Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,900 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (14294 Views)

30 Days And 30 Nights (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Underlying Love (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 9:33am On Nov 20, 2018
Hello guys. I'm back with a new one. This is going to be a young adult romance novelette...as usual, it will have short chapters. I hope you like it.

I will try and post twice a week.

4 Likes

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 9:40am On Nov 20, 2018
Magical Attraction
By
Kayode Odusanya

© 2018 Kayode Odusanya

There was heavy fog on the road and they had to drive at a low speed. This was common for November mornings in Nigeria, just before and during the Harmattan period in the country. The inside of the car was chilly even though the air conditioning wasn’t on. Sesan sat in the front passenger’s seat of the small Renault Megan, cramped up with his 6ft2 athletic physique, lost in thought as Ngozi kept talking nonstop. She was saying something about the early morning fog and how she read somewhere that the water droplets in a fog that covered a standard soccer field, if somehow condensed, wasn’t enough to fill up a 5 liter keg. She always knew something about everything and liked to talk.

Ngozi used to be someone he spoke to casually whenever he visited her brother and the three of them played video games. They had become close after Mathew, her brother passed from untreated Typhoid fever a few years back. It was shocking to them that someone could actually die from Typhoid, and it made Ngozi a voracious reader. She was a lanky 20 year old tomboy that had no female friends; a nightmare for her mom.

The spare car Sesan normally drove to school had been sold off recently to meet some needs in the house after his dad left, and Ngozi had been dropping him off at school since then. It wasn’t a burden to her at all, as she loved getting out of the house, especially when it was with her buddy, Sesan. They were about the same age, but she hadn’t been able to gain admission into the University for the Course of her choice. While Sesan was in his second year at the University of Lagos, she was studying for another JAMB exam.

“Are you listening to me at all?” She said as she took a few quick glances at him. She had on a white t shirt that was rolled up a few notches at the sleeves, and a black scarf covered her head.
“What? Oh. Yea, you were…” He was saying in his baritone voice then stopped and stared at her for a while before saying, “You got lipstick on. Weird.”
“I applied it in traffic a few minutes ago.” She said and smiled. The smile on her naturally beautiful oval face quickly turned to a frown as she added, “It means your mind hasn’t been here at all.”
“Sorry…I’m…So, what’s with the lipstick?”
“Well, my mom has been on my neck for a while now on my dressing. I’m thinking of getting a new look.” She said as she rubbed her lips together. “I used the copper brown color as I read it is the best for my brown complexion. So, how did I do?”
He turned to look at her for a while before saying, “Hmm. I guess you did okay.”
Ngozi slowed down the car to collect a car pass as she drove into the University campus. “I watched a tutorial on Youtube.” She said and laughed lightly.

Sesan reached the backseat for his bag as he said, “So…you are going to totally change your look? That’s unlike you to give in like that.”
She looked into space for a while before saying, “Well, I think I have been very selfish for a while now. I just want to do something to make my mom happy.”
“Hmm. I can’t…” He was saying and stopped when his phone beeped. “Thank God; network is back.” He said, excited as he pulled his phone out of his jeans pocket.
“I’ve told you a million times to get off that network.”
“They give good data.” He replied.
She shook her head at him. There was traffic and she was moving a few meters every now and then. The car had gone quiet as Sesan had buried his head in his phone. “Hey Sesan, I think I would drop you off at the next roundabout. This traffic looks like it stretches to the senate building.” She said, and he nodded without looking at her. “Who are you chatting with that got you all smiley faced?”
“I’m not chatting; I’m reading a mail from a friend.”
“Who is he?”
“It’s a she.”
“Oh, interesting. What’s her name?”
“Chun Lee.”
“What?” She said and laughed chucked. “Are you trying to be funny or what?”
“Nope. That’s what she calls herself. She has refused to tell me her real name.”
“Hmm. She’s a mystery lover, yes?”
“Nope. I haven’t even met her. She’s just a friend. More like my shrink.” Sesan said and looked up at the road. They were almost at a U Turn in the road. “I should get down here.”
“Okay.”
“Thanks. See you later.”
“See ya.”

Sesan got out quickly, waited for the car next to theirs to drive off, and then crossed the road. Ngozi beeped the horn twice and waved at him. He waved back, swung his backpack around his shoulders, and started the short walk to his department.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Deckline(m): 9:45am On Nov 20, 2018
You will try to post twice a week undecided I sense an unneccessarily long and boring story unfolding.
Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:13am On Nov 20, 2018
Deckline:
You will try to post twice a week undecided I sense an unneccessarily long and boring story unfolding.

