Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,755 members, 7,813,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? (783 Views)

Did Judas Iscariot Betray Jesus Or Help Him Fulfill The Scripture? / Are People Predestined To Heaven /hell? / How Did Satan Convince 1/3 Of The Angels To Betray God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? by Grace001: 2:32pm On Oct 28, 2018
There could be two answers to this...
1. Because it was God’s will.
2. Because it fulfilled prophecy.

God said "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you" Jeremiah 1:5. God determined the course of the universe before creation. He already knew exactly what would happen even before he created Satan. When he threw Satan to earth it was not by mistake. God revealed Christ's suffering to his prophets (See Mat26 vs 24,31; Mark 9 vs12; Luke18 vs31; John 15vs25 and Acts 13Vs 29). Jesus was there when making the plans. He knew exactly each and every moment of his life. Whatever he did, he did it to fulfill his plans. Since he made the plans, therefore, there is no way he was going to break his own Word.

I have been thinking about this lately, if as human we truly have the "FREE WILL/CHOICE" as the bible has pictured it. So many instances in the bible make it seem like everything that has happened and that is happening is predestined/planned by God.

Here are 2 instances from the numerous examples in the bible.

1. The bible said God hardened Pharaoh's heart, God punish Pharaoh and Egypt for what Pharaoh decided when his heart was hardened by God. Exodus 7:3-4
2. Jesus already knew Peter was going to deny him 3 times and he told him, but said to him I have made supplication for you. John 18:13-27, Matthew 26:34

The only ones who can be saved are the ones God has already chosen. Truly, we are given the free choice to receive Christ, those who receive are called the “elect,” Yet that doesn't mean Heaven is certain for them. God chooses whoever He decides to choose for the job that He wants to be done. He can cause things to happen or prevent them from happening to cause His plan to move forward. Let's examine this from the story of Jacob "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

God loved Jacob and chose him to accomplish His will. Jacob made choices that were against God’s law and did things not the way God would have had him do them, like the way he went about receiving the birthright. But because God intended this blessing for Jacob. God used the poor choices of Jacob to accomplish His own will and to carry out His plan.

Christian scholars in the house please contribute to this topic so we can learn.
God bless you all.
Re: Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? by yvelchstores(f): 2:42pm On Oct 28, 2018
He wasn't predestined however someone had to take that role and he was picked by d devil when he lost his way, long before the betrayal.
He was upset about the fact that Jesus called him out for some financial issues before as he was put in charge of that. The bible says before I was afflicted I went astray, that was D case of Judas who was already stealing money even before the whole betrayal incident.
Re: Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? by majamajic(m): 3:01pm On Oct 28, 2018
for me it's unfair for Judas, he was programmed to sell Christ.
Re: Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? by Grace001: 3:07pm On Oct 28, 2018
yvelchstores:
He wasn't predestined however someone had to take that role and he was picked by d devil when he lost his way, long before the betrayal.
He was upset about the fact that Jesus called him out for some financial issues before as he was put in charge of that. The bible says before I was afflicted I went astray, that was D case of Judas who was already stealing money even before the whole betrayal incident.

If it wasn't predestined as you have said... How are we going to explain this bible verses

John 6:64 (But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.)

John 13:18 (I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, ‘He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me)

John 6:70-71 (Jesus answered them, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil)

He has already chosen them and he knew them, even when they had any knowledge of it. So many instances.
Re: Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? by Grace001: 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2018
majamajic:
for me it's unfair for Judas, he was programmed to sell Christ.

I couldn't agree with you more. Look at the case of Jacob, he use a cunning, tricky way to get is brother's birthright.He took advantage of his brother's weak, hasty temper to get his birthright. And one will say this wasn't predestined by God?
Re: Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 28, 2018
I'm not a Bible scholar, however I'd like to contribute to your thread.
No, Judas was not "predestined" to betray Jesus in the sense that Christ was the reason behind Judas' actions.
Now Judas was predestined (in the sense) that he-Judas made the decision to betray Christ.
So of course, history records that grievous act that led to Christ' crucifixion.
That's what Judas will be forever associated with...
It was not God's will for Judas to be eternally lost.
2 Peter 3:8 KJV
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But Judas made that choice...and God already foresaw it.

