Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Rape (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Rape (A Short Story) (2358 Views)

Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* / Behind The Mask - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 6:53am On Nov 19, 2018
It is mine and hopefully you do not take it without my permission because you will be found out.

This is fictional and any resemblance with any person, place or event is completely coincidental.

RAPE
EPISODE 1

Uwo is a village tucked in the rich forest region of the South of the Republic. The village have a rich cultural heritage which they have preserved even with the arrival of modernity and its cultural disruptive goods. The people lived a simple life as they were mostly satisfied with the little they have. All families owned a piece of land where they farmed, the produce were most times enough for their daily needs all through the period of crop planting. After their normal day’s job the men and children always gathered at the town hall where all kinds of social activities and entertainment take place. On the outside they were a very happy and contented group of people.

The arrival of the National Oil Company brought a sudden change to the scheme of things. Suddenly they had prosperity knocking on their door even as word went around that the ‘Black Gold’ had been found in their land. Some top Government officials had visited and meetings had been held in the city to discuss the various processes that would be involved in the exploration and production of that beautiful resource which was capable of changing their beautiful land. The people were suddenly happy at the enormous riches that may soon be realised from their land. The elders burdened down with the complex negotiations that would follow in the drafting of the rules of engagement summoned Omoefe.

Omoefe was one of the shining star of the land. He had lived in the land until his final year in secondary school. A provincial academic competition was held and he came out as the best after the results were released. The people were honoured to have a winner who had won something of such importance in the whole of the province. A huge celebration was held by the community in his honour. The celebration brought everybody in the community together including women and children. There was enough food and drinks to go round. After much discussion and couple of tributes the chief stood up to round up the evening meet.

“People of Uwo we are indeed glad to hold this special meeting which is a tribute to our brilliant son. I must confess that I am happy and the fact that you all have gathered here is an evidence of how much pride his achievement has brought to us. Thank you all for coming and at this junction, I will ask for patience as the occasion demands that the celebrant address the people.”

Omoefe rose up from his seat to loud cheers from the people. He was tall, dark and had an athletic build. He had celebrated his seventeenth birthday some days ago. He walked confidently to where the chairman was standing on the podium. The chairman shook his hand and stepped away from the podium. There in the lantern lit room, he had an unimaginable charm as silence descended on the gathering
“Good day all,” he began. “I want to sincerely appreciate you all for celebrating this achievement. I am indeed humbled and I have a plea…”

The silence grew intense even as everyone strained to hear the plea. The birds and all other creatures around most have taken cue as everywhere suddenly became still.

“I desire to study Law in the university.”

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by ritababe(f): 7:21am On Nov 19, 2018
continue

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Ann2012(f): 8:12am On Nov 19, 2018
Following

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 6:34am On Nov 20, 2018
The Chairman suddenly went numb. It was a curious decision to make as the village knew of no other profession but teaching. The few that went to school in the past had ended up as teachers. Omoefe looked at the crowd and then at the chairman. The quiet that replaced his statement reverberated in his mind. The Chairman ushered the young man down the podium before dismissing the people.

Unfortunately it seemed the carpet had been removed from the people’s feet as everybody went home stunned by the decision of their young hero.

The Chairman was unwilling to let the matter go on till the next day. He called the elders to an urgent meeting in his house. Omoefe was also included in the people who converged in the expansive compound of the Chairman. Once a lamp had been placed on a tree trunk which illuminated the whole environment, the meeting began.

“My Elders, this meeting will be brief hence I plead for your attention.”

The chairman began and pointing to Omoefe, “…we all know that this boy had done what no one has ever done in the history of this village. I gave him the grace to address us because he is the reason why we celebrated and I know his request ended our day in an unusual way. I have called this meeting for us to unravel this mystery.”

A murmur of approval followed and the Chairman bowed his head in agreement. Omoefe suddenly felt the gaze of the men on him and turned to look at the Chairman who urged him to go to the middle and address the honourable gathering. He walked slowly to the middle and took a stand.

