Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,478 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs (2614 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: 40,000 Jobs Threatened, Food Prices Soar - PUNCH / Dangote To Build Cement Factory In Adamawa, Over 10,000 Jobs To Be Created / Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 22, 2010
[size=28pt]Nigeria's refinery project to create 7,000 jobs[/size]

LAGOS — An estimated 7,000 jobs will be created in Nigeria's southern Bayelsa State when a refinery is built there in a joint project with China, state oil officials said on Thursday.

State-run Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) said in a statement that the Bayelsa refinery is one of three to be built across the country with a total installed capacity of 750,000 barrels per day.

The three 'Greenfield Refineries' will be located in Bayelsa, the commercial capital Lagos and central Kogi state, the statement said.

"An estimated 7,000 job opportunities would be up for grabs courtesy of the planned construction and operation of a Greenfield Refinery in Bayelsa State by the NNPC, in partnership with the China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC)," the statement said.

The lack of employment is often cited as one of the main causes of armed militancy in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

Two months ago, the NNPC signed an agreement with CSCEC to jointly seek debt financing from Chinese banks for the funding and construction of the three refineries and one petrochemical plant at a cost of 23 billion dollars in one of Africa's biggest tie-ups with China,

The Bayelsa refinery is expected to produce about 500,000 metric tonnes of liquefied petroleum gas per annum, NNPC director Billy Agha said.

During a meeting with NPPC and Chinese investors, Bayelsa Governor Timipre Sylva urged NNPC to establish the refinery in Oloibiri, the community where commercial crude oil exploration and production first began 53 years ago, the statement said.

The Lagos refinery alone will cost eight billion dollars.

The sprawling city of some 15 million people experiences regular power and fuel crises.

Officials said the refinery will have the capacity to refine 300,000 barrels of oil per day and 500,000 metric tonnes of liquefied petroleum gas per year.

The Chinese state firm will contribute 80 percent of the capital while the NNPC will take care of the remaining 20 percent, they said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ja9YJZ2FfiHLvJXHkaFke_lWXxJw
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by EzeUche(m): 6:50pm On Jul 22, 2010
More oil refineries need to be built in the Niger Delta.

I support this but more needs to happen.

Ileke-Idi, maybe you should come to the Niger Delta and see it for yourself.
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by TewMuch: 6:56pm On Jul 22, 2010
They should leave Lagos out of this. It is too crowded and polluted to be dealing with gas flares. What kind of crazy country is this? No planning at all. A whole commercial center will have a refinery smack in the middle of it. These Nigerian leaders are very crazy. angry
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 22, 2010
EzeUche:

More oil refineries need to be built in the Niger Delta.

I support this but more needs to happen.

Ileke-Idi, maybe you should come to the Niger Delta and see it for yourself.
I'm too precious to be kidnapped.

I'll stay in Ekiti State where everything is mellow and lovely lol.

If this will keep 7,000 criminals off the street, then I certainly support it
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 22, 2010
TewMuch, you're really too much lol.
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by EzeUche(m): 7:06pm On Jul 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I'm too precious to be kidnapped.

I'll stay in Ekiti State where everything is mellow and lovely lol.

If this will keep 7,000 criminals off the street, then I certainly support it

You wouldn't be kidnapped with me. wink

A core Igbo man be with you. Who knows those creeks better than us?
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 22, 2010
EzeUche:

Shey you? Me that can even take you down in a fight grin
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by EzeUche(m): 7:15pm On Jul 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Shey you? Me that can even take you down in a fight grin

I would love to see you try. You are talking to a wrestling champ. grin
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 22, 2010
LOL Uchenna, no thread derailing tongue
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by EzeUche(m): 7:19pm On Jul 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

LOL Uchenna, no thread derailing tongue

I don't intend on derailing ur thread. wink
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by chyz(m): 7:28pm On Jul 22, 2010
Not going to happen. There are already refineries in nigeria. what is stopping them from maintaining those and opening them back up? There's no way foreign countries who make money off of refining nigerians oil will allow this to happen. They will continue to higher or have the godfathers destroy the pipelines or completely sabotage the refinery. China's just in Nigeria to collect there money.They already know whats going to happen. 7,000 jobs? yeah right keep telling the public what they want to hear. they've been doing this same thing for all these years,each year, and still no real refineries.
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by ikenwan: 8:03pm On Jul 22, 2010
chyz:

Not going to happen. There are already refineries in nigeria.

