Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,932 members, 7,814,166 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

The Ancient Stone - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Ancient Stone (1056 Views)

The Cradle Of Human Civilization: 7 Ancient African Civilizations / Ancient African History Thread - Please Read / Ancient Magic Of Nissin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 7:39am On Dec 07, 2018
Hi, everyone! This is my first book and I'm excited to share it with all of you. I hope you enjoy reading as much as i enjoyed writing it.

All rights reserved.
No part of this work may be reproduced in any format, electronic or otherwise, or transmitted without permission from the author

Kelechi Opurum

------------

The battle for the stone which can give the ultimate power left twin girls, Gaby and Ray orphaned. Those who seek the stone, however, didn't realize the "stone" isn't just a stone. The stone is human.

Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 7:57am On Dec 07, 2018
Chapter one: The Beginning
They held each other as they ran through the fields they’ve known all their lives. The euphoria that overwhelmed them as they ran hand in hand each time through this field was not one that could get old. Their hairs drifted effortlessly in the wind as one blonde looked into her sister’s eyes. Her sister has been the only peace she’s known and even through their constant bickering, nowhere was home without Gabrielle, fondly called Gaby. Even at twenty two, Gaby and Ray seem inseparable. They were quite identical save for the color of their eyes. Gabrielle’s bluish eye was a contrast to Ray’s hazel eye. That was the only way people could tell them apart. They even played tricks on her whose matrix they came from, closing their eyes whenever they were up to their mischief and wanted to protect each other. There was no winning with them.

Ten years ago, just weeks before their twelfth birthday, there was a war; one that will change the course of their lives forever and one they’d never forget. Ray was in the barn with Sonnie their dog when she heard screams. Visibly shaken, she grabbed Sonnie and ran into the barn to hide. Gaby, who had been quite upset with Ray for spilling milk on her doll without apologizing , decided to shut her sister out by locking herself away in her room, sulking. She was oblivious of the terror that lay without, the one her sister just had a feel of.

Their parents, Mary and Thomas were local farmers. They prided in the things they achieved. It wasn’t much but they believed it was just sufficient to meet all their needs. Mary, a woman of beauty and eloquence can be described as one of the prettiest women in the village. Her brown hair, always packed in a messy ponytail complemented her golden brown and velvety smooth skin. Her well sculpted body was the eye of the storm, her clothes does nothing to hide her perfect figure. She walked like she counted her steps- every step exuding class from the pores of her skin. She fell in love with Thomas at the biannual village dance. The fine wrinkle on his face whenever he smiled caught her attention. The soft lines on his forehead whenever he formed a furrow with his brows were the more captivating. She could breathe the charm and charisma he generously released into the environment. He was a great dancer too. The ladies swooned and ogled just at the mere sight of him. Mary wouldn’t blame them though, who wouldn’t want such a hunk? She didn’t imagine she’d marry him and drool hopelessly in love with him. They were perfect for each other.

On that day, they had gone to the Richard’s for a reunion and lunch. About three childhood friends come with their wives to share memories and catch up on life once in six months. They left the girls in Mary’s mother, Grandma Dee’s, care. Their perfect lunch was interrupted by a loud bang outside the Richards home. From the quick burst of adrenaline, everyone scampered, seeking safety. The women were stealth and crowded themselves behind the sofa, hoping it offers some sort of protection from whatever the hassle outside was about while the three men tried to understand the situation. The screams became closer and more frequent like a rhythm; people picked off where others stopped screaming. No one in the house could tell what the lack of decorum was all about. They peeked through the slightly opened windows. Thomas looked outside through the walnut-sized opening in the door. Metals were clattering, children crying and blood running freely through the sloping street like dam that could no longer hold its contents. The sight made his insides turn. He was faced with louder terrifying screams and he could see the hopelessness and panic in the eyes of people trying to run away with children, seeking for refuge. Some parents left their children behind, valuing their own lives more than that of those they formed. They were hardened, he thought, because they didn’t turn back to have a second look at their children as they called and tried to reach out for them. Thomas suddenly noticed some strange men making a dash towards the door. He became more aware; the door was unlocked. He quickly tried to bolt the door but it was too late. The men overpowered him. The door hit the ground as it met the force of their kicks and Thomas lay beneath it, almost unconscious. His mouth was dry and his body tried to keep consciousness by the rapid eye blinks. Mary threw all caution to the wind as she quickly made to her husband’s side. Tears already formed in the corner of her eyes as her heart melted as what she beheld. Thomas tried to signal her to stay away, run or do anything other than come to him but her resolve was one no one can break. She ran to him, quickly went on her knees and tried to move the door that kept her husband under when a bat from the head of the gun sent her head first to the cold hard ground. She felt some warmth around her ears and life gradually seeping out of her. This wasn’t hot air, it was her blood. She turned to look at her husband and she could see the sadness in his eyes. She managed to raise her right hand as she gently brushed it over his face. She swore in her heart that she understood his pain for she felt it too. She managed a slight smile, knowing she’d not change anything. Her only sorrow were her girls, oh, how she yearned to kiss them one last time and let them know she’ll always watch over them. A gun emptied its bullet into her side and everything seemed to pause. Silence. She welcomed the darkness that enveloped her, her heart stopped beating in few minutes. Her husband let out a sharp grunt as he met the same fate. Two bullets were emptied into his heart.

