV person even though you're negative. If you are well educated about it you'll know the do's and don't about handling yourself. There are so many successful stories about an HIV positive and negative couple making a go of their relationship. There are lot of people out there who are HIV positive, you won't know unless they tell you. But who is willing to say they are HIV positive, a lot of people are too scared to find out if they are a carrier or not.

1 Like

Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 11:42pm On Jul 07, 2007
@N-joy.Can u marry an HIV positive person?Give me a monosyllabic answer;yes or no! wink wink
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by MP007(m): 7:29am On Jul 08, 2007
casual dating , yes, marry? thats complicated
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 8:06am On Jul 08, 2007
@karl ken
You bet I would date/marry an HIV person. just you remember your brother/sister could be HIV tomorrow, and its a person like you that shuns them. They are not outcast, so please don't treat them as one.
Have you had an HIV test? if not say no more till you have.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 9:45am On Jul 08, 2007
@N-joy.If ur actually HIV -ve and u want marry a +ve person,goodluck to u.Remember we are encouraged not to mary out of sentiments.Its often better to show empathy not sympathy.It is not good to discriminate against PLWHA but thats in terms of Jobs,social activities,sports etc .That doesn,t mean u should accept blood when needed from an +ve person for instance talkless marrying one.Supporting them in other ways is better!Remember u have to be alive to even render that support.Think again,this time keep emotions apart. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 5:15am On Jul 09, 2007
@Karl ken
You sound like an educated fool, haven't you heard with the treatment they receive now, an HIV person can live as long as you. Pleez go do your HIV research on the net, when you do come back and say something worth saying on the thread, we'll probably stop yawning at your ignorance.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 10:02am On Jul 09, 2007
N-joy:

@Karl ken
You sound like an educated fool, haven't you heard with the treatment they receive now, an HIV person can live as long as you. Pleez go do your HIV research on the net, when you do come back and say something worth saying on the thread, we'll probably stop yawning at your ignorance.
I am not the one that u contracted HIV from.Frustration and denial phenomena(refusal to accept the truth)are integral parts of HIV/AIDS syndrome.Do not vent ur frustration on me.Take this or leave it ,it is absolutely wrong to encourage an HIV -ve person to marry a +ve person.Much as i empathize with ur situation,am not in any way discriminating here.Just trying to give some advice! cool cool
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2007
@ karl ken
Now you're talking, yeah baby keep it coming that's the kind of attitude i was expecting from an educated fool. Now you've gone as far as telling me am HIV+. You couldn't have known that unless you passed it on to me (oops our little secret is out on nairaland). If its advice you're trying to give keep it wrapped round your dick.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by hannydarl(f): 2:06pm On Jul 09, 2007
All I know is that those who have HIV+ spouses and want to marry them good luck to you I hope you and your HIV partner will live long like metuselah o.BUT REALY i see nothing wrong if a healthy persdon intends to marry a leper,or HIV+ person the only area I am worried about is the preaching that HIV is not transfered through unprotected sex if the infected person is recieving treatment as N-joy believes that her positive boyfriend cant pass the virus cos he is taking the anti retroviral drugs that is fa fa fa fa foul. Those friends married for 8 years and the husband is still negative ask the guy very well if he does it with his wife without protection. The fact that she got pregnant doesnt mean he penetrated her to make. one can get pregnant only when sperm is introduced into the va gina and it fertelizes an egg and couples can introduce the sperm artificialy even the finger deeped into semen and introduced into the vagina can lead to pregnancy.
I know its hard to be HIV+ but the truth is if I was HIV + I wont expect my fiance to go ahead with the marriage plans he has a right to choose to live and insisting that he sticks with me will be the most selfish thing to do.Those who are HIV positive deserve to be treated like humans but they have a duty to help prevent spreading the virus and so should understand if people out of concern dont want to marry them.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 6:47pm On Jul 09, 2007
@ Hannydarl
Abeg make you no come start fire for here o, have you read my posts at no point did I say my boyfriend is HIV+ and is receiving treatment. I said there are treatment available to prolong their lives. Am on this thread defending HIV+ people. They don't speak for themselves because of the way people react to them.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 6:53pm On Jul 09, 2007
Thanks hannydarl.Imagine this daft(N-joy) calling her father an educated fool simply 'cos I opined that it is wrong to encourage an HIV-ve person to marry a +ve.N-joy,thank ur stars 4 internet.If u were near me ,u would have been in the cheapest morgue! angry angry angry.Dudes,lets always watch our language.Use of foul language on anoda simply 'cos he doesn,t share same opinion with u is poor sad sad
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 7:09pm On Jul 09, 2007
hannydarl,word!! U are a real woman.N-joy is HIV +ve.Its not her fault.It could have been anyone.She needs psychological support and proper education.@ N-joy,its criminal 4 u to keep spreading this virus.separate love from reality pls!See ur Dr for ARVs and advice.Marry a +ve person if u must!I am not an educated fool.I know about HIV more than ur whole family! angry angry
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 8:12pm On Jul 09, 2007
@karl ken
Glad to see you are bringing yourself down to the gutter where you belong. Am not goin to bring myself down to your level by involving your father. Its between you and I OK. you gave me the HIV+ NOW YOU ARE IN DENIAL. YOU ARE SO ASHAMED FOR ME TO LET EVERYONE ELSE HERE KNOW ABOUT IT. Take heart all will be well,look on the bright side your family still loves you. Oooooh running to hannydarl for support. Does she knows you are a carrier? Thank God for nairaland now everyone knows about you and i. Keep talkingĀ  dirrrrty Baby , you know that turns me on. Take my advice and leave this thread with dignity. I know I am. So pleez get a life else where or better still go play with yourself to stop you spreading it all over the place.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Esss(m): 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2007
Wat the fuc.k?? Marry what?? I know I'm carzy but I'm not insane?? There are better and easier ways to kill myself.

