Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,329 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 (22891 Views)

10 African Countries With The Highest Minimum Wage / List Of Africa’s Highest Minimum Wages Per Month / Maritime Workers Threaten Strike Over Arrest Of 20 Dockworkers In Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by akelicious(m): 5:11am On Nov 27, 2018
President-general of the Maritime Workers Union (MWUN), Comrade Adewale Adeyanju, at the weekend said private terminal operators at the nation’s seaports have substantially increased the wages earned by dockworkers from an average of N10,000 before the 2006 port concession to about N150,000.

Adeyanju, who stated this while speaking with newsmen in Lagos, said dockworkers now enjoy much better working condition compared to what was obtained in the pre-concession era.

According to him, “Before concession, they are just using us as slaves in our fatherland. Nobody knew what his take home pay would be. Sometimes, some people get between N10, 000 and N20, 000 per month but today, it has improved tremendously to between N100, 000 and N150, 000.”

Adeyanju, who lauded terminal operators for increasing the wages of dockworkers in spite of the low volume of import in the country, appealed to the Federal Government to urgently fix the dilapidated port access roads, which, he said, is adversely affecting port operation and the nation’s economy.

The roads to the seaports, according to him, are bad and because of that some of the vessels that are supposed to come to the port are sometimes diverted to neighbouring countries.

“Some of the dockworkers are on payment by tonnage; some are on permanent employment while some are on unit payment. For those on payment by tonnage, it is the higher the tonnage, the better payment for them so the bad road is affecting our members,” he pointed out.

The union leader, however, appealed to the terminal operators to urgently sign the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for a review of retirement benefit for dockworkers.

To him, “We are not being rigid in negotiations so that we can accommodate both the employer and the employee. We are not demanding so much because we felt all of us are working together. If the economy is improved, the lives of the workers will also improve. We don’t want to be rigid in our negotiation and that is what is causing the delay now.

https://leadership.ng/2018/11/27/minimum-wage-dockworkers-wages-rise-to-n150-000/

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Nobody: 5:12am On Nov 27, 2018
Good one.

This new government are here to stay for many more years.

We will get there.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by madridguy(m): 5:17am On Nov 27, 2018
Impressive. I need to get job at NPA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by coolcharm(m): 5:39am On Nov 27, 2018
Concessions means private sector involvement building, financing, owning and operating government owned facilities, with obligation to hand it back to the state after a specified time.

Concessions, privatisation, and outright sales of government assets turned liabilities are ways governments free themselves up and avoid pouring tax payers monies down the drain.

It is the only way government businesses can work in Nigeria and this is a classical example.

Every other person understands this except Buhari and his Zombies

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by coolcharm(m): 5:41am On Nov 27, 2018
TheGreenLand:
Good one.

We will get there.

Which new government are you talking about? Definitely not the useless change or imaginary next level government.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 27, 2018
coolcharm:

Which new government are you talking about? Definitely not the useless change or imaginary next level government.

If that is what you think on your brain, you cant be help.
And next time, dont quote me with foolishness or you will be sorry!
Bye!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by coolcharm(m): 5:53am On Nov 27, 2018
TheGreenLand:

If that is what you think on your brain, you cant be help.
And next time, dont quote me with foolishness or you will be sorry!
Bye!

It appears your brain is having malaria this morning.

You made a lose polictial statement. Instead of clarifying what you meant by 'this new government', you are here yarning dust.

Abeg comot for road.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Optional09: 6:03am On Nov 27, 2018
Sowore is teaching these people how to rule Nigerian why don’t we give him a chance.

This government knows they can increase salary of workers to 150k yet they’re paying them 10k
That’s delebrate wickedness, if Sowore didn’t say anything people would have continued in their suffering and smiling.

Vote wisely 2019

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 27, 2018
So they started paying them 10K, when this new government came on?!
And they increased it to 150K during which government?!
What kind of youths do we have in this country sef?!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by coolcharm(m): 6:14am On Nov 27, 2018
TheGreenLand:
Lol this my friend... You need to go back and get refund of all the monies your people spent on sending you to school.

But before then, read the post again.

Try to understand what concession means.

Know what year 2006 was.

Know who was president then.

And then.... Give yourself sense.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by escodotman: 6:17am On Nov 27, 2018
TheGreenLand:
Seems you lack the capacity to understand a simple write-up. All you do is turn yourself to a miscreant commenting on every thread, praising the failure in Aso rock.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 27, 2018
It's always hard when you try to set records straight with slow reasoning people blinded by hate.
They are time waster.
Make I wait for reasonable people to reason with jarey!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Bizmagnet: 8:55am On Nov 27, 2018
Kudos to FG on this one.

Do you want quality blogs, websites or softwares for your ideas, companies, schools, churches and businesses?

WhatsApp me today on: 081 two three four 199 six seven

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Alejob: 8:55am On Nov 27, 2018
grin

Mula
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Kenekingisback: 8:56am On Nov 27, 2018
You mean N15,000?
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by OhiOfIhima: 8:56am On Nov 27, 2018
God, shine ur light onto me oo... I need sometin related or close to that salary oo
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 27, 2018
Again....Keep up the great job FG.

Iamanigerianguy , are you ready?
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by lolade3849: 8:57am On Nov 27, 2018
why is this so na
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by richfriendsng: 8:57am On Nov 27, 2018
Do you know if you are running an offline business,you are still operating an analog business in a digital world.
I can help you boost your sale with massive customers by creating a website for you, check my siggy to know how,
I Also create for artisans and church and schools
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by outlooka5(f): 8:57am On Nov 27, 2018
How many % increments? shocked
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by OhiOfIhima: 8:58am On Nov 27, 2018
Kenekingisback:
You mean N15,000?

no, N150,000...
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by hardywaltz(m): 8:58am On Nov 27, 2018
Ok
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by chinavs9ja(m): 8:58am On Nov 27, 2018
Cool

I am a web designer, check my signature
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by pol23: 8:58am On Nov 27, 2018
If we have minimum wages...I think there should be maximum too...
And governors and Senators should be the least earning including bonuses and allowance... Ambode shouldn't earn more than lawma officials....
We know they'll still Ganduje money somehow...but let's start from there.
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by Metuh: 8:59am On Nov 27, 2018
TheGreenLand:
Good one.
We will get there.
Olodo it's a private sector.

Read and understand.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by BackToLife: 8:59am On Nov 27, 2018
Re: Minimum Wage: Dockworkers’ Wages Rise To N150, 000 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:00am On Nov 27, 2018
TheGreenLand:
Good one.

We will get there.

Were you born stupid or you became so later ? It says in the story that the wage increase was mainly due to privatization and concession of the ports. Did Buhari do that ?

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Quotes All Entrepreneurs Should Memorize / Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / How Much Was Your Very First Salary As A Graduate Or Non Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.