Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,565 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? (7111 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by jmoore(m): 9:58am On Aug 06, 2010
Third largest film industry but lacks quality. When will they know that quality counts and not quantity?
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 06, 2010
they are getting the hint but it will take a while because, unfortunately, the people who release the garbage "movies" in 9ja are making money off it and therefore believe they are successful!

there are a few quality ones that i heard of, IJE supposed to be one of them (if not THE only one)
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by NaijaSisi(f): 12:24pm On Aug 06, 2010
Very slowly, but surely at least I hope and pray, Naija will get there in the end. What Mr Brown said about the upcoming movie IJE is true, that is why it is highly anticipated at the mo.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by oludashmi(f): 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2010
They dont engage in a thorough research to produce even if it is 1 movie a year, instead they rush into quantity and competition. The piracy stuff is not helping them too.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 06, 2010
well, the movie industry is a business

and it's core market has no issues with quality

unless nollywood goes international proper, there is practically no fiscal return on high quality movies.

even oscars etal may not help, other than to push the director t hollywood.

in all nollyood is a symptom of the Nigerian malaise of celebrating mediocrity - (we are just 10 years old - etal)
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 06, 2010
Probably when they get idiotic producers/directors like Chico Ejiro,Andy Best and Co out of the picture.
A good movie depends on the producers to an extent.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 06, 2010
i was watching a documentary on the subject (journeymanpictures) and the producer of this NL movie was "bragging" about shooting a full movie in one week and about how they could only shoot ONE scene and therefore good or bad, that scene will have to do.
how can it possibly be about quality in such instances?!
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:08pm On Aug 06, 2010
Nollywood will get there. Already a few producers & directors have taken the cue and have been producing/making quality movies. People like Tunde Kelani, Emem Isong, Kingsley Ogoro, Tade Ogidan, Kunle Afolayan, Jetta Amata etc readily come to mind.

1 Like

Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^^^ can you pls give me some few titles from the guys you quoted so i can check their movies out?
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by NaijaSisi(f): 1:12pm On Aug 06, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

i was watching a documentary on the subject (journeymanpictures) and the producer of this NL movie was "bragging" about shooting a full movie in one week and about how they could only shoot ONE scene and therefore good or bad, that scene will have to do.how can it possibly be about quality in such instances?!

u see, thats just it, like one of the other posters mentioned the release of most of these movies tend to be based on competition, it is a pity that some of these directors are forgetting what movies are meant to be for; public entertainment / teach a lesson
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^^^yeah you right. it is really sad whats happening but i also put the blame on the people who keep buying these low quality movies, weeks in weeks out. . . . . . i guess they dont know better or have no other options.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Bamsyle2(m): 1:25pm On Aug 06, 2010
When the chicken called The Nigerian Leader decides to lay golden eggs for its followers owner . . . cheesy
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by SSaemoenl(m): 1:30pm On Aug 06, 2010
As long as the marketers are the one paying for the films, let's forget about the quality for now. Ciao Not  embarassed
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 06, 2010
Naija_Sisi:

u see, thats just it, like one of the other posters mentioned the release of most of these movies tend to be based on competition, it is a pity that some of these directors are forgetting what movies are meant to be for; public entertainment / teach a lesson

actually, the core purpose of movies from the viewpoint of the producers is to make money.

its directors who are more concerned with artistic direction

one sometimes reads of real fights between directors and producers i the making of classic movies

unless one can produce well crafted movies and still turn a profit, quality will remain a pipe dream
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nuriel22: 1:34pm On Aug 06, 2010
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by BabaOnileK: 1:37pm On Aug 06, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

^^^^ can you pls give me some few titles from the guys you quoted so i can check their movies out?
Quite a lot:
Tunde Kelani - Yellow Card, Thunderbolt (Magun), O Le Ku, Aago Eewo, Arugba, Saworoide
Tade Ogidan - Diamond Ring, Dangerous Twins (more like for parts 1 and 2 for me), Madam Dearest
Kunle Afolayan - Irapada and The Figurine
Jetta Amata - Am not sure but I think he produced the Anini flick.
There are others I do not readily recall the producers - Out of Bounds (starring RMD, Bimbo Akintola's debut I think), OwoBlow

People like Tunde Kelani and Tade Ogidan do not produce more than 1-2 films in a year and I do not think that Afolayan will join the band wagon not after spending over 80 million to shoot The Figurine and he claimed on TV that he had realised over 50 million from cinema shows in Naija and beyond. This was even before the easter viewings.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by VALIDATOR: 1:44pm On Aug 06, 2010
There can not be quality when anti-piracy laws are weak. Why should you spend all your bank loan to shoot a movie when someone can easily duplicate en-mass and sell cheaper than you?

