Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? (371 Views)

Five Things Every Christian Must Know About Sex (must Read) / Seven Things A Christian Must Never Do Because Of Money / 12 Sentences Every Christian Must Never Say Again ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by tobechi20(m): 10:39pm On Dec 22, 2018
When we were kids, our parents told us the reason why tortoise has a rough shell was because he fell from sky and broke his back. We believed them. Today,we know better.

Many years ago, we were told the Yoruba creation story. How man was overcooked and got burnt (black) and undercooked and turned albino This story was passed orally from generation to generation. It was believed this be true by our fore father's . They were illiterates ,so many if the story wasn't documented.

All these were attempt by Man to unravel certain unexplained mystery in nature
While the theme of the story may be to teach us moral lesson. The entire story may not be true.
Few years afterward,

Europeans came with their own Adam and Eve story. They had a book to back it up. We believed them.

We believed that God b and devil were engaged in naira bet on Jobs faithfulness.

Jesus came and in his wisdom, told us that a parable i:n earthly story with heavenly meaning. yet, some if us believed Jesus parables as true happening

Could it be possible that majority of the biblical stories are parables and should not be taken seriously.

Could the Job story be another parable!
What about Adam and Eve story
Adam, Eve, the tree of life, the
tree of good and evil, the crafty evil snake and
Adam and Eve’s expulsion from paradise. The story
has symbolic names for humankind, special trees
and a talking snake – Savoy the
story that is to be interpreted symbolically. At a
simple level, this second creation story offers an
explanation for sexual desire and marriage, why
there is pain in childbirth, why hard labor is required
with its sweat and toil and why snakes crawl on the
ground. At a deeper level it is about what went
wrong in paradise. In a world created by God and
declared by God to be good, why is there so much
pain, suffering and misery?

you’ve ever actually read the text for
yourself, , the one most familiar to people
where God instructs Noah to preserve two of each
species of animals (Gen. 7:15) and the other where
God instructs Noah to preserve seven of each
species of animals (Gen. 7:2). IAre there two floods? or is it an error or the story didn't happen

The bible is sacred scripture for Christians. But
think about this, when the books of the bible were
first written they were not sacred scripture. Instead
they became sacred over time and were eventually
declared to be sacred by our ancestors in the
process of canonization. The documents
themselves are written by humans – they are human
products. But the status of these books over time
became sacred.
Why? Because these Bible stories were interpreted
history, preserved for future generations, not for their
factual accuracy, but their faith-generating
component.
Faith doesn’t mean that we believe in the literal
truth and factuality of the bible regardless of how
improbable or even impossible they seem. Instead,
faith is about something so much more important.
It is about our relationship with God and about
centering our minds and our lives in God and being
faithful to God. It means trusting God. And I can do
that. How about you?
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by Trustme2(m): 11:37pm On Dec 22, 2018
Yes.
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by LordReed(m): 11:55pm On Dec 22, 2018
When was the last time you prayed for the sun to rise or for your bed to be soft and welcoming?
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by Vulcanheph(m): 1:08am On Dec 23, 2018
I know this would offend some religious fanatics out there but I don't believe everything I have read in the bible...
Let us look at this logically :
-A collection of writings that hmwas been documented over a period of over 1500 years.
-This documents was written originally In three languages (Hebrew, Aramic and Greek )
-This scripts were rewritten again and again for preservation.
-They were edited and many parts removed.
-Then translated in more than 2-3 languages before it got to a language you understand.
Somewhere along the way they are bound to be errors, mistranslation, misunderstanding etc.
I don't saw that I don't believe the bible, I just believe that there is a possibility that it isn't 100% accurate.
Anyone out there who feels I'm wrong should tell me if he/she was there over 2000-3000 years ago when everything took place.
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by CreepyBlackpool: 3:02am On Dec 23, 2018
as a rational christian, you can't believe the bible 100%
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by izzou(m): 3:13am On Dec 23, 2018
grin

Quick question sir

How did you get to believe in God?
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by tobechi20(m): 5:39am On Dec 23, 2018
izzou:
grin

Quick question sir

How did you get to believe in God?