Ray, still in hiding, remembered her sister and instantly knew she had to find her. All her fears melted as she ran into the house, determined to find that one piece that made every puzzle complete. She wasn’t sure where she had kept the dog. This house, made of wood had been home to them since their birth. She ran past the living room which was decorated in a simple manner. Most of the pictures on the wall were baby pictures and family portraits. There was a brilliant chemistry between their parents and even pictures spelt that out perfectly.

As she ascended the stairs, she was soon face to face with Gaby’s door and she pounded on it as hard as she could while trying to catch her breath. Gaby felt her sister’s move was audacious. How dare she have the nerve to come up to my door and hit it this hard especially after she deliberately refused to apologize? She thought. Gaby’s blood pressure spiked, she could hear her own heart beat. Only a fight would calm this raging storm brewing within her. As she opened the door, her mouth became heavy because the look in her sister’s hazel eyes was nothing she had ever seen. Maybe when their parents caught them in a mischief and were about to punish them, but it was a lot more; a million times more. Ray grabbed her and yanked her towards the stairs but a deafening sound forced them back into the room. They hid in the closet as Ray held Gaby’s trembling hands in hers that suffered same fate. Footsteps. Her sister’s room door was open and the footsteps sounded closer. They had seen in movies that invaders looked under beds and in closets and then killed whoever they found. The girls had neither differences nor anger but synced perfectly enough to come to one single hope. They prayed that this day, no one would look into the closet.
Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 8:04am On Dec 07, 2018
I was inspired by Sosa993's story. She gave me some form of motivation. Thank you, Esosa for sharing your story with us.

Freebiez did an amazing job designing my book cover. Thank you!

I invite you all to join me on this adventure. Don't forget to like, share and comment!

Happy reading!
Re: The Ancient Stone by sosa993: 5:28pm On Dec 07, 2018
Annie55:
I was inspired by Sosa993's story. She gave me some form of motivation. Thank you, Esosa for sharing your story with us.

Freebiez did an amazing job designing my book cover. Thank you!

I invite you all to join me on this adventure. Don't forget to like, share and comment!

Happy reading!

Awww thank you so much for the mention. I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Stone by michael123pelemo(m): 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2018
I Have a seat here, Please update.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 8:45am On Dec 08, 2018
....continued

Their guardian angels weren’t far from them because the footsteps retraced. They were alive, at least for today and they were thankful they had each other. They couldn’t wait to be reunited with their parents.

Chapter 2

“Ray, Gaby!!”, Silence. “Girls!!!” a familiar voice cried out louder. It was Grandma Dee calling. They breathed a huge sigh of relief. They had been cramped in the closet for at least two hours. Their leg muscles were numb and the cramped space didn’t make things any easy. Ray had Gaby’s hands cupped in hers and would occasionally free it to wipe off that any tear that dropped from her sister’s eyes, assuring her they would be fine; though she didn’t believe it herself .
Ray had always been the most protective one of the two. She had taken lots of spanks for her sister, scolded and always asked to look after Gaby. Older by ten minutes, their mother had told them, her especially, of how she lightly brushed her hand over Gaby’s face and her little sister giving the purest smile. That was when their parents knew Ray would always take care of her sister.
The girls ran down the stairs forgetting the pain that made their legs wobbly. Visibly terrified, they ran into their grandmother’s arms. Their almost dried tears glistened in the sun that was at its peak. Grandma Dee looked at them with a lot of hurt as she made them promise they would be strong and never give up. All they did in affirmation was to no. It was Gaby who spoke first.

