Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,754 members, 7,851,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:39 PM

The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance (614 Views)

Snake We Killed At Our Office Today / Have You Ever Walked With Someone That Greets The Whole Community? / Meet Vera Biayeibo, Widow Who Produces & Sells Soaps To Cater For Her Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by Vocnewsblog(m): 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2018
Mrs. Amaka Okeke, is a young widow, who lost her husband, a police officer serving in Plateau State, to a tragic illness in November. Since then, life has been painfully difficult for her and her lovely twin daughters.

In order to survive, she took to selling Okpa (Maize cake), which she hawks from place to place and the little money she makes from the business is barely enough to cater for herself and her children. She lives in Ogba, but most times she would have to trek to Ikeja, and Oregun carrying the food on her head looking for whom to buy.

On this fateful day last week, after she had spent hours trekking all around Ikeja, with no sales and considering the fact that she would need to go back home with some food for her kids, she stumbled on the banner display of our Widow’s Empowerment Project, at the entrance of our office gate.

Without hesitation, she dashed into our office requesting to see us for a possible assistance. The Admin officer, who received her, said she broke down immediately crying bitterly while narrating her ordeal.

“Please help me I am a widow, this is what I sell (showing the Okpa), since morning I have not sold anything and I don’t know how to face my kids if I go home this evening without buying some food for them...” she broke down again crying more profusely. It took the Admin officer and some other staff in the office almost an hour to calm her down, assuring her that we would visit her and offer any assistance to her within our capacity. Eventually, she was given some money to buy some food to feed the kids for that day, with a promise to visit her the following day.

The following day, The Admin Officer paid her visit, to know where she lives and also confirm her story.

Mrs Okeke is a resident of 28, Moyo Agoro Street, off Kayode Street, Ogba, Lagos. She is 40yrs old and before the demise of her husband, they both had a set of twin girls – Faith and Favour. Her husband was a Police officer who was posted to Jos, Plateau State, where he had a stroke in 2013 and finally passed on 2 years after.

After the death of her husband, life became turbulent. She was down with Appendicitis which led to a surgical operation. Luckily, she was able to afford the operation, some of her church members and her immediate family supported with some money. The little money she saved while working with Multi-choice Communications as a cleaner went down with the ailment.

She was even advised by the doctor not to engage in any hard labour that could complicate her medical condition. But the need for survival had pushed her to hawk which could adversely affect her condition.

Now she has no money and her daughters are no longer going to school because she can’t afford to pay for their school fees. They are just 6yrs old, but they are very intelligent and beautiful. Mrs Okeke has also been pursuing her husband’s entitlement from the Nigeria Police Force since 2015 till now without much success. So sad!

Mrs. Amaka Okeke’s story is heartbreaking, indeed!

Today, the Voice of Divine Truth International Outreach Team will be visiting her to make a presentation of ₦20,000 to her, to enable her to start a more profitable business. She intends to start selling cooked food like rice, beans, etc...

Beloved, Mrs. Okeke needs more assistance: her kids are out of school; her house rent has expired since 2017 (she is lucky to have a landlord that is considerate), her business can be expanded.

CC: Mynd44, Seun, Lalasticlala, Rocktation,

Re: The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by Thewesterner(m): 1:19pm On Nov 17, 2018
Hmmmmm... So touching

God heal our world of human inhumanity to fellow human...
Re: The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by Vocnewsblog(m): 1:24pm On Nov 17, 2018
CC: Omooba77, FOD, r231, OAM4J, ijebabe.
Re: The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by OgogoroFreak(m): 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2018
She is a scammer. Get her and her kids arrested!
Re: The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by TINTINABULATION(m): 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2018
The solution to her problem is quite easy.

Tell her to relocate out of Lagos to a relatively cheap city, like Abeokuta, Ilishan, Akure etc. She will get an affordable Nursery & Primary School/accommodation there as against Ikeja. It's not by force to die in Lagos.

I wish her well.
Re: The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by Vocnewsblog(m): 3:25pm On Nov 17, 2018
OgogoroFreak:
She is a scammer. Get her and her kids arrested!
Do you have proof to your claims that she is a scammer?
Re: The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by Vocnewsblog(m): 3:27pm On Nov 17, 2018
TINTINABULATION:
The solution to her problem is quite easy.

Tell her to relocate out of Lagos to a relatively cheap city, like Abeokuta, Ilishan, Akure etc. She will get an affordable Nursery & Primary School/accommodation there as against Ikeja. It's not by force to die in Lagos.

I wish her well.
Thanks for your suggestion but have you thought about if she doesn't have anyone over there just as she didn't have right here in Lagos. We continue to pray for God's providence all will be fine with her.
Re: The Touching Story Of A Widow Who Walked Into Our Office Asking For Assistance by TINTINABULATION(m): 5:15pm On Nov 17, 2018
Vocnewsblog:

Thanks for your suggestion but have you thought about if she doesn't have anyone over there just as she didn't have right here in Lagos. We continue to pray for God's providence all will be fine with her.

Ihdinas-Siraat-Al-Mustaqeem

(1) (Reply)

Collation Of Presidential Election Results So Far From 11 States And Fct (abuja) / Coca-cola To Donate N3.8bn To 15 Hospitals In Nigeria / Nairaland Is Trending On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.