I believe in a higher power, A force greater than man. I choose to call him God. some call him Allah, Jehova, energy etc
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by tobechi20(m): 5:40am On Dec 23, 2018
CreepyBlackpool:
true
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by tobechi20(m): 5:41am On Dec 23, 2018
Vulcanheph:
I know this would offend some religious fanatics out there but I don't believe everything I have read in the bible...
-A collection of writings that hmwas been documented over a period of over 1500 years.
-This documents was written originally In three languages (Hebrew, Aramic and Greek )
-Then translated in more than 2-3 languages before it got to a language you understand.
Somewhere along the way they are bound to be errors, mistranslation, misunderstanding etc.
I don't saw that I don't believe the bible, I just believe that there is a possibility that it isn't 100% accurate.
Anyone out there who feels I'm wrong should tell me if he/she was there over 2000-3000 years ago when everything took place.

bitter truth
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by MrPresident1: 6:06am On Dec 23, 2018
tobechi20:
When we were kids, our parents told us the reason why tortoise has a rough shell was because he fell from sky and broke his back. We believed them. Today,we know better.

Many years ago, we were told the Yoruba creation story. How man was overcooked and got burnt (black) and undercooked and turned albino This story was passed orally from generation to generation. It was believed this be true by our fore father's . They were illiterates ,so many if the story wasn't documented.

All these were attempt by Man to unravel certain unexplained mystery in nature
While the theme of the story may be to teach us moral lesson. The entire story may not be true.
Few years afterward,

Europeans came with their own Adam and Eve story. They had a book to back it up. We believed them.

We believed that God b and devil were engaged in naira bet on Jobs faithfulness.

Jesus came and in his wisdom, told us that a parable i:n earthly story with heavenly meaning. yet, some if us believed Jesus parables as true happening

Could it be possible that majority of the biblical stories are parables and should not be taken seriously.

Could the Job story be another parable!
What about Adam and Eve story
Adam, Eve, the tree of life, the
tree of good and evil, the crafty evil snake and
Adam and Eve’s expulsion from paradise. The story
has symbolic names for humankind, special trees
and a talking snake – Savoy the
story that is to be interpreted symbolically. At a
simple level, this second creation story offers an
explanation for sexual desire and marriage, why
there is pain in childbirth, why hard labor is required
with its sweat and toil and why snakes crawl on the
ground. At a deeper level it is about what went
wrong in paradise. In a world created by God and
declared by God to be good, why is there so much
pain, suffering and misery?

you’ve ever actually read the text for
yourself, , the one most familiar to people
where God instructs Noah to preserve two of each
species of animals (Gen. 7:15) and the other where
God instructs Noah to preserve seven of each
species of animals (Gen. 7:2). IAre there two floods? or is it an error or the story didn't happen

The bible is sacred scripture for Christians. But
think about this, when the books of the bible were
first written they were not sacred scripture. Instead
they became sacred over time and were eventually
declared to be sacred by our ancestors in the
process of canonization. The documents
themselves are written by humans – they are human
products. But the status of these books over time
became sacred.
Why? Because these Bible stories were interpreted
history, preserved for future generations, not for their
factual accuracy, but their faith-generating
component.
Faith doesn’t mean that we believe in the literal
truth and factuality of the bible regardless of how
improbable or even impossible they seem. Instead,
faith is about something so much more important.
It is about our relationship with God and about
centering our minds and our lives in God and being
faithful to God. It means trusting God. And I can do
that. How about you?

The Bible is not meant to be understood literally 100%. Inside the book, is milk, cheese, meat and bones. More people are stuck on milk, so at the time they should be on meat, they are still stuck on milk so they get angry and frustrated, and start calling themselves 'atheist'. Frustration is when you are ready for meat but your teacher thinks you should remain on milk. The Holy Spirit is our teacher

It's like a school, you move along to higher classes like a conveyor chain
Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:44am On Dec 23, 2018
CreepyBlackpool:

AND THE CRITERIA FOR SELECTING WHAT TO BELIEVE AND DISBELIEVE IS ________________? undecided

1 Like

Re: As A Christian, Must One Believe Everything In The Bible To Be Literally True? by iceboy4752(m): 8:51am On Dec 23, 2018
Vulcanheph:
I agree with you.
1 Chronicoles 29:29 mentions missing books of the Bible like the Book of Nathan The Prophet.

(1) (Reply)

Win Yourself #10,000 In This Festive Season By Doing This Simple Thing(dont Miss / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens : Tuesday, January 8,2019 / How Not To Be Dependent On The beast system In th coming financial/global chaos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.