You are the real bad belle. See as this guy wants to kill my vibe with the first comment on my story. Lol!
Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:55am On Nov 20, 2018
Chapter 2

His second class for the day was a borrowed course in another department. It was in a large lecture theatre with about five hundred students, but he spotted her in the first few minutes of getting there. She was a light skin beauty Sesan had been crushing on since the beginning of the semester. She was in a clique of about half a dozen girls and Sesan hadn’t had the opportunity to get her alone.

He stood at a vantage point, looking down at her make hand gestures as she interacted with her friends. She had on a navy blue gown, with a red belt around her waist that accentuated her coke bottle figure. Her shoes and lipstick were also red, making her standout in the crowd.

Her friends walked off at the same time, and she stayed back to place their bags on their empty seats. It was his chance. He adjusted his denim shirt, cracked his neck, took a deep breath and started the decent down the hall. He was half way down when for some weird reason, she turned around and their eyes locked for a few seconds before she looked away. Just a couple more steps to get to her, and he heard a large uproar in the hall. When he looked up at the stage, he saw the grey haired professor walking to the podium with a file in his hand. “Shiit!” He cursed under his breath as he slowly walked passed her, walked to the isle and started his slow walk back up the hall. “Please tear out a sheet of paper. We are having a test.” The professor said out loud.
Another loud uproar reverberated through the hall.

……….

He was in no mood to talk to anyone after the test, and had headed straight to his department. He had his face glued to his laptop while waiting for his next lecture to start. He had gotten another email from Chun Lee, where she was talking about coming to Lagos from Ibadan for the Christmas break. He replied that he couldn’t wait, and went over to Facebook. He wished all his friends born on that day a happy birthday, scrolled through posts and was about to leave the page when an ad caught his eye.

On the right hand of the page, the small ad read, ‘Magician’s Assistant Needed.’ He hovered the cursor around the ad for a couple of seconds before finally clicking on it. The landing page was a very simple white background website detailing the criteria for getting the job. The person wanted someone tall, athletic, sharp, and not more than 22 years old. Sesan fit perfectly. He pulled out his phone and called the number at the bottom of the website. It rang for a full session and no one picked up. But when he dialed the second time, an old man said picked up immediately and said “Hello” in a croaked voice.
“Hello sir. Umm. I just saw your ad about needing a Magician’s assistance.” Sesan said and waited. He didn’t know if he was talking to the magician or someone at a job agency. When the man didn’t say anything, he went on with, “Sir, I am interested in the job sir.”
“Okay. What’s your name?” The man said and coughed a few times.
“Sesan. Sesan Ogundairo, sir.”
The line went quiet. Sesan could hear the man breathing on the other end of the line. He was about to speak when the man said, “Okay. Can you meet me this evening by 5, at number 7 Cole Street, Akoka? The street is off the University of Lagos road.”
“Okay sir.”
“That’s my office. I hope you know how to get there?”
“Yes sir. I’m actually at the university right now.”
“Oh. That’s nice. So, I’ll see you at 5?”
“Yes sir.”
“Okay. Call me when you are outside the building.”
“Yes sir.” Sesan said. He was about to ask for the man’s name when the line went dead. He looked at his phone for a couple of seconds, contemplating redialing the number, and then put the phone down on the table. He looked into space, thinking of how awkward the last five minutes had been. It felt spooky.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Deckline(m): 11:15am On Nov 20, 2018
So till next week before you update ba Smh!
Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 12:27pm On Nov 20, 2018
kayo80:

You are the real bad belle. See as this guy wants to kill my vibe with the first comment on my story. Lol!

Don't let any bad belle kill your vibe

Following already smiley

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 12:28pm On Nov 20, 2018
Ann2012:

Don't let any bad belle kill your vibe

Following already smiley

Thank you jare. smiley

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 20, 2018
Following, interesting as usual

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Deckline(m): 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2018
LightQueen:
Following, interesting as usual
Tell him the truth! You know you're lying!!
Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 1:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
Deckline:

Dude, I honestly want to understand what your issue is. If you believe my story is 'uninteresting' why don't you just leave? The story is not on front page... So, you can't argue that a mod pushed it to front page and you have a right to comment on it. If you don't like something, you leave it. Simple. I don't like your negative energy. There are hundreds if not thousands of stories in the literature section... You can easily find one you like.
Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by collinometricx: 1:46pm On Nov 20, 2018
Kayo80 forget the negative comments, such is life...

As always lemme sit and enjoy my popcorn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 2:29pm On Nov 20, 2018
Deckline:
How far? Bad energy, stay far away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by abubakarbabang7(m): 3:27pm On Nov 20, 2018
Any bad belle or negative energy ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ will strike dat person

2 Likes

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by collinometricx: 5:48pm On Nov 20, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

How far? Bad energy, stay far away.