There are already refineries in Nigeria, but in which parts of the country are those located? Refineries built in the Niger Delta, especially, should help begin to appease the issue some of the citizens of the Delta have with the state. And then, with the refineries located nearer to the pumps, those illegal gas flares should burn less frequently in places like Ebocha.
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by DisGuy: 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2010
EzeUche:

so you mean the Igbos know the creeks better than the Niger Deltans brrrrrrrrrrrrah i hail o

chyz:

Not going to happen. There are already refineries in nigeria. what is stopping them from maintaining those and opening them back up? There's no way foreign countries who make money off of refining nigerians oil will allow this to happen. They will continue to higher or have the godfathers destroy the pipelines or completely sabotage the refinery. China's just in Nigeria to collect there money.They already know whats going to happen. 7,000 jobs? yeah right keep telling the public what they want to hear. they've been doing this same thing for all these years,each year, and still no real refineries.

If the three in Nigeria are working at full capacity their output is still not enough for 1/3 of the country plus we need more gas for electricity

But I agree we signed a deal for the railway with the Chinese and nothings been heard ever since
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by Cohomology: 9:59pm On Jul 22, 2010
TewMuch:

They should leave Lagos out of this. It is too crowded  and polluted to be dealing with gas flares. What kind of crazy country is this? No planning at all. A whole commercial center will have a refinery smack in the middle of it. These Nigerian leaders are very crazy. angry

You now see why many Nigerians are tired of living in a country ruled, not governed, by fools of limitless capacity of exhibiting their foolishness?
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by TewMuch: 10:24pm On Jul 22, 2010
Cohomology:

You now see why many Nigerians are tired of living in a country ruled, not governed, by fools of limitless capacity of exhibiting their foolishness?

And the sick thing is Chinese people are even worse that Nigerians when it comes to environmental ethics or business ethics. None whatsoever. Nigerians always scream about not wanting to die, but all these nonsense their leaders do kill them faster than they can imagine. How much can you possibly pay a Nigerian as bribe to kill himself? I am thinking anything? No wonder the cases of cancer is rising and killing Nigerians like rats. Really Nigerians need to change. This is too stupid to be true.
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by Abagworo(m): 10:39pm On Jul 22, 2010
The largest refinery in Africa is located at Alesa-eleme near Port-Harcourt.Any visitor to that refinery will weep for Nigeria.Now they want to create more without maintaining the old ones.WITHER NAIJA?
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by olaolabiy: 1:12am On Jul 23, 2010
ileke
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by kildran: 10:00am On Jul 23, 2010
Cohomology:

TewMuch:

And the sick thing is Chinese people are even worse that Nigerians when it comes to environmental ethics or business ethics. None whatsoever. Nigerians always scream about not wanting to die, but all these nonsense their leaders do kill them faster than they can imagine. How much can you possibly pay a Nigerian as bribe to kill himself? I am thinking anything? No wonder the cases of cancer is rising and killing Nigerians like rats. Really Nigerians need to change. This is too silly to be true.

I think you guys are way wrong on this one, thats why its a greenfield refinery (Basically flares from the refinery will produce power). Much as I would like to bash our inept leaders, on this note its a prudent move.
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by paddylo1(m): 10:08am On Jul 23, 2010
They should leave Lagos out of this. It is too crowded and polluted to be dealing with gas flares. What kind of crazy country is this? No planning at all. A whole commercial center will have a refinery smack in the middle of it. These Nigerian leaders are very crazy

Theres nothing wrong with the project and your premise is dead wrong mate. . pls know something about how the world works before u run your mouth

There are lots of Refineries in Houston,There tons of refineries in Singapore a tiny city state more dense and with less space than lagos
There are 2 refineries in Philadelphia where i reside. . .

And the refinery will be located in the Lekki Free trade zone,an industrial zone on the edge of Lagos. . not the middle of it. . .

U guys in Nairaland come online everyday,display your ignorance and foolish ones readilly agree with u. . . . cool
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by paddylo1(m): 10:10am On Jul 23, 2010
The largest refinery in Africa is located at Alesa-eleme near Port-Harcourt.Any visitor to that refinery will weep for Nigeria.Now they want to create more without maintaining the old ones.WITHER NAIJA?

Its not a question of Wither Naija. . GOVT cant run business period. . .
Give that refinery to DANGOTE and see if it doesnt start working to capacity in 2yrs. . . .
Re: Nigeria's Refinery Project To Create 7,000 Jobs by paddylo1(m): 10:12am On Jul 23, 2010

No homie u are the one displaying your foolishness. . . . .i think i should start going after every ignorant Nairaland poster
If i had a dollar for every one of u. . id definitely be rich. . . . shocked

(1) (Reply)

WATCH your money GROW from zero investment TO 500,000 NAIRA / Fund Your Moneybookers/ Paypal Account With Naira / Where Would You By This Saisho 3-in-1 Blender?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.