Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. (5547 Views)

SELL YOUR CARS 10X FASTER / Scan Your Car With This Mini Hand-held Obd 2 Scanner (7k,works With All Cars ). / Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:24am On Nov 11, 2018
Recived a call today from a man who sold a car to me in Nov 2017, he said he got a call from an individual who claimed he used the services of a driver who was using the said car and he left his phone in the car and the driver refused taking his calls (uber driver)

I had used the car for about 10 months and Re-Sold it, so I had to call the last buyer to find out what was going on. After a lot of back and forth the driver admitted to being with the phone and an arrangement was made for its return.

Mistake I made was selling car and giving it off with the plates, and reg documents. The uber rider was able to access ownership information (name, address, phone number) from the plate numbers. If this had been a greater crime I would have been roped into it without knowing.

My advise, if you sell a car, keep your plate numbers with you.

29 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by Nobody: 2:25am On Nov 11, 2018
New Vehicle reg, change of ownership, New Driver licence, renewal, Tint permit, and every other vehicle document.

My thread
https://www.nairaland.com/2653841/uber-partner-lagos-please-share/1117#2653841.35771

my contact 0803 048 7887
Our Services are quick and efficient.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by CarGuideNG: 2:38am On Nov 11, 2018
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by pattybf(f): 2:48am On Nov 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Recived a call today from a man who sold a car to me in Nov 2017, he said he got a call from an individual who claimed he used the services of a driver who was using the said car and he left his phone in the car and the driver refused taking his calls (uber driver)

I had used the car for about 10 months and Re-Sold it, so I had to call the last buyer to find out what was going on. After a lot of back and forth the driver admitted to being with the phone and an arrangement was made for its return.

Mistake I made was selling car and giving it off with the plates, and reg documents. The uber rider was able to access ownership information (name, address, phone number) from the plate numbers. If this had been a greater crime I would have been roped into it without knowing.

At bolded, we ve always advised on this. Once a buyer process change of ownership, ur no plate become useless to him anyways.

3 Likes

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by blackboy(m): 2:48am On Nov 11, 2018
Really?
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by pattybf(f): 2:52am On Nov 11, 2018
blackboy:
Really?

Yes of course, numbered plates r not transferable.

1 Like

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by elshanAutos: 4:31am On Nov 11, 2018
. grin .
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 11, 2018
GAZZ.UZZ:

It is very important to retrieve your old plate number because it carries your identity and information.

On second thought, the highlighted, was a "Change of Ownership" not done when you bought the car in Nov. 2017?

Also the last buyer didn't do "Change of Ownership" before enlisting the car on Uber?

Hence the vehicle has gone through 2 transfer of ownership but still retains the identity, information and plate number of the person that first sold the vehicle in Nov. 2017.

So technically speaking, the person whose name was used to register the plate number still retain ownership of the car?

1 Like

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by Mayor555(m): 7:51am On Nov 11, 2018
When you sell your car, always have a genuine legal record to show you've sold it.

Uber driver is just playing with fire trying to keep that phone. In a world where tracking of phones have become easy.

4 Likes

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by Mrtesso: 8:57am On Nov 11, 2018
TheCar:

On second thought, the highlighted, was a "Change of Ownership" not done when you bought the car in Nov. 2017?

Also the last buyer didn't do "Change of Ownership" before enlisting the car on Uber?

Hence the vehicle has gone through 2 transfer of ownership but still retains the identity, information and plate number of the person that first sold the vehicle in Nov. 2017.

I THINK transfer of ownership is just a transferrable piece of paper. The details remain the same In the MVAA system database. I SUSPECT it takes a lot of "man-know-man" to make any alterations to that database, and of course some money. So why not just re-register?

1 Like

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by banky3w(m): 9:25am On Nov 11, 2018
pattybf:

At bolded, we ve always advised on this. Once a buyer process change of ownership, ur no plate become useless to him anyways.

Please explain more on this. Is the number plate not registered with the car's chassis number? and when you register the car again as a new owner, wouldn't the chassis number be attached to 2 or more number plates? Then these illiterate police wahala begins....

4 Likes

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by DelTel(m): 10:31am On Nov 11, 2018
We all just confusing and creating issues for ourselves due to distrust for govt agencies which is not an excuse.

Any registered vehicle sold should never be sold with the plate number. You only need to make copies of old number papers and Change of Ownership (receipt might suffice) for the new buyer to go do his/her new plate. Some Licensing Office do require the original Vehicle License - this comes in counterfoil so releasing a side shouldn't be an issue especially when a photocopy can be used by the seller for record purpose if need be.

Your sold vehicle plate will be used to register any new vehicle you later buy, simply by endorsing the details on the back page of Proof of Ownership by the Licensing Office (however it takes about 2wks to get all the papers out), and other docs are freshly issued. I have done this more than 5 times.

