Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! (3388 Views)

Opening: Your Federal Government Is Recruiting Secretly Apply Now! / 9 Words/phrases That Will Ruin Your Cover Letter / “your Cv Should Inform. Your Cover Letter Should Persuade.” Here Is The Reason (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by NoContract(m): 6:40am On Dec 11, 2018
Please stop opening your cover letters with this sentence and all variations of it:

I’m applying for this position because I’m the best candidate for the job.

No, you’re not. The best candidate has the sense to know that she has no idea what the rest of the candidate pool looks like.

This is a bad statement because you have no way of knowing that so it sounds silly/naive/hyperbolic — and plus, pretty much every time I’ve seen someone write this, it hasn’t been accurate. It can even be a strike against you, because if you’re a decent candidate but not perfect, now I have to worry that you don’t have a good sense of the job or of your own strengths and weaknesses.

Somewhere along the way, someone told you to be confident and sell yourself in the job application process. But that means showing me what makes you the best candidate, not just telling me and expecting me to believe it. If you’re the best, your accomplishments are what will make that clear.

https://www.askamanager.org/2018/01/these-are-bad-ways-to-start-your-cover-letter.html
Re: Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by kesikeller(m): 10:10am On Dec 11, 2018
Join dent and get free 1gb of data on any network. When you register you get 315 dent instantly.
Follow the link below to download the app and register.

https://dent.app/aDVjEsuCoS
Re: Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by NigerianBae: 10:39am On Dec 11, 2018
Who does this?
grin

1 Like

Re: Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by techking: 11:21am On Dec 11, 2018
Alryt
Re: Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by Olachase(m): 12:01pm On Dec 11, 2018
if you like write I'm god sent dem no go still call you
in this generation people that are getting job don't need CV

3 Likes

Re: Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by projectreserve2: 12:45pm On Dec 11, 2018
Download Free Research Project Topics & Materials Online.
Click on the link in my Signature to visit website Now!
Re: Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by Keygologistics(m): 3:34pm On Dec 11, 2018
Contact us for a fast, safe and reliable delivery service within Lagos.
Keygo Logistics.
Re: Please, Stop Opening Your Cover Letters With This Sentence! by abuuthmaan: 4:18pm On Dec 11, 2018
if you want to learn Data reselling business, VTU, payment of bills, DM me

(1) (Reply)

First Bank Of Nigeria Insurance (FBN) Graduate Job Recruitment / Urgent Banking Jobs 2012 : Guradian Trust Microfinance Bank Limited (no Agent) / WFO Advisory Text

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.