Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Questions And Answers On AIDS/HIV As We Mark World AIDS/HIV Day - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Questions And Answers On AIDS/HIV As We Mark World AIDS/HIV Day (559 Views)

12 Years With HIV - Lady Marks World AIDS Day (Pictures) / Forty Years On, AIDS Is Not Over / Nigerians Mark World Condom Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Questions And Answers On AIDS/HIV As We Mark World AIDS/HIV Day by charlsecy(m): 9:15pm On Dec 01, 2018
1 December has been designated World AIDS/HIV Day since 1988.

This day we raise awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection and mourning those who have died of the condition.

On my part, I want to share some knowledge on the AIDS/HIV scourge.

Could you answer these 3 questions?

1. Does HIV cause illnesses?
2. Can you get HIV from an infected person's saliva?
3. Can two hiv-positive parents have a child who has no HIV?

If you couldn't answer the questions and be sure about your answers, I advise you read on:

OK.

Few months ago, I was discussing with a friend in Ogidi, a suburb of Onitsha. He made a comment that shocked me. He said a male person couldn't get HIV from an infected person during sexual intercourse unless he ejaculated during sex. So this guy believed he could have unprotected sex and not get the virus, provided he didn't release semen!

I was surprised at such a dangerous and false information. This could have put him at risk because he might have engaged in unprotected sex, believing he was secure if he didn't ejaculate.

Many of us are not fully informed about the whole idea of HIV/AIDS. So many bits of false information are flying round about the virus and condition.

This ignorance leads to unnecessary fear and misunderstanding, or it could lead to unhealthy behaviour while basking in a false sense of safety. So I have decided to put up some verified facts about HIV/AIDs. I have chosen to put it in a _question-and-answer_ format for desired clarity.

Is HIV the same as AIDS?

No. HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is the virus; while AIDS (Acquired ImmunoDeficiency Syndrome) is the set of illnesses and symptoms that follow if you allow the virus progress to advanced stages by not taking the required drugs and adopting a healthier lifestyle.

So you can have HIV without having AIDS, but if you have AIDS, you already have HIV. HIV will lead to AIDS if HIV infection is not given adequate medical attention.

[/b]Can you transmit AIDS?[/b]

No. What is transmittable is HIV.

How is the virus transmitted?

Let me be simple about this. HIV is transmitted by exposure to infected body fluids or objects.

How could you be exposed to infected body fluids/objects?

1. Unprotected sex (hetero- or homosexuality)
2. Blood transfusion
3. Mother-to-unborn-child transmission
4. Sharing of sharp objects, such as needles, syringes, razor, etc. contaminated by the virus.

The body fluids of interest are:

1. blood
2. semen, pre-seminal fluid
3. anal fluids
4. Vaginal fluids
5. breast milk

For transmission to occur, any of the infected fluid must come in contact with mucous membrane or damaged tissue (or bloodstream) of a person.

Did you notice I didn't mention saliva, sweat, feces, or urine? That's because the load of the virus therein is not sufficient to infect a person.

What of kissing? Can you get the virus via such means?

Chances are very, very low. However, having wounds in the mouth may increase the risk of an infection.

What of MouthAction (stimulating the penis with the mouth), cunnilingus (mouth on pussy), anilingus (mouth on anus)? Can I get the virus via such means?

Chances are low. However, having wounds in the mouth or private part may increase the risk of an infection.

Please note that other sexually communicable diseases such as syphilis, herpes, gonorrhea and chlamydia, etc. can be contracted through MouthAction.

Would you die if you have HIV?

Yes. Wait! But you would still die even if you had no HIV. Humans are mortal beings.

So I think a better question to ask is, "would HIV kill you?"

Ok, would HIV kill you?

No, it shouldn't kill you if you detect the virus on time, adopt a healthy lifestyle and take all the necessary medical treatments.

HIV only progresses to AIDS in people who refuse to get tested and take early treatments, if they have been infected. It is such people who die from AIDS complications.

What are some of the ways to prevent HIV infection?

1. Abstinence (or protected sex)
2. Ensuring blood or organ products are safe before transfusion or transplant.
3. Avoid sharing or using contaminated objects/fluids

Can you have sex with an HIV-positive person and not be infected with the virus?

Yes, that's possible especially if the infected person has been on anti-HIV medication such that their viral is very low. It is not 100% guaranteed that you would get the virus if you sleep with an infected person without protection. However, the higher the viral load, the higher the chance of transmission.

It's advisable to not take the risk. Abstain or use protection.

Can HIV infection be cured?

Currently, there are no proven drugs that completely kill the virus. Available anti-HIV drugs prevent the virus from multiplying, thereby limiting its spread and progression to AIDS.

If the patient carefully adheres to their anti-HIV treatment, they would still be infected, but it wouldn't progress to AIDS. They should live a normal life and wouldn't die of AIDS complications.

Anti-HIV medication called post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may stop you becoming infected if taken within 72 hours of being exposed to the virus.

Hopefully, in the future, drugs that will completely kill the virus might be developed.

Can two HIV-positive parents have a child without HIV?

Yes, that's possible. But the mother must:

1. have been taking anti-HIV drugs such that her viral load is drastically reduced (undetectable levels).

2. should take C-section operation if her viral load is detectable, or normal vaginal birth if her load is undetectable.

3. give the child anti-HIV drugs for about 6 weeks after delivery.

4. she should also avoid breastfeeding the child.

If the man is HIV-positive, while the woman is negative, he could donate his sperm to be washed so it becomes virus-free before [artificial] insemination.

Taking these step would reduce the chance of transmission to less than 1 in 100. That's a good enough news.

If you become infected, but doesn't take treatment, how long would you live?

If you become infected with HIV and doesn't take treatment, it may take up to 10 years before symptoms of AIDS manifest. It may be earlier or even later than that in some people.

Death can occur any time following manifestations of symptoms, especially if adequate treatment is not commenced.

It takes about 1 to 6 months after infection before the virus could be detected in a standard laboratory test.

I must say HIV, in and of itself, doesn't cause illnesses. What it does is to attack the cells responsible for fighting off infections in the body. When these disease-fighting cells are reduced, weakened or dead via the negative influence of HIV, all other diseases would take advantage of the weakness in your system and "play football" with your health. It is possible to have HIV and die of something else not related to AIDS.

Diseases that kill AIDS patients are everyday illnesses such as malaria, cough, pneumonia, typhoid, fever, tuberculosis, and a host of other opportunistic ailments.

In conclusion, I recommend people should not engage in risky behaviour that could expose them to HIV infection, or could make them infect others.

Some of the best treatments may not even be yet available in Nigeria, and they could be pretty expensive when sourced.

Having to take drugs all the days of your life is no child's play.

Infection is better avoided.

Know your HIV status. It's better for you and you won't die of hypertension as some wrongly think. If you're free, I say "congratulation." If you've become infected, take to counselling and commence treatments. You can still live a normal life.

Further readings:

(HIV Transmission)
(Safe Sex and HIV Prevention)
(HIV and Sex)
(What is the life expectancy for someone with HIV?)
https:///2LgJcSr and https:///2k9vdkQ (Sperm washing; Can two HIV-positive parents have an HIV-negative child?)

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Health Coaching / Natural Cancer Treatments That Work- CBD OIL, Latest Solution For Breast Cancer / Girl Left With Swollen Lips After Eating Hamburger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.