Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla (3753 Views)

Have You Experienced This? / Tokumbo 2004 Corolla issues / Which Is A Better Option: 2003 Matrix Vs 2004 Corolla Vs 2004 Camry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by COSIBI: 3:54am On Oct 25, 2018
My car is a 2004 toyota corolla American spec with 164,000 miles. I started having an oil shortage issue and low compression so I bought a complete tokumbo engine (japan) and replaced on the vehicle. Since then I've been having an unsteady idle and loss of power (like an electrical current is short). I scanned and got code: P0032. Trial-and-error auto repairers here have done the following to no avail: Changed air flow meter, Changed air filter, Serviced injector nozzles, Changed fuel pump, Cleaned throttle body, Serviced idle control valve, Checked for vaccum leaks, Removed my cat.converter, Changed a suspected bad coil, Changed upstream 02 sensor twice. Infact I'm tired. I even bought an OBDII scanner myself. (Mods. Help me kick to frontpage abeg)
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by degamonn: 4:34am On Oct 25, 2018
I suggest you try to replace your brain box.

Dont go and buy new one, first of all explain to the dealer what your problem is and let him know that if you replace and it works then you will pay otherewise you put back your own brain box. I dont know your location otherwise I know of a guy in KD who worked on my 2004 corrola in 2016.

You dont buy brain box and fix like any other part of the vehicle. It requires some configuration after replacement and if it is done done by someone who is not good at it the problem will not be solved.

By your explanations you have done and changed all necesaary things that that are related to that problem. The unfortunate thing is that no scanning tells you that your cu (brain box) requires replacement. Rather some of those code like you mentioned will be on display.
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by degamonn: 4:43am On Oct 25, 2018

Dont go and buy new one, first of all explain to the dealer what your problem is and let him know that if you replace and it works then you will pay otherewise you put back your own brain box. I dont know your location otherwise I know of a guy in KD who worked on my 2004 corrola in 2016.

You dont buy brain box and fix like any other part of the vehicle. It requires some configuration after replacement and if it is done done by someone who is not good at it the problem will not be solved.

By your explanations you have done and changed all necesaary things that that are related to that problem. The unfortunate thing is that no scanning tells you that your cu (brain box) requires replacement. Rather some of those codes like you mentioned will be on display.

Another additional thing you may try is replacement of your injector mouth. It is based on my experience with that model of Corrola. Brain box, coil and injector mouth where responsible for the trouble I went through in 2016 as I got to discovered later and till date I have not recovered from that trouble. Though I was able to solve all the associate problem before selling the car. Sold it off and bought "big for nothing" infact the problem made hate any thing corrola.
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by CityNGR: 4:48am On Oct 25, 2018
Proudly team Mercedes. EPC gives you all these....no trial and errors.

3 Likes

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by pafra(m): 5:21am On Oct 25, 2018
Change your brain box. I experienced it when my car was vandalis. We tried several brain box until we got the one that gave the required compression.
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by pafra(m): 5:27am On Oct 25, 2018
degamonn:

By your explanations you have done and changed all necesaary things that that are related to that problem. The unfortunate thing is that no scanning tells you that your cu (brain box) requires replacement. Rather some of those code like you mentioned will be on display.

In my case, I have to convince them that my car was running smoothly until it was vandalis. I insist that we get the correct brain box after testing several brain box we later got the perfect match that gives the required compression
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by mayor2013: 6:10am On Oct 25, 2018
If you are in Lagos. Come in for a free diagnosis
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by COSIBI: 6:22am On Oct 25, 2018
mayor2013:
If you are in Lagos. Come in for a free diagnosis
I'm in Enugu. Thanks for the offer though'
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by thebigkendo(m): 6:52am On Oct 25, 2018
pafra:
Change your brain box. I experienced it when my car was vandalis. We tried several brain box until we got the one that gave the required compression.

pafra:

In my case, I have to convince them that my car was running smoothly until it was vandalis. I insist that we get the correct brain box after testing several brain box we later got the perfect match that gives the required compression

Brainbox dey give compression? Everyday I keep learning on car talk grin

Diportivo come & learn too oh

2 Likes

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by radautoworks: 7:08am On Oct 25, 2018
Pay for diagnosis at the dealer or good modern shop. I think you'll agree it's cheaper than an engine or brain box.

