Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

FG: The Only 2 Ways To Have World Class Educational Institutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG: The Only 2 Ways To Have World Class Educational Institutions (464 Views)

Only 2 Of 7 months have been paid: ASUU Fumes As Tinubu Clears Buhari's Debts / University Students Demand Professor Be Fired For Saying There Are Only 2 Sexes / Without A Speedy And Positive Response From FG, The Strike Will Continue - ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG: The Only 2 Ways To Have World Class Educational Institutions by Warship: 8:39am On Dec 11, 2018
Our national annual budget is too small to fund all public schools.

Private funding is the only option left except Nigeria will increase her GDP which is nearly impossible because we do not want to restructure Nigeria and practice true federalism that enforces resourcefulness at State and LG levels.

My advice to FG is to connect private companies with the universities on the following basis:

1) Upgrading of the labs/workshops.

2) Financing and Commercialization of research works.

3) Tax break every 10years to motivate private companies to continue supporting the universities.

4) First 5years Tax exemption for every new products developed within our universities.

Stanford University in US makes money from the commercialization of their research works in order to fund the university.

The problem with our higher institutions is their inability to find a way to commercialize their research works just as other advanced universities.

Universities ought to be the richest institutions because of their capacity to develop socioeconomic products that can generate funds for them.

Example:

Nigerian Military needs drones to fight BH.
How many universities have taken the bold step to develop military drones that can be sold to the military.?

Nigerians need cheaper energy, how many Nigerian universities have developed biogas systems that can be sold to residential homes, offices etc.?

What our universities are good at, is to divert Accreditation funds instead of buying the equipments needed and yet they make no effort to encourage students-staff research works at departmental/faculty/college levels.

Also FG Should Take Note That, Lack of Funds Is Not The Only Problem With The Universities But Also Lack Of Creativity and Accountability.

I will advice the FG to open a website whereby every dime given to the universities/polytechnics and what it was spent on including the equipment models bought should be made public so that, everyone can go and check the real price in the market or company so as to know if prices were inflated.

In Summary The Only 2 Ways Are:

1) Private Funding To Upgrade, Finance and Commercialize Research Works.

2) Increasing National Revenue In Order To Increase Allocation For The Educational Sector.

This Is My Humble Opinion and Better Ideas Are Welcomed.

2 Likes

Re: FG: The Only 2 Ways To Have World Class Educational Institutions by Donelli: 9:07am On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:
My advice to FG is to connect private companies with the universities on the following basis:

1) Upgrading of the labs/workshops.

2) Financing and Commercialization of research works.

3) Tax break every 10years to motivate private companies to continue supporting the universities.

4) First 5years Tax exemption for every new products developed within our universities.
I agree with the general idea but it is not this responsibility of government. It should be an initiative taken by the institutions as a contractual agreement between their institution and the companies.

These are some of the things that the Deans of faculties, especially the STEM faculties should be looking into.

I don't see why at this age and time a project supervisor will ask his students to work on grinding machine as a degree project, some of which end up as scrap lying around in the workshops; even the reports are tossed into garbage bins and this is no joke.

Methinks, Deans of faculties should establish some working relationship with companies so that the energy and funds students expend will at least count for some worth. Permit me to go crazy here, all these cockroaches running around causing nuisance in the house... Can universities not carry out research on how to weaponize them for military offensive? grin

2 Likes

Re: FG: The Only 2 Ways To Have World Class Educational Institutions by Warship: 9:13am On Dec 11, 2018
Donelli:

I agree with the general idea but it is not this responsibility of government. It should be an initiative taken by the institutions as a contractual agreement between their institution and the companies.

These are some of the things that the Deans of faculties, especially the STEM faculties should be looking into.

I don't see why at this age and time a project supervisor will ask his students to work on grinding machine as a degree project, some of which end up as scrap lying around in the workshops; even the reports are tossed into garbage bins and this is no joke.

Methinks, Deans of faculties should establish some working relationship with companies so that the energy and funds students expend will at least count for some worth. Permit me to go crazy here, all these cockroaches running around causing nuisance in the house... Can universities not carry out research on how to weaponize them for military offensive? grin

Why the FG must also be involved is to pass into law, the concept of tax breaks every 10years for companies that will truly invest in the universities.

(1) (Reply)

Nti Pgde / . / Please Is Jamb Form Out And How Much Is It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.