Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,883 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? (3433 Views)

A Breakdown Of Yoruba Surname Meanings. / Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? / Where Does The Name Yoruba Originated From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 4:55pm On Dec 01, 2018
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and I'm from the UK. My mother is English and my father is Nigerian. My father doesn't really know much about his roots like that. He is an Ishan man from Edo State, Uromi and his surname is Jatto. His father's parents died when he was a child so his father doesn't know much about the generation above him. They don't really know much about where they are from because they grew up in Lagos. When I search up the surname Jatto on Facebook, mostly people from Kwara State, Kogi State and Auchi appear, and they are all Muslims. Jatto also comes up as a name in the Ebira tribe. I also try to find the origin of the surname and it says it's from IRAN. This confuses me also because British records have documents of Jatto people living in the UK as early as 1800s as well as a few Eastern European countries.

This is irrelevant but my father's parents are light skinned and when I delved more into the history of Ishan or Eshan people - they seem to be associated with Portuguese people; could this be why my father's parents are light skinned? I also researched about the Nupe invasion on the Esanland so maybe my father's relatives where from that tribe and settled down there? I'm just wondering if anyone could help me? Thanks.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Redoil: 5:02pm On Dec 01, 2018
Names like badmos kuti momoh and jatto makes no sense and have no meaning. People just bear the names just for the sake of the sound
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 5:06pm On Dec 01, 2018
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by scholes0(m): 5:20pm On Dec 01, 2018
JBoleynJatto:
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and I'm from the UK. My mother is English and my father is Nigerian. My father doesn't really know much about his roots like that. He is an Ishan man from Edo State, Uromi and his surname is Jatto. His father's parents died when he was a child so his father doesn't know much about the generation above him. They don't really know much about where they are from because they grew up in Lagos. When I search up the surname Jatto on Facebook, mostly people from Kwara State, Kogi State and Auchi appear, and they are all Muslims. Jatto also comes up as a name in the Ebira tribe. I also try to find the origin of the surname and it says it's from IRAN. This confuses me also because British records have documents of Jatto people living in the UK as early as 1800s as well as a few Eastern European countries.

This is irrelevant but my father's parents are light skinned and when I delved more into the history of Ishan or Eshan people - they seem to be associated with Portuguese people; could this be why my father's parents are light skinned? I also researched about the Nupe invasion on the Esanland so maybe my father's relatives where from that tribe and settled down there? I'm just wondering if anyone could help me? Thanks.

Take a DNA test half of your issues will be solved.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 5:31pm On Dec 01, 2018
scholes0:

Take a DNA test half of your issues will be solved.

I'm planning on taking African Ancestry DNA, but I wanted to know if anybody had an idea on where the surname was from and if anyone using this surname had an idea.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by scholes0(m): 6:24pm On Dec 01, 2018
JBoleynJatto:

I'm planning on taking African Ancestry DNA, but I wanted to know if anybody had an idea on where the surname was from and if anyone using this surname had an idea.

Most likely Nupe.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by drips8(m): 8:41pm On Dec 01, 2018
JBoleynJatto:

I know a guy who bears jatto as his last name and he's from kogi.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 8:51pm On Dec 01, 2018
scholes0:

Most likely Nupe.

Ah right. I was thinking this too since the surname is mostly associated with people around the area of Kogi State. Thanks for your help, I now know the kind of results I will be expecting from the DNA test.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 8:52pm On Dec 01, 2018
drips8:

I know a guy who bears jatto as his last name and he's from kogi.

Having looked on Facebook I noticed some sort of correlation between people named Jatto and the area of Kogi. Thanks for your helps!
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 01, 2018
Jos.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by barag(f): 2:33pm On Dec 02, 2018
Most people who bear Jatto as surname are either from Edo state or Yoruba. Especially the northern part of Edo. Your Grandfather might have Uncles or Aunties still in Nigeria who might be of help. Do let us know when you find answers
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:26pm On Dec 02, 2018
The name has a strong Fulani ring to it. But I cannot be sure; Fulaman can help.

In any case it is definitely of northern Nigerian origin. Its presence in northern Edo and parts of Yoruba is a direct consequence of the jihad. The same way Bello (another name of Fulani origin) is now also used in Northern Edo and parts of Yoruba largely as a result of the Fulani-inspired Jihad.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Firmjudge(m): 6:59am On Dec 03, 2018
indeed an apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Jatto for me I think belongs to the Ebira tribe of Kogi state and their most likely neighbours are those in northern Edo's so if they also bear the name it's okay and just not new.

You are not close to the Nupe tribe because they are not light skinned.

However, the Ebira people are mostly light skinned and this could explain your curiosity I really don't know much about the Ishan people of Edo state.

I have friends who bear the surname Jatto and are from Kogi state Ebira land to be precise.

It could prolly be that your paternal parent relocated from Kogi and lost track of their origin this is very common.
I wish you well.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 8:28pm On Dec 03, 2018
RedboneSmith:
The name has a strong Fulani ring to it. But I cannot be sure; Fulaman can help.

In any case it is definitely of northern Nigerian origin. Its presence in northern Edo and parts of Yoruba is a direct consequence of the jihad. The same way Bello (another name of Fulani origin) is now also used in Northern Edo and parts of Yoruba largely as a result of the Fulani-inspired Jihad.

Sorry for the late reply but that is very interesting I never knew this. I've ordered the kit so it's possible I might get Fulani results.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 8:31pm On Dec 03, 2018
Firmjudge:
indeed an apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Jatto for me I think belongs to the Ebira tribe of Kogi state and their most likely neighbours are those in northern Edo's so if they also bear the name it's okay and just not new.