1 Like

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by diportivo: 7:36am On Oct 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

ol' boy

as the op also wants the topic to be moved to fp,the replies are getting massive already

let me carry biro and paper

where r my goons?

1 Like

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by degamonn: 7:54am On Oct 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

I think you were in a hurry and did not really read to comprehend the content of that post. According to the OP " after replacing the the engine,..." read from there. My suggestion is based on my experience anyway. It is better you offer him advice on what to solve the problem.

1 Like

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by thebigkendo(m): 8:24am On Oct 25, 2018
degamonn:

I think you were in a hurry and did not really read to comprehend the content of that post. According to the OP " after replacing the the engine,..." read from there. My suggestion is based on my experience anyway. It is better you offer him advice on what to solve the problem.

Bros I am not doubting your experience.. Just learnt something new from you today ni oh.. Before I use to think only engine has compression ratio but now you have taught me.. Brain box also has compression
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by homeboy205: 8:39am On Oct 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Bros I am not doubting your experience.. Just learnt something new from you today ni oh.. Before I use to think only engine has compression ratio but now you have taught me.. Brain box also has compression

Yes only engine has it but it's brainbox that communicate between engine compression and air and fuel mixture... in OP case his brain box might not be communicating well with the engine
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by thebigkendo(m): 8:55am On Oct 25, 2018
homeboy205:

Yes only engine has it but it's brainbox that communicate between engine compression and air and fuel mixture... in OP case his brain box might not be communicating well with the engine compression

Interesting grin grin grin grin
www.nairaland.com/attachments/8018613_img20180720222843_jpegde3f8342f2a0ede6b5b1b6b925daa4b5

Diportivo are you taking notes?

4 Likes

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by thebigkendo(m): 9:18am On Oct 25, 2018
COSIBI:
My car is a 2004 toyota corolla American spec with 164,000 miles. I started having an oil shortage issue and low compression so I bought a complete tokunbo engine (japan) and replaced on the vehicle. Since then I've been having an unsteady idle and loss of power (like an electrical current is short). I scanned and got code: P0032. Trial-and-error auto repairers here have done the following to no avail: Changed air flow meter, Changed air filter, Serviced injector nozzles, Changed fuel pump, Cleaned throttle body, Serviced idle control valve, Checked for vaccum leaks, Removed my cat.converter, Changed a suspected bad coil, Changed upstream 02 sensor twice. Infact I'm tired. I even bought an OBDII scanner myself. (Mods. Help me kick to frontpage abeg)

What do you mean by low compression in the old engine? Explain the symptoms

Are you sure you bought the correct engine, Your american spec engine should be 1ZZ-FE, Japan has 3 different engines, so which japan engine did you buy? 1NZ-FE, 1ZZ-FE or 2ZZ-GE? or even 3ZZ-FE
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by COSIBI: 9:35am On Oct 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

What do you mean by low compression in the old engine? Explain the symptoms

Are you sure you bought the correct engine, Your american spec engine should be 1ZZ-FE, Japan has 3 different engines, so which japan engine did you buy? 1NZ-FE, 1ZZ-FE or 2ZZ-GE? or even 3ZZ-FE
With the old engine, i was topping oil every week. That's basically why i decided to replace it. I bought 1zz-fe of Japan origin (note: the old one is canada VIN)
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by homeboy205: 9:37am On Oct 25, 2018
COSIBI:

With the old engine, i was topping oil every week. That's basically why i decided to replace it. I bought 1zz-fe of Japan origin (note: the old one is canada VIN)

You should have just rebuild the old engine and continue.. It was The oil ring and compression that worn out on the old engine...

Where is the old engine?

2 Likes

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by thebigkendo(m): 10:38am On Oct 25, 2018
COSIBI:

You mentioned low compression, aside the oil burn, no other symptom??
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by diportivo: 11:43am On Oct 25, 2018
homeboy205:

You should have just rebuild the old engine and continue.. It was The oil ring and compression that worn out on the old engine...