“First of all, I appreciate you all for celebrating me. My fathers, I made the request as a result of my need for more finance besides the scholarship given to me by the government so that my dream may come to pass. I have little understanding of what a lawyer does but I think that is something I can do with all my heart.”

Silence followed his last word. The Chairman gave room for as many who was ready to contribute to the decision making process. After much discussion, the elders decided that they would help but on the condition that the finances needed would be within their wherewithal. The Elders left once they had arrived at this decision.

The headmaster of the village’s only secondary school was contacted and he sent a mail to the city where the university was located. The information they requested came two weeks after and the headmaster explained everything to the chairman. The Chairman called a meeting the evening of that same day and he read all of the information to them. The Elders were quite receptive of the idea and they gave their seal of approval. The Chairman checked the treasury of the community and saw that the boy’s need was likely going to take up most of the savings. He decided to call a meeting of the men in the community to decide on how best to fund Omoefe’s education. The men were not quite receptive of the idea of funding the boy’s education with the bulk of the community’s resources but the chairman was able to convince them and they agreed.

Omoefe resumed as a student of the University of Midwest at the start of the next section. He did very well and graduated as one of the best students in his class. The University governing authorities were pleased with his stunning performance and they decided to send him to one of the best universities in England for further studies. The people of Uwo were proud of their son and themselves knowing they had contributed to his success.

Omoefe performed very well in graduate school and came out as one of the best students. He was faced with a choice of remaining in England or a return to the Republic. He decided to return home and on his return he was employed in one of the best law firm in the country.

Despite his humble roots he had risen up the ladder to make a name for himself. The people of Uwo were satisfied with the fact that their son had not misused the opportunity given to him and they gradually accepted the fact that their interest was going to be served regardless of where he had chosen to work. Omoefe was able to balance the expectation of the people with that of his as he made huge contribution to the development of the land in cash and kind. After serving several years in the private sector he made the decision to go into politics as he knew that was going to be the best place for him to represent his people.

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 11:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
Years after and Omoefe had grown beyond his wildest imaginations. He was forty-three years old, a senior Advocate with a promising law practice. He had a family which included his beautiful wife and two boys and a girl. His short sojourn on Earth had seen him go to places that none of his kinsmen could even dream of.

He was a role model to the old and young in his village. Therefore he had taken active interest in the Crude Oil exploration deal between the Government and the various Multinational companies who were interested in drilling crude oil. He had informed his town’s people of his visit on that day which was going to be a Friday. An agreement had been reached and he was going to discuss the details with them before the final signing will take place.
He left the city for the village at noon and got there in time before the sun went for its daily rest. The Chairman had news of his coming announced and the people declared a bounteous reception. On the evening of his arrival, a huge reception was held to honour him.

Omote sang with joy and finesse as the men and ladies. She was easily the most beautiful girl in the village and the addition of her sonorous voice made her a unique blend of beauty and skill. She was one of the best musicians in the village and had grown to become a popular voice in the province. Despite her popularity she was down-to-earth and had a charming smile which endeared many to her. She could rightly be called the ‘pride of the village’.

Omoefe had arrived the gathering while she was still singing to the cheers of the crowd. He was impressed by her beautiful rendition. Until then he had no knowledge of her but once he heard her voice and saw her beauty, he decided to inquire about her. He turned to Areghe, the young ebullient secretary of the community who had been his close companion since the negotiation with the government started.

‘’Who is that girl?” Omoefe asked.

‘’She is Omote,’’ Areghe replied in the affirmative.

Omoefe nodded his head and smiled at the thought of having her. Despite all of his admirable qualities, he had a ravenous appetite for keeping mistresses. He just couldn’t wait to add Omote to his lengthy list.

‘’I like her,’’ he said loud enough for Areghe to hear.

‘’She is engaged,’’ Areghe retorted.

