Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,056 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Short Story: A Journey Of No Return - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story: A Journey Of No Return (736 Views)

©pandora Room: No Return For Whomsoever Goes In© / {Short Story}A Bathroom Encounter (18+) / The Rat Story (A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Story: A Journey Of No Return by ASakinbinu(m): 1:36pm On Nov 08, 2018
Hello guys. I'm new here. I'm a writer and I'll be posting some of my works.
For a start, I'll post this short story.
Do let me know what you think about it after you read it. Thanks! wink

A JOURNEY OF NO RETURN:
(part one)

Dear friends, please join me in observing a one minute silence for my beloved Bunto, for she died on this day last year.
Thank you.
Oh sorry, Bunto didn't die. At least not physically; she just became non-existent to my world. Bunto my lover. I hope words have not gotten around that I held a candle night procession in honour of a living soul. I'll be crucified before I'd have a chance to justify my actions. Don't worry, I haven't held the procession either.
Please come with me.

You see, my world was fairly balanced until I met Bunto at music concert in Sabo some years ago. How many times have experience taught me not to go close to women I meet at music concerts? Anyway, if you're reading this, I'd like to tell you that I'm as stubborn as a mule.
Oh...forgive my manners, I haven't introduced myself. My name's Rohit. Undergraduate doctor, Twenty-six, Tall, dark, handsome and a lover of good music. I had been posted to Sabo General Hospital for my intern. Fortunately for me, my Mother lived in Sabo and I decided to stay with her for the entire duration of my internship.
Bunto sang to entertain people. Yes, you read that well. She was a budding musician and a god in her tricks and people preferred to invite her to at concerts and events to other budding musicians. I never knew her singing skills would later sweep me off my feet. Bloody feet....thin and shaky on the ground, no doubt. To cut the long story short, I fell in love. Don't ask with who please. I've told you.

I shouldn't have given her a second glance in the first place. But there was a charm about her that captivated me. In my latter days I realized I was only desperate to love. There were a lot of red flags about her. She was too tall for my liking, she didn't wear skirts and judging by my sense for decency, I preferred women who don skirts. She was also five years my junior in age.I've always loved women older than I am-perhaps because they're always more matured and more independent than the younger lasses.
Well, love must be very stupid. Otherwise how would I explain how I possibly fell in love with a woman who was the complete opposite of my dream woman?
Bunto the fish.

Hmmmm. Bunto. The epitome of notorious fake personality. A lair and an unrepentant exploiter. I fell for her fake wigs, hypocritical personality and singing skills. How would her singing skills help my life? Most of these female musicians carry their shoulders like knowing how to sing is a criteria for making heaven, or it's a ticket to divine wealth. Skills doesn't make a good wife, neither do talent. Let's get back to the main story please.

I can't blame myself for falling in love. I only blame myself for falling in love with the wrong person.
I took Bunto home and introduced her to my mother who loved her so much initially but later became skeptical about her.
'Rohit,' my mother startled me one day. 'I love Bunto but I have my reservations about her.'
I smiled. Her comments were not too surprising. I had my reservations about her too. 'Mother, I know you have reservations about her. And I've always wanted to discuss this with you. I'm in love with Bunto and I won't let go off her...'
'Be wise Rohit!,' Mother snapped, interrupting me from launching a defence for Bunto. 'The lady isn't your type.'
'I know,' I replied with an undertone of sadness. 'But I still want.....'
'Just what have happened to your brains!?' She interrupted again. 'What happened to those short ladies in mini skirts and older than you? When did you start chasing lasses you normally term ''underage"? What happened to your taste?' My head sank into deep thoughts as she went on listing a thousand and one reasons why I should call it quits with Bunto. But It was her last reason that struck me. 'Have you noticed anything fishy with your Bunto and Abe?'
'Abe? The guy who works at the studio? What is it with them?' I asked with a pretensive bewilderment. Abe worked as a stage director at "Livfai studios"-where Bunto does most of her recordings.
'Stop asking questions to which you already know the answer,' Mother replied. 'A plane might as well crash beside you and you'd be asking what fell down. Quit before you're invited to their wedding. I won't ask you to be wise. I know I gave birth to a wise child, hence I'll only ask you to use your brain. Let her go.'
I watched dejectedly and pathetically as she walked out through the door, leaving me frantically searching for questions to the answers I have. In all truth, I knew. Bunto and Abe were too close for anyone not to suspect something was amiss between them. I was no fool, even after I lost my senses.
Damn my bastard self, I should have listened to my mother. But I followed my stupid heart, down through the route of destruction, with Bunto leading the way and smiling warmly at me as she ripped the brakes out of my car.
She just wanted the pleasure, the thrill, she wanted the incentives, the services.
I wanted forever.

