Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,744 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. (2932 Views)

Facilitator/educator(coding And Robotics) / Are You Interested In Robotics And Artificial Intelligence? / Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 11, 2018
A lot of people see the advancements being made in foreign countries, with Japan blazing the trail in technology, and they'll ask, 'which way Nigeria?'
Truly, which way?

When are we going to stop studying only theories and start putting them into practice and building real-life models?

Artificial intelligence is at a total zero in this country. The ones we have are never programmed here, or even if they are, foreign engineers come to do the work. Very bad.

Our universities teach outdated crap in Engineering departments. Very bad.

Nobody teaches students in IT related courses the basic fundamentals of neural networks and perceptrons. Heck, nobody even teaches machine learning or deployment of real life models here.

Artificial intelligence has no future here, unless we say it does. We are so caught up in the mental slavery that those things are for the advanced countries only, and we have no brains to foster them here. Not true. We can. It all starts with diving deep into the heart of programming and grasping as much as we can, focusing on deployment, not just syntax.

Signed: ComputerGeek

Please make your contributions, let's discuss a way forward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Thewesterner(m): 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2018
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Godsfavour78: 12:30pm On Nov 11, 2018
computergeek:
A lot of people see the advancements being made in foreign countries, with Japan blazing the trail in technology, and they'll ask, 'which way Nigeria?'
Truly, which way?

When are we going to stop studying only theories and start putting them into practice and building real-life models?

Artificial intelligence is at a total zero in this country. The ones we have are never programmed here, or even if they are, foreign engineers come to do the work. Very bad.

Nobody teaches students in IT related courses the basic fundamentals of neural networks and perceptrons. Heck, nobody even teaches machine learning or deployment of real life models here.

Artificial intelligence has no future here, unless we say it does. We are so caught up in the mental slavery that those things are for the advanced countries only, and we have no brains to foster them here. Not true. We can. It all starts with diving deep into the heart of programming and grasping as much as we can, focusing on deployment, not just syntax.

you open this thread to rant. I am tired of seeing rants about Nigeria's state. SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

Or at the very least

OFFER SOLUTIONS
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 11, 2018
Godsfavour78:
you open this thread to rant. I am tired of seeing rants about Nigeria's state. SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

Or at the very least

OFFER SOLUTIONS
I know you didn't read the last sentence in my post. If you had, you would have seen that I opened this thread so we can put minds together, not for kids to come here and display their Childishness.

4 Likes

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by RomanGreen: 1:31pm On Nov 11, 2018
Not just Artificial Intelligence, there are several other fields that are in hot demand but Nigeria barely boost of sufficient man power.... Cyber security experts, Data Scientists, Blockchain dev etc.....do we have a Cyber security expert here, please indicate....I want to major in this field

1 Like

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by tollyboy5(m): 5:22am On Nov 12, 2018
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by sparkle6(m): 6:57am On Nov 12, 2018
Ai in Nigeria is difficult because of the financial expenses attached to it. Robotic tools and parts are quite expensive to get for an average university guy.
Also it requires more of live tutorials which aint there.
Unless the govt starts an Ai tech company training and provide the necessay resources for robot production then it can as well be bygone.
I cant just waste 100k to get materials when our school fee is just 35k.
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by 4dor: 7:58am On Nov 12, 2018
computergeek:
Truly, which way?

I cringe when I see people that argue from a place of ignorance. You have no idea of the efforts of ML and AI experts yet you're here ranting. Lagos and Ibadan have a strong AI community, Google AI Saturdays, visit them, see the type of people involved in the project then come back and talk.

A while ago, Google opened shop for a strong AI team in Ghana, last time I checked they were recruiting. Apply, contribute your own quota to the development of AI in this region.

Two Bank hackathons happend in the past two months and they were both dedicated to developing ML, AI solutions. Were you involved?

1 Like

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 12, 2018
4dor:

I cringe when I see people that argue from a place of ignorance. You have no idea of the efforts of ML and AI experts yet you're here ranting. Lagos and Ibadan have a strong AI community, Google AI Saturdays, visit them, see the type of people involved in the project then come back and talk.

A while ago, Google opened shop for a strong AI team in Ghana, last time I checked they were recruiting. Apply, contribute your own quota to the development of AI in this region.

Two Bank hackathons happend in the past two months and they were both dedicated to developing ML, AI solutions. Were you involved?
If you can't understand a post, please don't bother quoting the OP. What we are discussing here is not just theoretical Machine Learning and other stuff that's never modelled in real life. The least y'all 'shops' stop at is prototyping. We need to break out of that barrier. We excluding goats like you.

Read the post again. Maybe this time use the brains I'm sure you don't have. Maybe then you will understand, educated illiterate.

