Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,546 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist (18541 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Calls Out The Catholic Church At Her Mother's Funeral Mass / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Melania Trump Racist In Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie "Janelle Asked To The Bedroom" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by chidima2019: 9:47pm On Oct 22, 2018
Acclaimed Nigerian author, Chimamanda Adichie has described United States First Lady, Melania Trump as racist.

Adichie made the statement in a recent interview with international magazine, Esquire UK where she talked about her stance on feminism, Melania Trump’s visit to Africa and racism.

When asked if she thought Melania Trump was racist, she answered in the positive with reference to Melania’s recent visit to Africa.

She said: “Had you asked me this question yesterday, I would have said ‘yes’ and my evidence would be that she supported her husband when he was being incredibly racist to Barack Obama.
“But I just watched an interview that she gave and I was just appalled by it. She sort of stepped out of a colonial 1750 guidebook about how to be in Africa.
“There’s a pith helmet and then I am thinking maybe this is supposed to be ironic? Maybe it is a critique of colonialism.
“She really thought this is what you do when you go to Africa and it says something about someone who is so removed from reality,” Adichie said.
Adichie went on to reference a jacket Melania wore to one of the US children immigration camps which read “I really don’t care: Do you?” and caused a media frenzy.
She said, “And I remember when the media made a lot of noise about that jacket. I remember actually kind of being on her side when all that noise was happening.
“I thought – she doesn’t know, she couldn’t possibly do this knowingly. She did, so the answer to your question is ‘yes’. I think she is racist,” Adichie said.
When asked why she passionately fights for feminism and not racism despite being black, Adichie stated that she always finds the need to make a case for feminism.
She said, “In my own personal space, the people I love, my family and friends all get race. So I have never with them had to make a case for why something was racist.
“So I am with my circle of friends and something happens to do with blackness and immediately, we all get it.
“But with gender, I find that with the people I love, I am constantly being expected to make the case – the ways in which women are reduced.
“And it gets emotionally exhausting because I don’t feel that I have the kind of effortless support that I have when I talk about race,” Adichie said.
Adichie, an award winning writer, has constantly used her voice and books to advocate for equal opportunities for men and women.
Adichie trended in April when she said she was upset that the Twitter bio of former US presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, began with ‘wife’ despite her numerous achievements.
NAN reports that Adichie’s feminism campaign has been a pivotal crux of her writing as her characters centre around powerful women who are usually dwarfed by the patriarchal system in their environments.
Her TedX talk ‘We Should All Be Feminists’ was sampled on American singer Beyonce’s hit song ‘Flawless’ and was also part of Beyonce’s performance routine at 2018 Coachella.
In 2017, Adichie released a small book titled – ‘Dear Ijeawele or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions’.

https://www.akelicious.net/2018/10/chimamanda-adichie-calls-melania-trump.html

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by atiku4President(m): 10:14pm On Oct 22, 2018
Confused lady. Why isn't talking about the misrule and poverty in her home state? Always seeking for attention, even while having the microphone on stage. Africans must first solve their problems before talking about other people's problems.

129 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by KOLLYPROF(m): 6:51am On Oct 23, 2018
Why Melania won't be a racist when her husband was
Don't you know it's the same blood runs through them

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Standardcosting(m): 6:52am On Oct 23, 2018
I love this lady

13 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:52am On Oct 23, 2018
chidima2019:

Adichie trended in April when she said she was upset that the Twitter bio of former US presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, began with ‘wife’ despite her numerous achievements.
https://www.akelicious.net/2018/10/chimamanda-adichie-calls-melania-trump.html

It will be a good thing for most human beings to know when to start minding their business in life!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by DoTheNeedful: 6:52am On Oct 23, 2018
atiku4President:
Confused lady. Why isn't talking about the misrule and poverty in her home state? Always seeking for attention, even while having the microphone on stage. Africans must first solve their problems before talking about other people's problems.

I agree with you. But she is playing the global hypocrisy game very well. I don't blame her. That is how to get the awards.

Tips are:

*Appear very liberal and voice in support of inclusive policies.
* Support feminism and LGBT rights.
* Keep eye on racism and scream loud when something look remotely connected to it.
*Condemn third world leaders.
* Sound politically correct.

There you go undecided

107 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by flyca: 6:52am On Oct 23, 2018
This lady needs to take a chill-pill. O gini di? angry

She only likes being African outside Africa
She likes Africa so much yet she married a white.
Is her daughter bearing an African name?
Is she speaking Igbo?
Does she live in the Africa she “loves” so much?
How many days in a year does she come around sef.

She is gradually and consistently “de-Africanizing” her generation yet she claims she loves Africa so much.

Same way with her “feminism” mantra. She does everything differently from what she's preaching

If they don't like you, or if you don't like them, get your black arz out of there and come back! I don't really like this idea of constantly antagonizing the people you live with.