“We want to go to dad and mum. Please, take us to them.” her pleading but terrified eyes shot at their grandmother. Grandma Dee broke the news to them, one that would devastate them and change their lives forever. She had stepped out to buy the fresh milk they needed for cheese when the news of the attack hit her. The news was spreading like wildfire and she immediately became aware of her daughter and son in-law’s passing. She told them their parents had died, about the attack that had begun and the urgency to leave the place called home and run or do anything just to be safe. The girls looked wearily at their grandmother as though her features were more apparent. They didn’t have the strength to cry anymore. Her frail legs could only carry them a certain distance. They stood no chance, they would die. It was as if their grandmother had read their minds because she drew them close, gave each one a kiss on the cheek and told them it will be okay. They didn’t fully understand what it meant but they knew they already miss their parents. Their grandmother quickly asked them to get some food for their journey, lots of water and some clothes but as twelve year olds travelling with a fragile old woman, there was a limit to what they carried carry; food and water that will sustain them for a day and half, only if they ate with a lot of caution.

They travelled east towards the river. Rumors have it that the neighboring village to the west, the Lerians who forever had bad blood with them were coming to attack and maybe enslave them. The Lerians had more sophisticated weapons, both foot and horse soldiers while they in Naya were mostly farmers and fishermen. There was no winning this war. For the two first hours of their search for refuge, no one said a word. Their lips were parched and the sun chose that day to be unfriendly. There’s always extreme of temperatures in Naya. The sand that covered their feet and legs looked like it would be just enough to build a little hut.

Grandma looked even more worn out. She looked at the girls and tried to force a smile, a gesture that was not reciprocated. They tried walk under the shadows the trees casted but the sun was no lesser. The only sound in the woods was that of leaves being crushed by their feet and birds mocking, those birds had to be mocking them! As they stopped for a rest, grandma motioned for water and Gaby handed water in a medium sized bottle to her, she knew better than to take any more than few gulps though her parched throat longed for more. She offered water to the girls who looked like life had long gone out of them but they never reached to take it even though every fibre of their being needed it. She knew they needed to find a place to sleep but was of the realization they had only covered a few kilometers and weren’t far from harm’s reach. They however, couldn’t do more than they’ve done but chose to hope the distance they covered will be enough to keep them safe. The river was still a good way ahead but they were close to the border between their village Naya and a smaller village, Opnalia.

Naya and Opnalia didn’t have any feud but the latter being a smaller village, was more intimidated by the Leria. They were more local with thatched huts and their meadows were more local class. Grandma knew if they’d get into Opnalia they could find someone to give them shelter for the night as her sister, Tessa lived there before she died. She would visit her by a local chariot, play with her kids and often times take Mary to see her cousins. Aunt Tessa was a firm woman but it didn’t mask her nice nature. Her children, Nicole and Ema used to love having Mary around. Nicole had lots of suitors. Being beautiful, every man wanted her. She later settled with Rick, a man from another village who was quite wealthy. Ema was promiscuous, she ran away from home and nothing has been heard of her ever since.

Grandma’s wandering mind was brought back to reality when she heard dried leaves crushing under footsteps. She knew it was neither of the three of them for they were still resting. She drew the girls closer and hid them behind a tree even though the tree wasn’t a perfect cover as their frames were still visible. By now, it was almost dark. Time had flown by so quickly. Either they were too tired to realize it or they ignored it. She could see a silhouette, it looked like a man. He was wielding something in one of his hands. It looked like…a knife. Oh God, it’s a knife.

Hope you enjoyed this episode. Don't forget to like, share and comment. Thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Stone by FlyingTOMATOE: 9:15am On Dec 08, 2018
The build up alright

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 9:23am On Dec 08, 2018
michael123pelemo:
I Have a seat here, Please update.

Amazing!