Far far away

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by froze6(m): 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2018
Well done k

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by carloz685(m): 9:08pm On Nov 20, 2018
Deckline:
Dude do us a favor get out of this tread ok... Have a pleasant night...

2 Likes

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by carloz685(m): 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2018
Deckline:
So till next week before you update ba Smh!
Abeg na your story...

2 Likes

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by OlufemiWhit(m): 8:37am On Nov 21, 2018
Kay Mah Nigga......no mind haters....sha dhy post when you av time..... grin

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by juninhouj: 8:51am On Nov 21, 2018
come and update ooo...... dis story dey totori me for body

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by MhizDherbee(f): 2:33pm On Nov 21, 2018
My boo for life! Carry on

2 Likes

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by EvaJael(f): 6:25pm On Nov 21, 2018
Following!

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:00pm On Nov 21, 2018
EvaJael:
Following!
Amaria temi nikan...

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by skubido(m): 8:13pm On Nov 21, 2018
Following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:49am On Nov 23, 2018
Chapter 3

The place was an old looking bungalow, with cream colored paint job that had long faded. The guard that let him in didn’t look official in the worn-out blue jeans and brown short sleeve shirt he had on. There was a tall coconut tree in the compound that had caused cracks on the cemented floor; the cracks looked like tributaries of a big river.

After locking the gate, the man led him into the house. Unlike the outside of the house, the inside looked more modern. It had black wooden floors, three black leather sofas arranged in sort of like a semi circle form, and a black desk and chair with a white computer at the left corner of the room; the computer’s monitor was at least 24 inches. It was clear the house was recently remodeled and furnished.

The man didn’t step in, but held on to the door and urged Sesan to go in. Then he nodded at Sesan before closing the door. Alone in the living room, he looked around the place. The smell of fresh leather and wood filled the air. There were no family pictures hanging on the white walls or nothing lying around that gave it a feel of a living room, but it still was too informal to be an office. The wall unit made a sudden loud sound like it was changing temperature, and it startled Sesan. That was probably kept from before the remodeling of the place, Sesan thought.

He took a seat by the two seater couch closest to him. Just then a door to his left swung open, and an elderly man emerged from the room. “Hello.” He said in tiny voice as he approached with the vigor of a young man. He had grey afro hair, and long grey beard like the writer, Wole Soyinka. Sesan got off his seat to greet him. They shook hands, and Sesan bowed his head in greeting. The man took the seat opposite Sesan, tucked his glasses back in place, and adjusted the brown Ankara attire he had on. “This place is actually a home office.” He said. He cleared his throat before adding, “I thought it would be wise to avoid all the hassles that a real office comes with…workers, cleaners, tax, and all that.” He smiled and the smile on his face lingered longer than normal as he focused on Sesan; that and the awkward silence made Sesan feel a little uncomfortable. As if sensing this, he clasped his hands and sat up in his seat. “So…let me brief you on what you would be doing.”
“Okay sir. But, umm! Sir, aren’t you going to interview me?”
“For what? You are tall, athletic, and the age range I asked for.” He said and Sesan smiled. “I need you for what you can do for me, not what a paper qualification says you can do for me.”
“So… I’m guessing you know who Professor Peller was, right?” The man said and Sesan looked lost. “You don’t know the name Peller?”
“Umm! I only know the Peller that owns Quilox.”
“Q what? What’s that” It was the man’s turn to look lost.
“Quilox is a night club sir.”
“Oh.” The man said and laughed a little before saying, “I heard one of the late great magician’s kids was in the club business.”
“Sir…So, Shina Peller’s dad was a magician?”
“Yes; From Iseyin in Oyo state. Back in the 60s, the man was doing shows all over Lagos; Great magician. He was a great entertainer.”
“Oh. Wow! I didn’t know that.”
“Yes. So, that’s what I want to bring back to the Nigerian scene. Nigerians need some magical entertainment right now.” He said with a smile. He looked lost in thought for a few seconds, before snapping back to reality with a quick shake of the head. “I’m working on putting together a series of shows in Lagos this Christmas.”
“Okay sir.”
“Yea…we would be using venues like Muson Center and National Arts Theatre.”
“Okay sir.”
“By the way, how much do you know about magic?”
“Umm! I sometimes watch Chris Angel videos on Youtube.”
“Filmed magic tricks.” He said with disgust. “I hate them. They are the fakest.” He added and Sesan smiled. “Well, every form of magic is not real anyway; it’s just tricks. But I’m an Illusionist; a stage magician. At least people like me have the decency of doing the magic tricks in front of real people.”
“Sir. I’ve been…” Sesan started to say and stopped to clear his throat. “I’ve been meaning to ask you…Umm! So, there is no real magic?”
The man smiled at him for a long time, making him feel uncomfortable again. “There is.” He finally said. “There is real magic. And do you want to know the truth?”
“Yes sir.” Sesan said and leaned forward.
“Sesan Ogundairo, you have magical powers. You are a Magician.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 12:09pm On Nov 23, 2018
Thanks for the update Sir

