Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,730 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church (26618 Views)

Abiola Adebayo: I Used To Hawk Bread To Raise My School Fees (Throwback Photo) / Wale Adebayo: I Relocated To US Because Acting Didn’t Work For Me / Kay Obum: I Thought Of Committing Suicide When I Got Burnt (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Nobody: 5:59am On Dec 08, 2018
Wale Adebayo, the Nigerian actor who became popular in 1997 after he played a lead role in the movie 'Sango' has disclosed that he got burnt while playing same character in church. 

Wale Adebayo who sympathised with a student of the University of Ibadan who recently got burnt while playing the part of Sango, said; 

“I have been playing the part of Sango since I was a kid. Even when I was in the church, we had a cultural troupe and I always acted Sango and of course, I would need to make fire come out of my mouth.

“This was in 1988. When I got into the university in 1992, the church was opening our Ibadan missionary building. The Catholic Youth Organisation of Nigeria presented a cultural play as we had always done since we were children. During the play, when all the ladies bowed before Sango, I came from behind and breathed fire.

“What I had always done, which worked was to put kerosene in my mouth and spit it out, then the fire comes out. That has always been the routine. On this particular day, reverend fathers, governors, and other dignitaries were seated. I did my normal stuff, but unfortunately for me, the play was done outdoors and it was a windy day. I did not take cognisance of the wind and that was how I got burnt. I still have the scars on my hand till date.

“Immediately I breathed the fire with kerosene in my mouth, the wind blew it back at me. My mother was in the crowd, I am her only son and she was so scared that I heard her shout before I started feeling the pain. I still had to finish the show. So, anytime someone tags me in any of those Sango mishaps on social media, they do not know that I quickly go to the victim’s page to make sure the person is alright. I would make a comment and probably follow the person. People do not know why I do that but it is because I have had a similar experience before.”

On if there could be more to such experiences than meets the eye, Wale Adebayo told Saturday Beats; 

“I would not say that it is diabolical but there are things that are just beyond explanation when it comes to the African culture and religion. We might have successfully alienated ourselves from it but it is something we should take seriously. I am confused. I know my religion as a Catholic is strong but I also know that when we were practising the African religion, it was strong as well.

“Anything that has always been strong has the potential to haunt you if you disrespect it. For me, if we disrespect our deities, they would come back to haunt us. If we go out of our way to disrespect it, there would be consequences regardless of how little they are. There are stories that I could tell but I would not want to go into them,” he said.

https://lailasnews.com/i-got-burnt-while-playing-sango-in-church-wale-adebayo/

5 Likes

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by universaltv: 6:08am On Dec 08, 2018
Haa that serious oo
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by tstx(m): 10:39am On Dec 08, 2018
ME NA SUPER STORY I KNOW THIS MAN FROM SHA... NOT SANGO..

Meanwhile yall need to read this.. Especially if you are an African
4 Unethical Medical Experiments That Used Africans As Guinea Pigs

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by mikhe2(m): 10:39am On Dec 08, 2018
grin
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by CastedGist: 10:39am On Dec 08, 2018
shocked
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by NIGHTMARE0O7: 10:40am On Dec 08, 2018
undecided
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 08, 2018
tstx:
Hm

grin grin grin grin grin

I just mistakenly checked your signature. You're a bad boy nigga. Never had the intention of commenting.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Lexusgs430: 10:40am On Dec 08, 2018
Wash wash....
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by BadiratT: 10:40am On Dec 08, 2018
Eyah........
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by wink2015(m): 10:40am On Dec 08, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
Wale Adebayo, the Nigerian actor who became popular in 1997 after he played a lead role in the movie 'Sango' has disclosed that he got burnt while playing same character in church. 

Wale Adebayo who sympathised with a student of the University of Ibadan who recently got burnt while playing the part of Sango, said; 

“I have been playing the part of Sango since I was a kid. Even when I was in the church, we had a cultural troupe and I always acted Sango and of course, I would need to make fire come out of my mouth.

“This was in 1988. When I got into the university in 1992, the church was opening our Ibadan missionary building. The Catholic Youth Organisation of Nigeria presented a cultural play as we had always done since we were children. During the play, when all the ladies bowed before Sango, I came from behind and breathed fire.

