Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? (18100 Views)

What Is This Called In Your Language? / What's This Vegetable Called In English / What Is This Fruit Called In English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by tobidipity(m): 11:51am On Dec 23, 2018
troubleboi:
Waiting... cheesy

Browse n earn money... Its free..
This browser pays you for browsing the Internet..

Just click on my signature below to get it.

If its free as u claim, ur wahala no go too much like this
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by troubleboi: 11:54am On Dec 23, 2018
tobidipity:

If its free as u claim, ur wahala no go too much like this

It his boss... The more u bring someone you get 15% the person, if the person brings another person you get 10% etc..

Join those making it boss...
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by babyfaceafrica: 11:59am On Dec 23, 2018
mayze:

That's not true..shola,sunkanmi,ogundele,ogunlana...etc
oga,you are wrong,your orthography knowledge is archaic

shola is written sola
n and m are what we call nasal consonants and they are the only consonants in Yoruba language that can receive tone,therefore they can co-occur with other vowels,
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by joyfullyjoyous(f): 12:01pm On Dec 23, 2018
Tomato is called tomati
Guava is called goroba.
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by joyfullyjoyous(f): 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
What is E Ku u le?
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by 2shure: 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
its called
ja
ku
va
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by asiwaju: 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
kunlexbaba2017:
Tomatoes is temosan

Temosan is Ondo Dialect.
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by bluefilm: 12:12pm On Dec 23, 2018
I don't know about that if yoruba.

But in Igbo, it is called tomanto and gwova.
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by bidemi0378: 12:17pm On Dec 23, 2018
successking401:
please help, what is tomato and guava called in Yoruba language?
Timati and Goroba
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by mayze: 12:19pm On Dec 23, 2018
babyfaceafrica:

shola is written sola
n and m are what we call nasal consonants and they are the only consonants in Yoruba language that can receive tone,therefore they can co-occur with other vowels,
Read before u jump to reply...did the guy mention any exception?He said 2 consonants dont follow eachother and i gave him examples..shola written sola by u abi?goan change the name of the people writing it as shola na.can co-occur with other vowels or other consonants? Clap for yourself
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by Olababson23: 12:24pm On Dec 23, 2018
Timati at I goroba
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by liztop2012(f): 12:26pm On Dec 23, 2018
Mandesz:

it's actually TOMATI & GOBA
goroba in yor language. I could remember one woman at my grandparent's then, use to call the tree igi goroba.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by babyfaceafrica: 12:51pm On Dec 23, 2018
mayze:

Read before u jump to reply...did the guy mention any exception?He said 2 consonants dont follow eachother and i gave him examples..shola written sola by u abi?goan change the name of the people writing it as shola na.can co-occur with other vowels or other consonants? Clap for yourself
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by olusegzy01(m): 1:01pm On Dec 23, 2018
You go sabi book o,with this your knowledge for naija ,,you should be working with chevron lol
OgundeleT:

Grova can't be a Yoruba language because two consonant can't follow each other and letter "v" isn't in Yoruba writing. it is gurofa and tomaati
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by Macon1212: 1:10pm On Dec 23, 2018
successking401:

Timati ati goroba
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by omoalayo(m): 1:30pm On Dec 23, 2018
babyfaceafrica:

shola is written sola

And also... sunkanmi is not a word actually in Yoruba ..
It should sound Ola Sun kan mi ... they are different words ... that is how names are in Yoruba...same goes for other names
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by femi4: 1:32pm On Dec 23, 2018
mayze:

That's not true..shola,sunkanmi,ogundele,ogunlana...etc
sh is not acceptable in Yoruba. That's why we have Ṣ

Sunkanmi is a combination of words. i.e Ọlásúnkáǹmí
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by femi4: 1:35pm On Dec 23, 2018
successking401:
Tòmátì
Gúrọ́fà
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by ipobarecriminals: 1:53pm On Dec 23, 2018
lipsrsealed ondo Ekimogun peepz call it Temosan(Tomatoes )
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by Burgerlomo: 2:15pm On Dec 23, 2018
OgundeleT:

Grova can't be a Yoruba language because two consonant can't follow each other and letter "v" isn't in Yoruba writing. it is gurofa and tomaati

Thank you baba Faleti grin

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by Reelmii: 2:48pm On Dec 23, 2018
successking401:
for cure of any infection including staphylococcus aureus, contact me. don't die in silence.a word is enough for the wise. check my signature for contact
(N:B) No PM please. because I won't be able to to access the email.calls/text messages only
is that the yoruba names of those things the op asked
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by holluikon(m): 3:54pm On Dec 23, 2018
successking401:

Tomato - Tomatoosi - ilana Afetiya/Afojuya
Guava - Girofa - ilana Afetiya
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by musicwriter(m): 4:09pm On Dec 23, 2018
mfm04622:
They don't Yoruba names because they are not indigenous to Yoruba land

Ojiofor:

Tomatoes and guava may not be native to Yoruba and so they have to copy from the original or English.
Even Turkey call tomatoes, Domates etc....