And don't mention me again, cos if I see your moniker, I won't read the msg.
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by 4dor: 8:31am On Nov 12, 2018
computergeek:
If you can't understand a post, please don't bother quoting the OP. What we are discussing here us not just theoretical Machine Learning and other stuff that's never modelled in real life.

Read the post again. Maybe this time use the brains I'm sure you don't have. Maybe then you will understand, educated illiterate.

And don't mention me again, cos if I see your moniker, I won't read the msg.

Lmao! I hurt your feelings? Banks dropping money and data for young folks to develop Al solutions is theoretical? AI Saturdays is theoretical? Google setting up shop for research in Ghana is theoretical? On a scale of 1 to 10 how sensible is your statement?

Btw if you're going to break that barrier in this country then you'll definitely have to come into contact "with a goat like me" grin

Feel free to apply for the Google AI residency programme in Ghana. I'd be willing to chip in a good recommendation for you. Let's see if you're serious grin

https://careers.google.com/jobs#!t=jo&jid=/company/google-ai-resident-2019-start-fixed-term-accra-ghana-4423140666

2 Likes

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 12, 2018
When will Nigeria open an AI shop in the USA or Europe?
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Humchi(m): 11:33pm On Nov 12, 2018
From the above comments i was able to deduce some points.

1. It is not about having the 'shops' or building a real life AI model just to show off you can compete with the whites. It is all about what you give to the society, the benefits and how has it improve the lives around you. If i may ask "the so called 'shops' or AI organisations in Nigeria, how have they impacted lives or what solution do they have for problem ravaging Africa.?

2. This point i want to say, is almost related with the above, yes i have to say this, we should be more concerned about improving our environment before thinking of competing with these white folks. Let deal with how we eradicate hunger, bad leaders, disease, poverty etc.

We can't not be hungry and be coding.

If i don't have money for all resources needed for AI modelling, how will the dream come true?

My point is we must first provide an enabling environment for technology to strive in great pace.

1 Like

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Wizdeen(m): 12:26pm On Nov 21, 2018
the op clearly said this should be a collaborative thread and typically nigerians,trust us now,always acting like we know it all.well adding to what 4dor said, recently there has been an increase in active participation of practioners in AI,ML and data science,how do i know this,i participated in AIsaturdays Abuja chapter, Datascience nigeria conference among others which all held within this year,and currently i got accepted into deep learning with Pytorch scholarship.i met quite a number of learned nigerians in my adventure who are acknowledged by international communities.so i will say, there is an increase in our participation in AI,and you shouldnt compare us to the advanced countries since we lack both resources and support from our government.but we are still making progress and we will surely get there my fellow geeks

2 Likes

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by RomanGreen: 8:01pm On Nov 21, 2018
Wizdeen:
the op clearly said this should be a collaborative thread and typically nigerians,trust us now,always acting like we know it all.well adding to what 4dor said, recently there has been an increase in active participation of practioners in AI,ML and data science,how do i know this,i participated in AIsaturdays Abuja chapter, Datascience nigeria conference among others which all held within this year,and currently i got accepted into deep learning with Pytorch scholarship.i met quite a number of learned nigerians in my adventure who are acknowledged by international communities.so i will say, there is an increase in our participation in AI,and you shouldnt compare us to the advanced countries since we lack both resources and support from our government.but we are still making progress and we will surely get there my fellow geeks

Hi bro, what about Cyber Security experts...
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Wizdeen(m): 8:12pm On Nov 21, 2018
RomanGreen:

Hi bro, what about Cyber Security experts...
well,i love cybersecurity too. what would you like to know?
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by silento(m): 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2018
Ai learning when most of them can't think out of box , copy and paste programmers , majority of programmers that we have in Nigeria are too good at making mouth and noise give them problem which has never been solved before and you will begin hear story , envy and so many bad things on there mind , which ai are banks funding biko it is the same beginners ai toturail that we did in python that dey host and give it fancy name and boom gtb,first bank,diamond ai

Mumu people how many ai has you guys programmed before that can mimic a real human organ , image recognition and etc that someone has already programmed you are learning and you are are here shouting we have ai,ml tc and what ever

Not only just nigerians majority of Africans don't know that what ever you are learning today as an approved course was once someone mistake and that he later solved

Just ask them how far has you guys gone with what you have learned so far you will see them talking about google ai library and etc keep deceiving una self

Africans has to many dumbuus , why will someone waste his time to mimic a dumb brain ,

1 Like

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by RomanGreen: 9:38pm On Nov 21, 2018
Wizdeen:
well,i love cybersecurity too. what would you like to know?