“What I had always done, which worked was to put kerosene in my mouth and spit it out, then the fire comes out. That has always been the routine. On this particular day, reverend fathers, governors, and other dignitaries were seated. I did my normal stuff, but unfortunately for me, the play was done outdoors and it was a windy day. I did not take cognisance of the wind and that was how I got burnt. I still have the scars on my hand till date.

“Immediately I breathed the fire with kerosene in my mouth, the wind blew it back at me. My mother was in the crowd, I am her only son and she was so scared that I heard her shout before I started feeling the pain. I still had to finish the show. So, anytime someone tags me in any of those Sango mishaps on social media, they do not know that I quickly go to the victim’s page to make sure the person is alright. I would make a comment and probably follow the person. People do not know why I do that but it is because I have had a similar experience before.”

On if there could be more to such experiences than meets the eye, Wale Adebayo told Saturday Beats; 

“I would not say that it is diabolical but there are things that are just beyond explanation when it comes to the African culture and religion. We might have successfully alienated ourselves from it but it is something we should take seriously. I am confused. I know my religion as a Catholic is strong but I also know that when we were practising the African religion, it was strong as well.

“Anything that has always been strong has the potential to haunt you if you disrespect it. For me, if we disrespect our deities, they would come back to haunt us. If we go out of our way to disrespect it, there would be consequences regardless of how little they are. There are stories that I could tell but I would not want to go into them,” he said.

https://lailasnews.com/i-got-burnt-while-playing-sango-in-church-wale-adebayo/

WHAT AN ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE!
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Pat4321: 10:40am On Dec 08, 2018
So it's fake afterall,it is okay actors get hurt on stage.
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Denikayan: 10:40am On Dec 08, 2018
Me that had muscle pull while making love nko!

6 Likes

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by faithfull18(f): 10:41am On Dec 08, 2018
Okay.
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by haywire07(m): 10:41am On Dec 08, 2018
Dis guy in Super Story. (Frank)

3 Likes

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by BruncleZuma: 10:41am On Dec 08, 2018
grin grin grin grin

Linux Computer...
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by engrrichie92(m): 10:41am On Dec 08, 2018
I love this dude...great actor
#no homo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by spongeisback: 10:41am On Dec 08, 2018
This one didn't even read the content. Na wa oh.
mikhe2:
Na lie... People were Dy act Lucifer why dem nor Dy burn

5 Likes

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by KingLennon(m): 10:42am On Dec 08, 2018
You got burnt because you didn't observe the force of nature.

1 Like

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Lizmania(f): 10:42am On Dec 08, 2018
this guy.chaiii
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by medropoly(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2018
sango.... wink wink wink bad guy cool cool cool
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Bacteriologist(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2018
One of the things I abhor about the Abrahamic religions is the way they demonise a peoples' traditional religion when they're both obviously just as fake as each other.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by DanDeeBoss(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2018
Uncle well-done Oooooo... Don't stop, OK??

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by osemoses1234(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2018
That year
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by kesobprovidier: 10:45am On Dec 08, 2018
hahahah
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by iammarvellux(m): 10:46am On Dec 08, 2018
Ok
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by frobes: 10:46am On Dec 08, 2018
thunder suppose fire you join.... u dey play sango for church ..God for add small thunder join d fire wey burn u ....mtcheew

1 Like

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Andrewkinggg: 10:46am On Dec 08, 2018
I remembered this dude when he used to fly okada up and down. Thank God for his life now. He's now in the US.

2 Likes

Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by easynetsms(m): 10:48am On Dec 08, 2018
grin grin grin

BUY CHEAP INTERNET DATA FOR MTN. CHECK MY PROFILE FOR MORE DETAILS
Re: Wale Adebayo: I Got Burnt While Playing Sango In Church by Ubdavis(m): 10:59am On Dec 08, 2018
Na so

(1) (2) (Reply)

Actress Osas Ajibade Releases Stunning New Photos / Oge Okoye Looks Hot For Awol Awards UK / Agbani Derago VS Leila Lopes; Who's More Beautiful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.