First of all, I cant, I wont and will never marry a HIV positive person. Hellz naaaayyyyy.

I dont give a damn what modern medicine says about it. Either they find a cure or nothing. The risk is not worth it (even for a suicidal individual). I could offer a helping hand to an infected person, do all the things possible within the safety limit, but thats were it ends. H.I.V is a killer.

The fear of H.I.V/A.I.D.S is the beginning of wisdom. WORD UP!!
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by queenb2(f): 6:17am On Jul 10, 2007
Am going with N-joy on this, please make una leave this thread with dignity.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 9:32am On Jul 10, 2007
It is entirely wrong to curse an elderly person much more a man 1st the reason being that he has a different view! N-joy is an illmannered idiot.Until she sheaths her word and apologizes 4 calling me an educated fool,her father and mother will remain in the gutter where they belong and she was delivered.What manner of women do we have this days.@N-joy,U deserve a normal life like Ur HIV +vie cohorts.We will never discriminate.I will give u all the support I can but neither I nor any other sane -vie man will marry u.Sorry 4 that bad news!Look up to God! angry angry
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 7:33am On Jul 11, 2007
@ karl ken
Are you losin sleep over me? I see you are still yappin sweet words about me. You know karl Ken don't get too excited over N-joy, you just might reach an orgasm.
You claim to be an elderly man, but an elderly man should know better than to drag a third party into a row. Like I said this is between you and I, not about your parents or my parents. God bless my parents (and yours) they raised me well, and they taught me to respect my elders. If its true you are an elderly guy you're not just using this to gain my sympathy, I gladly apologize to you. I sure don't want you ending up with a heart attack over N-joy. You are here to n-joy on nairaland. Be happy and don't end up like those grumpy 'ol men, life is too short for that. Have a blessed day.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Esss(m): 7:57am On Jul 11, 2007
N-joy:

@ karl ken
Be happy and don't end up like those grumpy 'ol men, life is too short for that. Have a blessed day.

Who are you calling grumpy?? angry grin
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by Njoy1(f): 9:13am On Jul 11, 2007
Abeg make you no come dip your mouth for matter wey concern karl ken and N-joy. Show don finish.
Re: Dating/marrying A Hiv Person by karlken(m): 10:05am On Jul 11, 2007
someone must have told u to do the right thing and u just did!.I keep my friends close to my heart and my enemies closer.Apology Dully accepted.Sorry too 4 dragging Ur parents in;I Liv them 2! wink wink.I was only shocked shocked shocked !Now we broke up to make up.Have fun! cheesy cheesy smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goldcross Hospital Ikoyi Is Causing Deaths Of Pregnant Women and babies / Help! I'm Going Bald / Moringer Oleferia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.