Areghe knew the kind of man he was dealing with hence he tried to make his announcement as stern as possible. He had since curtailed the respect he had for Omoefe once he discovered his habit of keeping mistresses. Omoefe grinned at the warning, he had made up his mind and he wasn’t going to wait any longer. He called one of the girls who was serving the people and gave her a note to give to Omote. He made it as discreet as possible as he was not willing to let Areghe into the knowledge of such transaction. Once the message had been served to Omote, he licked his lips in anticipation of the revelry that awaited him that night. Once the reception was over, he and the elders held a meeting.

Afterwards, he drove his car down a bush path to his house which was just at the outskirt of the village. He made out the silhouette of a lady with the aid of the glow of the moon. He got down after he parked the car and walked through the dimly lit way to meet her.

“Good evening Sir,” Omote greeted.

“Good evening beautiful Omote,” he replied enthusiastically.

He fondled with the lock and opened it.

“You can come in. It will be more appropriate to discuss inside the house.”

She walked cautiously into the house already feeling strange. Omoefe went to pick the lantern which he had kept by the couch in the sitting-room. He struck the match box and applied the resultant flame to the wick and the room was suddenly illuminated.

“Have your seat,” he told her noticing her reluctance.

She sat down slowly while he watched with interest. He chuckled at the thought of having a city girl behave this way. The village was still set on its values. He sat down on a chair across hers. She was indeed beautiful.

“I love your voice…,” he said.

“Thank you Sir,” she replied quite appreciative.

“What do you want me to offer you?” He asked as he rose to his feet.

“Nothing…’’ she said and added. “I ate not too long ago.”

“Alright…I will like to help you,” he said.

“How?”

‘’You are a beautiful singer and people like you are in short supply in the city where the demand is high…’’ he stopped to notice her fixed gaze. “I can help you become a recognised musician in the city where you will have more people that are willing to pay to listen to you.”

She smiled at the idea and this seemed to relieve the tension building inside her. Omoefe enjoyed seeing her smile.

‘’But Sir, it is almost dark. It is better I leave now,” she said suddenly.

‘’You don’t have to worry, you are safe here,’’ he said.

He stood up from where he was sitting and sat beside her. She shifted uncomfortably on the chair.

‘’I like beautiful ladies like you. Why don’t you spend the night here?’ he asked.

Omote was dumbfounded and stood up from the couch. It was more than an abominable request. Omoefe stretched his hands towards hers but she withdrew it quickly. Omoefe already filled with intense longing ran straight to the door and placed his back on it. She felt helpless and knelt down immediately rubbing her hands together as a means to plead for his mercy. Omoefe was unmoved, rather, he felt an overwhelming desire to have her.

‘’Don’t worry, it won’t hurt you’’ he blurted.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 9:26am On Nov 26, 2018
She wasn’t going to heed his overt request as she suddenly burst into tears. He walked to where she was kneeling, held her by the arms and urged her to stand up. He made all manner of promises before she cleaned her tears and stood up. Omoefe turned round in order to lock the door when he noticed that she was following behind. He turned to her.

‘’You can’t go now, I am not through with you,” he said.

She stood looking at him unsure of what to do. He walked to where she was standing and stretched his hands towards hers but she pushed it away. She shoved him aside and made for the door but Omoefe was quite fast and he caught up with her before she got to the door. He held her firmly around the waist and carried her to the room where he threw her on the bed. She shouted but her voice seemed like a whisper as they were quite far from the village centre.

“Please don’t do this to me,” she pleaded.

He climbed on the bed and stretched a hand towards her which she pushed away. He became angry and held her blouse. She pulled his hand and pushed it away. He grew angry the more they struggled and eventually slapped her. The effect momentarily took the strength from her and she was unable to fight back as Omoefe held her. He tore her clothes and pinned her to the bed while taking his chance with her.

Omoefe woke up just before dawn the next day. He stretched and sat up when he heard gentle sobbing from the floor. He saw Omote lying down with tears in her eyes while her beautiful yellow gown had some traces of blood.

