Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach (1116 Views)

Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. / Throwback On The Remains Of The Biggest Market In West Africa / 10 Words People Who Lack Confidence Always Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by egoldman(m): 1:42pm On Apr 08, 2007
Business confidence remains high as elections approach
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2007

The general elections, which will hold this month, show Nigeria in new light as an improved investment destination. Business operators across sectors say that they and their businesses are at ease as the elections approach.

[color=#990000]To buttress this, many businesses continue to attract fresh investments, incur capital expenditure and roll out fresh packages.

About a week ago, Telecom of South Africa, a fixed line telecommunications company acquired 75 percent stake in Multilinks, a Nigerian telecom operator for $280-million (about N35.6-billion).

A few weeks earlier, MTN Nigeria, acquired VGC Communications, a local telco for $70 million. Also, MTN is said to be in talks aimed at acquiring some other smaller telcos.

Business Day gathered also that Actis and the AIG Investment Fund, which acquired a majority stake in Starcomms, a Nigerian telco for $43.2-million, would be making further investments in the weeks to come.

Days back, four telcos, MTN Nigeria, Globacom Limited, Celtel Nigeria and Alheri Engineering were granted provisional Third Generation (3G) licences for which they will pay $150-million (N19.05-billion) each.

Industry experts say they will require 10 times this sum each to put infrastructure in place which will enable them roll out 3G services.

Investments in the nation’s telecom sector alone since the liberalisation of the sector six years ago, stand at about $9 billion (N1.14-trillion).

Regarding the elections, some academics are concerned about Nigeria’s history of political instability almost always triggered by electoral disputes.

They contend also that in many nations of the world , especially in developing countries, political transition periods are weak links for stability.

But high-ranking business executives who spoke with Business Day are not overtly worried.

Bayo Ligali, CEO of Celtel Nigeria said: "There is absolutely no problem in terms of elections. God has been with us all this while. He has seen us through previous elections. We believe He will see us through this one."

Maher Qubain, CEO of Starcomms said: "Every part of the world has its complications. Nigeria is not a bad place. It may be a difficult place to do business but it is not a bad place.

"What people should look at is the fact that the country is a fast growing economy, it is densely populated and has a lot of talent.

"Yes, the elections are coming. We are a Nigerian company, we have faith in the system and all our staff are staying here. We are not going anywhere."

A senior official of Globacom said: "Every country of the world has its problems but you still have people living and doing business in these places. Nigeria has its peculiarities but the country is much better than some people think it is.

"Globacom is the biggest Nigerian player in this business. We have conficence in this country. It is going through a developmental process which other countries have gone through and we will get there.

Oladimeji Alo, chairman of council, Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPMN) said: "The transition will go very smoothly and I am convinced there will be no problem. Those who are envisaging problems do not understand that God loves Nigeria".

Sheik Abdallah, Director-General of ASCON said: "The elections will go well; we are ready and competent to do it. I do have a positive mind. I go positive."

Ausbeth Agagu, President, Academy for Entrepreneural Studies (AES) said: "I believe that God is in control. God loves Nigeria. We have had so many worse situations but eventually, God manifested himself and things came under control. I believe that we are heading for a peaceful transition."

Diezani Alison-Madueke, External Affairs Director, Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) said the company had no anxiety over the coming elections and was taking a keen interest in developments, just like other corporates.

At the onset of the liberalisation of the telecom sector in Nigeria in 2001, many foreign companies developed cold feet about coming to set up shop here.

It was said in some circles that Nigeria was politically unstable; that her income per capita was too low to sustain certain categories of business; that crime rate was too high; that corruption in officialdom was too high; that there was a gross inadequacy of infrastructure and that the judicial system was too slow and winding to offer meaningful redress to aggrieved parties.

Those foreign investors who took the bold leap to come into Nigeria are now the envy of rivals around the world, while those who hesitated are biting their fingers and looking to make inroads late in the day. - BusinessDay
[/color]
www.businessdayonline.com/?c=45&a=12433

This is Nigeria grin grin grin
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by niceuzor: 6:59pm On Apr 08, 2007
what's this shocked
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by egoldman(m): 4:28am On Apr 09, 2007
niceuzor:

what's this shocked

its what makes Nigeria unique, what shakes other nations sometimes dont even make Nigeria brink , got my point ? cheesy
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by Chionyins(m): 4:29am On Apr 09, 2007
The confidence is there quite alright
thanks for that egoldman.
I just woke up to investing in nigeria i restricted myself to just investing in land.
But now i am investing even in the HYI and Stocks. The election and the noise will slow people down esp NRN but i personally think its these period one should invest LOOSABLE FUNDS , i believe by  early next year nigeria would be in news and those that took the bold step NOW will reaping!
Right now i am researching and all, but looking to start investing asap starting with the oceanic offer n also looking at deap!!!!!!
Confidence high,
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by egoldman(m): 4:33am On Apr 09, 2007
In any business ventures there are risks and i think the risks that comes with stocks concerning the election would be overcome in no time ,surely some people would sell their stocks believing things might get out of hands in the country ,i consider such time as when to mop up some stocks ,when those that sold it see that war didn't happen and Nigeria is still one then they would come back and buy it from us on higher price grin grin ,you know if this country would survive June 12 , i dont see why it would not survive this election .
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by Chionyins(m): 4:34am On Apr 09, 2007
@egoldmanyah i agree , just a few weeks ago that the stock market crash all over the world niaja no shake sef.
Thats what gave me a second thinking into other investment than land!!!!
And its only naija you would get good asap returns (dont mean HYIS), just look at MTN they have cleaned up sharp sharp!!!!
Nigeria has defied all theories , social,economy,physical sef
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by Chionyins(m): 4:39am On Apr 09, 2007
yes o na why i won buy asap , i dont have huge disposable funds but retuns na returns i have confidence returns would be good medium/long term.
Even i think us/uk wont allow anything happen in niaja they are watching and we are easy to shut down
Na only niger delta, dont think they are armd well enogh to cause any major crisis YET!!!!!!!!!
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by egoldman(m): 4:42am On Apr 09, 2007
the election would come and go and the country would continue on its part to greater heights, we have not reached the promised land yet ,but we are getting there ,maybe slowly but sure we are moving and thats the main thing .God Bless Nigeria .
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by Chionyins(m): 12:34am On Apr 10, 2007
I agree nothing go happen , there will be the usual here n there wahala but it will be settled
NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN SOONER THAN WE THINK,
The G1000 that SEEM TO determines everything IN NIGERIA is already diminishing!!!!!
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by egoldman(m): 10:59pm On Apr 11, 2007
My Brother , what is G1000 ?
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by cheexy: 11:20pm On Apr 11, 2007
Abeg i also want to know o. G1000?
Re: Business Confidence Remains High As Elections Approach by Chionyins(m): 5:47am On Apr 12, 2007
@egoldman / cheexy,
Sorry for that coined word of G1000. I coined it from wahala of june 12 where someone, cant remember now said its only about 1000 people ruling and sharing nigeria oil loot so G1000. They are diminishing by the day as more people are getting empowered with even schemes like HYIPs.I would like to believe from the stories i am hearing that people that are reapig from HYIPs are utilising it well.
No shaking for Nigeria and PRAY GOD the election would even be a stepping stone!

(1) (Reply)

Be Warned! New Sim Card Fraud Alert / Carlos Slim: Second World Richest Man / Have you heard about GoldKOBO Benefits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.