Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,219 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 (911 Views)

Diaspora Nigerians Remit $21bn For 2015 / Aliko Dangote Loses $7.8 Billion As Naira, Stocks Plunge -Forbes / Man Finds $88 Billion In His Bank Account! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by adconline(m): 6:06am On Apr 12, 2007
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/business/article01

THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disclosed that last year remittances by Nigerians in diaspora back home hit US$7.7 billion.

The apex bank also indicated its readiness to surrender its head office in Abuja to the African Central Bank (ACB) anytime the African Union approves the take-off of the continental bank.

CBN governor, Chukwuma Soludo, stated these yesterday in Abuja at the quarterly economic forum chaired by President Olusegun Obasanjo. Soludo said that it was only a matter of time for the CBN to become only a branch of the ACB.

He said that the bank was working toward the internationalisation of the naira and that already, the currency, which had remained stable for months now, was being traded in the international money market.

Soludo said that overseas remittances from Nigerians abroad went up to 7.7 billion dollars last year, an amount that was higher the GDP of 29 of the 53 countries in Africa.

Soludo said that the CBN was also planning to establish an international financial centre in the Lekki peninsula of Lagos and that the centre would be in the mould of similar centres in Dubai and Singapore.

He said that for the country to join the league of 11 countries in the world that had been projected to be among developed countries by the year 2025, it must record an annual growth rate of 12.5 per cent.

He said that it was possible for the country to attain that level because only 40 per cent of its arable land was under cultivation and it was also blessed with many more human and material resources that were still untapped.

"We do not have the luxury of a gradual approach; we need a quantum leap to be there,'' he said, adding that the country was already preparing to work so hard to be able to join the league of emerging developed economies by 2020.

Soludo added that with the national gross domestic rising up to 145 million dollars the country was now at par with Chile and Malaysia, although with higher population.

He said that the country's per capita income had gone up to 1,000 dollars, the level it was in 1980, noting that a lot still needed to be done to further improve on the figure.

In her presentation, the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Nenadi Usman, said that the country had completely exited both the London and Paris club debts and was now left with the domestic debt.

She said that the domestic debts included pension arrears of N75 billion and a local contractors' debt of N300 billion.

She said that bonds were issued to liquidate the outstanding pensions and that those being owed were now receiving their cheque.

In his comment on the presentations, Obasanjo said that the forum would review the NEEDS1 document.

He noted that the implementation was being rounded off while the focus would now shift to the NEEDS 2 document to be implemented by the incoming administration.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by naijafresh: 8:11am On Apr 12, 2007
eeh!!!

How did they know?
What about the money i hide inside my jeans each time i am going back
I sure say it go pass $7 Billa. Not me but all of the heavy guys together who are making waves abroad

So how much did they governors remit out of the country thats what we want to know?
At least we worked for ours, or did we? tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by alpontif(m): 10:05am On Apr 12, 2007
a chunky part from yahoo-yahoo,unh?!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by babasin(m): 12:03pm On Apr 12, 2007
well these people are better than OBJ who kept $40billion out of Nigeria economy
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by hbrednic: 1:12pm On Apr 12, 2007
central bank with big big numbers,while daily naija life remains unchanged.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by Chionyins(m): 1:41pm On Apr 12, 2007
Guess its more than that, becos them no calculate the ones wey dey enter thru jeans!!!1
Thats has kept the economy going becos for every dollar or pound or euro thats goes in thru hard working NRN about 3times goes out thru. gov. alaims way!!
What will happen without NRN sending money back to mama for villa , make we no even go there
GOD BLESS NAIJA
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by 4Play(m): 5:28pm On Apr 12, 2007
naijafresh:

eeh!!!

How did they know?
What about the money i hide inside my jeans each time i am going back
I sure say it go pass $7 Billa. Not me but all of the heavy guys together who are making waves abroad

I once hid money in my boxers,when I went to use the loo at Schipol,some of the money fell into the toilet and it flushed automatically shocked
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by debosky(m): 5:32pm On Apr 12, 2007
The money you stole ehn? My God is a punisher of the evil grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by 4Play(m): 5:42pm On Apr 12, 2007
debosky:

The money you stole ehn? My God is a punisher of the evil grin grin grin

You see you jumped to conclusion grin As a patriotic Nigerian fully appreciative of the impact of remittances on the economy,I was not prepared to let the money go grin

No way!I dipped my hand,before it flushed, and retrieved my hard earned money.That is what they call a messy business grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by debosky(m): 5:47pm On Apr 12, 2007
good man! Such patriotism is rare these days. Most of my own remittances are official though, Western Union and co don make money off me well. sad I think I will try the boxers option or the jeans option next time cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $7.7 Billion In 2006 by Chionyins(m): 5:56pm On Apr 12, 2007
@4play/debosky
na wa for una!even oyibo go dip hin hand asap; nobody is smiling with that kind thing ojare1
anyway another 7bill gbp go don go thru boxers/jeans /jacket and thru car from cotonu sef

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Invest Into Penny Us Stocks? / What Business Is Best For Salary Earners? / Creative Modern Chairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.