I got interested in what you both said and decided to check the name of Tomato and Guava in other languages. It turns out its not as simple as you have it.

Below is what I found.

Arabic- Guava = jawaafa/ Tomato = tamatim

Hindi- Guava = amarood/ Tomato = tamaatar

Malay- Guava = Jambu/ Tomato = Tomato?

Thai- Guava = F̄rạ̀ng/ Tomato = Mak̄heụ̄xtheṣ̄

Russian- Guava = guayyava/ Tomato = Pomidor

German- Guava = Guave/ Tomato = Tomate

Korean- Guava = guaba/ Tomato = tomato

French- Guava = Goyave/ Tomato = Tomate

The part of language (neologism) that makes it possible for the language to keep on coining new words must be very alive in order for any language to keep on inventing new words. While its true a language may borrow words for foreign things but as you can see its not necessarily because guava is foreign that is has to also be called guava in Yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by incogni2o: 4:15pm On Dec 23, 2018
OgundeleT:

Commn sense should tell you it is gurova.
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by gabbasin: 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2018
guava is called kekun in awori/yewa but tomato has no Yoruba name and it is pronounced tumati
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by vicfajeze: 4:58pm On Dec 23, 2018
Timoti And Gilofa
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by Taiwx(m): 5:17pm On Dec 23, 2018
Tomati ati gurofa

here in Ondo we call it temosan!
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by mfm04622: 5:27pm On Dec 23, 2018
musicwriter:

I got interested in what you both said and decided to check the name of Tomato and Guava in other languages. It turns out its not as simple as you have it.

Below is what I found.

Arabic- Guava = jawaafa/ Tomato = tamatim

Hindi- Guava = amarood/ Tomato = tamaatar

Malay- Guava = Jambu/ Tomato = Tomato?

Thai- Guava = F̄rạ̀ng/ Tomato = Mak̄heụ̄xtheṣ̄

Russian- Guava = guayyava/ Tomato = Pomidor

German- Guava = Guave/ Tomato = Tomate

Korean- Guava = guaba/ Tomato = tomato

French- Guava = Goyave/ Tomato = Tomate

The part of language (neologism) that makes it possible for the language to keep on coining new words must be very alive in order for any language to keep on inventing new words. While its true a language may borrow words for foreign things but as you can see its not necessarily because guava is foreign that is has to also be called guava in Yoruba.

It is because it is foreign! All those Both Guava and Tomatoes originated from Central/Southern America. They were Introduced to all other places, reason the names everywhere is a variation of the original names
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by rapwizzy(m): 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2018
Tomato - Timati
Guava - Goba
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by musicwriter(m): 6:45pm On Dec 23, 2018
mfm04622:

It is because it is foreign! All those Both Guava and Tomatoes originated from Central/Southern America. They were Introduced to all other places, reason the names everywhere is a variation of the original names

Bro, I already showed that not all of them is a variation of any so called original name. Its not as simple as that. For example; in Hindi, Guava is amarood. What's the relationship in sound with guava?

In the book, Guns, germs and steel, author Jared Diamond no matter how biased his studies, identified some animals, such as chicken, duck, elephant, etc, and plants such as sorghum, yam, etc, not all indigenous to Europe, yet we all have European names for them outside of Europe. How do you explain sorghum, which originated between Africa and Australia but has neither African nor Australian name?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by mfm04622: 7:55pm On Dec 23, 2018
musicwriter:

Bro, I already showed that not all of them is a variation of any so called original name. Its not as simple as that. For example; in Hindi, Guava is amarood. What's the relationship in sound with guava?

In the book, Guns, germs and steel, author Jared Diamond no matter how biased his studies, identified some animals, such as chicken, duck, elephant, etc, and plants such as sorghum, yam, etc, not all indigenous to Europe, yet we all have European names for them outside of Europe. How do you explain sorghum, which originated between Africa and Australia but has neither African nor Australian name?

Sometimes, even though something is not indigenous to an area, it can be given local name! The fact something doesn't have local name is is a pointer that the thing is not indigenous to the area
Re: Please What Is Tomato And Guava Called In Yoruba Language? by musicwriter(m): 8:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
mfm04622:

Sometimes, even though something is not indigenous to an area, it can be given local name! The fact something doesn't have local name is is a pointer that the thing is not indigenous to the area

Of course, but I said that's not the only determining factor.

If it was as simple as you said, all plants and animals would have the same name or variant of the original name all over the world.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Hails Hilda Baci For Breaking Guinness World Record / Picture Of My Kitchen / How To Make Egg Rolls At Home (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.