Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi (1163 Views)

Photos From Lionel Messi's First Training At PSG / MESSI: Lessons To Learn From Argentina's Copa America Win / 6th Ballon D'or: Amazing Goals From Lionel Messi Last Season (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by calculator123(m): 6:26am On Dec 29, 2018
The contemporary football wizard, Lionel Andrés Messi, is one of the richest and most revered soccer players of our generation. Last year, the football star raked in an eye-watering $80 million in salary and endorsements, landing him at No. 14 spot on Forbes’ Celebrity 100 in 2017 and the No. 3 spot on Forbes’s list of World’s Highest Paid Athletes (behind Basket player LeBron James and fellow footballer Christiano Ronaldo).

He has literary rewritten the football records books as he has won the world’s most coveted Ballon d'Or trophy five times. He has also won the European Golden Shoe five times and is the all-time record winner.

From the first glance, it may seem that Messi has been given the easy ticket in life. However, it wasn’t an easy ride up.

Messi was born on June 24, 1987, in the Argentinian city of Rosario. At a young age of five, Leo started playing football for a local club coached by his father.

But then, at the age of 11, a checkup at his doctor’s office resulted in a diagnosis of a growth hormone disorder. The doctors wanted to put him on a GH therapy but his parents couldn’t afford the $900 monthly expense required for his treatment.

At the age of 13, Messi’s phenomenal skills impressed FC Barcelona’s officials so much that they offered him the chance to play at their prestigious La Masia Academy. The Catalan giants sponsored Messi’s move to Spain and also offered to pay for his medical treatment.

Although his early years were full of hardship, Leo didn’t let this stop him from achieving his dream of being counted among the pantheon of greats like Maradona, Pele, and Cantona. It was the challenges of his humble beginnings that turned out to be the very driving force behind the realization of his dreams.

Having been lucky enough to experience wealth and poverty, Messi can teach us practical life lessons that we can all apply in our own lives. Here are some of Leo’s quotes that best illustrate his attitude.

1. Fight for your dreams

"You have to fight to reach your dream. You have to sacrifice and work hard for it.” – Lionel Messi

Messi is such an inspiration when it comes to overcoming the barriers to success. He prospered from adversity, instead of being consumed by it. His determination, resilience, and motivation to follow his dreams, against all odds, sustained him through some very dark and difficult times.

So take those first steps, and don’t quit until you get to where you’ve always wanted to be.

2. Learn to accept failure

"Sometimes you must admit that you cannot win all the time." – Lionel Messi

Perhaps a better way of looking at this quote is to look at one of life’s true visionaries – President Donald Trump who penned the phrase “sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war."

The simple truth is that you cannot reach unparalleled heights or make the impossible possible without failure. It may be one epic failure. Or a series of failures – such as Dyson’s 5,126 attempts to create a bagless vacuum cleaner or Edison’s 10,000 attempts to invent a light bulb. Even so, whether we like it or not, failure is a crucial part of goal achievement. Only through defeat can you grow physically, emotionally, and spiritually. And as long as a glimmer of hope remains, so do we.

3. Don’t let the opinions of others hamper your dreams and ambitions

“A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.” – Lionel Messi

When you are in the stadium with thousands of people glaring at you, shouting at you, praising you, cursing you, and doing all sorts of crazy stuff, all you got to remember is why you are there.

Life is a battleground and there is only one opinion – your opinion. Do not allow the opinion of others to sway your beliefs and do not stop until you reach your goals.

4. There is no such thing as overnight success

"It took me 17 years and 114 days to become an overnight success.” – Lionel Messi

Many of us are in such a hurry to success that we excitedly take any shortcuts that come across our way.

The truth is there are no shortcuts to success and it takes a whole lot of hard work. We must get off the long route that leads us to unchartered territories of uncertainty, unsustainability, and delayed outcomes

5.The cornerstone of building any skill is practice

“Every year I try to grow as a player and not get stuck in a rut. I try to improve my game in every way possible. But that trait is not something I’ve worked on, it’s part of me.” – Lionel Messi

When it comes to becoming a world-class expert at any skill, the first thing that probably comes to mind is “practice makes perfect.”

No matter how successful you are, there will always be room for growth. The only way to be the best in what you are doing is to make improvements every day.

Do something that will make you better every day. Read books and articles (like this you are reading). Also, listen to people who will build you and give you every day smile.

Conclusion

Applying these life lessons may not make you as rich or famous as Messi, but it will surely help you become a better person even just by one percent.

Source : https://letterpile.com/inspirational/7-Great-Lessons-Lionel-Messi-Wants-You-to-Learn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by checkolatunji: 6:41am On Dec 29, 2018
Lesson learned

Check Siggy for best deals

1 Like

Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by SadMemories(m): 6:43am On Dec 29, 2018
[/quote] learn what rubbish? this same messi that nearly strangled an AS Roma player to death right? and also drank Pepsi can drink disregarding the warnings of Pep.G. I will rather emulate cr7. Spits!!
Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by ObaKlaz: 7:19am On Dec 29, 2018
SadMemories:

learn what rubbish? this same messi that nearly strangled an AS Roma player to death right? and also drank Pepsi can drink disregarding the warnings of Pep.G. I will rather emulate cr7. Spits!!
To each his own. Emulate your CR7 in peace. You'll surely learn much from him. Try not to be egotistic, petty or being a rapist though - that's worse.

1 Like

Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by izuch(m): 7:49am On Dec 29, 2018
Although his early years were full of hardship, Leo didn’t let this stop him from achieving his dream of being counted among the pantheon of greats like Maradona, Pele, and Cantona. It was the challenges of his humble beginnings that turned out to be the very driving force behind the realization of his dreams.

Abegi, this guy no suffer at all! Person wey Don dey make money at Barça from age 11 and has been living like a king ever since?

1 Like

Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by pharddegreat: 10:36am On Dec 29, 2018
SadMemories:

learn what rubbish? this same messi that nearly strangled an AS Roma player to death right? and also drank Pepsi can drink disregarding the warnings of Pep.G. I will rather emulate cr7. Spits!!
common sense is being sold at shoprite,go get one.!

1 Like

Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by calculator123(m): 1:24pm On Dec 30, 2018
pharddegreat:
common sense is being sold at shoprite,go get one.!
are you by any means related to Tiwa SAVAGE
Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by calculator123(m): 1:26pm On Dec 30, 2018
izuch:

Abegi, this guy no suffer at all! Person wey Don dey make money at Barça from age 11 and has been living like a king ever since?
see as you dey carry suffer for head as if na trophy..Him suffer period
Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by calculator123(m): 1:27pm On Dec 30, 2018
SadMemories:

Your hate would consume you slowly without you even noticing
Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by Cormung: 7:16am On Dec 31, 2018
It is easy to give advice when you are a great footballer and already successful. But he is right in my opinion. Now I'm going through difficult times in my life and his third tip "Don’t let the opinions of others hamper your dreams and ambitions" helps me not to give up. You know, I hurt for money and try to earn it on https://acebet99.com My friends don't accept it at all. It hurts... but I don't give up!
Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by Lordjb: 9:40am On Dec 31, 2018
Nice one...

1 Like

Re: 5 Life Lessons You Can Learn From Lionel Messi by MJBOLT: 11:05am On Dec 31, 2018
6.Be humble

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

OV 0.5 HT And Total Corner Predictions / Five Things Barcelona Must Do To Win The Champions League Next Season / Ronaldo Lands In Turin Ahead Of First Juventus Training Session With Sarri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.