Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism (19138 Views)

Nora Roberts Replies Accusation Of Plagiarism By Tomi Adeyemi In Style / Nigerian Writer Blasted For Accusing American Writer Nora Roberts Of Theft / Tomi Adeyemi Gets Hollywood Deal For New Book (kwenu) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Edithfavourite: 8:18am On Nov 30, 2018
A few days back, Nigerian author Tomi Adeyemi called out American writer, Nora Roberts accusing her of stealing her book title.

'it would be nice if an artist could create something special without another artist trying to shamelessly profit off it' went viral and certainly got the attention of the international community'. Adeyrmi wrote on Twitter

Nora Roberts reached out to her, explained things and Tomi was forced to make a partial retaction saying,
'Nora was kind enough to reach out & explain that today was the first she’d heard of my book. After talking to her, I believe our titles were created in isolation. I’m grateful she explained & I’ve apologized, but I wanted to address it here as I know others were upset too'.

Nora has now taken out time to react in a lenghty and epic manner to the false accusations and social media can't get enough of it.

Read her response below:

I’m not on Twitter. I’ve said before and will say again, I’d rather be poked in the eye with a burning stick than tweet. I’m only on Instagram and Facebook because the amazing Laura runs the show.

I write. I spend my days working, my evenings either working or with my family. Or zoned in front of the TV, basically brain dead.

I don’t spend much time on social media. I recognize its power, I appreciate its ability to connect writers with readers. And I also understand how easily it can be weaponized to incite flame wars. So I’m very careful with my use of it–and Laura is even more so.

I write. It’s what I do. What I love and what I’ve spent three decades learning how to do well. Or as well as I possibly can.

But there are a lot of authors who spend a great deal of time on social media. Some are absolute geniuses with the tools, and use them beautifully.

Others. Not so much.

I don’t believe, and have never believed in taking personal issues onto public forums. I don’t believe, and have never believed–will never believe–in a writer attacking another writing on a public forum. It’s unprofessional, it’s tacky and the results are, always, just always, ugly.

Recently another writer used her social media forums to baselessly, recklessly accuse me of stealing the title of her book–which is bullshit right off–to attempt to profit from this theft. She had no facts, just her emotions, and threw this out there for her followers.

First, let’s address the particular title which happens to be similar. I titled this particular book, wrote this book, turned this book into my publisher nearly a year before her book–a first novel–was published. So unless I conquered the time/space continuum, my book was actually titled before hers. Regardless, you can’t copyright a title. And titles, like broad ideas, just float around in the creative clouds. It’s what’s inside that counts.

It’s just a title.

By accusing me, in public, of attempting to ‘shamelessly profit’ off of her creativity, she incited her readers into attacking me–on her feed, then on my pages, then on the internet in general. She did nothing to stop this. I have been accused of theft, of trying to use this first time writer–whose book has been well received–for my own profit. To ride her coattails as I have no originality. This after more than thirty years in the business, more than two hundred books.

I was accused of plagiarism–for a title–of stealing her ideas–though I had never heard of her book before this firestorm, have never read her book.

And trust me, I never will now.

This is what happens when a reckless statement is made on social media. It becomes a monstrous lie that spreads and grows and escalates.

I don’t know this woman; she doesn’t know me. She lit the match, foolishly. Perhaps being young and new and so recently successful she doesn’t fully understand the relationship between a writer and her readers, or the power of an ugly insinuation posted on Twitter. But, God, you should know how tools work before you use them.

We should all take a lesson here. Think, then think again, before you post. Be sure of your facts before you take a shot at someone. Be prepared for the vicious fallout once you do.

Could you have dug a little deeper to check facts? Could you have contacted the person in question and had a conversation? In this case–writer to writer–could you have spoken to your publisher, your agent, about the fact that a title can’t be stolen in the first place?
Could you have, perhaps, checked the timeline? If your book came out a few months before the other book (and if you know SQUAT about publishing) you’d certainly realize it was written, titled and in production when yours hit the stands. So how could a damn title be ‘stolen’?

