Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Mathematics Question - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mathematics Question (474 Views)

Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark / 'Leaked Mathematics Question Paper': WAEC Reacts / Can Anyone Help Me With The Solution To This Mathematics Question? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathematics Question by Aguemma(m): 6:36pm On Nov 23, 2018
Maths gurus plz help x+y= 5 y^2+x^y=17 Find x and y x=2,y=3 x=3,y=2 Plz help me out. thanks in advance.
Re: Mathematics Question by Kaylhey20: 9:11pm On Nov 23, 2018
Aguemma:
Maths gurus plz help x+y= 5 y^2+x^y=17 Find x and y
x=2,y=3 x=3,y=2
Plz help me out. thanks in advance.
I have solved the question. Are you sure of those values of x and y you put there. Cos the real solution (at least the answer I got ) is x =1 and y=4.

Will post my solution tomorrow. It is really lengthy.

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics Question by Aguemma(m): 9:23pm On Nov 23, 2018
Thanks
Re: Mathematics Question by GreatArchy: 8:37pm On Nov 25, 2018
The answer to the above question is x=2 and y=3, Although this question is a bit simple, but requires a good knowledge on numerical techniques. You have to apply the usual substitution method for solving simultaneous equation, and the resulting equation becomes a transcendental equation that is equation contains an algebraic term and a logarithmic term, such equations can not be solved with the usual way because it becomes cumbersome using Maclaurin's series to do your expansions which can be prone to human error, hence you apply a numerical method to that equation may be you can work with Newton's raphson method and you get your answers in a GV as x =2 and y=3

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: President Muhammadu Buhari Reduces Cost Of UTME, SSCE Forms / UK Universities To Start Offering 2 Year Degrees From Sept 2019 / JABU: 9th Convocation Ceremony, 25 Graduates Bags First Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.