Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,828 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? (850 Views)

Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 07, 2010
When i was looking for a house here in lagos, I saw 5 tombs in one compound and I ran away. Is this a Yoruba tradion?
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by Outstrip(f): 5:52am On Aug 10, 2010
It's not just Yoruba's. My grandfather is buried in one of the bedrooms. The one my uncle uses. Many people bury their loved ones at home
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by Nobody: 5:54am On Aug 10, 2010
kenis:

When i was looking for a house here in lagos, I saw 5 tombs in one compound and I ran away. Is this a Yoruba tradion?

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I've never heard of this b4 undecided
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

true, i saw many tombs.some even on the passages. If ur coming frm the front gate u would c 3, from behind 2.I cant even go with one and i don't think any of my visitor wil. They would hav gone to tell my mum that i live in the cemetery.
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

true, i saw many tombs.some even on the passages. If ur coming frm the front gate u would c 3, from behind 2.I cant even go with one and i don't think any of my visitor wil. They would hav gone to tell my mum that i live in the cemetery.
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2010
kenis:

true, i saw many tombs.some even on the passages. If your coming frm the front gate u would c 3, from behind 2.I cant even go with one and i don't think any of my visitor wil. They would hav gone to tell my mum that i live in the cemetery.
lol mami's boy grin grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by rogodo(m): 4:43pm On Aug 18, 2010
Some do it to prevent their children from selling the property.
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by bawomolo(m): 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2010
my grand mum is buried in her house. her husband in a baptist church.
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 19, 2010
rogodo:

Some do it to prevent their children from selling the property.
grin grin
sure?
If i buy such property,i will level the whole thing. so what different does it make?
Re: Why Do Yoruba's Bury Around The House? by AndreUweh(m): 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2010
There are some areas in Yorubaland where people are prohibited from burying around house. For example, Bodija, Ibadan, where I lived, no one was allowed to bury around the house. It is either at Sango cemetery or else where, but not in Bodija estate.

(1) (Reply)

Are South-south People Actually as they Are Always Depicted / Man Stabbed To Death By S. Africans Just Because He Is A Foreigner Graphic Pics / Why Do People Speak Yoruba And Use English As Sms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.