New update BTW smiley
Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 9:25am On Dec 08, 2018
sosa993:

Awww thank you so much for the mention. I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.

smiley smiley
Re: The Ancient Stone by Wadewaltz(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2018
Annie,dis beta b worth my time.So far so good u might raise up a little challenge against me for December's best writer,altho u can't stand me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 11:08am On Dec 08, 2018
Wadewaltz:
Annie,dis beta b worth my time.So far so good u might raise up a little challenge against me for December's best writer,altho u can't stand me

I ain't competing, I'm just writing tongue
Thanks for reading. See you around.
Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 2:37pm On Dec 08, 2018
FlyingTOMATOE:
The build up alright

Hope you like? smiley

Centino, Souloho19, Silver1996, kingphilip, Sosa993, Divepen1. Please read and drop a comment.

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Stone by skubido(m): 5:13pm On Dec 08, 2018
Following
Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 10:09am On Dec 12, 2018
continued...

It looked like…a knife. Oh God, it’s a knife. She thought aloud and all the panic raced up and down her spine. She didn’t care if she died; all she wanted was to keep the girls safe. She tried to divert attention by walking away from where she hid the girls. Leaves crushed more and more, faster and faster and it became obvious she was running but how far can her feeble legs carry her? There was what sounded to be like footsteps behind her and the pace doubled. In seconds, a hand grabbed and turned her simultaneously. In the dark, she could see his eyes. They were cold, cold as death. She could swear that no emotion ran through them. She feared for her life as the long knife dangled from his trouser’s suspenders. As her frightened eyes slightly drifted to his side, she saw a little boy. He was somewhat taller than the girls but about their age. Seeing the woman’s questioning eyes on the little boy, he shone a beam of light in her face. The sudden brightness that hit her made her cringe. He looked as if he observed her more before loosening his grip and lowering the light. He spoke to her in a tone that matched his cold look.

“What is a woman like you doing alone in the woods”, still shining the light on her, and then continued “at this time of the day, too? Who are you?” As she didn’t respond timely, he shook her whole body as if to bring her back to consciousness. She had observed him and her best shot at getting help was to tell him the truth. There was something mysterious about this man, it made her skin crawl but she didn’t have much of a choice. It was a necessary evil and to live or die was in this decision; one she had no idea the way it’ll swing.

“My name is Delah, I’m a Nayan and I seek…” she was cut short by the way he abruptly let her go, like some sort of reflex. He observed her again, shining the light on her face, again.

“Oh my! a Nayan!! Word going around is that the Lerians think the Nayans possess the ancient stone and they intend to find it, no matter the cost, from the living or dead. Not like you’re living though”, he said with a grin and mockery plastered over his face and continued, “and I have a Nayan before my face. I could use you to get back at the Lerians for all that I lost and pay them back in their own currency. One Nayan is enough as long as they still seek the stone.” His grin grew wider and carried the full weight of evil. She knew he was mysterious, he was more evil.
She feared greatly for the girls. She had lived life in the most sense of it so she didn’t care much about herself. But the girls, they were just orphaned. They have enough pain to last them a long time. As unsafe as the woods are, they have better chances behind the tree than standing before this mean man. Maybe he would reconsider if she implored him again

“Please, help…” Grandma’s pleading voice was again derisively interrupted with a pull. He was pulling her behind him as he made to leave but then, a peaceful voice echoed gently.

“Hi, my name is Kevin. We have some food; you look like you could use some food and water.” the little boy said looking up in her face. The light was faced towards the route the man was pulling her but the boy could see her and her, him. Life somewhat returned to her, a ray of hope at last. She got to hear the most beautiful words filled with love and it came from a boy; the man’s son or companion. She smiled at him and he gave the warmest smile she’d seen all day. This beautiful and soul-engaging moment was once again halted by the older man.

“Kev, you don’t do that! She’s a stranger. People after her will kill her and who ever helps her” the older man said as he turned to the little boy warning him sternly. A flicker of anger shot through his eyes. The boy however, wouldn’t bulge. He wanted the old woman to be safe.

“Dad, she’s old and she needs our help!”, he replied his father while trying to hold back the tears that had begun to form in his eyes. “Mum would want us to help her” he ended.

“Okay, granny”, he said after a momentarily pause “you’re in luck today. You are coming with us but you’ll be out first thing tomorrow morning” he turned to warn grandma Dee and she nodded to show she understood. This development was just the prayer she needed to be answered and she was willing to take this opportunity. She’d talk about the girls. She then spoke to him in a calm but hopeful tone for she realized it’s almost like stepping on a landmine with this man.