I aspire to become one, am just curious as to the opportunities therein..... It appears we don't have much of them here in Nigeria
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by Wizdeen(m): 11:38pm On Nov 21, 2018
RomanGreen:

I aspire to become one, am just curious as to the opportunities therein..... It appears we don't have much of them here in Nigeria
yes unfortunately so,there is actually a lesser number of individuals engaged in the cybersecurity field in nigeria,the main cause is that the universities that offer it as a course in the country were just two in the past,it was just these year that two more universities got accredited to offer it.but there is still a community,a couple of conferences and hackathons are organized,the latest CYSECNG2018 held last month.
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by RomanGreen: 9:21pm On Nov 22, 2018
Wizdeen:
yes unfortunately so,there is actually a lesser number of individuals engaged in the cybersecurity field in nigeria,the main cause is that the universities that offer it as a course in the country were just two in the past,it was just these year that two more universities got accredited to offer it.but there is still a community,a couple of conferences and hackathons are organized,the latest CYSECNG2018 held last month.

Must one get it from a Nigerian University....I recall there are institutions offering international certification which is globally acceptable
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by nappy760(m): 8:03pm On Jun 09, 2019

1 Like

Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by SleekSavy21: 1:17pm On Jan 24, 2023
[/quote] I cringe when I see people that argue from a place of ignorance. You have no idea of the efforts of ML and AI experts yet you're here ranting. Lagos and Ibadan have a strong AI community, Google AI Saturdays, visit them, see the type of people involved in the project then come back and talk.

Two Bank hackathons happend in the past two months and they were both dedicated to developing ML, AI solutions. Were you involved? [/quote]

Baba abeg, I am looking for an AI/ ML Offline training institute in Lagos, Ibadan or ABJ.. I am willing to pay such training in person classes for couple of months...

Also If You do not mind, I will love to network with these communities you shared above, kindlt check your PM please, lets connect sir.
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by SleekSavy21: 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
4dor:

Lmao! I hurt your feelings? Banks dropping money and data for young folks to develop Al solutions is theoretical? AI Saturdays is theoretical? Google setting up shop for research in Ghana is theoretical? On a scale of 1 to 10 how sensible is your statement?

Btw if you're going to break that barrier in this country then you'll definitely have to come into contact "with a goat like me" grin

Feel free to apply for the Google AI residency programme in Ghana. I'd be willing to chip in a good recommendation for you. Let's see if you're serious grin

https://careers.google.com/jobs#!t=jo&jid=/company/google-ai-resident-2019-start-fixed-term-accra-ghana-4423140666

Baba abeg, I am looking for an AI/ ML Offline training institute in Lagos, Ibadan or ABJ.. I am willing to pay such training in person classes for couple of months...

Also If You do not mind, I will love to network with these communities you shared above, kindlt check your PM please, lets connect sir.
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by LikeAking: 3:12pm On Jan 24, 2023
Op if u think they teach Dem anything special in Japan, then u need to investigate more.

Nigerians have studied in that same Japan, why can't they do it like them.

Our problem is our African mindset... We have everything thing, what we lack is the will.

It's simple we are a civilization engineered byout minds, nothing concern our minds and complicated stuffs.

It's an African genetical problem...
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by LikeAking: 3:17pm On Jan 24, 2023
silento:
Ai learning when most of them can't think out of box , copy and paste programmers , majority of programmers that we have in Nigeria are too good at making mouth and noise give them problem which has never been solved before and you will begin hear story , envy and so many bad things on there mind , which ai are banks funding biko it is the same beginners ai toturail that we did in python that dey host and give it fancy name and boom gtb,first bank,diamond ai

Mumu people how many ai has you guys programmed before that can mimic a real human organ , image recognition and etc that someone has already programmed you are learning and you are are here shouting we have ai,ml tc and what ever

Not only just nigerians majority of Africans don't know that what ever you are learning today as an approved course was once someone mistake and that he later solved

Just ask them how far has you guys gone with what you have learned so far you will see them talking about google ai library and etc keep deceiving una self

Africans has to many dumbuus , why will someone waste his time to mimic a dumb brain ,

We lack the innovate spirit, but we like to argue.

Even the so called best are just repeating what they saw in one tutorial over and over..

No doubt, we have not experienced real growth.....

No doubt...

Even the rich men kids, will with all the resources can't come through for us..
Re: Artificial Intelligence And Robotics In Africa. by LikeAking: 3:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nigerians just love to complain, we don't have dis, we don't have dat.

Do u know how many times M Faradeh tried inventing electricity?

Most people driving this tech thing are even drop outs, so make we no mention our uni or govt as excuses.

Our African spirit should be called to blame here.

It's all about our undying efforts..

Followed by seriousness.

Nigerians are suffering cos we lack innovative spirit that can create impact globally, not govt..

Govt is ur problem is wat they will tell to make u vote for them..

Vote Dem, they won't do anything..

(1) (Reply)

Free Training: C# And .net Core / Your Toughest Algorithm / Where Can I Learn Web Design And Graphics Design In Osogbo Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.