‘’Are you still crying?” he asked.

She sniffled and sat up to face him.

‘’You have defiled me,” she said coldly.

He chuckled at the thought and stood up to go near her.

‘’It’s nothing. In fact I think you enjoyed it,” he said.

He knelt down in front of her and tried to place his hand on her cheek but she pushed it away.

‘’Okay, what do you want?’ he asked but got no reply. “There is little I can do for you unless you really want me to fulfil my promise to you.”

‘’I need my virginity back,” she said.

Omoefe was bemused and slowly he sat on the floor across her. Silence as they eyed each other and then Omote turned away. She knew it was an impossible request but she was seething with hatred. Omoefe chuckled suddenly and turned to look at her.

“Is there any other thing I can do besides your impossible request?”

“No, you have to undo what happened last night.”

He suddenly became angry. He hated the fact that he was pleading her cooperation even when she was aware of his reputation. He was not ready to succumb to an ‘idle’ wish from a naïve girl.

“You shouldn’t worry about this thing we had last night. You should leave,” he said dismissively and stood up.

He took his towel in readiness to go and bath but Omote sat in the same position without moving an inch. He left the room to go and have his bath in readiness for his meeting with the elders. After a few minutes he returned, she had barely moved and had her face buried in her palms.

“Are you still here?” he asked.

She raised her head and eyed him sternly.

‘’Alright then it’s time to go,” he said as he went straight to where she was sitting.

He grabbed her two arms and pulled her up forcefully. He tried pushing her out but she fought back angrily. Rage welled up inside him, he dropped his towel and pushed her out into the balcony. He applied the bolt to the door as soon as he closed the door. Omote continued her feeble protests by hitting on the door.

Omoefe dressed amidst the knocks on the door. He hated the fact that she was just complicating things on her own. If she had agreed to his request he wouldn’t have attacked her. Anyway he got what he wanted and it was indeed pleasurable. He finished dressing and went into the sitting-room. It was quiet. He felt relieved at the thought that she must have gone. He peeped through the window and confirmed that the balcony was empty before he stepped out. He breathed easily once he found no trace of her and went to where he had parked his car. He got in, turned on the ignition and drove out of the compound.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Ann2012(f): 1:44pm On Nov 26, 2018
Too bad

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 8:36pm On Nov 26, 2018
The boss Is back again with another wonderful piece. Ride on. But you did not invite me but I have invited mysef
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 6:52am On Nov 28, 2018
xaviercasmir:
The boss Is back again with another wonderful piece. Ride on.
But you did not invite me but I have invited mysef
I am sorry for not inviting you. I hope you enjoy this piece. Great to have you here.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 6:54am On Nov 28, 2018
Ogaga strolled down the bush path with confidence and enthusiasm. He had a huge grass-cutter in his right hand with a cutlass at the left hand. He is a young man of twenty-seven years who was quite successful judging by the village’s standard. He was a renowned wrestler, hunter and owns a large farm. He was gradually ascending the path to full manhood and was planning to get married before the year’s end. He was on his way to visit his bride, the apple of everyman’s eyes and the village belle. He loved and adored her and he was ready to do anything for her. The time was already past four in the evening when he got to the modest bungalow where Omote and her family lived. He saw her younger sister playing outside. Immediately he called her and she ran to him and greeted him.

“Where is your sister?” he asked.

‘’She is inside. It seems she is not really fine,” she replied.

‘’What is wrong with her?” he asked.

‘’I don’t know,” she replied.

“Can I see her?”

“Let me go and call her.”

She left and went inside the house. Ogaga was worried and he struggled to keep calm after the girl left. After some time, she returned.

“She said you should wait a little.”

Ogaga felt encouraged and went to sit on a bench that was placed under a tree by the side of the house. He waited for a few minutes before he saw the slow moving figure of Omote. Her face was gloomy and it surprised him greatly. She sat down on the bench close to him. There was no attempt to greet him and this proved uncomfortable for him to swallow.

