Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea (4299 Views)

Nigeria Vs Korea DPR (4 - 0) U-20 World Cup On June 4th 2015 / Nigeria Vs Korea DPR (6 - 2) FIFA U-20 Women's WC Semi Final On Wed 20th August / Nigeria Vs Korea: U-20 Women's World Cup (2 - 0) On Sunday August 19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by 12large: 4:27pm On Jul 21, 2010
Nigeria axe World Cup players
Posted: 2010-07-21 16:50

Nigeria have axed 13 players from the squad which represented the country at the 2010 World Cup as the country looks to rebuild after a dismal tournament.

Players from the domestic league form the bulk of a 35-man squad named for a friendly against South Korea next month in Seoul.

Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama leads the 10 survivors from the World Cup debacle, which also includes Osaze Odemwingie, Obafemi Martins, Dickson Etuhu and Danny Shittu.

John Mikel Obi, who missed out on South Africa with an injury, is recalled along with strikers Ike Uche and Joseph Akpala

Kano Pillars’ league record-breaking striker Ahmed Musa is top of the pile of 22 domestic-based players invited. He is joined by team mate Solomon Okpako, Enyimba star Gabriel Reuben and Lobi stars' full back Terna Suswan.

The local players are due to report on Friday July 23 in Abuja.

THE FULL SQUAD

Bassey Akpan (Bayelsa FC), Terna Suswam (Lobi Stars), Valentine Nwabili (Enyimba FC), Gabriel Reuben (Enyimba FC), Promise Onuh (Tornadoes FC), Ahmed Musa (Kano Pillars), Solomon Okpako (Kano Pillars), Uche Nwofor (3SC), Gbolahan Salami (Sunshine FC), Taiwo Hassan (3SC), Eugene Salami (Tornadoes FC), Chigozie Agbim (Warri Wolves), Moses Bunde (Lobi Stars), Nnaemeka Anyanwu (Enyimba FC), Emmanuel Anyanwu (Enyimba FC), Chidiebere Okoli (Sharks FC), King Osanga (Heartland FC), John Owoeri (Heartland FC), Femi Balogun (Kaduna United), Ugwu Uwadiegu (Rangers FC), Suleiman Ismaila (Lobi Stars), Fengor Ogude (Warri Wolves).

John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England), Dickson Etuhu (Fulham, England), Kalu Uche (Almeria, Spain), Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv, Russia), Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain), Haruna Lukman (Monaco, France), Ikechukwu Uche (Zaragoza, Spain), Obafemi Martins (Rubin Kazan, Russia), Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands), Daniel Shittu (England), Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel), Elderson Echiejile (Sporting Braga, Portugal), Joseph Akpala (FC Brugge, Belgium).
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by 12large: 4:30pm On Jul 21, 2010
there is no improvement for me on this squad, how can they name a new team without any playmakers, my favorite 2 naija players right now ibrahim and okoro is not called up, the squad is filled with defenders, defensive midfilders and many strikers. i mean what kind of nonsense is this no stanley okoro or rabiu ibrahim in a new team, abeg make thunder strike those useless eguavor or those nff fools
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by 12large: 4:32pm On Jul 21, 2010
abeg local league watchers put your players to watch, mine is
"gbolahan salami" ahmed musa. the musa guy can really go far if he has a good agent
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by 12large: 4:33pm On Jul 21, 2010
nff got it spot on with the players they retained, but no matter what we still need a playmaker or they should have called ibenegbu
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by bawomolo(m): 5:51pm On Jul 21, 2010
danny shittu?
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by phreakabit(m): 6:07pm On Jul 21, 2010
Yes shittu! He is slow (i don't mean mentally) but committed and still a very good player, But LOLS @ Danny Shittu(England) that part was hilarious grin
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 21, 2010
When will we realise that Danny Shittu is the luckiest footballer in the world.

He is not skilled enough to play in either the premier league or in the Nigerian National team.

Stop inviting Danny Shittu please, we have better players than that.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by ow11(m): 6:52pm On Jul 21, 2010
@12large

I know you wish to see another ball playing midfielder in the SE and wish Kwadwo Asamoah or Kevin-Prince Boateng were Nigerians. . . Please can you give me a good reason why Ibrahim who is NOT good enough for Sporting B team is good enough for the SE?

