Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,420 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Overhauling Pidgin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Overhauling Pidgin (402 Views)

Some Hilarious Pidgin English Proverbs To Crack You Up / Oyaaa! Waffi Men, Benin Men, Port Harcourt Niggies, Yenagoa Men. Pidgin Contest / Pidgin Words, Meaning And Origin You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Overhauling Pidgin by scholti: 10:01pm On Dec 28, 2018
Pidgin English has the potential to truly bond Nigeria linguistically and create an econonmy of at least 5 billion dollars, spanning a network of media houses, novelists etc.

But the current pidgin, for all its creative subversion takes most of its vocabulary from English and thus has no originality or concrete raison d'etre.

Thus today I am proposing Advanced Pidgin( AP), that deliberately fuses at least 100 words from every one Nigeria's over 500 languages.

Two benefits of Advanced Pidgin Pidgin( AP) ( amongst others)

Greater linguistic conformity amongst Nigerians

By introducing 100 key words from every Nigerian language, vernacular languages would loose their mystery and would be more comprehensible to all. Much of colloquial speech in every language relies heavily on key words, so by making at least 100 words from every Nigerian language available, we are well underway to introducing a pan-Nigerian language.

Creating a vibrant sub-economy

By creating AP we can can create wealth and employment spanning advertising firms, book publishing, broadcasting etc, that touches every part of the country. The latent commercial potentials of Nigerian vernacular languages are ill-harnessed. AV will open a new vista of enterprenual energy and engagement.

Examples of how AP will work

I will start by using Igbo, the only Nigerian vernacular language I speak.
Here are eight Igbo words that can be introduced into AP: Mahadum (university), Ulọ ( pronounced Ulor) - house, mmiri( water), Amamihe( knowledge), onyonyo ( television), ike ( power), jee (go), nso (near)

Here are sample sentences that integrate current pidgin (CP) and Avanced pidgin( AP)

I wan jee ulor - I want to go home.

My mahadum dey nso. - My university is nearby

I wan mmiri. - I want water

Amamihe na ike. - Knowledge is power.

These sentences give an advanced vernacular experience to pidgin. When the 500 plus vernacular languages supply their owns words, AV would be a force to reckon with , able to generate its own vocabulary for science, literature etc .

To be sure current pidgin incorporates words from local languages but they are few and far between. The main bulk of pidgin's vocabulary comes from English and thus there isn't any real distinction between pidgin and English. Advanced pidgin (AP) is an accelerated pathway to jolt pidgin English into the 21st century by synergising Nigerian vernacular languages.

lalasticlala, seun, odumchi, Fulaman198, bigfrancis21

2 Likes

Re: Overhauling Pidgin by davecris(m): 10:09pm On Dec 28, 2018
Op u were making sense until those examples.

Re: Overhauling Pidgin by scholti: 10:19pm On Dec 28, 2018
davecris:
Op u were making sense until those examples.

What's wrong with examples? They are examples of AP (Advanced Pidgin) I proposed above, using Igbo, the only Nigerian vernacular language I know. The beauty of AP is that everyone of the Nigerian over 500 languages would supply words to it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Home / The Most Important Languages Of The 21st Century / It’s Unreal To Think With Prosthetic Limb, Life Becomes Normal – Adenike Oyetund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.