Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,311 members, 7,864,479 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:03 PM

Age Isn't A Barrier To Achieving Your Dreams And Life Goals - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Age Isn't A Barrier To Achieving Your Dreams And Life Goals (394 Views)

Mr Jollof Isn't A Straight Forward Person -- OAP Michael Effiong / 10 Practical Ways To Make Your Dreams Come True And Enjoy Life / Disability Is Not A Barrier, Disabled Shoe Maker(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Age Isn't A Barrier To Achieving Your Dreams And Life Goals by Timil: 2:39pm On Dec 01, 2018
On Thursday, we had an end-of-term feast with some of my course mates. It was interesting, but one story struck a cord in me.

My Professor got married as a teenager. Had four children by the age of 26.

She raised them and at 35, she decided to go back to school. At 35, she had to sort out her O'level first, and she then started her degree.

At her age, she was scooping As. She graduated top of class. Then went for her master's straight away.

She started lecturing after her master's degree.

She persevered and at 50, she had her PhD.

By mid 50s, she was already a prof.

She is 65 now, and she is the academic head of her department.

She went back to school at 35, and she was still able to make it to the peak of her career.

Her youngest child is 39. She has 18 grandchildren.

She told me this story after I told her that I'm getting old and not where I want to be. And she was like "You aren't even close to 35 and you already have your masters. At 35, I was yet to gain admission into college. But I did it."

Sometime last year, a lady who got married as a teenager came inbox to tell me how she is angry because she got married too early, had 4 children, and now she wants to go and live her dream. I encouraged her to live her dream. She has a bachelor's degree in Chemistry but she wants to be a Pharmacist. She's only 36.

There are many women in similar situations, and even some men. I want you all to know that it is never too late to live your dream, as long as you are still alive and healthy.

It was in London I met men and women in their 50s and coming back to University, for their bachelor's degrees.

In my class, we've got some in their 40s and some in their 50s. One already has a few grandchildren.

I do NOT believe that getting married and having children should stop any woman from living her dreams. Maybe because I come from a family where all the women continued pursuing their dreams and careers while being wives and mothers. And I intend to pursue my PhD after having my 2 kids.

A Facebook friend has just celebrated his mum who just graduated from UNN at 55, and she graduated with a second class upper division.

Technically, yesterday, a 55 year old widowed mother of 4 and a virtually impaired young man of 25 both graduated from UNN, each with a second class upper division. Tell me again, what is your excuse?

You've got just one life to live. If there's anything you want to achieve, go right ahead and achieve that thing.

I've got my own dreams, and I'll keep making efforts to live those dreams for as long as I live, I'm healthy and I'm capable.

It's 1st December. The last month of the year. I hope that the Joy of the season remain with us and our loved ones even beyond the season.

PS: When I say "Live your dreams", I'm not only talking about education. I'm talking about that dream you've always had. No matter what it is.

Source: https://web.facebook.com/nkechi.bianze/posts/10157751894402195

cc: Freiburger, r231
Re: Age Isn't A Barrier To Achieving Your Dreams And Life Goals by Skyken99(m): 2:53pm On Dec 01, 2018
Nice write up!!
I have about 4mothers (or more) and 1father in my class...
Re: Age Isn't A Barrier To Achieving Your Dreams And Life Goals by DaddyBen009: 8:58am On Dec 13, 2018
Impressive
Lala do the needful

(1) (Reply)

Preston Assignment Help / Mum Who Still Breastfeeds Her 7-year Old And 4-year Old Kid Hits Back At Social / Geidam Town In Yobe Under Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.