Unfortunately, I have had clients that wanted to do this but change their minds when they are informed payment of the lapsed, often un-used year(s), must be paid to update the Vehicle License before the old plate number can be transferred to their new vehicle.

The security implications can never be truly imagined until it happens.

2 Likes

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 11, 2018
Mrtesso:

I THINK transfer of ownership is just a transferrable piece of paper. The details remain the same In the MVAA system database. I SUSPECT it takes a lot of "man-know-man" to make any alterations to that database, and of course some money. So why not just re-register?

When you sell your car, you give the buyer a "transfer of ownership" paper which both of you would jointly signed.

The new buyer, is expected to go and do a "Change of Ownership" registration which would change the information in MVAA system database to his/her name as the new car owner.

When you do "Change of Ownership" registration, you would be issued a new plate number with the car's chassis and engine number registered to the new number in MVAA system database, hence the former plate number becomes useless to you and the previous car owner.

However, if the previous car owner wishes to retain ownership of the old plate number after your "Change of Ownership" registration, he/she would proceed to License Office to register his/her old plate number with a new car's chassis and engine number.

So I believe in this case, When Master G bought the car last year, "Change of Ownership" registration wasn't done, hence the seller's old plate number was used. When Master G sold the car to another party, the new owner also didn't do "Change of Ownership" registration hence the plate used by the seller who sold the vehicle to Master G is being used until the incidence happen. That is why the Uber Rider, called the person that sold the vehicle to Master G, since in MVAA database, the vehicle still belongs to him.

If "Change of Ownership" registration was done, the Uber Rider would have called the currently owner of the vehicle's phone number, since his/her details would be registered in MVAA database as car owner. grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 11, 2018
banky3w:

Please explain more on this. Is the number plate not registered with the car's chassis number? and when you register the car again as a new owner, wouldn't the chassis number be attached to 2 or more number plates? Then these illiterate police wahala begins....

When you do a "Change of Ownership" registration, the chassis and engine number would be delisted from the old plate number and registered to your own new plate number issued to you.
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by Philla80: 11:45am On Nov 11, 2018
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by seunoj: 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2018
Well said Gazzuzz. What I did during the sale of my car is to include it in the change of ownership document that the reg plate no will be returned within 2 weeks from this date of sale to allow for re-registration. Any assets and liabilities on the assets(the car) have been transferred in full to the new owner. Failure to return plates within the said time empowers the seller to approach the licensing authorities to retrieve same.

Keep the original allocation of plate no documents with you. This will be required for retrieval.

Some buyers usually plead for few weeks to arrange for registration

Na my small way of protection.
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by thebigkendo(m): 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2018
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by diportivo: 11:18pm On Nov 11, 2018
thebigkendo:

grin grin

clown number two

I hear dem no born clown number three well to show here

it wld av been a reunion like the other thread tongue
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by jarkbauer: 10:07am On Nov 21, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Your plate numbers are your property.
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:18am On Nov 21, 2018
jarkbauer:

Your plate numbers are your property.

yes they are partner kiss
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by surrogatesng: 10:43am On Nov 21, 2018
Thanks for the advice
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by speedyconnect3: 11:17am On Nov 21, 2018
DelTel:

We all just confusing and creating issues for ourselves due to distrust for govt agencies which is not an excuse.

Any registered vehicle sold should never be sold with the plate number. You only need to make copies of old number papers and Change of Ownership (receipt might suffice) for the new buyer to go do his/her new plate. Some Licensing Office do require the original Vehicle License - this comes in counterfoil so releasing a side shouldn't be an issue especially when a photocopy can be used by the seller for record purpose if need be.

Your sold vehicle plate will be used to register any new vehicle you later buy, simply by endorsing the details on the back page of Proof of Ownership by the Licensing Office (however it takes about 2wks to get all the papers out), and other docs are freshly issued. I have done this more than 5 times.

Unfortunately, I have had clients that wanted to do this but change their minds when they are informed payment of the lapsed, often un-used year(s), must be paid to update the Vehicle License before the old plate number can be transferred to their new vehicle.

The security implications can never be truly imagined until it happens.

Please
Do you mean that if i sell my car without number plates and want to use the plates on a new vehicle 5 years later, I will pay for the 5 years unused?
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by thebigkendo(m): 1:20pm On Nov 21, 2018
speedyconnect3:

Please
Do you mean that if i sell my car without number plates and to use the plates on a new vehicle 5 years later, I will pay for the 5 years unused?