‘’I brought this for you,” he said giving her the grass-cutter.

She mumbled a reply and watched him drop it beside her after no attempt to take it from him. Everything was strange to Omoefe.

‘’What is wrong with you?” he asked.

She raised her head and turned to look at him. She just couldn’t replace the look of worry on Ogaga’s face with the cheerful glee of Omoefe’s when he was on her. The thought seemed overwhelming enough and she stood up immediately and left.

Ogaga was too slow for her swift feet as she got into the house before he reached her. He kept staring at the door like one lost in a spectacle. He was suddenly brought back to the present by a grunt. He turned and found Omote’s mother standing some distance away.

‘’What happened?” she asked.

“She left without saying a word. She acted strange,” he replied. “Something bad must have happened to her.”

‘’Yes, she came back to the house early this morning,” she replied.

Ogaga turned to look at her in surprise. It was indeed a strange occurrence as she always sleeps in her parents’ house except when she travels to another village.

“Where did she sleep?”

She shook her head sadly and turned to look at Ogaga.

‘’She spent the night at Omoefe’s house,” she said slowly.

Suddenly his mind travelled through territories he loathed. The thought that she had gone to his house without seeking his approval irked him. He made an effort not to suspect anything knowing he could easily vouch for her commitment to their relationship. On the other hand, he was still unsure of what could have necessitated Omoefe’s decision to allow her spend the night in his house knowing he was married.

‘’He raped her,” he heard her mother say.

Dread, anger and surprise came in rapid succession. He struggled to bottle up these reactions. H was suddenly unsure if he had heard the right words from her mother. She said the next words with eyes concentrated on him.

‘’I am telling you this because I feel it will be best if we resolve the matter now. You are like the closest male figure to her and it will not be out of place if we confront the chairman with this information. I want you to accompany me.”

“Ma, I am ready.”

“No, not now, we are going to see him once it is 7:30pm,” she replied.

She stood up and left while Ogaga stayed back completely unsure of what to do. He had not lost her rather she might have lost herself which he loathed to think about. He had always prized her vivacious attitude over all other qualities others may have seen in her. He left the compound.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 10:20am On Nov 28, 2018
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 4:38pm On Nov 29, 2018
They left for the house of the chairman some minutes before the time appointed to see the Chairman. He was sitting outside under a huge almond tree in his compound. He saw them enter the compound and adjusted properly on the seat. They greeted immediately and he offered them the bench in front of him. He presided as head over the council of elders who ruled the community. He had taken up the position even at a relative young age due to his professional experience. He had served as the principal of the local school before his retirement.

“What do you want?” he asked.

“We have a problem sir,” Omote’s mother said.

“What is it?” the chairman asked.

“A case of rape,” Ogaga said.

The chairman’s mouth dropped in surprise. His eyes narrowed, chin quavered and scratched his head.

“Omote my daughter said Omoefe committed the act against her,” Omote’s mother said.

Suddenly the whole situation became too unbearable for the chairman. It was indeed a disastrous act and the fact that it was a case between two of their notable citizens was a huge concern.

“Have you told anyone?” he asked.

“We are the only ones aware of it,” the mother replied.

The Chairman turned to look at Ogaga who he had barely spoken to. The fear of judging the case lightly weighed heavily on the chairman’s mind. Indeed, the case was definitely going to be difficult. The law of the land stipulates that such an offender must be sent on exile.

“Alright, I have heard your complaint and I will discuss this with the elders as soon as possible. I am very sorry for this wicked act and it is highly condemnable,” the chairman said.

“Okay.”

They bade him goodnight and left immediately. The Chairman could barely conceal his disgust with the news. He summoned the messenger immediately and asked him to go and inform the council of elders about an emergency meeting billed for the night.

