Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please (1487 Views)

I got the Pontiac Vibe / My Toyota Corolla Jerks On Motion / 1.3 Million Ford F-150 Recalled Due To Doors That May Open On Motion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 11:38am On Nov 28, 2018
2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self depressed accelerator' on motion! I have questions please

Good day good people of car talk,

Yesterday 27-11-2018 will always be a day to remember to thank God for life and sanity, for my brother's wife. She was returning from her son's school after dropping him, while on motion, on a rough untarred road, the accelerator/throttle developed a mind of its own and took off with high speed. Leaving the brake lifeless without any effect. After racing and struggling for about 100m the car ran into a shop and fence.

My question now are, what could be the cause?
Why will a car accelerate itself?
Why will the brake refuse to catch?

I did little asking from my junior brother who is a natural car enthusiast, he told me it's a factory error, that Toyota recalled those vehicles even. He said something like carpet resting on something under the throttle pedal.

But I want more clarification from the rich knowledge abundant on car talk....

Cc
Gazzuzz
Radautoworks
Egunmogaji
thebigkendo (my troublesome Oga)
Kingreign
Oluwaseunla
timifakay
diportivo
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 11:56am On Nov 28, 2018
One more question, if it's a factory error, what can be done to correct it?
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:59am On Nov 28, 2018
Pls no one should quote all the profile names at the top so we don't all get mentions.

There was nothing wrong with the car, it's just a poorly placed footmat.

Next time turn off the car or slip it into neutral$

3 Likes

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 12:06pm On Nov 28, 2018
Thank you sir... I like your promptness. More knowledge!

Oga oo, so na ordinary Footmat cause gbege yesterday...
We thank God for life.
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 12:09pm On Nov 28, 2018
Can something be done to avoid Footmat from causing such trouble.

It happened to an inexperienced woman, that only knows how to move car and that's all.

I learned it do happen to Camrys and corollas

Please what can be done?
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:34pm On Nov 28, 2018
remove the floormat no ni

1 Like

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 28, 2018
Gazzuzz has it covered. Take Madam to a field and practice emergency.

There’s no brake made that will stop an in motion vehicle under full throttle application.

On a side note, for those running diesels, please research “Diesel engine run away”.
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 12:49pm On Nov 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Gazzuzz has it covered. Take Madam to a field and practice emergency.

There’s no brake made that will stop an in motion vehicle under full throttle application.

On a side note, for those running diesels, please research “Diesel engine run away”.

Thank you sir... I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by makavele: 12:50pm On Nov 28, 2018
Mayor555:
2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self depressed accelerator' on motion! I have questions please

Yesterday 27-11-2018 will always be a day to remember to thank God for life and sanity, for my brother's wife. She was returning from her son's school after dropping him, while on motion, on a rough untarred road, the accelerator/throttle developed a mind of its own and took off with high speed. Leaving the brake lifeless without any effect. After racing and struggling for about 100m the car ran into a shop and fence.

I did little asking from my junior brother who is a natural car enthusiast, he told me it's a factory error, that Toyota recalled those vehicles even. He said something like carpet resting on something under the throttle pedal.

Cc
Gazzuzz
Radautoworks
Egunmogaji
thebigkendo (my troublesome Oga)
Kingreign
Oluwaseunla
timifakay
diportivo

ok
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 12:51pm On Nov 28, 2018
People should please learn and teach their folks... It was ugly yesterday... Especially those using Toyotas.
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 12:52pm On Nov 28, 2018
makavele:

ok

My Oga, why now? Why should you quote the whole post with usernames inclusive?

Please correct that sir... Pleaseee
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by makavele: 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2018
Somebody "threatened us" not to quote the whole thing . .
so I want him to carry out his threat grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 1:02pm On Nov 28, 2018
makavele:

With understanding we will live in peace, it wasn't a threat. He only wanted to avoid double mention.... He attends to many mentions everyday.... Don't give him double work ...