'What's going on between you and Abe? I asked on a cold thursday night.
Bunto was a bit startled. 'Abe is my friend, nothing more,' she answered succinctly.
'That's easy for you to say,' I said. 'Everyone from the outside world including me thinks otherwise.'
'What people think is their problem not mine.'
'And what about what I think?' I asked?
'What exactly do you think?'
'That you and Abe are too close for my liking. If you're with me, then be with me. I don't want you seated on the fence.'
'Does your mother know about Abe and I?' She asked, adjusting her sitting position.
'The whole of Sabo knows. And if the whole if Sabo knows, my Mother knows too. She's neither blind nor deaf. And she's extremely displeased.'
She shrugged. 'I see. Little wonder she's been acting coldly towards me lately.'
'Can you blame her? I'm her only son. Who would blame a mother for looking after her only son's best interest?'
Bunto stood up and walked towards the door. 'You only care about yourself. She only cares about you. How I feel doesn't matter to either of you. Abe is my friend. And I've known him long before I met you. And I can't stop being friends with him. Not for you, not for anyone else. He wants me but I have made it clear to him that I can't be his', we can only be friends.'
'I know he wants you,' I replied, standing up as well. 'He has always wanted you long before I met you. But now that you have me, I see no reason for your closeness to him.'
'You're only just jealous, you only care about yourself. You don't care about me or how I feel.'
'Shouldn't you be happy that I'm jealous? You have no reason to worry as long as I'm jealous. But be worried when I stop being jealous because that means I don't care about you anymore.'
'This conversation is over,' she said, holding the door open. 'And nothing of such shall ever again be discussed in this house.' I nodded. 'Now if you'll excuse me, I have more pressing issues that needs my attention.'

I'd go to the market to buy foodstuffs, fecth water from water vendors, cook, clean the house, wash the dishes and do her laundry-including her...errmm...it's undies-I'm not mincing words-Yes. I did it. Not once not twice. In fact, I lost count along the line. Call me stupid and I'd tell you I was In love and I'd do the same thing for you if I were in love with you. I actually did all these chores and more with Bunto folding her hands, watching "monster trucks" on my laptop and drinking alone the coke that I bought for both of us to share.
Every time, I'd return home from the hospital to meet the whole house unkempt. And after a tiring day, I'd have to contend with cleaning the house, washing the dishes and cooking dinner while all Bunto ever did was play candy crush on her phone.
One day, my Mother returned earlier from work as I was preparing to wash the dishes. Bunto tiptoed to the kitchen on noticing her presence. 'Your mother is around,' she whispered and continued before I could reply. 'I'm going to the studio in thirty minutes, please don't wash the dishes while I'm still around.....'
I chipped in an interrupted 'Why?'
'I don't want her to know I don't do any chores in the house. I'll quickly complete level 10 of my candy crush and head for my stall.'
I simply nodded and acceded to her request.
My Mother came to meet me in the kitchen no sooner than she left for her stall. I was already underway with the washing. 'So Queen Karishika couldn't wash the dishes before she left?' She asked sarcastically as she turned the tap to rinse her hand. No water was dispensed.
'Mother, she had to go the the studio urgently....'
'It's pointless trying to defend her indolence; not when I know the whole truth. Has she ever carried out any chores in this house? She doesn't even pretend about it when I'm around. She openly flaunts her indolence in my presence.'
'Mother! We are not married yet,' I reminded her. 'I haven't paid her bride price so on what grounds is she to do house chores?'
My Mother was visible enraged. 'And so? On what grounds is she to turn herself into a liability?' She snapped. 'And mind you nothing changes in marriage. If it does, it's for the worse. I didn't give birth to a doormat.'
'Mother.....'
She cut in angrily. 'Enough!' She snapped and then hesitated before continuing. 'The tap isn't dispensing anymore. We need water in the house. I want to fix dinner.'
'You need to relax mother, I'll fix the dinner.'
'Oh...who do you take me for? A lanky lass whose who's only good at singing? You think talents make a happy marriage? What else does she have to offer aside her nightingale voice?'
'Mother...'
'Nothing...'
'But Mother...'
'Can your gob Rohit! I'm still talking,' she snapped. 'Anyway I'll fix dinner myself. I'm still bouncing, strong and eager to work unlike the young and lazy songstress.'
'This is not fair Mother...'
'I'm not interested in Its color Rohit, now I just need water. I know you wouldn't wait for her to tell you that.'
I left the dishes and reached for a can behind the door and she spoke again.
'She left her dirty clothes in the laundry basket; as usual. You know what to do with them; as usual. You know the quantity of water you need to fetch; now that's not usual.'
The sarcarsm in her voice irritated me. But I won't let Bunto go, come what may. I longed to complete my intern and leave Sabo.....with Bunto.