First,there is a need to respect intellectual properties.We can then move forward from there.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by BabaOnileK: 1:48pm On Aug 06, 2010
oyb:

actually, the core purpose of movies from the viewpoint of the producers is to make money.

its directors who are more concerned with artistic direction

one sometimes reads of real fights between directors and producers i the making of classic movies

unless one can produce well crafted movies and still turn a profit, quality will remain a pipe dream

I beg to disagree, Afolayan has made more funds from endorsements, cinema viewings without releasing a video copy than most marketers make in years. Pirates are angry with him but its a wise decision of his. Same thing too with Tunde Kelani. He goes around showing the movies and possibly gets corporate bodies to sponsor and then after a year or two releases it as home video. Arugba had been shown in venues for over 8 months before it was released.

I also watched Kunle Afolayan taking of having corporate viewings. If your company or you and your friends have deep pockets, he would arrange private screenings for you. That is the impact of education, good management skills showing. While Ije is still hyped, am not sure it has made as much funds as The Figurine in box office sales.

If The Figurine was not successful, why do you think everyone is rushing to screen their movies at the cinemas nowadays? I think a new paradigm shift is occurring and I hope its not stifled.
MRbrownJAY:

Have you seen films like Violated or the comedy Apostle Kasali from the producer of Fuji House of Commotion, Amaka Igwe? While I do not watch a lot of Nollywood films I still believe there are quite a good selection though they are far in between.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 06, 2010
VALIDATOR:

There can not be quality when anti-piracy laws are weak. Why should you spend all your bank loan to shoot a movie when someone can easily duplicate en-mass and sell cheaper than you?

First,there is a need to respect intellectual properties.We can then move forward from there.

i understand completely what you mean but that is definitely NOT an excuse to make cheap quality movies. they might as well keep their money et voila, no loss whatsoever. blaming cheap quality on piracy is dumb. look at the booming of the Nigerian music industry,there is some garbage but also some great artist with fantastic work.

BabaOnileK:

Quite a lot:
Tunde Kelani - Yellow Card, Thunderbolt (Magun), O Le Ku, Aago Eewo, Arugba, Saworoide
Tade Ogidan - Diamond Ring, Dangerous Twins (more like for parts 1 and 2 for me), Madam Dearest
Kunle Afolayan - Irapada and The Figurine
Jetta Amata - Am not sure but I think he produced the Anini flick.
There are others I do not readily recall the producers - Out of Bounds (starring RMD, Bimbo Akintola's debut I think), OwoBlow
People like Tunde Kelani and Tade Ogidan do not produce more than 1-2 films in a year and I do not think that Afolayan will join the band wagon not after spending over 80 million to shoot The Figurine and he claimed on TV that he had realised over 50 million from cinema shows in Naija and beyond. This was even before the easter viewings.

thanks
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by sayso: 1:50pm On Aug 06, 2010
never the stage is set such that whenever money is made,quality can come later.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2010
VALIDATOR:

actually, te antipiracy noise will not really make much of a difference

high speed internet is gradually fining its way to naija - which means it will soon no loner be about some piracy barons, but the average joe

it always looks ugly in the press  when big movie companies slam unemployd mothrs with $200,000 fines for file sharing, though that probably won't matter in naija

to be honest on the isue of piracy, the buyers have almost as much blame as the sellers
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by NaijaSisi(f): 1:53pm On Aug 06, 2010
sayso:

never the stage is set such that whenever money is made,quality can come later.

that applies to a lot of things which are Nigerian *smh*
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 06, 2010
BabaOnileK:

Have you seen films like Violated or the comedy Apostle Kasali from the producer of Fuji House of Commotion, Amaka Igwe? While I do not watch a lot of Nollywood films I still believe there are quite a good selection though they are far in between.

nah i don think i have seen any of these movies, will try to see if i can get them online.
if one doesnt live in 9ja, Youtube or a few other sites are the only way to watch some Nollywood flick.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 06, 2010
BabaOnileK:

I beg to disagree, Afolayan has made more funds from endorsements, cinema viewings without releasing a video copy than most marketers make in years. Pirates are angry with him but its a wise decision of his. Same thing too with Tunde Kelani. He goes around showing the movies and possibly gets corporate bodies to sponsor and then after a year or two releases it as home video. Arugba had been shown in venues for over 8 months before it was released.