You are not close to the Nupe tribe because they are not light skinned.

However, the Ebira people are mostly light skinned and this could explain your curiosity I really don't know much about the Ishan people of Edo state.

I have friends who bear the surname Jatto and are from Kogi state Ebira land to be precise.

It could prolly be that your paternal parent relocated from Kogi and lost track of their origin this is very common.
I wish you well.

This is what I was thinking before because I saw a lot of Jatto's from Kogi, Edo, Kwara and a few times from the Nasarawa area. So I think I'll be expecting results from Kogi/Nasarawa because they are from the Ebira tribe or Fulani. To add - my grandmother is Ishan and she is fair-skinned but my grandfather is not to fair but not too dark; he's in the middle.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Firmjudge(m): 10:08pm On Dec 03, 2018
JBoleynJatto:

This is what I was thinking before because I saw a lot of Jatto's from Kogi, Edo, Kwara and a few times from the Nasarawa area. So I think I'll be expecting results from Kogi/Nasarawa because they are from the Ebira tribe or Fulani. To add - my grandmother is Ishan and she is fair-skinned but my grandfather is not to fair but not too dark; he's in the middle.

Trully the middle belt is riddled with the name Jatto even southern Kaduna pips bear the name Jato.

But the key is in the spelling.. the Ebira prefers with a double T which makes their own spelling outstanding and unique the Nasarawa Egon tribe and southern Kaduna prefers the variance with a single T.

Your search is narrowed down to a double TT making it easier to search..
I am from the middlebelt and this is the little I have noticed..
Good luck
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by ImperialYoruba: 6:15am On Dec 04, 2018
Redoil:
Names like badmos kuti momoh and jatto makes no sense and have no meaning. People just bear the names just for the sake of the sound

I think Jatto is actually Jatau. I could be wrong though.

Gbadamosi is what was changed to Badmos/Badmus.

Momoh is Mohammed.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 6:59pm On Dec 04, 2018
Firmjudge:

Trully the middle belt is riddled with the name Jatto even southern Kaduna pips bear the name Jato.

But the key is in the spelling.. the Ebira prefers with a double T which makes their own spelling outstanding and unique the Nasarawa Egon tribe and southern Kaduna prefers the variance with a single T.

Your search is narrowed down to a double TT making it easier to search..
I am from the middlebelt and this is the little I have noticed..
Good luck

That's interesting. Thank you.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 7:07pm On Dec 04, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

I think Jatto is actually Jatau. I could be wrong though.

Gbadamosi is what was changed to Badmos/Badmus.

Momoh is Mohammed.

This is also interesting too. This is just a theory, but maybe, my paternal ancestors had the surname Jatau and were part of a jihad (as mentioned by a poster above) and gradually settled down around the Okene/Kogi region where their surname was changed to Jatto, as there wasn't an official dictionary on how names were spelt then and maybe they copied the style of the Ebira. They then may have traveled further south to Uromi. Well I have ordered the DNA kit which is coming on Wednesday, so until then I'll just have to guess!
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JikanBaura(m): 2:01pm On Dec 05, 2018
Jatto sounds fulani.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by JBoleynJatto: 4:42pm On Dec 05, 2018
JikanBaura:
Jatto sounds fulani.

Another poster above has said the same thing as well. Quite interesting really because I've never expected to hear anything Fulani. So from most comments, it's quite clear now that the surname Jatto is definitely from the north at least. My DNA kit came this morning, so I'm going to take my test later today when I get home from work.
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 28, 2019
My surname is Jatto and I am Ebira from Kogi state.
However, I was born and bred outside the state and have scarcely been there.
My Father and grandfather were also raised outside the state but when I asked, I was told it's a term used for light skinned people, especially when being compared with the white, e.g what many Nigerians call "Oyinbo".
I don't have much information asides this, but will make more enquiries.
I hope this helps and invite everyone who has some information to enlighten us on the quest of our roots.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Nobody: 2:12am On Mar 28, 2019
JBoleynJatto:

Another poster above has said the same thing as well. Quite interesting really because I've never expected to hear anything Fulani. So from most comments, it's quite clear now that the surname Jatto is definitely from the north at least. My DNA kit came this morning, so I'm going to take my test later today when I get home from work.
Hope you don't mind sharing the result of your test here?

2 Likes

Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by DamDami: 11:06am On May 12, 2019
Yes, please let us know. I am from the UK and my my parents also don’t know the origin of our surname
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by ymgiremawa(m): 12:47pm On May 12, 2019
Jatto is the corrupt version of hausa name for a red(white)man=jatau
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Nobody: 5:34am On May 15, 2019
ymgiremawa:
Jatto is the corrupt version of hausa name for a red(white)man=jatau
Do you have a reference to back up this claim?
Re: Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? by Maamin(m): 11:34pm On Feb 01
My surname is Jatto and I am Ebira from Kogi state.
However, I was born and bred outside the state and have scarcely been there.
My Father and grandfather were also raised outside the state but when I asked, I was told it's a term used for light skinned people, especially when being compared with the white, e.g what many Nigerians call "Oyinbo".
I don't have much information asides this, but will make more enquiries.
I hope this helps and invite everyone who has some information to enlighten us on the quest of our roots.

You are absolutely correct...I am Jatto as well from Kogi state an Ebira dude.

The name simply means "to be Fair in complexion"

(1) (Reply)

A'ibom At 34: Gov Emmanuel Inaugurates Apex Traditional Stool / Kabbalah Sex Magick & Blood Sacrifice Used To Control Western Religions Exposed / What Does It Mean To Fake Accent? - A Different Perspective

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.