Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,236 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? (4144 Views)

Phone Manufacturers Are Removing The 3.5mm Earpiece Port. What Do You Think? / Companies that mocked Apple for removing the charger, will do the same now / Do You Know What The White Or Black Stripes On Your Earpiece Jack do ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 2:19pm On Nov 16, 2018
Attaching an earpiece to your phone to listen music is getting old fashioned as many phonemakers prefer bluetooth headphones, So i got realy inquisitive about this and decided to search google, i came across some interesting answers from several Phonemakers

Apple: Saving Space
It was holding us back from a number of things we wanted to put into the iPhone. It was fighting for space with camera technologies and processors and battery life. And frankly, when there's a better, modern solution available, it's crazy to keep it around.  — Dan Riccio VP of hardware engineering@ apple.

HTC: Audio Quality
We removed the headphone jack because we believe the audio experience on the phone can be so much more than just the simple transmission of sound. The sonar-like capabilities of USonic wouldn't be possible with a 3.5mm headphone jack. We have microphones built into both earbuds that "listen" for sonic pulses, which can then adjust your audio to match your ears' unique architecture. We believe the market is ready to push audio into new innovations that benefit consumers' listening experience.  — HTC

Google: Future-Proofing Design
The primary reason for dropping the jack is establishing a mechanical design path for the future. We want the display to go closer and closer to the edge. Our team said, 'if we're going to make the shift, let's make it sooner, rather than later.' Last year may have been too early. Now there are more phones on the market.  — Mario Queiroz, Google

Razer: More Space for Battery
By removing the headphone jack - we were able to increase the battery size significantly (I estimate we added 500maH more), improve thermals for performance and a whole lot more. The trade off was not having the jack - but what sealed it for me was that we were able to get audiophile quality sound with the dedicated 24- Bit THX Certified DAC adapter - and I made sure we included that with every phone. Which basically means we give even better quality headphone audio for those who want to hold on to their analog headphones.  — Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan

Motorola: Thinner Phones
While Motorola didn't give a statement as to why they removed the headphone jack, the Moto Z launch event provides pretty solid insight. At that event, Motorola extensively detailed the steps taken to slim down the overall thickness of the phone. The slimmer chassis was necessary to accommodate the new Moto Mods attachments on the back. From this, we can infer that the removal of the headphone jack can be at least partially attributed to a need for a slimmer body.
Are all these reasons justifiable for removing our lovely headphone jack from recent midrange or flagship phones https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/news/what-every-major-phone-gained-by-removing-headphone-jack-0181462/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by OneGeek(m): 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2018
For every reason these companies gave, Samsung achieved it all... With the jack.

19 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by OneGeek(m): 3:19pm On Nov 16, 2018
For every reason these companies gave, Samsung achieved it all... With the jack...

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:59pm On Nov 16, 2018
OneGeek:
For every reason these companies gave, Samsung achieved it all... With the jack...
Thats one thing i respect them for, samsung doesnt copy, they innovate,they are the only phonemaker that stayed away from the notch trend, kudos to them!!!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by okwabayi(m): 5:40pm On Nov 16, 2018
It's the new fad. I don't care for an old outdated port, I welcome the future with open arms.
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by certifiedvik(m): 6:30pm On Nov 16, 2018
rubbish
leeco achieved it all in 2016
Check all their phone review online

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Maro4u(m): 8:22pm On Nov 16, 2018
the simple fact is that they want more sales on their headset gadgets too, if u do ur research well phone manufacturers all have their different kinds of bluetooth headset with less sales cause of these wire earphones... After a confrence on the matter i guess their conclusion was to find different excuses to make we the customer have no choice than increase their sales on their different headphones brand as they do the needed advance mobile tech by scrapping out the earphone port. Good though

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 8:25pm On Nov 16, 2018
okwabayi:
It's the new fad. I don't care for an old outdated port, I welcome the future with open arms.
but while u are embracing the future take note that apple wireless airpods costs around #55k on jumia, left to apple we would have been doomed, thanks to xaiomi and others that produced cheaper ones, although not still cheap persay with theirs going for $30 around 10k!!!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 8:32pm On Nov 16, 2018
Maro4u:
the simple fact is that they want more sales on their headset gadgets too, if u do ur research well phone manufacturers all have their different kinds of bluetooth headset with less sales cause of these wire earphones... After a confrence on the matter i guess their conclusion was to find different excuses to make we the customer have no choice than increase their sales on their different headphones brand as they do the needed advance mobile tech by scrapping out the earphone port. Good though
shockedshocked
wait a second, i thought wireless headphones are included in the box of phones without the jack, and u will only need to purchase one if the original(follow come) ones gets bad or missing...
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Maro4u(m): 8:46pm On Nov 16, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
shockedshocked
wait a second, i thought wireless headphones are included in the box of phones without the jack, and u will only need to purchase one if the original(follow come) ones gets bad or missing...
No they r not, except on promotion sales or special models of phones which are very rare, besides if its to be that way price of phones will go up having an airpod or any of it kind as an open box assesory... And it still wnt change the headphones sale idea cause it not permanent
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by jom28gy(m): 8:46pm On Nov 16, 2018
are you sure they are the ones removing them
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Collins4u1(m): 8:52pm On Nov 16, 2018
OneGeek:

