Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,448 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Should I Take The Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Take The Job? (620 Views)

Urgent!!! Please which of the Federal Government Jobs Should I Take? / My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls / What Are The Job Opportunities For Microbiologist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Take The Job? by Superbrain(m): 11:16am On Jul 26, 2010
Fellow Nairalanders,

I need your advice and suggestions concerning a particular issue. I'm a chemical engineering graduate and just completed the NYSC scheme. I've been sending out job applications and recently I job a job offer at a Media firm. The nature of the job seems time-consuming and i'm not really keen on a career switch. The pay is about a mille per annum and though everyone seems to advice i take the job, i feel it will hinder me from taking advantage of other opportunities that may come my way.

I planned going to grad school in the US this September but it didn't really work out as planned so I'm giving it another shot as against next September. I was hoping to get an engineering job that can offer some years of relevant experience and a good pay, even if i may have to let go of my plans to go to grad school.

So, I'm thinking, accepting the offer will mean I will have to resume in August. The pay will help in my application to grad school and other personal expenses but I may not get the time to do all the running around. Also, i may not be able to save as much as I planned to for grad school and attending other interviews/tests may be a problem.

What do you guys think? The Media firm in question has good prospects and I know I won't have to stay long before i take on more senior roles at the firm.
Re: Should I Take The Job? by blezo: 10:28am On Jul 29, 2010
Take the job i mean just think about it, you dont take the job, you're looking for job again for only God knows how long. Your pay could be saved also for grad school.Your advantages seem to be more
Re: Should I Take The Job? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2010
Man, take the job and 4get abt it being time consuming. There are lot of graduates out there looking 4 this kinda opportunity or do u prefer going 4rm one end 2 d other looking 4 job that doesn't exist.
Re: Should I Take The Job? by AjanleKoko: 2:13pm On Jul 29, 2010
Take the job, but not for any of those two reasons stated by posters above. Don't take a job simply because millions of other graduates can't find one; you have the right to decline a job offer that you don't like.
That said, since you have nothing much to occupy you in the meantime, take the job. Applying for graduate studies is not that time-consuming. Some people complete graduate studies while working.

If you have a plan in place to go to graduate school, keep them intact and set a reasonable time frame. I'm sure you will find time for all the running around.

(1) (Reply)

I Get A U.s Master Card From Thiis Site For Free. / About Regulatory Officer (nuclear) / Am On D Right Track

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.