The Chairman welcomed the five men that constituted the council of elders. Uzo, bent with age with chin coated with greying beards led the elders. Akpata, a man who stood in sharp contrast to his age, tall and with saggy muscles was next in line of authority. Abiy, a short and fat man whose face was already riddled with wrinkles followed in order of ranking. Efe, a slow walker and heavy in bearing completed the small council of elders.

They sat under the huge almond tree in the chairman’s compound. Additional benches had been placed with a small round wooden table placed in the middle.

“Okpako ewho (elders), you are all welcome and thanks for honouring my request.”

They replied in the affirmative.

“We have a serious issue to discuss. It is very important as it concerns two of our dearest children,” the Chairman began.

Every one of them listened with rapt attention.

“Omote’s mother came accompanied by Ogaga. She told me that after the reception two nights ago, Omoefe invited Omote over for a brief discussion. In the course of that meeting Omoefe raped Omote,” the Chairman said.

“Abomination,” the elders roared in angst.

It was a grave accusation and the fact that it had not happened in recent time made the atmosphere tense.

“My question is what we should do now?” the Chairman asked.

Akpata stood up to address the elders.

“This is quite strange and it is indeed a very sad occurrence. We do not pray for a repeat but we must use this as a deterrent. As it is effectively spelt out in our laws, an offender will either marry the lady in question or face exile from this village,” he said.

“Omoefe is a married man unless he wants to take a second wife but let’s not forget the fact that Omote had made a choice of her husband. It will be harmful to bring up this suggestion,” Abiy said in his usually gentle manner.

“It’s a knotty situation as we are left with no other option than to send him on exile,” the Chairman said after a while.

“Sending any of our kinsman on exile is a grave decision to make and we must not forget the fact that Omoefe is a like a rock in this community,” Efe said.

It was a brave statement and the elders knew what was at stake if they were to push such a titled person away. The Chairman felt some release knowing that his earlier burden was gradually dissipating.

The oldest among the elders Uzo, broke the silence with his croaky voice.

“It is unfortunate that this young man have committed this act. I am almost on my last lap but we must make a decision that will help our young ones. We are not going to let our law take over the place of necessity. The question is are we going to let this boy live the rest of his life completely detached from the home of his ancestors. I won’t support that idea knowing that this might cast us in bad light but times have changed. We must not spite our present efforts to make our community buoyant.”

Silence reigned supreme as the others contemplated the words of Akpata. The chairman broke the silence.

“So what do you suggest we do to ease the present situation?”

“An apology can do a lot.” Abiy said.

“Omoefe should apologize to Omote in the presence of her mother and betroth.”

Silence returned for a little while before the next person spoke.

“I am fine with the decision,” Akpata said.

The Chairman was quite happy with the way things were going. He had no intention of visiting the whole weight of the law on Omoefe. After all, he looked like the gate-keeper to their future prosperity. An exile would effectively pull a plug on their desire to get a proper honorarium from the contract between the government and the Oil exploration firm.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Ann2012(f): 10:20am On Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the update OP

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 8:46pm On Dec 01, 2018
Omote’s mother and Ogaga received the message with mixed feelings. It was not the best of decisions but there was nothing they could do to change it. The Chairman had promised a quick resolution and the reconciliation meeting was immediately scheduled for the middle of the week. The Chairman had also informed Omoefe. He had received the news with less concern.

He was sadly bent on pandering to his illicit desires hence he had not been happy when he learnt that Omote had reported to the council of elders. He felt she had missed out on a big opportunity, after all, he had so much money which he could effectively use to promote her music career and also rescue her from the ‘low-life’ in the village. He smiled at the thought that his knowledge and influence had effectively made him an indispensable indigene.

Those men wouldn’t have dare to send him away on exile as this would have effectively placed them at a disadvantage. At the end, he had no reason to be remorseful. It was instead a deal gone bust.