Note: You are NOT allowed to use Danny Shittu's presence as a reason. . . .Shittu has more big game experience and plays as a CB and isn't expected to dictate the flow of the game.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by bawomolo(m): 7:00pm On Jul 21, 2010
how good is the joseph akpala guy. I guess he made the team because of obasi's injury.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by 12large: 7:25pm On Jul 21, 2010
ow11 i don't care if ibrahim plays in lisbon or nor, but for nigeria his better than etuhu, i mean how can they call solomon okpako,gabriel beuben and forget ibrahim
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by ow11(m): 7:46pm On Jul 21, 2010
12large:

ow11 i don't care if ibrahim plays in lisbon or nor, but for nigeria his better than etuhu, i mean how can they call solomon okpako,gabriel beuben and forget ibrahim

I agree with this point. The NFF has the habit of only inviting a certain group of home based players. . .The Beach Eagles have virtually been the same set of people over the past 3 editions and these same mediocre players played against the DRC in Abuja.

That is how they invited Chibuzo Okonkwo despite the fact the guy is NOT 21 and has lost whatever form he had in 2008. Terrible! !

Personally, I wish Ibrahim would step up in Europe BUT I don't think he is brilliant. . .He is just another mediocre player we seem to be producing these days and His presence or absence would NOT make any difference to the squad which is why I don't miss him.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by honeric01(m): 9:45pm On Jul 21, 2010
Rabiu Ibrahim should have stayed at home like some others did, now he's wasting away somewhere in Europe, how do you expect him to be called up by any coach when he hardly plays top-flight football?

The rule of football is that "you must be active playing football" and when one is found not active, then you're regarded as an inactive football and can't claim any right over those playing active football.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by mamagee3(f): 9:45pm On Jul 21, 2010
In the end Nigeria would come out disgracing themselves again as usual.

But, I'm hoping these jokers called Korea would pay for their arrogance this time.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by samdigo(m): 3:30am On Jul 22, 2010
that etuhu dude is garbage, y was he called back, well if siasia is in charge, i trust him to build a preety good team, lets watch and see
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by kenuoyibo(m): 3:53am On Jul 22, 2010
there's no list that will satisfy everyone . let us groom a new team team with a blend of offshore and local ballers for a change
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by Builder: 5:18am On Jul 22, 2010
But why are we playing Korea (whichever one ), havent we played them enough, we gonna turn them to another jamica national team
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by bkbabe90(m): 5:44am On Jul 22, 2010
Damn, this is the dumbest line-up I ever seen! Where the hell is SANNI KEITA? What kinda Managers are in charge of this team? I mean, WHO IS EXPECTED TO KICK THE OPPOSING PLAYAS ON THE SIDELINES WHEN THE BALL IS OUTTA PLAY? Geez!
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by Okijajuju1(m): 6:33am On Jul 22, 2010
NO MENTION OF A COACH SO WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THIS TEAM?!!!
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by lawyer(m): 6:46am On Jul 22, 2010
Etuhu Again? Seriously can anyone tell me what impact that guy has in our national team? He deadens the attack, he slows down the defence and doesnt distrupt midfield play by the opposition team. That guy is a short one anyday any time. undecided
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by phreakabit(m): 6:52am On Jul 22, 2010
Honestly i cant still understand how Etuhu always makes it into the team,he is outright Gargbage and belongs in the junkyard not on the pitch of play to me this is still a fairly good list only noticable omission being

T.Taiwo
V.Aniechebe
R.Ibrahim
C.Obasi
And of course Sanni Kaita, Yes! Sanni Kaita,although excessively stupid is still the hardest working midfielder in SE of recent and should take Etuhu's place
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by skynylaw: 6:53am On Jul 22, 2010
I beg make una free Shittu, as far as am concern Shittu does his job well. the dumpest player i see in this list is ETUHU that guy is close to useless.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by FBS: 6:56am On Jul 22, 2010
Shittu dey try abeg cheesy. At least, he is willing and gives his ALL.
But er, wait. . .who is the coach?
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by coalcoal1(m): 7:03am On Jul 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

NO MENTION OF A COACH SO WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THIS TEAM?!!!