To be accused of plagiarism by some faceless reader on the internet, one who felt entitled to spread that lie gutted me. I’ve been plagiarized, and will always have an open wound from the blow. To me, plagiarism is the most terrible sin a writer can commit.

I have worked my entire career to build a foundation of professionalism, of teamwork with my publisher, to create a community with other writers, and to show readers I value them–not just with communication, but by doing my best to give them good books.

No one who knows me would believe any of these accusations. But that’s the problem. Those making them don’t know me, they simply lash out because they can.

This foolish and false statement has damaged my reputation. Vicious and ugly accusations and names have been tossed at me when I did nothing but write and title a book.

While this writer issued a kind of retraction after I reached out to her, it didn’t stop some of her readers from calling me a liar, and worse. We reached out again, asking her to put out the fire.

We’ve had no response, not from her, not from her agent.

Shame on them.

I had every intention of letting this go, until the flames kept burning, until the attacks kept coming. And nothing was done by the person who lit the match to stop it.

I don’t like taking my issues public. But I will stand up for myself. I will defend my integrity and my reputation and my work.

I’m appalled by this, sickened by it. I’m disgusted that people who don’t know me would feel free to say vicious things about me. I know very well the anonymity of the internet can foster such nastiness, but it still disgusts me.

Words have great power–to harm, to heal, to teach, to entertain. A writer, one who wants to forge a career with words, should understand that. And use them, as well as the tools at her disposal, wisely.

I’ve very deliberately not mentioned the name of the writer who started this, or the title of her book or mine. I don’t want this to escalate any more than it has. I don’t want my readers to go on the attack. It’s not cool . I simply want to set the record straight.

I’m Nora Roberts. I’m a hard-working writer, and an honest one.

That’s it.

https://zenithnaija.com/nora-roberts-responds-to-accusations-of-plagiarism-by-nigerian-writer/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Mrdason: 12:18pm On Nov 30, 2018
So you who is lying of plagiarism among the two
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by vizkiz: 12:19pm On Nov 30, 2018
Errr.... Summary?

6 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Opinionated: 12:19pm On Nov 30, 2018
Na wah

Do you want to publish your book to a global audience?

Try these guys.
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by bknight: 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2018
Nora, you just offered her free publicity. She achieved her cunning aim undecided

Same strategy wizkid & tiwa deployed for their planned song release.

Controversy.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Pidginwhisper: 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2018
Again? angry

2 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Fierce11: 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2018
Nora said she hasn't seen Tomi's book...
(*Laffs)..
Insignificant people always trying to make themselves relevant by attaching to a prominent individual.
Buffalowings3:

Children of hate
Displaying your ignorance and stupidity upandan
The novel is no 1 Newyorktimes best seller
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Blood_and_Bone

She's within her right
Adult of love.
Displaying your intelligence and smartness upandan.
Earthbound post=73380508:
There's nothing more painful than intellectual theft. I stand by my countrywoman.
By the way, there is a clear difference between Tomi's "Children of blood and bones" aand Nora's "Of blood and bones".
The text quoted above, was my comment on the post referring to Tomi's accusation. It was actually funny -and silly- that "learned" people mentioned me to insult me.
I have been vindicated. I hope that stupidity would also be detached from those that spewed trash at me.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2018
Such a long story. It could have been way shorter.

1 Like

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by gurunlocker: 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2018
Na her reaction long like this? How her book wan take be?

24 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by enemyofprogress: 12:22pm On Nov 30, 2018
I have been worried since I heard they are using virgins for rituals. Oh Lord, pls protect me

5 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by babyfaceafrica: 12:23pm On Nov 30, 2018
Good..some people just like talking before thinking......