1 Like

Re: Short Story: A Journey Of No Return by povicky1(m): 1:43pm On Nov 08, 2018
Nice one, I have taken the first seat. Hope the updates would be frequent ooo ...
Re: Short Story: A Journey Of No Return by ASakinbinu(m): 1:53pm On Nov 08, 2018
Thanks. This is only a two part story. This and all of my subsequent works would be updated frequently.
...and I'm still coming to terms on how to properly use the site!
Re: Short Story: A Journey Of No Return by ASakinbinu(m): 2:28pm On Nov 08, 2018
A Journey Of No Return:
(Part two: The conclusion)

The details of how I went into debt just to make sure Bunto continued schooling at a time I was at the verge of being thrown out of school myself because I couldn't afford my project fees are at best messy. I did everything just to make sure that when we slept we didn't sleep on an empty stomach and when we woke, there was bread on the table despite my pocket meltdown.
On a damp Saturday evening, Bunto walked in dejectedly. 'What is it Bunto?' I asked as she seated herself beside me. Perhaps she had a rough day at the studio or something.
'Tomorrow is the deadline for payment of school fees. I'll be dropping out.'
'That's impossible,' I said, searching my brains frantically for comforting words.
'That would be the case if at midnight tomorrow I still haven't paid.'
I could sense anxiety in her. 'I won't let that happen, it won't happen,' I assured her.
'What do we do? I have no one to turn to.'
This time, tears swelled in her eyes and she desperately tried to fight them back. I couldn't stand and watch her cry. Mother had not being paid for three months now and she had to go stay with her friend who lives close to her place of work so she could save the cost of transportation which was eating deep into our not-too-deep wallet-hence I couldn't approach her for any money and my project fee was due in two weeks time as well and her struggles to raise it before the deadline is well documented. 'Give me some minutes, I'll be back,' I said, grabbed my phone and exited the house downtown.

I had only planted two knocks on the door when it was opened by a middle aged man. He was lanky and had grey hair. It was as if he had been expecting me.
The surprise in his voice was clearly obvious when he spoke. 'Rohit! I was on my way out. What brings you here?'
Doctor Farnu was my intern supervisor. He treated me like a son and gave me fatherly advice at the slightest opportunity.
'I need your help doctor,' I answered shyly.
'Oh....come on in Rohit,' he beckoned, holding the door wide open.
'Thank you doctor. I do not desire to enter since you were on your way out. I need to borrow some money from you,' I was brief and straight to the point. I knew Doctor Farnu would never deny my a request.

Two weeks later, I was at the hospital when my course mate called me to inform me that payment for project was due the next day and failure to meet payment deadline meant no graduation. Mother was still not close to rasing the money. My phone rang almost imediately after my course mate hanged up and I answered it absentmindedly.
'Hello Rohit, see me in my office now.'
The familiarity of the voice jerked me back to instant reality. 'Doctor Farnu!'
'It's over one week since you promised to repay the loan you took from me. I need the money,' the words pierced my ears agonizingly. Tears nearly swelled in my eyes.
I had initially promised to repay the loan the following week, believing my Mother's three months salary arrears would have been paid by then.
I apologized for the delay in repaying him and promised to repay him as soon as my Mother's salary arrears was paid. Fortunately for me, Doctor Farnu was still incapable of denying me a request. I rang an old friend when I Ieft his office. 'Hello!' I paused and listened to the response from the other end before I spoke again. 'Dele, I need your help. Tomorrow is the deadline for payment of my project fee otherwise I'd end up a dropout.'
'Rohit, my friend,' Dele replied from the other end. 'Today is your lucky day. How much do you need?'

I retured home to find the house very quiet. Bunto was already . I woke her up gently.
'Welcome Rohit,' she replied half asleep.
'Have you eaten?' I asked.
She shook her head. 'Not since breakfast.'
'I'm so hungry as well,' I haven't had anything since daybreak. We should go to bed hungry.'
'But we don't have money, what do we do?'
'There's a packet of "festos" in the kitchen. You can eat that.'
'And what about you?'
'Don't worry, I'll be fine. I'll try to see if I could get us something, if otherwise. Just eat the festos, I'm sure tomorrow will be better.'
She nodded and got up from the bed and headed to the kitchen just as I made my way out. 'I'll be right back.'
She nodded.