I hear that Lagerbeer is on leave so it leaves Eguaveon in charge of the team
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by Okijajuju1(m): 7:07am On Jul 22, 2010
phreakabit:

Honestly i cant still understand how Etuhu always makes it into the team,he is outright Gargbage and belongs in the junkyard not on the pitch of play to me this is still a fairly good list only noticable omission being

T.Taiwo
V.Aniechebe
R.Ibrahim
C.Obasi
And of course Sanni Kaita, Yes! Sanni Kaita,although excessively silly is still the hardest working midfielder in SE of recent and should take Etuhu's place

I agree with Aniechebe and Kaita but Obasi?!! If that guy ever wears the green jersay for us ever in his life, then I'll know for sure that our eagles are beyond redemption.

Taiwo I dont really mind his omission. He overlaps too much and dosent fall back in time. His wing has always been the most vulnerable point in our defense since Nwaneri left.

Rabiu!! I think he is a hype. Didnt really give a good account of himself at the WC.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by Ranoscky(m): 7:42am On Jul 22, 2010
@Kenuoyibo, God bless u for what u said jare. waa ri ke, waa tu r'ayo! all dis peeps complainin abt 1 player or d oda, if u ask 1 of dem to name dia own list of playaz now d oda party amongst dem will also disagree wit d list so, what is d need of cryin out loud for shyt sake wen u know, no matter what good u do, u can't pls d world?

@bk/babe, na only u i see wey reason wella for dis topic interms of playaz dat were fired out from d SE.
now, d main pioneer force dat u we have in SE was also fired from d squad, y? b'cos of what he did against greece. yeah, it's very, very important for a player to control his temper in d field of play buh, does dat mean to axe him out of d team entirely? forgettin all d hard works he has contributn for d SE in d past? well, u know, we flygerians we do forget things so easily daz 1 of d reason we'r stil backward today buh, i'll lyk to let u guys know dat at d moment, he (sani kaita) still remains d best DM dat Nigeria can boast of. i rest ma case! (good luck to d new 1's tho!)
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by Demdem(m): 7:43am On Jul 22, 2010
This list is definately incomplete. Where the hell is Yakubu? angry
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by FBS: 7:45am On Jul 22, 2010
And Haruna made that list?
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by anitabest(f): 8:37am On Jul 22, 2010
i love the selection, yukubulism and co can go to hell and burn to asses.
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by phreakabit(m): 8:53am On Jul 22, 2010

I agree with Aniechebe and Kaita but Obasi?!! If that guy ever wears the green jersay for us ever in his life, then I'll know for sure that our eagles are beyond redemption.

Taiwo I dont really mind his omission. He overlaps too much and dosent fall back in time. His wing has always been the most vulnerable point in our defense since Nwaneri left.

Rabiu!! I think he is a hype. Didnt really give a good account of himself at the WC.

If you had played the role Obasi played in that team you might pass out  on the pitch, Let me explain he was suppose to play just no 7 but ended up helping the defense the mid field and also switched wings occasionally  basically the guy played the role of the utility player in the team and against Korea created 2 scoring chances,one that Yucky Yak wasted and then the Penalty.Also against Argentina he created the best scoring chance for Aiyegbeni but Mr Yak wasted again and Obasi clearly taken unawares probably expecting Aiyegbeni to score,stupidly wasted the chance.Well to me Obasi should remain in SE and Rabiu should be introduced as a late substitute occasionally to groom him
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by phreakabit(m): 8:58am On Jul 22, 2010
I mean Rabiu Ibrahim NOT afolabi oh, GOD punish that Rabiu Afolabi
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by 1988: 9:03am On Jul 22, 2010
finally sumone is thinking but y is lukman on that list. The dude is wack
Re: Official: Nigeria 35man Squad Vs Korea by phreakabit(m): 9:06am On Jul 22, 2010
finally sumone is thinking but y is lukman on that list. The dude is wack

MIKEL = Long Passes + Haruna = Short Passes = A Better Midfield

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Funny Pictures From MANCITY Vs CHELSEA Match / Do You Remember Hazard Vs Di Maria Comparison / Free Daily Single Sure Games For Max Winnings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.