Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,082 members, 7,825,410 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Vogts Wants German-nigerians In Eagles: - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Vogts Wants German-nigerians In Eagles: (982 Views)

Yobo Wants More Foreign Pros In Eagles Defence / Scuffle In Eagles Camp As Nff Officials Trade Blows / Is This A Joke? Shaibu Amodu Includes Kayode Odejayi In Eagles Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vogts Wants German-nigerians In Eagles: by seun70(m): 6:33pm On Apr 11, 2007
Hi all, grin

What do you guys fink. Berti Vogts is trying to include two 'half german / half nigerians' into the niger squad. Is it woth it.
Bearing in mind that 'Dual nationality' is not allowed in Germany, therefore, to be able to play for nigeria, they would have to renounce thier german citizenship and adopt nigerian citizenship.

This is possible though, as they both have nigerian fathers,
Chinedu Ede (striker: Hertha Berlin)
Dennis Aogo (midfielder: SC Freiburg)

Is it worth the hassle?/

Over to you HOUSE.
Re: Vogts Wants German-nigerians In Eagles: by Seun(m): 6:40pm On Apr 11, 2007
Source, sir?
Re: Vogts Wants German-nigerians In Eagles: by seun70(m): 6:43pm On Apr 11, 2007
Hi Seun (admin)

Daily Sun (Wednesday 11, 2007)

•Aogo & Ede
Re: Vogts Wants German-nigerians In Eagles: by seun70(m): 6:45pm On Apr 11, 2007
Re: Vogts Wants German-nigerians In Eagles: by 9ja4eva: 7:54pm On Apr 11, 2007
Nigeria chase German-born duo
By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport, Lagos

Berti Vogts hops that Berlin-born Chinedu Ede will play for Nigeria

Nigeria manager Berti Vogts says he is keen on having Germany-based Chinedu Ede and Dennis Aogo play for the Super Eagles.

Ede, who currently plays as a striker with German club Hertha Berlin, has already featured for Germany's under-19, 20 and 21 sides.

The German coach is also looking in the direction of SC Freiburg midfielder Dennis Aogo, another member of the German under-21 side who could switch allegiance to Nigeria under new Fifa rules.

Fifa's rules on international eligibility allow a footballer capped at junior level to represent another country as long as he possesses dual nationality and makes the request to change nationality while under the age of 21.

Bright prospects

Vogts is hoping to persuade the duo to play in Nigeria's subsequent 2008 African Cup of Nations qualifying campaign.

"They are both bright prospects that will bring so much to the Nigerian team," Vogts said.

"They qualify to play for Nigeria because of their fathers and I have been monitoring their performances.

I've read about Berti Vogt's interest (in me) and it would be a great achievement to play for Nigeria

Dennis Aogo

"Even though they've played for the German youth sides, I am hoping that with the new Fifa rule we can have them play for the Nigeria national team," Vogts said.

Berlin-born Chinedu Ede has a German mother but his father comes from Enugu State, eastern Nigeria, he is also still only 20-years-old.

Dream come true

Karlsruhe-born Dennis Aogo, has been with Freiburg since August 2002 and has a German mother while his father comes from Nigeria's south-western state of Ondo.

The 20-year-old Aogo had apparently been keen on playing for Nigeria in the past but accepted a German under-21 call-up when he felt he had been overlooked by handlers of the country's youth sides.

"It will be a dream come true to play for Nigeria someday, I think my father would really be proud of me.

"I have a Nigerian team mate [defender Seyi Olajengbesi] and I know a lot about the country from him, my father and from my last visit there in 2005.

"I've read about Berti Vogt's interests in me and it would be a great achievement to play for Nigeria," Aogo explained.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/6542049.stm

Sounds good though

(1) (Reply)

Muda Fcuka's / Africa X1 Vrs World X1 / 2014 World Cup Qualifiers Latest Scores - October 7, 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.