1 Like

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by bigkahuna704(m): 12:23pm On Nov 30, 2018
Very mature Reply.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by tachacute(f): 12:23pm On Nov 30, 2018
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Lordofthewest(m): 12:23pm On Nov 30, 2018
Come here lemme disvirgin you so you'd become unusable.
enemyofprogress:
I have been worried since I heard they are using virgins for rituals. Oh Lord, pls protect me

2 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 30, 2018
How can anyone accuse my darling Nora Roberts of plagiarism? How?

23 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by deepwater(f): 12:26pm On Nov 30, 2018
Do they still read books in Nigeria?

Peeps are engage in body parts sales...

3 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Alejob: 12:27pm On Nov 30, 2018
Second time today..... grin
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by eskimoeze: 12:29pm On Nov 30, 2018
Alright, tittle of a book cannot be stolen.

2 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 30, 2018
Beyond the war of words, the very similar choice of title shows both ladies have alot in common. They should get together and become friends grin

One can be the mentor while the other will be the mentee. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Negotiate: 12:32pm On Nov 30, 2018
How many times on front page?
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Lyoncrescent: 12:37pm On Nov 30, 2018
There have been several books containing the title blood and bone even before the Tomi girl wrote her own. It's cheap publicity to accuse Nora of plagiarism when there have been similar titles that could also have accused Tomi.

8 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by babadey(m): 12:38pm On Nov 30, 2018
By the manner at which each played their role on this issue, it shows Nora is matured.
You have to get your facts very right before accusing someone of plagiarism. That's the worst sin a writer could commit.
The internet was there for miss attention-$eeker to confirm and affirm her claims about the issue of theft before going to tweeter to shout foul play.

We Nigerian just think it's free to mess someone's being by words spoken out of our mouths.

Tomi is a whole mishmash of nonsense peppered by not being famous as a writer. And you don't climb success ladder by painting your colleagues (or anyone) black.

22 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by megareal: 12:38pm On Nov 30, 2018
You can't steal a book title simple. And now Nora has called that Tomi girl a fool because she could not check facts before screaming out.
Typical Nigerian reaction of run before you ask "wetin dey pursue us? "

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Buffalowings3(m): 12:48pm On Nov 30, 2018
Stupid woman..
She wanted to cash in on the rave reviews of tom's novel..
Why not choose another title.

I still maintain my stand...
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by barrybanbi: 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2018
Adeyemi, I do not know, but Nora has been in the business for a very long time and her creativity and originality is not in doubt. She can write sad story lines that can makes you cry your eyes out. I still remember one of her book titled “Full circle”. Most of her books always start with sad stories or ends with one.

10 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by francesawesome(f): 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2018
Do you want to earn 50k - 100k monthly? Chat me up on Watsapp 08133263559
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Buffalowings3(m): 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2018
It is no wonder the intellectual capacity of nora readers.

I read serious work of literature not some drab romance textbook..
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Paschalp(m): 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2018
Her reply shows she cannot even plagiarize seff

I believe she is too intelligent for that, and it is right for her to outrightly protect her integrity and reputation

As she said 'a writer should understand words...'

14 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by paparazzi1987(m): 12:58pm On Nov 30, 2018
someone no fit joke with u ni ...kilagbe kileju grin
Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:01pm On Nov 30, 2018
bknight:
Nora, you just offered her free publicity. She achieved her cunning aim undecided

Same strategy wizkid & tiwa deployed for their planned song release.

Controversy.

You're a strange being. If she'd not debunked the accusation, you'd have said she's guilty. wtf man, that's some bipolar sh!t.

6 Likes

Re: Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism by Ericnrm(m): 1:04pm On Nov 30, 2018
Buffalowings3:
Stupid woman..
She wanted to cash in on the rave reviews of tom's novel..
Why not choose another title.

I still maintain my stand...

Your stupidity reeks

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Of These Did You Read? / Christopher (A Short Story) / How An Encounter With A Marijuana Smoker Helped Solved My Problem- Johnspeak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.