Well dem no force you to use the number plate.. You can just keep it or destroy it.. If it is cheaper to get new plates
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by speedyconnect3: 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2018
thebigkendo:

Well dem no force you to use the number plate.. You can just keep it or destroy it.. If it is cheaper to get new plates

Please answer the question.
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by diportivo: 6:58pm On Nov 21, 2018
speedyconnect3:

Please answer the question.

I agree....

he shld answer the question cos I wantu know too undecided
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by DelTel(m): 7:19pm On Nov 21, 2018
speedyconnect3:

Please
Do you mean that if i sell my car without number plates and want to use the plates on a new vehicle 5 years later, I will pay for the 5 years unused?

Yes pls, you will have to pay for Vehicle License for ALL the unused 5years to revalidate the Vehicle License to date.

I think the idea around it is to discourage the non-payment of vehicle license fee irrespective of when the owner decides to do it, for instance, Mr A's vehicle license expired January 2018 but he didn't do it until, say November 2018, when he does it November, the date will still be January 2018 to expire January 2019, not November 2018 to expire November 2019.

Therefore, the system can't be cheated unlike the Roadworthiness that will, in the case above, start the date Mr A does it, November 2018 to November 2019 in the case of Private vehicle (Roadworthiness is 6months for Commercial and Company vehicles).
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by DelTel(m): 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2018
thebigkendo:

It is actually cheaper, nothing less than #5,000 cheaper, but takes about 2weeks unlike a new one that can be done within 1hour except that the police docs - CMR and one other - might take 2-3days.

Personally, I will rather wait for the 2weeks thou as it not only afford me the opportunity to continue the use of my cherished special number (in my mind) but also some policemen & customs officers might not know you just bought a new ride, u understand what I mean cool.

As per destroying it, I no know o grin
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by thebigkendo(m): 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2018
DelTel:

It is actually cheaper, nothing less than #5,000 cheaper, but takes about 2weeks unlike a new one that can be done within 1hour except that the police docs - CMR and one other - might take 2-3days.

Personally, I will rather wait for the 2weeks thou as it not only afford me the opportunity to continue the use of my cherished special number (in my mind) but also some policemen & customs officers might not know you just bought a new ride, u understand what I mean cool.

As per destroying it, I no know o grin

Assuming vehicle license is up to date ba??
With 5 year gbese.. Is it still cheaper?
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by DelTel(m): 7:58pm On Nov 21, 2018
thebigkendo:

Assuming vehicle license is up to date ba??
With 5 year gbese.. Is it still cheaper?

Mmmmmhh, playing devil's advocate abi grin, you are right thou.

Assuming it's 2yrs (1.6L engine is #1,875*2 or 3 still okay).

Assuming it's a customized plate, say THEBIGKENDO or DELTEL or AAA 777 AA, that was gotten for #150k/#80k, even 10yrs arrears payment won't matter. Or would one rather do another, DBIGKENDO or DELTEL01 or AAA 777 ? kiss
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by speedyconnect3: 10:08pm On Nov 21, 2018
DelTel:

Yes pls, you will have to pay for Vehicle License for ALL the unused 5years to revalidate the Vehicle License to date.

I think the idea around it is to discourage the non-payment of vehicle license fee irrespective of when the owner decides to do it, for instance, Mr A's vehicle license expired January 2018 but he didn't do it until, say November 2018, when he does it November, the date will still be January 2018 to expire January 2019, not November 2018 to expire November 2019.

Therefore, the system can't be cheated unlike the Roadworthiness that will, in the case above, start the date Mr A does it, November 2018 to November 2019 in the case of Private vehicle (Roadworthiness is 6months for Commercial and Company vehicles).

Nawao.

So what do you do for cars parked for long?

Or how do car dealers that have cars in stand for years do it?

I need to learn this please.
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by DelTel(m): 10:18pm On Nov 21, 2018
speedyconnect3:

Nawao.

So what do you do for cars parked for long?

Or how do car dealers that have cars in stand for years do it?

I need to learn this please.

Most good cars at good deals don't stay in stands for long.

Also, the used car owner gets to go with his/her number plates, reason some used cars don't have any number plates on them while on display at the stand.

Meanwhile, I might not have answered your question(s) adequately, probably because I didn't understand the question.
Re: Never Sell Your Used Car With The Plates. by speedyconnect3: 6:30am On Nov 22, 2018
DelTel:

Most good cars at good deals don't stay in stands for long.

Also, the used car owner gets to go with his/her number plates, reason some used cars don't have any number plates on them while on display at the stand.

Meanwhile, I might not have answered your question(s) adequately, probably because I didn't understand the question.

You actually did answer well sir
Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

2007 And 2008 Model Range Rover Sport.HSE / Clearing A Vehicle In Lagos / Now 940k only for this Mercedes Benz C-class C200 1998 Model (foreign Used)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.