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by skubido(m): 1:22pm On Nov 23, 2018
Waoh

Tanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by EvaJael(f): 3:10pm On Nov 23, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

Amaria temi nikan...

kiss shift for me lemme sit
Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 4:12pm On Nov 23, 2018
Chapter 4

“I’m a magician?” Sesan asked, looking puzzled. Even though he had told the man his name on the phone, he also found it strange that the man had called him by his full name.
“Yes. You are magician. I’m a magician. Your mom is a magician. Even Yusuf, the man that opened the gate for you is a magician.”
Sesan had a confused look on his face now. “Sir, I don’t understand.”
“The real magic is in you, me, and every human being alive, but we don’t harness it.” Sesan still had a lost look on his face and the man continued with, “We have the magical powers to attract whatever we focus on. What we think and feel, we attract. If that isn’t magic, then what is?”
“I think I have read that somewhere before, but sir can you explain better?”
He smiled before saying, “Proverbs 23 verse 7…As a man thinketh in his heart so is he.” He let that sink in before saying, “Luke 17, verse 20…The kingdom of God is within you.”
“Hmm!”
“Everything you want is within you in the imaginary world, and when you focus on it long enough, it materializes in the physical world.”
Although this wasn’t what he had in mind when the man told him he was a magician, the whole thing was quite interesting to him and he wanted to know more. “Sir, if this theory is true, why don’t I get most of the things I think about?”
“That’s because you are thinking from a place of lack, and lack of whatever you are thinking of is what you continue to get. But when, in your imaginative state, you think and believe you already have what you want, and persist in that thought, you can get anything you want.”
“Anything?”
“Anything; I don’t care how big or unbelievable. It doesn’t even matter whether it is a stupid thing; if it makes sense to you, and fills your being, you will attract it.”
“Hmm!”
“Let’s put it to the test. What has been on your mind the most the last couple of days?”
“Umm.” He was saying then stopped to smile shyly. “Well, since you said anything, there is this girl in school I like.”
“Oh. That’s nice.” The man said with a smile and sat up in his seat. “A girl; this will be a piece of cake because love speeds up the process.”
“But…I have been thinking of the girl for a while, and haven’t gotten her.”
“That’s because you have been thinking and seeing yourself without the girl, and that is the reality you will keep having; a reality without the girl.”
“So…”
“What you have to do from now on is to imagine yourself with the girl; walking around with her, laughing and talking to her, spending time with her.”
“Okay.”
“Do this for ten minutes twice a day. Find a place where you won’t be disturbed, close your eyes and imagine spending time with her.”
“That’s all?”
“Yes. And don’t do anything other than the visualization exercises. The universe will work the magic.”
“Hmm.”
“And one more thing; don’t think of, but think from.”
“I don’t understand.”
“When you close your eyes to visualize, don’t imagine yourself looking at you and the girl spending time together. You have to visualize yourself as the ‘you’ in your imagination. You have to think from. You get?” Sesan till looked lost and the man added, “Imagine yourself in the format of a virtual reality video game where you are looking at the game world from the eyes of the main character, and not from your viewing eye.”
“Oh! I think I get it now.” Sesan said with a smile, wondering how the old man knew about modern video games.
“Yes. Thank God.” He said and laughed. “My grandson plays all those shooting games a lot.”
“Wow! This would really be interesting if it works.”
“Remember, you don’t do anything other than what I told you. You can’t assist the universe in doing its work, just like you can’t assist gravity in doing its work. Do your part, and everything will happen automatically.”
“Hmm.”
“Yes. Now, let’s get back to work related talk.”
Sesan smiled and said, “Okay sir.”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by skubido(m): 9:20pm On Nov 23, 2018
Tanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 10:33pm On Nov 23, 2018
Abi me sef be magician

Thanks for the update
Re: Magical Attraction (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) by froze6(m): 10:43pm On Nov 23, 2018
Ann2012:
Abi me sef be magician
Thanks for the update
who knowns You can try.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Memoirs Of A Drug Lord (Episode 1, 2 & 3) / Nneoma Ike-njoku Becomes The Only Nigerian To Win(1million In) Mmfoundation / Nnedi Okorafor To Write Black Panther For Marvel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.