Please try and understand... It wasn't anything near threat.
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by thebigkendo(m): 2:26pm On Nov 28, 2018
makavele:

For your village dem dey threaten with "PLS"
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by thebigkendo(m): 2:31pm On Nov 28, 2018
Mayor555:

Cc
theb.igkendo (my troublesome Oga) Innocent me
diportivo
Many factors can cause it..
-Defective pedal
-Defective Accelerator pedal position sensor(APP)
-Footmat pushing on the pedal
-Electrical glitch
-Village people

Experienced it once when I drove a friend's EOD,
- Noticed the car picked up speed, RPM was raising (mogbé)
- Removed my leg from accelerator - no response
- Applied the brake - Brakes held but car was still moving fast
- I thought the footmat was pushing the Accelerator - tried using the back of my feet to pull it back, it was already at the return position.
- Slip the gear to neutral
- Cleared off the road & turned off the car

My friends in the car did not know anything happened, till I parked..
Friend: Guy wetin happen, why you park now
Ken: Village people oh grin grin grin
After plenty on & off.. Car was still revving itself.

Removed the battery terminal for 5 minutes, placed it back and everything went back to normal.. 5 months after, the problem has not reoccurred
Root cause - Village people QED

Abi GAZZUZZ Radautoworks wetin una think??

1 Like

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2018
thebigkendo:

Many factors can cause it..
-Defective pedal
-Defective Accelerator pedal position sensor(APP)
-Footmat pushing on the pedal
-Electrical glitch
-Village people

Experienced it once when I drove a friend's EOD,
- Noticed the car picked up speed, RPM was raising (mogbé)
- Removed my leg from accelerator - no response
- Applied the brake - Brakes held but car was still moving fast
- I thought the footmat was pushing the Accelerator - tried using the back of my feet to pull it back, it was already at the return position.
- Slip the gear to neutral
- Cleared off the road & turned off the car

My friends in the car did not know anything happened, till I parked..
Friend: Guy wetin happen, why you park now
Ken: Village people oh grin grin grin
After plenty on & off.. Car was still revving itself.

Removed the battery terminal for 5 minutes, placed it back and everything went back to normal.. 5 months after, the problem has not reoccurred
Root cause - Village people QED

Lols, my Man,
Village people kawai.... Something should be done about them already.

We thank God for life.
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Somatic(m): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2018
Is awa work O!

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by makavele: 6:48pm On Nov 28, 2018
thebigkendo:

For your village dem dey threaten with "PLS"

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by HBola(m): 7:08am On Nov 29, 2018
The person that explained factory defects to you did not lie.
Toyota lied about the cause of unintended acceleration and the floor mat things is bollocks. Read about it yourself here. https://mashable.com/2014/03/19/toyota-lied-aceleration-recall/
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by AgentGoat: 7:48am On Nov 29, 2018
The car was hacked smiley
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 8:07am On Nov 29, 2018
HBola:
The person that explained factory defects to you did not lie.
Toyota lied about the cause of unintended acceleration and the floor mat things is bollocks. Read about it yourself here. https://mashable.com/2014/03/19/toyota-lied-aceleration-recall/

Thanks, I'll read through.
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by Mayor555(m): 8:09am On Nov 29, 2018
AgentGoat:
The car was hacked smiley

Awon hacker Aye..hope you don't belong there? ... But God pass them...

We really thank God
Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe 'self Depressed Accelerator' On Motion! Come In Please by sultaan(m): 12:43am On Nov 30, 2018
No matter how hard you press your accelerator your break should always be able to stop/slow your car down enough for you to control you have to put your gear in neutral.

Check to see how clean your throttle body is ( in case a chunk of carbon is keeping it open) and if your cable is frayed/ hanging up.

If your in-law drives with her shoes off, one might have ended up under the brake pedal

Your in-law will have to learn emergency procedures

(1) (Reply)

Who Can Say The Full Meaning Of This Plate Number? / Advice On 2017 Nissan Pathfinder / Foreign Used Year 2000 Toyota Avensis For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.