The reconciliation meeting was held on the Wednesday of the new week. Omoefe arrived the village early that morning from a neighbouring town where he had spent the night. Omote on her part went to the meeting after much persuasion from her mother and Ogaga. The meeting was held in the compound of the Chairman with the elders in attendance. The Chairman sat very close to the tree with the council of elders sitting at the right while Omote sat with Ogaga and her mother by the left hand-side. Omoefe sat very close to the middle where he faced the chairman. The atmosphere was quite tense devoid of any cheer.

“Good evening my most senior elders, I welcome the mother of Omote and her betroth to this meeting. It is a matter that have been intensely debated by us since we received the complaint. We have decided on this meeting as a means to eliminate any indignation as we feel that forgiveness is effectively the most enduring tool in resolving quarrel,” he said.

He sat down before turning to the elders as a means to inform them of their need to contribute. Uzo spoke next.

“It is indeed a very unfortunate incidence. It was and still is a very sad occurrence which we pray does not happen again in our life-time or in our children’s. I have nothing more to say other than for our daughter whose contribution to our community, we have always treasured should bear no grudge to our decision. We also plead that she should bear no ill-feeling towards Omoefe. We urge you to forgive and forget,” he pleaded.

It was a plea that was received with mixed emotions by the two people involved. Omoefe maintained a stoic silence all through the preceding speech. Omote on her part had little to protest about but she felt pressured to concede to the wishes of these men. Her mother looked on seemingly disinterested in the discussions.
The Chairman addressed Omoefe next.

“Omoefe, as an elder and a parent, I must tell you that what you have done is a very bad thing considering your unofficial position. We have tried to keep this matter under wrap so that we may not cause division in this community hence we have decided that you will apologize to Omote.”
Omoefe stood up gingerly and walked to the front of Omote.

“I am very sorry,” Omoefe mumbled.

“Go down on your knees,” Efe said.

Omoefe heaved a sigh, smiled and slowly went on his knees. Ogaga watched him with indignation and suppressed fury. It was just unfortunate he was making mockery of what was effectively a grave situation.

“I am very sorry for what I did. It’s quite unfortunate that I allowed lust to take over me that night. I am sincerely sorry,” he pleaded with his head bowed.

Omote raised her head briefly as tears streamed down her face. Omoefe waited a while before he stood up. The Chairman walked up to Omote and patted her shoulder. He took her right hand and led her to where the elders were seated and they rubbed her on the back to effectively register their little support. Once they were through, Omote went back to her seat still sobbing. It was a pathetic sight and it conveyed various messages to all seated.

The Chairman and the elders saw her sobbing as a release from any grudges she had towards Omoefe but Ogaga had grown increasingly angry for what he saw as an affront on his prized possession. The Chairman and the elders rose from the meeting with the belief that justice had been served but Ogaga was not satisfied.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 11:04pm On Dec 01, 2018
karma will surely caught up with this guy . Ride on

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Ann2012(f): 11:31pm On Dec 01, 2018
Omoefe needs to be castrated angry
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2018
xaviercasmir:
karma will surely caught up with this guy .
Ride on
Thanks.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:10pm On Dec 02, 2018
Ann2012:
Really interesting point.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:10pm On Dec 02, 2018
Ann2012:
Really interesting point.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:16pm On Dec 02, 2018
Omoefe whistled to himself contentedly as he listened to the little transistor radio in his house. He had remained in the village since the verdict and it was Saturday. He was relieved that the matter had not gone beyond the select group of people that had witnessed the reconciliation meeting as he still treasured his good standing in the eyes of the villagers. He had not felt pity for Omote either as he did not welcome the idea of kneeling down before her to apologise. He relished the pleasure of seeing those tears in her eyes as it gave him a pleasure of been above the law.

The cool breeze that blew from the forest left a feeling of calm on him and he walked around the balcony enjoying the soothing sensation. Suddenly he felt lonely. It would have been perfect to have a lady beside him on this beautiful night. It was so unfortunate that he had no lady to call on. A major discomfort that made life in the village dull and boring. He was gradually sinking into indignation when he decided to return to the sitting-room. He sat on one of the chairs at the right side facing the door.
After a short, he heard footsteps on the concrete floor of the balcony.

