Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon (773 Views)

Why Do Christians Oppose The Devil Without Hearing His Side Of The Story? / Britons Oppose Oyedepo's School Over "Slaps-Giving" Video / Why Christians Ignorantly Oppose The Theory Of Evolution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon by Yefet(m): 7:40am On Jul 22, 2010
Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon
Posted by Josh Buice on Nov 17, 2009

This morning, I posted a tweet on Twitter.com about The Twilight Saga: New Moon. I saw that it was a trending topic, so I clicked on the link in order to read what people were saying about it. Since the movie will be in theaters this Friday, many people are talking about it. One tweet was particularly interesting to me. It read: “Today I’ll be decorating for christmas/new moon party and then I have my cuz basketball game tonight @ 6!!! WAY TO GO GRAY!!!“ I found it interesting that someone would throw a party that would combine both Christmas and New Moon. I then remembered what the Word of God says about light and darkness in 2 Corinthians 6:14-18:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Jesus is the Light of the world (John 9:5; John 12). He came into this sin filled and dark world of fallen humanity as God’s bright and shining Light of Grace and forgiveness. However, the Word of God tells us that the world did not receive Him (John 1:5, 11). Jesus Christ came on a salvation mission and redeemed a people unto Himself. The Bible records the fact that everyone who has been saved by Grace is now the child of God and an heir to the throne of God. This transformation that took place in our hearts was a miraculous work of God’s Grace that literally changed us into a new creature in Christ. This transformation caused us to have new desires and a new outlook on life.

2 Corinthians 5:17 – Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

The new birth that took place at regeneration transformed our dark heart that once loved sin into a heart that is alive in Christ. Our new heart opposes sin and desires to live for Christ. Therefore, as a new creation in Christ, our ultimate desire should be to shine the light of Christ’s glory into a sin filled world. Sinclair B. Ferguson once said, “How do we bring glory to God? The Bible’s short answer is: by growing more and more like Jesus Christ.” Healthy Christian Growth, The Banner of Truth Trust, Carlisle, PA. 1991, p. 2. As a Christian, the will of God is for us to remain in a constant pursuit of holiness. Romans 12:1-2 provides us a clear charge to be transformed by the renewing of the mind – in Christ.

As our culture continues to saturate itself in things such as vampires, Harry Potter, and New Moon – should the Christian embrace such books, literature, games, and movies? Do Christians have liberty and freedom in Christ to enjoy such things? I believe the answer is clearly recorded down in Holy Scripture in Galatians 5. In that chapter, Paul is writing to the Galatians who were being attacked by Judaizers with a false gospel that literally choked the life out of the church in that city. Paul spoke to them in the latter part of the chapter about Christian liberty and freedom in Christ. However, he also warned them to refrain from using their Christian liberty as a license to sin (Galatians 5:13-26)!

In that passage of Scripture, Paul outlines some of the sins of the flesh (that the Galatians and ourselves have all embraced):

Galatians 5:19-21: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

As we read this passage of Scripture, we should pay close attention to what it says about witchcraft in verse 20. Notice that it lumps that sin in with other sins like adultery and murder! Then Paul goes on to say that anyone who practices such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God. That is no little statement by the Apostle Paul. That is a powerful warning that every Christian who is dabbling in things such as Harry Potter and the New Moon should repent immediately.

It should be noted that God has always opposed witchcraft. In Deuteronomy 18:9-10, God commands His people to refrain from it! He calls it an abomination! In Isaiah 8:19, God again warns against such practices as communicating with the dead. It should also be pointed out that in Revelation 21:8, the Apostle John warns that all sorcerers will have their part in the lake of fire and brimstone. Therefore, the totality of God’s Word stands opposed to witchcraft and the evil that surrounds such practices.

After the description of the life before Christ by Paul in Galatians 5, Paul then describes the life in Christ. He points out that the Christian will manifest the fruit of the Spirit. As we read the list from Galatians 5:22-23, we see that the true Christian will demonstrate a life that reflects Christ – not a sinful corrupt world. Christians are people of Light – not darkness. Therefore, we should stand opposed to the darkness of sin – no matter how popular or attractive it may seem in books and movies. Be a bold Christian and stand for Christ – not the world. Never use your freedom in Christ as a license to sin.

Galatians 5:13 – For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Pastor Josh Buice

(1) (Reply)

Give It Up / Creed Of The Greedy Preacher / Wetin Concern Pastor On Choice Of Partner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.