Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,772 members, 7,813,560 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu (2353 Views)

How To Create A Proper Balanced Diet With Nigerian Food / How To Prepare A Balanced Diet With Nigerian Food / How To Lose Weight With Keto Diet Using Nigerian Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu by gideonjeta(m): 1:10pm On Nov 18, 2018
Most people give up on a balanced diet because they are confused on how to combine homemade food like eba or amala into their diet. Eating a balanced diet is not an expensive endeavour rather by implementing Nigerian foods into your balanced diet plan will make your healthy eating goal achievable.

To create a menu for the week or month, you need to understand the classes of nutrients below:

Carbohydrates
They are an excellent source of energy and should comprise sixty percent of a person’s diet.
Sources of carbohydrate: Wheat, maize, corn, millet, oats, rice, flour, pasta or noodles, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, sugar, eba, amala and popcorn are all sources of carbohydrate.

Vitamins
There are so many essential vitamins today, but your focus should be directed on the intake of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B, and vitamin D.
Sources of vitamins: Pumpkin leaves (ugu), orange, sugarcane, pawpaw, watermelon, tangerine and other fruits are major sources of vitamins.

Minerals
Minerals aid with the release of energy from food items, plus they interact with the organs to promote growth. For example, iron helps with energy, while calcium works towards bone and teeth development but the most important ones in the diet are iodine, potassium, sodium, etc.
Sources of minerals: Milk, salt, red meat, fish, potatoes, rice and other foods are primary sources of minerals.

Unsaturated fats
Many people avoid fat thinking they cause weight gain, but this is far from the truth. Healthy fats or those derived from good sources are dairy products, meat, and fish.
Unsaturated fats regulate the body temperature, the absorption of vitamins and help with slow energy release which is perfect for long-distance runners.
Sources of unsaturated fats: Salmon fish, olive oil, skimmed milk, avocado, peanut butter, sardines and many more.

Protein
Protein comes mainly from meat, but dietary recommendations suggest that you get it mostly from lean meat sources. They primarily help with the development of skin, hair, and muscles.
Sources of protein: Meat, fish, nuts, eggs, beans, milk, pork, yoghurt are important readily available sources of protein.

Fibre
This class of nutrition helps to keep your cholesterol levels in check and aids with proper digestion.
Sources of fibre-rich food: Oatmeal, roughage of orange, vegetables, brown rice, banana, apples, mango, and potatoes are all sources of fibre.

Water
Fizzy drinks, coffee, tea, and juice drinks cannot provide the same goodness as water. Suggested intake of water is at least eight glasses a day to help keep the body hydrated.

Proposed balanced diet plan for a week
Sunday
Breakfast: Boiled yam, vegetable, fish stew, beverage and water.
Lunch: Jollof rice, plantain, meat/chicken in fried pepper and water.
Dinner: Sweet potatoes, egg with vegetables and water.

Monday
Breakfast: Bread, peanut butter, tea and water.
Lunch: Jollof spaghetti with vegetable and chicken/meat.
Dinner: Yam pottage with vegetables and fish.

Tuesday
Breakfast: Pancake, beverage and water.
Lunch: Eba/amala, soup (okro/ewedu/ugwu), meat/fish and water.
Dinner: Irish potatoes (grilled), fish stew and water

Wednesday
Breakfast: Bread, sardine and water
Lunch: Pounded yam, soup (ogbono/egusi), shaki/meat and water.
Dinner: Spaghetti and corn beef stew

Thursday
Breakfast: Breakfast cereal, milk and water
Lunch: Beans pottage with boiled yam and water
Dinner: White rice, vegetable sauce, plantain and chicken

Friday
Breakfast: Bread, pepper stew, meat/chicken and water
Lunch: Concoction rice with shredded fish or saki or pomo, water and apple
Dinner: Yam pottage with vegetable and meat/turkey

Saturday
Breakfast: Moi moi, pap, water and watermelon/pineapple
Lunch: Pounded yam, water and ofe nsala
Dinner: Macaroni with mixed vegetables, meat/fish, water and any fruit.

The key to a balanced diet is incorporating each class of food as much as possible in a day’s meal.

https://www.nigerialog.com/food/how-to-create-a-balanced-diet-plan-for-a-week-using-nigerian-menu/new/#new

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu by symbianDON(m): 1:36pm On Nov 18, 2018
op thanks a million.....I hope this makes fp
Re: How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu by Dunnytt: 2:13pm On Nov 18, 2018
Op thanks for taking your time to write out this but I think you actually left out one IMPORTANT life saver since 1489...........Garri!,especially with sugar+cold water+milk+groundnut or fried fish.

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu by Mariangeles(f): 5:44pm On Nov 18, 2018
Nice...
Re: How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu by Femoje(m): 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2018
If you are interested in setting up a bakery and you want to know more about the business and how to maximize profit.. we do general bakery consult, Production Cost analysis, Production cost reduction and recipes. Whatsapp: 08173857040
Re: How To Create A Balanced Diet Plan For A Week Using Nigerian Menu by uraniumman(m): 11:42am On May 28, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing this ! I am trying to lose some weight, and I need to eat only good and healthy food. I am sure that this information that you have shared is very useful, but it's pretty difficult for me to count all these Vitamins, Carbohydrates, Minerals, Proteins and so on. I have recently found some very effective diets on https://www.greenrunnerbean.com and started using them. It's much easier to choose a diet and just stick to it, than to count everything by yourself. I have already lost 3kg and I am so happy! I feel much better now.

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Amazing Fast-food Restaurants In Nigeria 2020 / Mind Blowing Facts You Didn't Know About Food!(photos) / Pure Water Now Sells For N20 Per Sachet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.