‘’ Who is there?’ he asked.

There was no answer and instead silence took its place. Some few minutes and the shuffle and crushing sound of approaching feet.

“Who’s there?”

Silence reigned and it unsettled him. He stood up and was approaching the door when he heard a knock on it. The door opened and he saw the silhouette of a man. He turned the knob of the lantern and the figure of the person came into full view. The man wore a shirt and a short covering down to his kneecaps. He was quite dark with broad shoulders. The physique was unfamiliar but once he saw the face, he instantly recognised the person as Omote’s fiance.

“What are you doing here?” Omoefe asked.

“Good evening sir’’ Ogaga greeted.

“What do you want here?”

“I have a message to deliver to you.”

“I don’t care about your message. Just leave.”

“It is indeed sad that you are not remorseful. It’s best you don’t come back to this village.”

Omoefe eyed him and laughed.

“You surely don’t understand what you are saying and who you are saying it to. You are just a little boy with no understanding. You have nothing to offer me at this point, so leave my house,” he said dismissively.

“Your type is not fit to live here.”

“Are you crazy’’ Omoefe retorted. “You have no right to tell me to stay away. It’s just unfortunate that your girlfriend refused my generous gift that is why you have the audacity to come into my house.”

“You are an elder to me and I expect you to behave like one but since you have refused, I won’t bother but I must warn you that a word is enough for the wise,” Ogaga replied angrily.

“You must be crazy’’ Omoefe shouted angrily at the retreating Ogaga.

“You should be ashamed of that LovePeddler you call a…”

‘’ How dare you’’ Ogaga shouted as he turned around angrily.

A sudden light followed the swing of Ogaga’s left hand. He was holding a cutlass.

“What can you do? Have you come to threaten me with a cutlass?” Omoefe asked in a daring tone.

Ogaga eyed him derisively and turned to leave. Omoefe rushed after him and pulled his shoulder. Ogaga swung around and pushed him away.

“You are just a coward even with a cutlass,” Omoefe jeered.

Ogaga turned away as he opened the door to leave. Omoefe still spoiling for trouble rushed after him and seized his neck. Ogaga struggled to his hands off his neck. After much effort, he freed himself and in a swift movement, used the cutlass to hit him on the head. He walked away leaving Omoefe who had his head in his hands groaning in pains. Ogaga felt no pity as he walked away.

The lifeless body of Omoefe was discovered the next day by a kinsman who had visited. He found him in a pool of his blood and immediately raised an alarm. His voice pierced through the quiet morning even as people got ready for church and other activities. After a short time, a sizeable number of people had gathered at the cottage where Omoefe had lived before his death. The news was both heart-breaking and devastating for all who heard it. His exploits had effectively turned to the stuff of a legend and was well known.

Immediately, the community descended into mourning. The few who had questions about the culprit struggled for hearing amidst the outpouring of grief. The Chairman called an emergency meeting of the council of elders. The cause of the death seemed predictable. After much deliberation, the elders resolved to let sleeping dogs lie with the hope that it would eventually be resolved. After what seemed like a bright beginning for the community, the uncontrollable desire of their most cherished crashed that beautiful world they had seen from afar.

THE END

Like the page Life Worth on facebook for more interesting stories.

1 Like

Re: Rape (A Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 9:23am On Dec 03, 2018
served him right
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 5:36pm On Dec 04, 2018
xaviercasmir:
served him right
you wish "Justice" is served so fast. Thanks for following.
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by Akposb(m): 5:36pm On Dec 04, 2018
xaviercasmir:
served him right
Re: Rape (A Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 12:15am On Dec 05, 2018
Akposb:
of course he does deserve Justice fast

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Hands Of Time. / Was It A Night With A Smart Or Possessed Beautiful Gal On Campus? You Decide / The sign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.