Where is the old engine?

what wears out compression in an engine sir?
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by COSIBI: 11:51am On Oct 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

You mentioned low compression, aside the oil burn, no other symptom??
By low compression, I mean it wasn't really springing out like it used to, especially on a hilly road,, else movement was not as bouncy as i have it now
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by weyreypey: 12:54pm On Oct 25, 2018
was it smoking?
COSIBI:

By low compression, I mean it wasn't really springing out like it used to, especially on a hilly road,, else movement was not as bouncy as i have it now
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by COSIBI: 12:58pm On Oct 25, 2018
weyreypey:
was it smoking?
Yes. Black smoke. Can anyone come up with a solution to the present issue since the old engine is gone already
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by weyreypey: 1:03pm On Oct 25, 2018
black smoke is not oil burn....that definitely was fuel issues...

COSIBI:

Yes. Black smoke. Can anyone come up with a solution to the present issue since the old engine is gone already

1 Like

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by fuckboys: 1:13pm On Oct 25, 2018
COSIBI:

oga go and look for your old engine and work on it. The new engine isnt communicating properly with your ecu. You'll keep throwing parts and probably another ecu on this new engine

4 Likes

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Interesting grin grin grin grin
www.nairaland.com/attachments/8018613_img20180720222843_jpegde3f8342f2a0ede6b5b1b6b925daa4b5

Diportivo are you taking notes?

You play too much. grin grin

You know what he means, though.

COSIBI:
I'm in Enugu. Thanks for the offer though'

OPUSDEI1 is at Nnewi. wink

1 Like

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by osinawanta(m): 1:59pm On Oct 25, 2018
I had a similar issue on my eod 2003 four cylinder I bought a used engine from onitsha mounted it and most times climbing a hill the car will not respond it will be doing like something that is sucking air I have changed virtual all d changeable from what my scanner told me even bought more than 4 different fuel pump still d same though I travel with d car to everywhere but once in d first gear on a hill it just don't move as supposed maybe I should try the brain box since d scanner can't detect it
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by homeboy205: 2:23pm On Oct 25, 2018
osinawanta:
I had a similar issue on my eod 2003 four cylinder I bought a used engine from onitsha mounted it and most times climbing a hill the car will not respond it will be doing like something that is sucking air I have changed virtual all d changeable from what my scanner told me even bought more than 4 different fuel pump still d same though I travel with d car to everywhere but once in d first gear on a hill it just don't move as supposed maybe I should try the brain box since d scanner can't detect it

The scanner dectected it like Toyota now if you have a p0300 which means random misfire or p0301 which means cylinder one is misfire.. let assume you change all the necessary things, bad coil pack in that cylinder one, fuel injector in cylinder one,bad spark plug... and the same cylinder still misfire that means the brainbox is not communicating it's a sign people don't check because they believe brainbox don't need changing

Even any reoccurring sensor failing after changing might be ECU.. Ecu is always written as the last possible cause of any illuminated check engine light

1 Like

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by thebigkendo(m): 5:01pm On Oct 25, 2018
homeboy205:

The scanner dectected it like Toyota now if you have a p0300 which means random misfire or p0301 which means cylinder one is misfire.. let assume you change all the necessary things, bad coil pack in that cylinder one, fuel injector in cylinder one,bad spark plug... and the same cylinder still misfire that means the brainbox is not communicating it's a sign people don't check because they believe brainbox don't need changing
Even any reoccurring sensor failing after changing might be ECU.. Ecu is always written as the last possible cause of any illuminated check engine light

Baba oohhhhh.. Expert Rewire grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

HeavenlyBang:

You play too much. grin grin

You know what he means, though.

OPUSDEI1 is at Nnewi. wink

I am not playing oh.. Baba keeps dropping lessons grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by radautoworks: 6:31pm On Oct 25, 2018
homeboy205:

Where is the old engine?

grin swoon
Re: Have you experienced this about 2004 Corolla by diportivo: 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2018
and the learning continues grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

DIY: Replacing Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 On A V6 1998 Camry / 10 Most Expensive License Plates 2015! / Clean Naija Used Rx 350 2011, Lagos Clear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.