Mama T. Stores sold groceries and other household provisions. The owner of the store, Mrs Thompson-popularly known as Mama T-and I had first met several months back when she brought her last child to the General Hospital for treatment. The young lad had been bitten by a stray dog and his mother was seriously worried about the risk of rabies. Luckily, the tests carried out showed that the boy was not infected. The woman had showered me encomium enough to last me a lifetime as her soon was bouncing and kicking less than one week after receiving treatment from me.
'Doctor Rohit! Welcome,' Mama T. greeted me with a warmest smile. 'Tom Tom! Doctor Rohit's here!'
I manage to return the smile in equal quantity but definitely not the same quality. I was being whacked by hunger and was in no mood to smile. But I was forced to smile again when the young Tom whom I had treated months back came running into my arms. I ruffled his well groomed hair and managed to ask a lifeless 'how are you?' to which the boy replied an vibrant 'I'm fine doc....' and sped off as a young male voice-probably his friend-called his name. 'Children,' I said smilling-more at the relieve of the boy leaving-Precious time to carry out my mission, I thought. ''Can I shop and defer payment for some days please?" I asked.
Mama T. got up from her chair and walked up to me. She grabbed a basket and thrust it into my hands. 'Do you have to ask?'

But despite all I did for my beloved Bunto, I never knew I was investing in ruins. I thought she loved me. Until one day when I dashed my foot against a rock...quite painfully...
Oh no, I dashed her foot against a rock. It wasn't my foot.
I was returning home from the hospital one night when I saw Bunto in front of an eatery, talking and laughing with her ex. I walked past them pretending not to see her. That wasn't the first time I had seen them together, but it was the first time I felt them so connected that I couldn't deny it. Bunto knocked shortly after entered. 'Come in,' I replied, still struggling to fathom what I saw at the eatery.
Her head popped in. 'I was returning from the studio so I decided to stop by to check on you before going home,' she said. Home? I wondered curiosly. Home with het ex? 'I'm going to sleep at my house so I can pick up some notes I need for tomorrow morning studio session,' she added as if reading my thoughts and trying to solve my puzzle.
'Alright, let me see you off,' I replied.
'There's no need,' she said succinctly.
I tried to persuade her but she was adamant. I gave up and bid her goodnight and she left. On a second thought, I got up and followed her. She was already far ahead when I caught sight of her. I was shocked to my marrow when I saw her ex walking her home. Now the puzzle of why she didn't want me to see her off was solved. Initially it was Abe, and now it was her ex. Bitterness swelled in me and at that point I wanted nothing more than to kill the useless ex, who used her, dumped her and has the guts to come back and flirt with her. I secretly followed behind them. Twenty minutes later, we were at her house. They both entered and I hid behind a fence. Minutes later he came out from the house and left, paving the way for me to go in.
'Why are you still hanging around with your ex?' I asked, managing to suppress my anger. She remained silent. 'Speak up!' I yelled. Her silence fueling my anger.
'Laban is not my ex,' she replied after minutes that seemed like hours.
'But you told me he is your ex!'
'And so? It's my life! And keep your damned voice low do not yell at me,' she snapped.
I was filled with a mixture of bitterness, anger and hatred. I held her arm but she yanked it away from my hand.
'Do not touch me!' She snapped.
'Bunto...!'
She ignored me and walked out on me. I ran after her and pulled her back in anger and she fell to the ground in the process and broke a toe.
And that was the beginning of the end of us.
'Get out of my house and my life!' She screamed.
'I'm so sorry Bunto, I didn't mean to hurt you...' I muttered with remorse. And I never intended to push her. It was an innocent mistake. I swear on my unborn dogs, it was not intentional. But intentional or not, She had broken a toe in the process. And the pain set in. Although she did very well to exaggerate it. Mad woman, bad woman. Little did I know she had been looking for an excuse to dispose me.
In the ensuing days, I hired professional orthopedics to put her toe back in a fine shape. I paid the best massage parlors to give her toe a befitting massage. But her mind was long made up.

In the middle of a moonless night she threw me out of her house and her life. I had gone to her house the umpteenth time to apologize to her and plead with her to give me another chance.
'Go away from me,' she screamed. 'I don't ever want to see you again. You don't care about me and you have no idea how I feel, all you do is hurt me! I'm the best musician in all of Sabo. People only dance when I sing. I am too much for you to handle. Stay far away from me as possible. Leave my life and never come back!'
I wept like a baby until my eyes refused to further dispense tears.
When I dared protest about how unfairly had treated me. she raised her hand and slapped me. Tears trickled down my eyes again.
'You used me, played me, tricked me. And one you've had enough of me, you're throwing me out. Despite all I've sacrificed for you. You'd never find someone like me,' I said as I packed my stuffs.
'Amen,' she replied.
On countless occasions, I fought to win her back against the wishes of my Mother. But I retured home more heartbroken each time.
And at the last attempt on this day last year, I snooped through her phone and found out someone else had 'earned a right' to her heart.
It was a writing long written on the wall.

That day, Bunto died in my life. I killed her. But her pains lives on till now in my heart. Maybe tomorrow will heal it.
But as far as my life is concerned, She has gone on a damning journey.
And to it there is no return.

Adieu Bunto.....I hope you are not resting in peace.
Can I have another minute of silence please?

(1) (Reply)

********* / Please Can You Name This Book? / Beyond Captivating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.