I think when you look at the word "predestined", in terms of God, it simply means that He already knew and will forever know each and every single person's destiny on this earth.
Omniscient (meaning knowing everything) would apply to God.
Just because He already knows what will be our ultimate destinies, doesn't mean that humans don't have choices.
Judas had a choice on whether he wanted to betray Christ for some coins. Jacob had a choice on whether or not he would deceive his father in order to get the treasured birthright. David chose whether or not to sleep with Bathsheba (knowing she was someone's else wife).
Solomon chose whether or not he would sleep with Delilah and ultimately give his secret away to her.
Choices have consequences...be them positive or negative.
Jacob was then called Israel because he acknowledged his sins and repented. Likewise David, Abraham, Solomon, Samson etc,
Judas did not acknowledge nor did he repent from what he had done. Likewise King Saul and some others.
If God has predestined for some of us to lose our salvation, then He wouldn't tell us repeatedly to "overcome" all throughout Revelation...
Revelation 3:5, 12, 18, 21 (just to name a few scriptures).
That signifies a "choice".
In practical terms, you have had no choice on being born black, a male, and born in Nigeria etc.
But you do have a choice on whether you "stay" in Nigeria or migrate elsewhere.
Whatever impact you make or calling you answer, can be in Nigeria or elsewhere, BUT whatever it is, you have been "pre-destined" in the sense that it will be because of your choice.
Hope I've made some sense.

Special Note:
We must always remember that the Bible interprets itself. I totally understand why some scriptures seem to contradict one another. It sometimes seems as if God is speaking double-mindedly. But I can assure you that He is not. He is a perfect and infallible Creator of this entire universe and has made no mistakes. The problem is that we, finite humans, cannot quite understand it all perfectly.
So regardless of what all of us Christians or non-Christians, believe, the truth will always emerge.
None of us knows it all just yet. We will continually need to pray and study the scriptures. Cause there's so, so much in them.

There can't be all of these multiple interpretations for scripture passages. God never intended to have all of this confusion, chaos and havoc within Christianity...but unfortunately it's here...
Someone's right and someone's wrong.
The only way to do that is to fervently pray for the Holy Spirit to give you the one, "correct" truth.
Re: Was Judas "Predestined" To Betray Christ? by Grace001: 10:23pm On Oct 28, 2018
Mobilia:

I'm not a Bible scholar, however I'd like to contribute to your thread.
No, Judas was not "predestined" to betray Jesus in the sense that Christ was the reason behind Judas' actions.
Now Judas was predestined (in the sense) that he-Judas made the decision to betray Christ.
So of course, history records that grievous act that led to Christ' crucifixion.
That's what Judas will be forever associated with...
It was not God's will for Judas to be eternally lost.
2 Peter 3:8 KJV
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But Judas made that choice...and God already foresaw it.

I think when you look at the word "predestined", in terms of God, it simply means that He already knew and will forever know each and every single person's destiny on this earth.
Omniscient (meaning knowing everything) would apply to God.
Just because He already knows what will be our ultimate destinies, doesn't mean that humans don't have choices.
Judas had a choice on whether he wanted to betray Christ for some coins. Jacob had a choice on whether or not he would deceive his father in order to get the treasured birthright. David chose whether or not to sleep with Bathsheba (knowing she was someone's else wife).
Solomon chose whether or not he would sleep with Delilah and ultimately give his secret away to her.
Choices have consequences...be them positive or negative.
Jacob was then called Israel because he acknowledged his sins and repented. Likewise David, Abraham, Solomon, Samson etc,
Judas did not acknowledge nor did he repent from what he had done. Likewise King Saul and some others.
If God has predestined for some of us to lose our salvation, then He wouldn't tell us repeatedly to "overcome" all throughout Revelation...
Revelation 3:5, 12, 18, 21 (just to name a few scriptures).
That signifies a "choice".
In practical terms, you have had no choice on being born black, a male, and born in Nigeria etc.
But you do have a choice on whether you "stay" in Nigeria or migrate elsewhere.
Whatever impact you make or calling you answer, can be in Nigeria or elsewhere, BUT whatever it is, you have been "pre-destined" in the sense that it will be because of your choice.
Hope I've made some sense.

Special Note:
We must always remember that the Bible interprets itself. I totally understand why some scriptures seem to contradict one another. It sometimes seems as if God is speaking double-mindedly. But I can assure you that He is not. He is a perfect and infallible Creator of this entire universe and has made no mistakes. The problem is that we, finite humans, cannot quite understand it all perfectly.
So regardless of what all of us Christians or non-Christians, believe, the truth will always emerge.
None of us knows it all just yet. We will continually need to pray and study the scriptures. Cause there's so, so much in them.

There can't be all of these multiple interpretations for scripture passages. God never intended to have all of this confusion, chaos and havoc within Christianity...but unfortunately it's here...
Someone's right and someone's wrong.
The only way to do that is to fervently pray for the Holy Spirit to give you the one, "correct" truth.

That’s was quite insightful, thanks and God bless you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Interpretation Of The Dream Of Being Beaten With Cane? / Winners Chapel Gives Church Goers Who Dressed Inappropriately, Maternity Gowns / Missionary Work Of Pastor Leads To Discipleship Of More Than 1000 North Koreans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.