Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,696 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Islam And Culture - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And Culture (1287 Views)

Islam And Obedience To Leaders / Baby Naming In Islam And The Modern Society. / Islam And Polio Vaccine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam And Culture by chiefImam2: 8:12am On Jul 17, 2010
As-salaamu alaiykum fellow Muslims. Pls. I will like us to share ideas on what Islam say about culture. When I say culture, I mean your country's culture, your tribes' culture. Also does Islam has its own culture, if yes, what are the cultures of Islam. Thanks. Wa alaiykum Salaam.
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 17, 2010
The do's and dont of the Quran and ways of life of the prophet(PBUH)in the Ahadiths summarises the cultures of ISLAM,wa lekum salam
Re: Islam And Culture by asim11: 6:52pm On Jul 17, 2010
But uplawal, what about our country's culture, and our tribes' culture
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 17, 2010
Islam encourages our culture,but is against any part of them that is against the SHARIA(Allahs laws and the sunnah of the prophet(pbuh),e.g,maidens that wears short wrappers and strapps to cover their image,mostly in the eastern part of Naija.and many more,infact ISLAM is the only religion that promotes family bond,not the western stlye of "me and my husband alone",thereby creating hatred on the west side,which ofcourse was copied by our own indigenous people and strenghtening love amongs the whole of muslims
Re: Islam And Culture by asim11: 5:39pm On Jul 18, 2010
how about prostrating for my parents or my elder ones
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 18, 2010
I don't think Islam is concern about how you greet your family, Else I'll be asking the rhetorical question @which kain religion be this islam sef or are you moslim delude? just wondering!
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 19, 2010
@asim,asalamu alekum,you dnt prostrate to anybody be it your parent except Allah,but some people do it probably cos they are not aware is not acceptable in ISLAM,but a real practicing muslim will never prostrate to no one,you can only greet by bending a bit or handshake for men is prefarerably,like me on my wedding day, i dnt get my knees down to greet or to accept anybodys prayer,everyone was just looking at me as if am arrogant,even they had to like talk about it indirectly when it was advicetime,but i dnt have to owe anybody explanation cos they are not even ready to listen at the end of the day
Re: Islam And Culture by chakula: 10:57am On Jul 19, 2010
uplawal,

May Allah s.w.t bless your Nikah
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 19, 2010
Amin,my brother CHAKULA,Asalamu Alekum
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 1:34am On Jul 20, 2010
Jon.Bee:

I don't think Islam is concern about how you greet your family, Else I'll be asking the rhetorical question @which kain religion be this islam sef or are you moslim delude? just wondering!

@jon.bee
your statement above is rude & should be regretted.

The thing pain him as una no abuse am back. yeye dey smell!!!!
one luv
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Airdig,abio
Re: Islam And Culture by zayhal(f): 8:35pm On Jul 20, 2010
asim 1:

how about prostrating for my parents or my elder ones

There are many ways you can be respectful to your parents and elders without going all the way down. Your respectful attitude towards them, your general countenance, care, humility and all that Islam teaches are enough to give. If you're humble in all ways and carefully explain why you wouldn't go all the way (that prostration is for Allah alone), I bet they'd understand and take you the way you are and even use you as a model for others.

This is what I do and it's working for me, even amongst my in-laws.
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 21, 2010
@sister zayhal,take 5
Re: Islam And Culture by zayhal(f): 12:36pm On Jul 21, 2010
uplawal:

@sister zayhal,take 5

Asalam alaykum sister, how's everything. Hope you're enjoying marital life. smiley
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 21, 2010
wa lekum salam sister,its so sweet, i wish i had married longtime before now
Re: Islam And Culture by zayhal(f): 2:01pm On Jul 21, 2010
Alhamdulilah. May Allah bless the union and give you beautiful children that'll be a pride to you and for Islam.
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 21, 2010
zayhal:

Alhamdulilah. May Allah bless the union and give you beautiful children that'll be a pride to you and for Islam.

long time, hope u re good
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 21, 2010
@zayhal,amin,jazakallah khairan
Re: Islam And Culture by zayhal(f): 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2010
toba:

long time, hope u re good

I'm fine, thanks. And you?
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 22, 2010
zayhal:

I'm fine, thanks. And you?
fine too.
just wondering that u ve not been here in a while
Re: Islam And Culture by zayhal(f): 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2010
I've been on and off. Combining so many things.

thanks again. smiley
Re: Islam And Culture by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 22, 2010
toba stop flirting with us,be a muslim
Re: Islam And Culture by zayhal(f): 8:37am On Jul 23, 2010
uplawal:

toba stop flirting with us,be a muslim

LOL. He too wouldn't want to do that. He knows we aren't available for such.
Re: Islam And Culture by chiefImam2: 7:39pm On Jul 24, 2010
uplawal & friend toba is only greeting you, his not trying do what you think pls.
Re: Islam And Culture by zayhal(f): 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2010
chief Imam:

uplawal & friend toba is only greeting you, his not trying do what you think pls.

we know. we're joking too.
Re: Islam And Culture by chiefImam2: 10:11pm On Apr 25, 2011
What if your Parent say this is how we want you to always greet us, i.e by prosrating to us
Re: Islam And Culture by miftaudeen(m): 11:01am On Apr 30, 2011
@chiefimam,its depend on hw u relate with ur parent.if u are a gud child 2 ur parent dey will not ask such even if
Re: Islam And Culture by miftaudeen(m): 11:33am On Apr 30, 2011
if they ask u,dey will not take it as serious matter and later overlook it.
Re: Islam And Culture by chiefImam2: 5:55pm On May 01, 2011
miftaudeen:

@chiefimam,its depend on hw u relate with your parent.if u are a gud child 2 your parent dey will not ask such even if
miftaudeen:

if they ask u,dey will not take it as serious matter and later overlook it.

My brother in Islam, there are some parent who are so much kin on their 'land culture', they will say i want you to always prostrate for me, either you like it or not, you must do it; sofar they didn't ask you to do SHIRKU BI LLAHI.
Re: Islam And Culture by miftaudeen(m): 8:33pm On May 01, 2011
it is better 4 a person 2 offend a person than to offend ALLAH,cos prostration 4 other than ALLAH is forbade in islam.
Re: Islam And Culture by congoshine(m): 4:14pm On May 04, 2011
Its indeed sad and clearly shows the extent religion can wipe out any otherwise reasonable human being's sense of reasoning.

How can anyone say as a Youruba man (for instance) ,I am not supposed to postrate as my culture expects to my elders ,especially my parents ?? 

We take these things to the extent ,one begins to wonder what is the point of importing foreign culture under the guise of 'divine religion'.

No wonder people can tell you what happened in makkah & Jerusalem in the 7th century ,but have absolutely no idea who Ajayo Crowther is ,talkless of Oba Kosoko , Oduduwa ,Eri(for Ibos),bayyajida(hausas).

Really sad indeed.

Sorry for this country that has nothing of its own except that which was imported .(Food,clothes,music,culture,language etc)
Re: Islam And Culture by miftaudeen(m): 9:25am On May 05, 2011
that is our religion(islam) 4 us,adage of yoruba says "idobale kin se iwa"being prostrate does not make u a gud person.

(1) (Reply)

Major And Minor Hypocrisy / / Islam Is Not A Religion. Freedom Of Religion Doesn’t Apply!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.