Achieved what, phone wey battery no dey last no be phone. na TV
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Maro4u(m): 8:53pm On Nov 16, 2018
apart from the purpose of sale, for a slimer device and a holographic device to surface not jst the earphone port the charging port too needs togo wireless

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by OneGeek(m): 9:24pm On Nov 16, 2018
Collins4u1:

Achieved what, phone wey battery no dey last no be phone. na TV
Samsung phones do well battery-wise when compared to all those companies up there...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by flexerking(m): 9:44pm On Nov 16, 2018
certifiedvik:
rubbish

leeco achieved it all in 2016

Check all their phone review online
yh they were one of first to drop it
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Olodo24: 9:59pm On Nov 16, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
Thats one thing i respect them for, samsung doesnt copy, they innovate,they are the only phonemaker that stayed away from the notch trend, kudos to them!!!
staying away from the notch trend isn't anything to applaud. It means they're not up to date because surely, they'll dive into it someday and it'll be stale by then. see how Nokia ignored Android when they had the opportunity of setting the Android pace but still ran back to it in order to keep up with the competition when it had become nothing special. There's nothing better than going with a development when it's the in thing.

Do you know many people that are ready to spend a lot on a phone just to feel what notch truly represents?

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 10:12pm On Nov 16, 2018
Olodo24:
staying away from the notch trend isn't anything to applaud. It means they're not up to date because surely, they'll dive into it someday and it'll be stale by then. see how Nokia ignored Android when they had the opportunity of setting the Android pace but still ran back to it in order to keep up with the competition when it had become nothing special. There's nothing better than going with a development when it's the in thing.

Do you know many people that are ready to spend a lot on a phone just to feel what notch truly represents?
Very true, but u know the thing is Samsung, like apple, has established a strong ground in the hearts of consumers,so they dont "feel threatened" by not having a notch,just like apple not having dual sim card space for a long time but their fans just had to bear with that, come to think of it, one purpose of the notch was for beauty/asthetics and hell samsung flagships are still stunning without a notch!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Maro4u(m): 10:18pm On Nov 16, 2018
instead of the notch samsung have something big in mind...
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by flexerking(m): 10:21pm On Nov 16, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
Attaching an earpiece to your phone to listen music is getting old fashioned as many phonemakers prefer bluetooth headphones, So i got realy inquisitive about this and decided to search google, i came across some interesting answers from several Phonemakers

Apple: Saving Space
It was holding us back from a number of things we wanted to put into the iPhone. It was fighting for space with camera technologies and processors and battery life. And frankly, when there's a better, modern solution available, it's crazy to keep it around.  — Dan Riccio VP of hardware engineering@ apple.

HTC: Audio Quality
We removed the headphone jack because we believe the audio experience on the phone can be so much more than just the simple transmission of sound. The sonar-like capabilities of USonic wouldn't be possible with a 3.5mm headphone jack. We have microphones built into both earbuds that "listen" for sonic pulses, which can then adjust your audio to match your ears' unique architecture. We believe the market is ready to push audio into new innovations that benefit consumers' listening experience.  — HTC

Google: Future-Proofing Design
The primary reason for dropping the jack is establishing a mechanical design path for the future. We want the display to go closer and closer to the edge. Our team said, 'if we're going to make the shift, let's make it sooner, rather than later.' Last year may have been too early. Now there are more phones on the market.  — Mario Queiroz, Google

Razer: More Space for Battery
By removing the headphone jack - we were able to increase the battery size significantly (I estimate we added 500maH more), improve thermals for performance and a whole lot more. The trade off was not having the jack - but what sealed it for me was that we were able to get audiophile quality sound with the dedicated 24- Bit THX Certified DAC adapter - and I made sure we included that with every phone. Which basically means we give even better quality headphone audio for those who want to hold on to their analog headphones.  — Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan

Motorola: Thinner Phones
While Motorola didn't give a statement as to why they removed the headphone jack, the Moto Z launch event provides pretty solid insight. At that event, Motorola extensively detailed the steps taken to slim down the overall thickness of the phone. The slimmer chassis was necessary to accommodate the new Moto Mods attachments on the back. From this, we can infer that the removal of the headphone jack can be at least partially attributed to a need for a slimmer body.
Are all these reasons justifiable for removing our lovely headphone jack from recent midrange or flagship phones https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/news/what-every-major-phone-gained-by-removing-headphone-jack-0181462/
bunch of useless excuse if they were serious they would add wireless earpod as courtesy of removing the jack.