Modified: All these peeps quoting me about Chimanada's husband being from Edo State - Edo by ancestory, American by nature, abi? Odiegwu! Madam should come and be fighting bad governance, embezzelmemt, corruption here, that's the one that concerns us all.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by hemartins(m): 6:52am On Oct 23, 2018
Her being a racist has no impact on Nigeria Economy

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Proffdada: 6:52am On Oct 23, 2018
Chiamanda running her mouth for relevance

39 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by cooldipo(m): 6:53am On Oct 23, 2018
We are all racist!

I always want the black man to win a boxing match no matter how good the white man is sad

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by sabenabeauty(f): 6:53am On Oct 23, 2018

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by engrglover(m): 6:53am On Oct 23, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 23, 2018
Even as feminist as this woman is, I still love her. I love women who are upright, hardworking and can add value to their husband, even if she want her husband to carry her everyday, she deserves it. FrogvidoDavido mother made the whole family and their generation what they are today, unlike the lazy loose beggar liability generation of slay queens ladies are turning to nowadays. Instead of adding value to someone lives, they see themselves as beggars and liabilities, always looking for ready-made wealthy man. Which laws says women can't help their man to high position? Set of end time slay queens.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Iamgrey5(m): 6:53am On Oct 23, 2018
Taaaaa

No way
angry

The Donald Trump that saved our dilector and personal savior from the hands of the zoo army can't be associated with anyone that is a racist.

Afonja propaganda !

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Doerstech(m): 6:53am On Oct 23, 2018
Osi gini?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Ejiod(m): 6:53am On Oct 23, 2018
Her best book that I enjoyed:
Half of a yellow sun!....
Any Igbo person that hasn't read that book needs to
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by madridsta007(m): 6:54am On Oct 23, 2018
atiku4President:

True. She knows that if she does, Nigerians will unearth that her Buhari-supporting-Piece which she did on New YorK Times and remind her that she’s a Buharist. For an intellectual, that’s one of the worst possible slur you can get.

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by BruncleZuma: 6:54am On Oct 23, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by loadedvibes: 6:54am On Oct 23, 2018
This can only happen in America try this to aisha buhari sorry for you

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by fergie001: 6:54am On Oct 23, 2018
Trump,please send her back here let her come and enjoy what we are enjoying here.......talk talk
She is so vulgar and loose in talking,haba.....Are you the only writer in the whole of the US?If this one wins Nobel Prize,even Pope won't be spared..........so insensitive in talking......
Your country,we have worse than racism here......perhaps you can use your position infuse one or two here,everyday it's something diversionary........ mtcheww

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by sisisioge: 6:54am On Oct 23, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin

Melanie can't be a racist nau...isn't she part of the race people diss too? Biko Chiamanda...be guided grin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by johnjay4u2u(m): 6:54am On Oct 23, 2018
And what has she said about her fatherland?
misplaced attention

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by AdonaiAluminium: 6:55am On Oct 23, 2018
She is a racist and you are a Confused feminist

Contact us for all Your roofing Jobs, water collector systems, insulated roofing sheets and panels, roof maintenance services etc

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 23, 2018
Mouth diarrhoea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Daeylar(f): 6:55am On Oct 23, 2018
Learn how to read. She was asked questions which she answered.

When asked if she thought Melania Trump was racist, she answered in the positive with reference to Melania’s recent visit to Africa.

When asked why she passionately fights for feminism and not racism despite being black, Adichie stated that she always finds the need to make a case for feminism.

[s]
atiku4President:
[/s]

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Wiseandtrue(f): 6:55am On Oct 23, 2018
How will this help send Buhari to Daura to his cows

Even nepotic Buhari is a racist! His discrimination for Nigeria no be for here!

Make we face the one wey dey we country first! Afterall charity begins from home!

talkie talkie
[img]https://media1./images/8e37a33c823145f9cbccc2c92ba820ae/tenor.gif[/img]

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by lilmax(m): 6:56am On Oct 23, 2018
crap
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Tomitohoimo(m): 6:56am On Oct 23, 2018
ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 23, 2018
atiku4President:

That's how you jump into conclusions without reading the post. It was an interview and she answered the questions she was asked.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by TruthHurts100: 6:57am On Oct 23, 2018
I don't like her. No real man or good person does things to reduce women. If you as a woman feels do, then, maybe you're really low mentally.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 23, 2018
dg
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist by WhyMoD: 6:58am On Oct 23, 2018
cooldipo:
We are all racist!

I always want the black man to win a boxing match no matter how good the white man is sad
God bless you brother

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 / in dependence" By Sarah Ladipo Manyika / Ultimate Guide: How To Earn More As A Freelance Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.