I also watched Kunle Afolayan taking of having corporate viewings. If your company or you and your friends have deep pockets, he would arrange private screenings for you. That is the impact of education, good management skills showing. While Ije is still hyped, am not sure it has made as much funds as The Figurine in box office sales.

If The Figurine was not successful, why do you think everyone is rushing to screen their movies at the cinemas nowadays? I think a new paradigm shift is occurring and I hope its not stifled.

maybe, but that sounds like an unworkable business model in the long run - how many directors have patrons in corporate nigeria?

the private screenings also sounds odd - sort of elevating movie watching to something exclusive
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by NaijaSisi(f): 1:59pm On Aug 06, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

nah i don think i have seen any of these movies, will try to see if i can get them online.
if one doesnt live in 9ja, Youtube or a few other sites are the only way to watch some Nollywood flick.

nah, if u live in UK and u have sky u can subscribe to Nollywood channel. Or if u would rather not pay, there other channels such as VoxAfrica.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 06, 2010
Naija_Sisi:

nah, if u live in UK and u have sky u can subscribe to Nollywood channel. Or if u would rather not pay, there other channels such as VoxAfrica.

oh really?! didnt know that.
there is a cable channel that shows Nollywood movies exclusively?! woah! i guess Nollywood has come a long way.

on this side of the world, you can forget about watching Nollywood on tv.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by NaijaSisi(f): 2:08pm On Aug 06, 2010
Yh it shows them exclusively, Nollywood movies 24/7 so whenever u feel like u can watch. And they are always showing new movies. They show all genres of nollywood movies from traditional to romantic films. Even yoruba movies. They are trying sha. Used to be free but now u have to pay a monthly subscription to watch the movies.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^^^^yeah US and UK definitely have a huge 9ja population so there is a need for such channel while South America or Asia has a non existent 9ja population (or very little).
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by obinna5000(m): 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2010
"IJE: The Journey" is one of the very few Nigerian films with quality.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by BabaOnileK: 2:52pm On Aug 06, 2010
oyb:

maybe, but that sounds like an unworkable business model in the long run - how many directors have patrons in corporate nigeria?

the private screenings also sounds odd - sort of elevating movie watching to something exclusive

I beg to disagree, the private screenings might not be for few individuals. If you look carefully at the DVD cases you will find that movies are not meant to be shown on oil rigs, on public TV etc. So if the staff club of a company like SPDC, ExxonMobil decides to arrange screening of the movie for their staff its a part of private screening. These are previously untapped sources.

When I was in UI, Tunde Kelani used to come around to screen ThunderBolt - I can attest to the fact that he had a full house for the two shows he did daily on three different days. Infact he had to come back for a second screening one month after.

Cinema viewings are okay but there are few cinemas in the country, there is nothing stopping these producers from going to screen their movies in our universities. That is a litmus test for the acceptability of the movies.If the movie tanks after just one day then its not gonna sell at all.Just imagine showing movies in the federal institutions alone - am sure a good movie shown at NGN500 will likely make tens of millions.

That is why I said producers need business savvy and education.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by tosindguy2: 3:03pm On Aug 06, 2010
I have just One question for them which says, why should they use one story to produce 100 movies within 3 months.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by VALIDATOR: 3:16pm On Aug 06, 2010
@MrBrownJay,
Please look at it this way:
The effect piracy has on the Nigerian music industry is quite different from that of the movie industry.
In music if your work is pirated and duplicated en-mass,you will become more popular and will be called more for live shows.What you can not gain in CD sales you will gain in live performances.But in movies,the money depends almost sticktly on CD/DVD sales.
Here is a quick math:
For a movie that costs 40M naira to produce,if you sell each original CD at 200 naira you will need to sell 200,000 copies to break even but the pirates will break even by selling less than a thousand pirated CDs at 100 naira each because of their much lower cost of production.They will quickly outsell you.Yet,you must fulfill your obligation to the banks.If the law of the land can not help you the only solution will then be to try minimizing your risk by doing it on low budget.

My point:
If the government is aware that the industry is big and a very important revenue generator for Nigeria,why is that industry not well protected like the banking and oil sectors?

NOTE:I am also pissed off when I see the same story line and poor quality in almost all Nigerian movies but then,good stories are a product of a well protected intellectual property and also good quality comes when the law makes it easy for you and not your enemies to reap the fruits of your labor.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman With The Largest Butt Implants In The World (PHOTOS) / 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging / REVEALED: 5 Reasons To Stream Online Entertainment On Supertv App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.