hw dare them call it innovative when they are gonna add a wired earpod(apple self just commot dongle join)
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Olodo24: 10:49pm On Nov 16, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
Very true, but u know the thing is Samsung, like apple, has established a strong ground in the hearts of consumers,so they dont "feel threatened" by not having a notch,just like apple not having dual sim card space for a long time but their fans just had to bear with that, come to think of it, one purpose of the notch was for beauty/asthetics and hell samsung flagships are still stunning without a notch!!!
yeah they have die hard fans but Samsung devices basically have the same design. remember when Apple phones had just tiny screens? They thought it wouldn't hurt their sales but they started making phones with bigger screens after they realized that they people of the World were embracing bigger screens. They need to embrace notch or create something better but similar to notch.
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by 1zynnvn(m): 1:11am On Nov 17, 2018
Olodo24:
yeah they have die hard fans but Samsung devices basically have the same design. remember when Apple phones had just tiny screens? They thought it wouldn't hurt their sales but they started making phones with bigger screens after they realized that they people of the World were embracing bigger screens. They need to embrace notch or create something better but similar to notch.

Samsung embrace which fvcking notch. After all the trolling on apple for that stupid notch. Go to YouTube and google samsung S10, Sammy is coming with something big, in screen camera is coming to the tech world.
Fvck iPhone with their stupid notch, Fvck Pixel for copying , fvck xiaomi for ripping too, fvck infinix, techno is bringing their notch version soon, what do they know. Fvck them too. And all the notchy fvcking phones out there, a truck load of Fvck you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by OLAKAD: 2:26am On Nov 17, 2018
flexerking:
bunch of useless excuse if they were serious they would add wireless earpod as courtesy of removing the jack.

hw dare them call it innovative when they are gonna add a wired earpod(apple self just commot dongle join)
lol grin
you have a point though
The future is here mate.
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by OLAKAD: 2:39am On Nov 17, 2018
So guys this right here is the game of Thrones, sorry Phones.

Apple, Samsung, Tecno, etc all see themselves and know the direction the future is tending towards and no one wants to make the mistake of being left behind and sticking to their pride like Nokia and Blackberry did in the past and are now behind,

If the future says no earphone jacks then its a no-no for them.

They have all projected and seen what we probably will see after now and follow suit.

For me as a Techpreneur I an industry that evolves rapidly I always have to stay ahead by foreseeing the future direction and latching on to it with products and services that cater to the recent innovations otherwise Nokia and Blackberry will be my name grin( I Love these brands though)

I recently started a Vlog showcasing how I run my tech business in Nigeria so If you'd like to get an insight link up ASAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dRo5_sUGNk

The above link is to share my ups and downs and hope some one gets value from it. HOLLA!
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Snixdave113: 3:03am On Nov 17, 2018
Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Daevid(m): 5:49am On Nov 17, 2018
you're a deep thinker!!!!!!
OneGeek:
For every reason these companies gave, Samsung achieved it all... With the jack.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by zeanslim(m): 6:24am On Nov 17, 2018
Wireless ear bud have too many disadvantages.

1)Too expensive.

2)Easily damaged or misplaced.

3)Needs charging , a low headphone ..means no music for you.

4)Doesn't support backwards compatibility I.e You can't easily connect it to older technology like aux that requires a headphone Jack to work.

5)Not flexible, you may need an extra dongle which you will also pay for to have an headphone Jack feature.

6)Audio output quality is still below par compared to a wired headphone.

7)kills your phone battery faster via it's Bluetooth technology which kinda crush the idea of removing the headphone Jack for a larger battery.

coolLastly ..it's not fancy or new cause phones with the traditional headphone jack can still use a wireless headphone.

BEST GAMING PHONES TO PLAY GAMES SMOOTHLY

Verdict : It's a total trash and too early to be introduced.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 7:47am On Nov 17, 2018
flexerking:

Thats one thing i dont like about apple, those guys dont consider the desires of their fans just to keep making huge profits, when they replaced the home fingerprint scanner with face ID in iphone x, many of their fans were clamouring for in display(on screen) fingerprint scanner on the next set of iphones to be released, but hell no apple wont give them that, probably because that would reduce the huge profits they make a little!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Phonemakers Removing The Headphone(Earpiece) Jack?? by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 17, 2018
UK used LG g5 is available for just 34k. Dm 08082457319 for more details

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tecno M3 Is Operating Itself / What Type Of Phone Can I Get For 30,000 / How To Browse Any Site For Free On All Networks Using Freebasics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.