“Thank you, sir. Perhaps you would be kind still if my grand daughters come with me. I couldn’t possibly leave them alone” His expression was both of shock and anger. This woman must think he’s some sort of caregiver for the homeless. He thought.

To be continued...
Re: The Ancient Stone by skubido(m): 11:14am On Dec 12, 2018
Tanks for the update

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 2:15pm On Dec 12, 2018
skubido:
Tanks for the update

Thanks for following.
Re: The Ancient Stone by Annie55: 9:41am On Dec 17, 2018
“You have others with you? Who would possibly leave kids in your care? You barely survived yourself!” the older man said like he was trying to hold off a huge feat of laughter. Those words struck grandma Dee and she bowed her head. He couldn’t tell if she was trying not to let the words have more impact than it already did or if she was wallowing in anguish.
“They lost their parents. They have just me” she managed to answer under her breath, head still lowered. The man had a flood gate of remorse bursting through his entire body, it made his legs shake for a while and for the first time he wasn’t in control of his emotions; he was speechless;
“I am sorry”, he said to her, his voice trembling. He cursed himself under his breath and then continued “They can come too.” Her mood instantly went off the roof. She called for the girls; she screamed for them in excitement and they ran to her. They all shared a hug and this hug became the peace they’ve had in what felt like ages.

LERIA.
The sound of metals being sharpened echoed in the night, outside the soldiers’ tent. An ostensibly brutish man walked around and between the aisles inspecting each soldier and the work being done. He stood at about six feet with blonde and curly mane. His chiseled face made him a little alluring but people know better than mess with him. Maybe in his mid- thirties, his right arm and legs had scars that appeared like he was born in and for battle. He girded himself with a breastplate and wore a boot. The sound his boot made whenever it kissed the floor could send chills down the spine of any civilian. He wore no smile was on his face and walked with both hands behind his back.
Sometimes called the Lerian dictator, people tell the story of how he was bullied as a child way up to his adolescence and a little into his adulthood. His first wife and child were killed and it toughened him. He enrolled into the army and swore to exact revenge on those who ruined his seemingly perfect and happy life and he did. One man was locked up in a dungeon and tortured for years. His soul had long left his body before he was confirmed dead. Two had their heads cut with a machete while he stood, smiling with satisfaction at the blood that dripped from the blade. The last person feared for his life and tried to escape with his family. The perfect ambush sent him to his grave after he watched his wife and sons thrown over a sword. His soul too, died from the gruesome sight before his body was thrown off the cliff of rocks.

“Commander!!”, a voice called as the person calling ran towards him.

“Commander, Sir!!” the voice repeated, almost panting. The commander turned back to see who called.

“What is it, worm?” he replied as he spat on the ground. The man he spoke to must have felt no hurt from the way he was addressed. It was probably a norm.

“The generals have called for a meeting and they need you there for briefing, sir.” He replied back, trying not to fidget.

“You may leave” the commander said as he walked back, towards a well guarded room that looked like a conference room. Portraits of soldiers hung on the section of the wall like it was a wall of fame. The uniformed men adorned themselves with straight faces.

“Commander Rick, we need to be updated on the strike. Since the warning attack, I guess Naya knows what’s coming. The retreat was to give them a chance to find the stone. How do you intend to bring this stone home?” a man that sat opposite where he stood asked.

“General, Sir, every plan has been perfected. The soldiers are all set and the horses girded. We will ride in two days. The stone will be recovered at all costs even if it means sending Naya to oblivion” Rick answered back with determination written all over his composure.

“Very well, then”, a female voice cut in “but you must keep in mind the importance of the stone. It must be wielded carefully as its importance cannot be overemphasized. We need your men at their best, always. No one touches it but you. Except, of course in a situation where it needs to be safeguarded. We must not underestimate Naya’s will to keep it for itself. Bring it home. Do you understand your duties?” she queried.

“Yes, sir”

“Good luck, then! You’re dismissed” The first man spoke again. Rick gave a salute and walked out.
He understood what he needed to do and strongly believed nothing will stand in his way.

(1) (Reply)

The Tale Of A Private Lesson Teacher / " L.A.Z.Y " - A Short Story. / My Inspiration From Bill Gates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.